PDA

View Full Version : Joined the flying pretty club

Kara in CT
10-26-2017, 06:50 PM
I've read every thread about flying pretty and it's been on my list for awhile. I had a late night short flight to BWI so I thought what better time. I was most nervous about TSA but I think I prepared well. I am pre-check so I wasn't too worried about being randomly selected for the body scan but I left nothing to chance. I had all my jewelry in my purse and even removed my shoes since they have a zipper. All the officers were awesome and treated me as well as any woman. Breezed through...whew!

What I thought would be relatively easy, the walk to my gate, was actually when I almost blew it. I started getting really nervous and then sweating. I guess because I was now committed without any backup plan. I went into a family bathroom and composed myself. After a few minutes I was OK. I took my seat at the gate and it finally hit me...I'm doing this! At this point I was feeling such a rush of excitement!

When they called us to board, I took my place in line then boarded the plane taking my usual window seat. A young woman took a seat next me and we exchanged hellos but that was all.

The shuttle to the rental car facility was nice as the driver was very nice and took care of all my bags. Got my rental and drove to my hotel and checked in.

It was such a great experience and for all intents, really a non event. I don't know that I will ever enjoy travel again unless I can dress. Thanks to all those that have paved the way for me.

Bella.CD
10-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Girl, you are gorgeous, not to mention, very, very passable. You had no reason to be nervous, you pass better than a lot of GGs!

Heidi Stevens
10-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Way to go Kara! I should have joined this club two years ago, but I had way too much luggage, car rental shuttle bus and a strange airport fighting me. This February I will join the ranks of pretty fliers. I have the tickets in hand and I leave from the airport I know best. I’m ready and glad you had a great experience!

Brianna Robyn
10-26-2017, 07:35 PM
Great story. I fly often, including this past weekend. Never had a problem. The usual pat down after the scanner, but the TSA agents are always nice and respectful. They are trained in transgender issues and never mis-gender me. Now you can do anything!

B.R.

Julie Denier
10-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Good for you! ;)

patti1569
10-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Wow! So happy for you! I would love to do that. I commute by train into the city and have always wanted to make the trip while dressed. It seems like such a thrill to travel dressed!

Linda P.
10-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Wonderful! It's great reading of such a happy experience.

BLUE ORCHID
10-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Hi Kara:hugs:, You just have that natural feminine look about yourself.>Orchid...:daydreaming:...

Rogina B
10-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Perhaps you can now see that "it isn't a big deal,unless you make it one"....

Dana44
10-26-2017, 10:04 PM
You are looking good enough to join the pretty girls flying club. Good going.

Persephone
10-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Congratulations Kara! Sounds like you had a great first solo flight! Welcome to The Flying Pretty Club!

abby054
10-27-2017, 03:42 AM
...I commute by train into the city and have always wanted to make the trip while dressed. It seems like such a thrill to travel dressed!

My very first travel experience while dressed was a trip on the same commuter train that I took regularly into the city. In my case, the city was Boston and the date was January 12, 1981. I still remember the trip and the emotions as if it was just yesterday.

alwayshave
10-27-2017, 05:32 AM
Kara, great picture. Good for you, I figure once you get through TSA, everything else is easy.

Elizabeth G
10-27-2017, 05:56 AM
Hooray for you Kara - Congrats! I'm hoping that someday I will be able to join your club.

Jayne44C
10-27-2017, 07:41 AM
First off, you look great! I'm glad things went well for you and that you were treated with respect! I read so many stories that have gone bad and a few where ladies have been accosted.

Jaylyn
10-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Kara now that the first one is over and you are breathing a sigh of relief, will you be flying Pretty from now on. By the way you do look very nice.

Pat
10-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Congratulations! A major milestone indeed. I always recommend pre-check for trans folks. Flying is always a stressful experience, taking a little bit of stress off helps. (I don't recommend it to cisgender folks -- not because it isn't a great thing, but because I want to keep the lines short. ;) )

DianaWales
10-28-2017, 12:10 AM
Nice Congrats !!!!!!

