PDA

View Full Version : Losing my therapist

Elizabeth G
11-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Hi All,

It was about a year ago that my wife learned of my crossdressing and shortly thereafter we started seeing a therapist who specializes in gender. She has been fantastic and my wife and I both feel we have benefited greatly from our time with her.

Well during our last session she informed us that she is retiring in a few months so I guess it's time to start looking for another one. She has given us a couple of her recommendations but my wife and I don't feel strongly about either so far. Actually there are reasons for each that work against them in our opinions.

No real questions here, just me rambling a bit. Thanks for listening.

Oh well, time to start over...

Pat
11-07-2017, 10:26 AM
You never forget your first. ;) You totally have my sympathies. If you have reservations about the folks she recommended, why not discuss it with her? She may have other recommendations once she knows your concerns.

Elizabeth G
11-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks Pat - that's exactly what we're planning to do next week in our next session.

Elizabeth

Meghan4now
11-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Elizabeth,

Your post sparked a question in my mind. When are you done with a therapist? Will you and your wife always need one? Is there a goal or some other marker or milestone that defines done? Have your needs (individually and as a couple) been met or changed? I think the answers to these questions should drive your quest.

Elizabeth G
11-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Hi Meghan,

Good questions! I would say that in my case since there are no clearly defined goals then my wife and I will be "done" when we no longer feel there is a benefit to continuing. Over time we have covered a lot of ground with respect to my crossdressing and her understanding and acceptance of it. At the same timer we have taken turns and side roads that while not directly related have been well worth the detour. Perhaps we might consider a therapist who is not specific to gender issues.

Thanks for your input - you've given me something to think about.

Elizabeth

Sarasometimes
11-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Look at the Psychology Today website directory. You can look for different specialties and insurance info, gender of therapist...(check with the practitioner about insurance that info may change. Good luck and I can relate. I have had 5 changes due to them getting pregnant or moving but that is the nature of long term therapy.

Stacy Darling
11-08-2017, 04:50 AM
You Ramble and I'll hear you!
And I can hear you from here!

I connect so well with my therapist that I could imagine losing her ( not Pretty ) so I do hope you can find another and wish you the best with it!

Stacy!

Beverley Sims
11-08-2017, 06:02 AM
I had the same feeling after losing the family doctor of twenty years.

You seem to have to start all over again.

Krisi
11-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Do you still need a therapist after a year of therapy? Is there a point where you are "cured"?

Pat
11-08-2017, 01:35 PM
It depends on the individual. I've been seeing mine for about 18 months. We haven't run out of things to talk about.