PDA

View Full Version : Compliment???

5150 Girl
12-22-2017, 10:42 AM
So, I'm talking to a customer and in the course of the conversation she says "well it looks like you're doing well for yourself" and puts her hand on my belly. As I was about to say, "well I don't miss meany meals that's for sure" she then asks "When are you due?" :eek:
I wasn't sure if I should go along with it as I'll likely never see her again, but I just said , oh, I've been stress eating a lot lately, and she was a bit taken back, apologetic and all.... So I said something about how I can't stay out of the chocolate... We ended up having a laugh about my "chocolate baby" In retrospect, I wondered if I should have rolled with it and thrown out a due, or, play it as I did on the chance that she did indeed come back after the holidays like she said.
So ok, on the one hand I was very flattered to have "passed" so well this person thought I was expecting. But on the other, I think it's time to dust off the old mountain bike....

DIANEF
12-22-2017, 10:58 AM
I worked in a store that catered mainly for expectant women, new mothers and young children. We sometimes had to walk a fine line about asking 'when is it due' and upsetting women carrying a few extra pounds, At least you got took for a GG!.

Sheila11
12-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Seems like the customer had no filters. Some people are just like that. Offer offense and never have a clue they are doing it.

Along the same line:
I was offered the advice one time to never risk asking a woman when she is due until you can actually see the top of the baby's head.

Stephanie47
12-22-2017, 11:37 AM
It would be an unusual occurrence for any woman to put her hand on another woman's seemingly pregnant belly. You did not state or confirm you were en femme. If so, then I think she was joking with you. Two things I would never do is (1) make a comment about due dates of a seemingly pregnant woman, and (2) get into the guess my age questions. Remember when a woman does give birth she does not lose the stored excess fat and regain her shape for awhile. It is possible she lost the baby during delivery or it was stillborn. With the age guessing someone thought my wife was the younger of the two sisters (wife and sister-in-law) standing together when my wife is 16 years older than her. It was a brutal assessment of reality and uncomfortable for the person guessing wrong.

With reference to men in general, let alone crossdressing men, I always call the "beer belly" the male pregnant look. Overweight males tend to carry the fat at the belly while women tend to carry it lower in a pear shape.

ShaunaTossaint
12-22-2017, 11:53 AM
I will never bring up the baby question unless is obvious she is pregnant. Too many times I’m just not sure if they are or just plump. And I will never touch another person’s pregnant or not belly. Not in these assessment rampant times. But it must have been fun and comforting to be seen as a pregnant woman.

Laura912
12-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Sage advice contained in this thread. Even as one trained in the field, I never guess how far along things are or, especially, if they are expecting. Doing sprints through a field of land mines is safer.

docrobbysherry
12-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Forget the mountain bike. Dust off the old, "Push yourself away from the table", excercize!:heehee:

But, don't feel bad. After I posted this pic, someone asked when I was due, too!:Angry3:

Kayliedaskope
12-22-2017, 03:51 PM
"Oh, no, I'm not due at all - that's just the fuel cell for a smokin' sex machine."

Yeah .... love to see the fallout from that one ....

Pat
12-22-2017, 05:12 PM
It would be an unusual occurrence for any woman to put her hand on another woman's seemingly pregnant belly.

Are you kidding me? :eek: At least where I'm from total strangers come up and put their hands on pregnant women's bellies all the time. It used to infuriate my wife. Honestly, people who we had not met before that very second would come up, put their hands on her belly and demand to know when it was due, what the sex of the baby was, etc. Maybe it's just a Northeast thing...

Linda E. Woodworth
12-22-2017, 05:16 PM
I learned the "hard" way to never ask a woman if she was pregnant or when the baby was due.

After crashing and burning with that one I then automatically assumed she'd had the baby and was just carrying around some of that extra baby fat.

As this took place at the post office I'm lucky she didn't whip out her government issue phaser right there and burn me to the ground. I've never made that mistake again!

Nikki A.
12-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Well considering I'm well past child bearing years, I don't have to worry about this happening to me. I'd just be glad to be mistaken for a woman.

Stephanie47
02-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Pat, I'm from the Northeast..New York to be exact. Lived there for over 30 years. Maybe it's a new thing, but, I never ever saw anyone go up to a pregnant woman and put hands on her belly. Even relatives. Must be a New England thing!

Micki_Finn
02-14-2018, 07:09 PM
The pregnancy thing is an impossible mine field. The woman could be in labor, Id still avoid mentioning pregnancy.

Tracii G
02-14-2018, 07:10 PM
Maine, Connecticut,Mass and Delaware are way different than upstate New York Stephanie.
I have relatives way up there and they do things like grab your arm or touch you to get your attention and that drives me nuts when I am up there.

Beverley Sims
02-15-2018, 08:29 AM
When I was younger I went to a costume party dressed as a pregnant woman, some put their hand on my tummy and asked when it was due.

There were a couple of ggs there who were pregnant and they "roasted" me with personal questions about "my" pregnancy and embarassing details (for me) of how it was all going to progress.

Later in the evening I asked someone to put their ear to my stomach and listen for any activity.

The first reply was "It's ticking!" .

After that everyone wanted to listen to the activity in my tummy.

The last person got an earful, the alarm clock went off. :-)

If you know the old Westclox wind up clock, it has a loud ticking sound and two bells on top for the alarm.

It was difficult fitting it as the bells needed to be free to make a loud ring at the right time.

All good fun really

Sarasometimes
02-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Hey, if she was really thought your were a pregnant lady from that close, either you are truly passable and congrats for that or her eyesight isn't so good. LOL As for how to lose that look, do table pushaways and join a bar exercise class!

Pat is right, way too many women think it is fine to touch the pregnant belly of a stranger without any thouhgt that it might be inapproapriate. My hairdresser has an 8 month old and when she first started to show as likely being pregnant I had an appointment and the discussion in the salon was about this very thing. All of those in the shop that had been pregnant were on rants about this very behavior! The few younger women were shocked and appaulled, that women did this. One even said, "I really want kids someday but not if strangers are going to be touching me!".

Vaguely related, I recently read an artical about the worse hardships of chemo and I was shocked to read that one of the worst was having strangers ask other women if they could touch their hairless heads!!!??? So sad.