PDA

View Full Version : Finding a hair style or wig to fit the face

Kathycd
03-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone:

Yeppers, I am a newby so this has probably been yaked about in the past. I am a mature crossdresser and am no hottie like the majority of girls here. But I do try anyway. <smile> I am of the lucky type that does not have to shave legs or whatever as there is not much there to begin with <smile> and what is, is so lite.

I have a square jaw though not overly strong, and have been having trouble locating a wig style or hair-do that fits my face. Has anyone else been there-done that? How do you all, so expertly I might add, find the style for you and the look you want to project?

Many thanks for any responses

Kathy

Kitty Sue
03-12-2006, 03:12 AM
I have the same issue. I really want a new wig but I want to make certain I buy the right one.

VeronicaMoonlit
03-12-2006, 03:35 AM
I'm in this boat too, though it's with my own hair. I just want a style that's flattering and age appropriate. My stylist puts in layers and some bangs but I wonder if there might be a better (prettier) style out there that will work for me.

I know how some of us with our own hair are envied, but sometimes I envy you ladies who use wigs, since some of them look very nice and you can change your total look at a whim too.

Veronica

DanaJ
03-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Here ya go, from the Beauty Trends website:
http://www.beautytrends.com/cgi-bin/E4F632F5/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=bt_size.htm#shapes

Marla S
03-12-2006, 08:33 AM
You can try Mirror of Beauty (http://www.universalhedonics.com/). Besides the default hair styles other libraries can be downloaded. The demo-version is somewhat limited in that, but that can be overcome. ;)

Kathycd
03-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Good morning:

Thank you so much for the replies, and URLs to visit. I will be taking a peek at those. <smile> My goodness but you girls look fantastic!

Kathy

Mardi
03-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Kathy, is there somebody in your area that fit and styles wigs to fit the person getting a wig. I just bought a wig yeasterday that fit wigs to the crossdresser face.

Mardi

Wenda
03-12-2006, 10:37 AM
I have tried buying wigs online with NO success. I have a large head, hat size 7 five-eighths, so getting a properly sized wig is important. My GF and I are going shopping for a wig on our next out of town trip.

JeanneF
03-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Kathy, is there somebody in your area that fit and styles wigs to fit the person getting a wig. I just bought a wig yeasterday that fit wigs to the crossdresser face.

Mardi

That's the best plan...find a quality wig store, and try on a few. Any store that sells wigs that's been around for a while has at least some experience with people like us...you won't be their first male customer who wants to buy a wig. I've spent a ton of money on cheap wigs that didn't fit right or look good on my face, when I finally got the courage to walk into a store and try on a high-quality wig, it changed my world. :happy:

Kathycd
03-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Thank you so much Marla S, and DanaJ, and to everyone. I tried that virtual thing, WOW what an absolute help! I found 2 styles that will fit nicely and also allow me to dress to my age.

Unfortuanately I live in a redneck part of the Country and going into a wig shop around here <small town America> would be, well, not exactly a thing to do.

Now to find the basic of the right foundation, lips stick, assorted brushes and a TON of needed things. <smile>

Thank you so much girls.

Hugs
Kathycd in Oklahoma

Teresa Amina
03-12-2006, 05:47 PM
I have tried buying wigs online with NO success. I have a large head, hat size 7 five-eighths, so getting a properly sized wig is important. My GF and I are going shopping for a wig on our next out of town trip.

Guess I got lucky. The first wig I bought on ebay fit like a glove. shake all you want, it's like part of my head. Have another on the way, human hair not synthetic this time. Hope lightning strikes twice!

HaleyPink2000
03-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Not playing the race card here!

A year ago I did go to a Wig shop and this Lady set up an appoint for me after hours. Because I'm a CD. She measured my head and looked through a few magazines. Tried a couple on me etc. When the wig came in it was a High end wig, hand tied hair etc. It ended being $250.00. Ouch!!!!

I paid her and never did go back, it was one that many " excuse me " High dollar people go to in a white area of town. I'm caucasion and thought I'd be better going to a shop like that. But OH NO! Let me tell you many are there just to take Cross dressers down the road. I found out later that wig should have been $79.00.

Ok since then I have checked in with the TriEss people here in the State. They know the Stores, shops etc, to buy from. I go to this young African American Girl in Champaign Illinois. She's great! The prices are mostly under $50.00.... Also she styles them. I have found out that most African American Wig shops are more friendly than Caucasians shops for the most part. I have been to two Shops non African American and they both had real problems with me being a Crossdresser I could tell. Asking me all kinds of questions and making me not feel welcome. Even though it's their job to sell product.

Not to say to not buy at Caucasian owned and ran shops. But be advised have a pocket full of cash. They might not take a check or credit card from you! LOL:) This one I did deal with did but I’ll never never go there again.

I also deal with Paula Young online. Their catalog shows face shapes and tells you what type a wig would best fit your face shape. The women on the phone are cool also.

Lisa Marie
03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
I have gone to a local wig shop twice and bought two wigs. They were pretty expensive about $250 bucks each. I doubt I will ever go back there again. But the lady did help me out with choosing the right colors. I stay with my own hair color now when buying wigs a dark brown.

Jodi
03-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I just treated myself to a new wig. I got mine from my hairstylist, who does wigs in her shop. This is the 4th wig I have gotten from her. I started last month during my haircut. She brought out her catalogs for me to browse through while in the chair. I narrowed it to three choices. She then gave me her opinion. I got the wig last week. Went into the shop. She fitted it, styled it, and trimmed it. She spent about 1/2 hour showing me the different ways I could style it. She added in a wig head, wig cap, a new wig brush, a bottle of shampoo, bottle of conditioner, and a bottle of shaping spray. Total price $160. The wig is a great quality Henry Margu synthetic wig.

A personal fitting with great quality need not cost an arm and a leg.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance to do some makeup.

Jodi

Crystal Harmony
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
When i got my two wigs i asked the lady at the store to find me a wig that suits my jore line,i tried about 20 on until we found the right one,dont be affarid they are professionals that can find the right one for you.:D