PDA

View Full Version : Post office question

susann_gardener
11-13-2017, 02:31 PM
When I was long distance hiking, I would often send food boxed to the post office near the trail, addressed to "Hold for XYZ hiker expected MM/DD/YYYY". Do you think this would work for CD purchases? Have any of you done this?

Micki_Finn
11-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Are you talking about to have packages delivered to you at home? I believe you can specify that packed being sent to you are held at the post office until you pick up. (If you call your local post office I’m sure they can tell you what you need to do to set that up. They won’t hold packages indefinitely and if you don’t pick them up in a couple of days they’ll send them back. Otherwise you can just get a PO box at the post office or at a Mailboxes Etc, FedEx-Kinkos, UPS store kind of place.

Traci H
11-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Susan, I have not gone that route with the post office as of yet. However some of the local UPS stores will except packages on your behalf and charge a small fee. Some do, some don’t. I have done it several times with one near me and they charge five dollars. I would rent a PO Box if I had a greater need. However for an occasional delivery the UPS store solution works for me. The delivery service to the UPS store can be any one of the common carriers, UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.

alesha
11-13-2017, 07:26 PM
That’s called general delivery and is available all all post offices. They’ll hold it for up to 30 days. You’d address like:
Jane Doe
GENERAL DELIVERY
Any town, CA 90000.

I know a few people that do this but not necessarily for cd purchases.

sarah_hillcrest
11-13-2017, 07:56 PM
I worked for the USPS for a few years doing delivery, and I heard talk of general delivery, but it was rare and I wouldn't trust it. Not all offices accept it, and merchants will not send a package for general delivery. The solution for secret purchases is usually a PO box, or sending your packages to any UPS store which will hold them for you. You can sign up for this service with UPS.

Sorry Traci, didn't read your post where you already answered this. Good answer though!

Stephanie47
11-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Perhaps you can have things shipped with certified mail with a signature required. If you're not home, then a note is left to go to the post office to pick it up.

Megan Nicole
11-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Just checked on this at post office in town where I work last Friday. No general delivery. I can pay $31.00 for six months and have email and packages delivered. Still debating on what to do. UPS store sounds like a good idea too and I’m going to look into it. I have like 5 pair of shoes I want to order from Shoe Show before they are gone. -Meg