PDA

View Full Version : Hi Ho, Hi Ho.. it's off to jury we go

Lisa85
10-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Warning: this will be longer than normal 2 to 3 sentence post and is more about look and experience than accessories.

For over 5 years, my bag has been a three pocket N/S organizer. One magnetic flag for sunglasses, one pocket for older kindle and one organizer for vendor punch cards.

Wife thought I needed a new bag and saw a sale. Luckily she asked for my input. Criteria: 1- easy access exterior pocket for sunglasses and 2- cross body style. As I hate losing a arm to hold a bag. It is very hard to find bags with easy access pockets.

I finally found a bagallini and heard some good natured muttering that my stuff is always more expensive. Since there was a sale if spent more, she ordered the second choice bag as well. "what color do you want". I don't care as better to get her participation than get ideal stuff, just not neon color. She ordered a charcoal bag which had 2 nice front pockets. Undisclosed, interior lining was hot fuschia. Ugh, that won't work for unisex bag.So back it went for black with sand lining.

Since the day was to be super boring, the question was which bag to take. The black which will hold a 10 inch tablet, if the cover is removed or the pacific, a nice unisex blue which will barely hold a large paperback. I checked the jury instructions and saw that computers were not allowed. So it will be the blue bag with a simple polo and skinny jeans.

Now the fun part. What will be the reactions? Last time with the NS leather bag there was much profiling and judging. The judge had a major deus complex. I expect even with a dialed down unisex presentation there will be some snide/interesting experiences. If there is anything of interest, I'll post it when I get back.

So far the most interesting response was from wife after she saw the look. "I hate you. You're too good." As she retrieved the pacific bag from the return mailer and said "now we have matching bags". She has a pink coil key ring that she attached to her bag so we can tell them apart.

Fiona123
10-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Jury duty is an important civic duty and in my experience damn interesting. If you are selected and serve let us know how it went, after the judge dismisses the jury. Don't post about the trial while it's going on. Good luck.

Krisi
10-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Is the object to try to get out of serving on the jury?

Kate Simmons
10-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Just be careful. Depending on who you are dealing with, you could possibly be charged with "contempt of court." A lot of Judges aren't that progressive.

Tracy Irving
10-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Being on a jury is a great experience. Until that happens there really isn't much to do to pass the time. Most people are on their phones. We have a museum next to the courthouse and everyone gets a free pass to visit it during lunch break.

Tracii G
10-04-2017, 11:30 AM
I enjoy serving jury duty when asked.
I was the only trans girl last time.
Time before that there were several of us so we all sat together.
Nothing was said and we were all treated just like anyone else as it should be.

Sarasometimes
10-04-2017, 11:51 AM
I don't think you will have any problems with your appearance as long as it is respectful and appropriate for any juror to wear. Now one side or the other may opt not to have your impaneled but who knows how they make those choices? Thanks for serving, way to few are willing (I'm exempt by law in my state now). I did sit many years ago and it was interesting, very interesting and bazaar too.

Bobbi46
10-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Just a thought you might never be able to talk about the intricacies of the trial,
I was in law enforcement in the UK and even after I was not allowed to speak about the trial least of all whilst it was in progress and even now although retired I still cannot being still bound by the official secrets act.
Just a thought.

Tracii G
10-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Sarah I think you mean bizarre.
I have read Harper's Bazaar magazine enfemme at the hair dressers.

Lisa85
10-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Interesting day. What I learned:

1- some judges do their job well and are not endowed with a deus complex
2- CA is different than the Rockies. Out of 150 people, 4 guys carried bags, and mine that felt "large" was the smallest. go figure
3- it's sad that 150 people need to be drafted to get a jury of 14
4- few care if you have a bag and no one comments about it
5- felony trials are complicated
6- google, etc are useless for crime searches
7- DA's don't like people who say they don't like to look at autopsy photos
8- DA's don't like engineers. All the engineers were dismissed.
9- finally don't tell court that juries should not be forced to examine gross autopsy photos.

Kind of glad don't have a 3 week jury service to do. One jury candidate, said, you should have seen the mass exodus at my last calling: a corporate trial with expected duration of 2+ months. over 75% claimed hardship

joank
10-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Wear an NRA T-shirt to the selection pool. You will not be selected. BTW, in my former life I was an administrator and had to make decisions about peoples fate all the time. I no longer want that responsibility, and say so to the judge, plus my NRA shirt gets me dismissed.

Sarasometimes
10-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Lisa,
The problem with jury duty is similar to blood donations, 5% of the population give blood for the other 95%, my sister has been called 11 times for jury duty and her husband has been called twice, something wring with the selection software, I think.

Tracii,
Nice catch, that is what happens when you blindly take the correction offering on spellcheck, Duh. Although I prefer Cosmo or Glamour mags, I too, have read Harper's Bazaar at the hairdresser's, must have been why the spelling looked so right. Thanks for the laugh.

Tracii G
10-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Sara you are very welcome and the spell check is free.

Joank last date I had for jury selection I wore my Hello Kitty Kalishnakov T shirt.
I was dressed enfemme 100% that day as well.
Didn't get picked but would have loved to have been on that jury.