PDA

View Full Version : That was sooooo close!

susan54
10-24-2017, 01:45 PM
I went out to a function in a hotel and decided to stay overnight in the hotel. After checking in (fully dressed) I went to shower and change, shaving and re-doing my make up. I was slightly late for the kick-off, and the place was full. The first person I saw as I walked in was a woman I knew! After a few sideways glances I decided it wasn't her. Half-way through the evening, a woman who knew me only as Susan introduced me to this woman ... who turned out to be the woman I had thought she was. I moved on without making a fuss and got talking to a woman I had never met before but she and I got on very well. Later on, the woman I knew came and hugged us both and asked her to join her. I decided to call it a night. My new friend decided to find out if I had been rumbled by joining her and listening, and the guy in the dress wasn't even mentioned. I don't pass and she MUST have realised I was a bloke, just not which bloke - and she had had a few drinks. At the time I could hardly believe that I had not been recognised but not only was I out of context, but I had a very different appearance - wig, dress, make-up, glasses, and the heels would make me look taller. The woman I met was so nice I ended up very much enjoying my evening despite this scary incident. For about half an hour it was HORRIBLE but when she wasn't looking over at me I got some hope I was in the clear. It shows that we worry too much - not only was she close to me twice but she hugged me and did not rumble me!

I could have hidden in my room as soon as I saw her but somehow that did not seem right (and it would not have been). I ended up having a wonderful time and made a lovely new friend. So maybe we should all worry a lot less and just go for it.

Teresa
10-24-2017, 01:57 PM
Susan,
Next time all this will be easier, I can sense the nerves in your thread but most of us do look so different we sometimes have to spell it out to them.

If I may relate a story of coming out to some old friends, I found it easier to show them some pictures rather than tell them. The husband looked at them and then showed them to his wife , he then said does your wife know you are seeing someone else , I had to tell the twice before the penny dropped that it was me in the pictures.

As you found the lady saw someone she might have thought she recognised but in her wildest dreams didn't expect to see you dressed as a woman so she ruled it out as not possible, my friends did the same .

docrobbysherry
10-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Susan, I'm a CD and dress far from home. I visit venues dressed, that folks that know the male me wouldn't ever visit!

But, u make a great point. Few folks that run across a closet CD out, wearing a wig, makeup, fem clothing, and a fem figure, would recognize them all that easily!

I'm sorry she didn't "rumble" u! Whatever that is, it sounds like fun!:heehee:

Leslie Mary S
10-24-2017, 02:22 PM
I read 'Rumble you" as a form of 'Outing You'.
That is why most close CDters do take the long trips, but it is never an absolute assurance that you will not meet someone from home.

- - - Updated - - -

Should we replace the term closeted with Cloistered?

Zoeytgtx
10-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Had a similar occurrence one night out at the movies. Stopped in the ladies room before going home. I was petrified when I saw one of mycoworkers standing outside the door. I smiled, slipped in, took care of business and waited hoping he would be gone when I exited. He wasn't;in fact he chatted me up and followed me out into the parking lot to my car. I FREAKED OUT and texted one of my GG friends about the incident. Was convinced I had been outed. Next day at work saw the same individual but with a beard. It was only then that I realized the guy at the movies was not my coworker, but simply a troll trying to hit on me. They could have been twins!

audreyinalbany
10-24-2017, 02:55 PM
y'know that's one of the reasons I'm not keen on going out dressed with my wife. I figure I can go under the radar since no one is expecting to see male me as female me, but once they saw her, it would be instantaneous recognition.

Kayliedaskope
10-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Sherry, "Rumbled" is another word for "caught" or "gotcha!" In other contexts, a "rumble" could be a fight, a sound during an event like an earthquake, or (God, I'm going to give away my age here) shorthand for the backseat of a car, aka a "rumble seat."

Beverley Sims
10-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Like you I have been amazed by people I know not recognizing me.

susan54
10-25-2017, 01:17 PM
I meant rumbled in the sense of revealed rather than caught. I was not doing anything wrong. Still no sign of any recognition.

Linda P.
10-25-2017, 02:29 PM
"So maybe we should all worry a lot less and just go for it."

Something to think about. You'll never know unless you try it.

sometimes_miss
10-25-2017, 09:25 PM
So maybe we should all worry a lot less and just go for it.
As always, consider the worst possible result, and if you can accept that, then yes, 'go for it'.

abby054
10-27-2017, 04:16 AM
I ran into a coworker while shopping too close to home. He and I had been through hell together on the job, so we were very close friends. He never gave any indication that he recognized me.

Shortly thereafter, I went to a garage sale en femme in my small town and bought a few things. I saw some other stuff but did not buy it. Ninety minutes later, after changing back to drab and on my way to an appointment, I stopped again at the same garage sale. I bought the stuff that I had passed on. The folks even helped me load the stuff, but they gave no indication that they recognized the same customer in both modes.

Apparently, I look different enough that folks do not recognize me from one mode to the other. Even so, I quit going about in my small town en femme. Who knows when my luck may fail?

docrobbysherry
10-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Sherry, "Rumbled" is another word for "caught" or "gotcha!" In other contexts, a "rumble" could be a fight, a sound during an event like an earthquake, or (God, I'm going to give away my age here) shorthand for the backseat of a car, aka a "rumble seat."

Thank u, Kay and Susan. I'm familiar with it's dictionary/wikipedia meanings. Never heard it used in the "revealed" or "caught" context before!:straightface: