PDA

View Full Version : Is dressing up as a women make me not normal and mental ill?

taylor12
12-23-2017, 03:32 AM
Hello

I am 24yrs old man,

So at first i bought my first mini dress then went out with it for the first time with cheap a wig and got called by a stranger “you happened a girl?” As i did not use hip pads and also i walked like a man.
So after that i bought a dozen of babydoll & mini dress and started to do widening pelvis exercise and making bigger hips and thy mussles exercise to make my cross-dressing look and feel better and which degraded by male body looks.
I do not plan of taking any HRT. As i require my men form also.
So does this make me mentally ill? Or this is normal for straight male

Marie-Jo
12-23-2017, 07:34 AM
To plan not taking any HRT could maybe be an indication of premature decision making, but not mental illness.
To ask cross-dressers if cross-dressing is a mental illness is a really queer question. You should start reading in the forum and see if you can find some leads.
Most of the time I see the opinion that not cross-dressing is causing mental illness. A dozen babydolls and mini dresses looks as a brave start. How about make-up?

Nikkilovesdresses
12-23-2017, 07:51 AM
There's a big and very important difference between being 'not normal' and being mentally ill.

Crossdressers are not 'normal' in a society where most men wear grey suits, or blue jeans and tee-shirts, but dressing differently is not a crime and it does not indicate mental illness.

I agree completely with Marie-Jo that hiding your feelings, pretending that everything is fine when it is not, is much more likely to cause mental illness. By allowing yourself to wear a dress, you are following how you feel inside. You are not mentally ill- but you are also not 'normal'.

There are thousands of members on this forum who feel the way you do. Do we seem mentally ill to you?!

Tracii G
12-23-2017, 08:02 AM
You might have a fetish but mentally ill because you like some womens clothes? No I wouldn't call that mentally ill.
I have worn nothing but womens clothes for a long time and I am perfectly normal.
I have no kinks, fetishes, no sexual fantasies or obsessions.
Seems as tho' you haven't accepted who or what you are yet so its a good thing you joined here the nice people here can help you figure a lot of things out why you feel the way you do.

deebra
12-23-2017, 08:26 AM
taylor12 IMO crossdressers are born with a part of their brain being female and therefore wanting feminine things and live for short lengths of time or full time as a woman. Many here have said it started at 3 or 4 years old, for me it was 4. There are hundreds of thousands of CD's, I think advertising, being sexy and prefering to be soft and feminine and non-aggressive has a lot to do with why. You are not mentally ill, just part male and some female, more female than most guys. Therefore you are normal just different, no different than males being born some with black hair, some blond and some bald. So why the heck isn't society smart or educated enough to see this difference is just normal in some males? Keep wearing girl clothes, it's just normal for us.

Personally I think non CD's are missing out on how good it feels to dress and go about as a woman.

Ressie
12-23-2017, 08:32 AM
Do wider hip exercises work? It seems that you're adding more manly muscle tissue in the hip and leg area. Only a psychiatrist can determine your mental health.

Stacy Darling
12-23-2017, 08:33 AM
I'm definitely a crossdresser!, my singlet reads "Bridesmaid" though!

My wife said that I had mental problems as I cross-dress, so I had a psychiatric assessment!
Now I have a clear mind!

Take care of yourself and stay safe if you go out dressed again.
Stacy!

Pat
12-23-2017, 10:06 AM
It's unlikely you're mentally ill. Here's a roundup of recent science on the topic -- https://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?253723-Our-favorite-quot-Why-quot-questions

There are many kinds of people who crossdress from people who just crossdress to people who are on the path to discovering they're TS. Don't worry too much about it as long as you're doing it because it makes you happy.

Aunt Kelly
12-23-2017, 10:56 AM
There was a time when such behavior was formally designated as a mental disorder. Thankfully, we live in more enlightened times in much of the western world, (North Carolina and certain backwards parts of Texas notwithstanding). :)
Seriously though, Taylor, gender identity and sexual preference are two different things. While it is unusual for men (straight or otherwise) to feel a desire to dress in women's clothes, it is normal. Yes, normal - "normally" a certain percentage of the population is transgender.

