PDA

View Full Version : Start of a new chapter...

Lana Mae
12-21-2017, 04:32 PM
I made contact (finally!) with a counselor! I have to get my work schedule so I can schedule an appointment! We talked for a while on the phone. She has done many transgender clients and clients my age! She did not however know what non-binary meant! My insurance should cover this! She said we sound like a match! I guess we will see! I will keep you advised as I go along! Hugs Lana Mae

Julia1984
12-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Hi Lana-mae

I hope it works. Personally I would be slightly surprised if someone said both that they experience of transgendered clients and that they were unfamiliar with the idea of non-binary (gender). See how it goes but remember you can always change horses. These people may be well motivated and may become confidantes but ultimately for most of them it is a commercial transaction at the end of the day.
Julia

Sidney
12-21-2017, 05:46 PM
I agree with Julia. Try and see. Counselor who does not know terms may be a red flag. My counselor turned out to be a lean but was familiar with the LGBT thing so understood. I was fortunate

Pat
12-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Lana Mae -- It does seem a little odd she deals with transgender clients but does not know about the non-binary concept. I know there are counselors who don't accept that non-binary is "a thing," but it seems like she hasn't been keeping up with the field if she doesn't know it exists. Good luck.

JoanneB
12-21-2017, 06:33 PM
All of the best to you Lana. I hope that this chapter has a happy ending.

BLUE ORCHID
12-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Hi Lana Mae :hugs:, Good luck, I wish you all the best, Keep us advised.

I like the new Avatar ! >Orchid...:daydreaming:...

Lana Mae
12-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Julia-I am going to check it out and I will "change horses" if necessary! Thanks for your comments/advise!
Yendis-She has 10+ years of experience working with trans and other LGBTQA persons! See response to Julia! Thanks for your comments!
Pat-Yes, that threw me a little that she did not know what non-binary is! I will give her a try and see what is what with the option of changing counselors if need be! Thanks for your comments!
Joanne-I hope so too! Thanks for your comment!
Orchid-I will keep you advised! My avatar is from my transformation! Jennifer gave me about 5 different looks! Thanks for your comments!
Hugs Lana Mae

Fiona123
12-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Its absolutely great that you are found someone.

The issue of someone being non-binary is at the core of current thinking about gender. Many folks tend to see gender as a binary defined by your private bits (i love medical terms) --you are either male or female there is nothing in between. I have come to learn gender to be far more complex.That a counselor would not be familiar with the term non-binary is to me somewhat of a suprise to me.

Laura912
12-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Glad you found someone that seems promising for now and I hope she is one of the ones in your town.

LaurenS
12-22-2017, 07:21 AM
My counselor turned out to be a lean but was familiar with the LGBT thing so understood. I was fortunate

What’s a “lean”?

Sidney
12-22-2017, 09:46 AM
LaurenS, sorry I was in a hurry when I typed my comment and auto correct got me. "lean" was supposed to be 'lesbian"
LOL. Sorry.

Nikkilovesdresses
12-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Well done Lana Mae- I hope you find the sessions helpful.

That she hasn't heard the term non-binary obviously means she isn't very up to date with TG matters, but then so what? It doesn't mean she won't be an effective counselor.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lana Mae
12-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Fiona-Yes, it was sort of a surprise to me, too! I am just going to go for it and see how it goes!
Laura-She is near our courthouse! Hopefully a good find! We will see!
Lauren-Thanks for asking about "lean" I wasn't sure!
Yendis-Thanks for the clarification!
Nikki-I am going to give her a try and see how it goes! She "sounds" like she is good but we will see! I will keep you informed!
Thanks for your comments!
Hugs Lana Mae

IleneD
12-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Congratulations, Lana.

That is a giant self step to take. So proud of you. Be strong.
Remember we're all still around here to talk things over; in fact, this forum has been MY therapist and counselor in many ways.
Hugs (as you would say).

Amy Lynn3
12-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Wishing you great results as you look to your inner self. Merry Christmas.

Barbara Black
12-23-2017, 08:39 AM
I would take it that she wanted to know what Lana meant by non-binary, rather than guess and seem ignorant, although there isn't much variance in the term to me?
I kinda like the term 'lean'. not that we need more terminology, but it makes me think of someone 'leaning' towards being a lesbian, but who can never actually be one physically. LOL