CallieBelle
10-28-2017, 08:03 AM
So brave! And exhilerating! My heart was racing just reading about it. Brava!

Angie G
10-28-2017, 09:15 AM
You go girl.:hugs:
Angie

vicky_cd99_2
10-28-2017, 10:54 AM
So cool girl. Congrats. Someday I will join the club.

countrygirl
10-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Congratulations, I have always wanted to be able to fly as Amanda.

CarleyR
10-28-2017, 11:30 AM
My very first travel experience while dressed was a trip on the same commuter train that I took regularly into the city. In my case, the city was Boston and the date was January 12, 1981. I still remember the trip and the emotions as if it was just yesterday.

I took an evening train once. Far less stressful than a plane trip would have been. Only contact was with the conductor, but it was a great feeling of independence and being in the middle of life and the world en femme.

jazzysherry
10-30-2017, 02:49 PM
This is a great club to be a part of. I find that flying any other way is a frustration and disappointment. 14 flights and counting this year so far. Just deciding if my next flight, international into JFK should be dressed - any advice?

Leelou
10-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Great story Kara, thanks for sharing! You see, now you're the one inspiring others to get out there and do it!

Jamie Christopher
10-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Kara what a great read and thanks for sharing. You always look FAB,

Jamie

StephanieCLT
10-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Congratulations!!! That is huge! Once you get past that initial fear (I remember thinking at the outset when I did it for the first time (I've done it twice now - the first time I documented here), I was thinking "What the heck are you doing???"), it's awesome. It sounds like once you got to the point of relaxing, you really enjoyed it. I was very much the same way. Congrats again!

Oh, and you looked great and perfectly "normal." :)

SunHun
10-31-2017, 08:17 PM
You look so natural! I hope to be able to do that some day but that day is far far far away.

abby054
11-01-2017, 06:34 AM
You look great. It is obvious why you were treated like an ordinary woman with precheck.

I was considering flying pretty until I was sexually assaulted twice this year by TSA agents while in male mode. I learned the hard way that these guys have the complaint / investigation process locked down tight and can sexually assault male passengers almost with impunity. (From the large number of complaints posted on the Internet, they clearly have been busy.) I have not flown at all since, pretty or otherwise, and my livelihood is beginning to suffer. It is time to get back in the saddle...

Who would have thunk it that I am safer from sexual assault by TSA goons en femme than I am in drab?

Kara in CT
11-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Way to go Kara! I should have joined this club two years ago, but I had way too much luggage, car rental shuttle bus and a strange airport fighting me. This February I will join the ranks of pretty fliers. I have the tickets in hand and I leave from the airport I know best. I’m ready and glad you had a great experience!
I felt the same way and had made a few practice runs. When the right time presented myself I just did it.

Kara now that the first one is over and you are breathing a sigh of relief, will you be flying Pretty from now on. By the way you do look very nice.
I wish I could. I don't think my beard growth would cooperate on those coast to coast flights but I flew home from BWI the same way. It was even better this time knowing what to expect.

This is a great club to be a part of. I find that flying any other way is a frustration and disappointment. 14 flights and counting this year so far. Just deciding if my next flight, international into JFK should be dressed - any advice?
14 times I should be asking you for advice. If I was to give any to someone doing it the first time it would be to plan and think it through. When you get on the other side of security there is no place to hide. That's what got me the first time. The second time was perfect!

Congratulations!!! That is huge! Once you get past that initial fear (I remember thinking at the outset when I did it for the first time (I've done it twice now - the first time I documented here), I was thinking "What the heck are you doing???"), it's awesome. It sounds like once you got to the point of relaxing, you really enjoyed it. I was very much the same way. Congrats again!
I think it was your thread that pushed me out the door! it was a great story and it really helped me have an amazing experience.

Thanks to all of you for the great comments! If you have any desire to travel pretty just make a plan and do it! You won't regret it.