Ariana225
12-23-2017, 11:39 AM
I think your questions are a result from society having a negative view about you. But the science is on your side of it just being who you are. Being different from the masses doesn't make you mentally ill, it makes you unique.

Mentally Ill - any of a broad range of medical conditions (such as major depression, schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, or panic disorder) that are marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, or emotions to impair normal psychological functioning and cause marked distress or disability and that are typically associated with a disruption in normal thinking, feeling, mood, behavior, interpersonal interactions, or daily functioning.

I don't think crossdressing, being gay, or transgendered falls in line with that definition. You were born who you are and as long as you're not a bad person then everything is normal and fine about you. Be you with no regrets and you will see it's not you with the problem, but others with a negative opinion about you.

DIANEF
12-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Hello new member! No, I wouldn't say you're mentally ill. A quick read trough some of the pages on this forum will show you that cross dressing covers the entire spectrum from fetish wear to full on presenting 24-7 as a female. No HRT?, probably a wise decision as that is a big step and you would need professional guidance about that anyway. As you are still young you have the time to develop your dressing, and remember this is a great place for any advice you need.

chelyann
12-23-2017, 11:59 AM
welcome
your are NOT crazy, you are just a crossdresser , only you will know IF and when you want to transition in time and ignore what the rest of the world thinks.
maybe you need to get some hip pads if it would help with your figure, try YouTube for videos on how to walk more feminine.
just enjoy life ...

Abbey11
12-23-2017, 12:09 PM
I'd ask the question what is normal? There are over 7 billion people on the planet and we are each unique, just because a large number want to look the same and be drab, I prefer to be me which means being a little more adventurous than the average mr mainstream :daydreaming:, as far as I can tell it is the majority that are missing out :)

Confucius
12-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Normal is what is conventional within society. If only 2% of males ever crossdress in public, then it certainly cannot be considered "normal". However society looks to its youth to challenge social convention and expand our tolerances and freedoms. That means it might not be normal but it may have positive value to society.

Mental Illness has to do with our ability to function productively within society. If a person can be healthy, happy, intelligent, and maintain a good career, then simply crossdressing doesn't constitute a mental illness. It makes him a harmless eccentric and unconventional.

So why do people feel a need to crossdress? I've asked myself that question many, many times. I have come to the conclusion that there are many reasons, and that no two crossdressers are exactly the same. We are all unique. I believe it was hardwired into my brain at a very early age. In reviewing my childhood I discover that I suffered from some gender dysphoria and a very low self esteem. As I grew older I have slowly gained a greater appreciation for myself and my biological gender, however when I crossdress by brain continues to release neurotransmitters which make me feel good. That makes me a straight crossdresser.

Stephanie47
12-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Wearing women's clothing does fall outside societal norms and expectations. Society will label anyone and anything as abnormal, not normal, for whatever reason it wants. Society has a poor track record when it comes to establishing norms and expectations. Even women are still scorned in society for displaying their femininity in manner that do not conform to the expectations of others. I don't thin anyone really can come up with a provable explanation why a man desires to wear women's clothing. My personal belief is there is a dna component to it. Whether a man acts upon that component is another issue. Trying to figure out through therapy is not an indication of mental illness. It can be just a way to figure out how to deal with feelings the person believes are not normal. My desire to wear women's clothing does not interfere with any aspect of my life.
It never has. However, at one time it did cause conflict with my wife. Whose fault was it? Mine for displaying who I am? Or my wife's for adhering to societal norms and expectations of the male gender?

I think within any activity, cross dressing or otherwise, there may be some element that may need therapy. There may be a compulsive disorder present. Why does a natural woman or a crossdressing man need 300 pairs of high heels at the expense of breaking the family budget? A therapy is see for reasons other than cross dressing (residual effects of combat) believes every person has some dna of the opposite sex. Some have more than others. If I carry that theory to its conclusion then there is a pull to bring that person in line with his or her dna. The therapist also believes some activities fall within "retail therapy," i.e., spending money on things to make us feel better. My wife acknowledges she overbuys on her hobby for that reason. And, that's the reason I buy more slips and panties than I'll ever need.

I'll will conjecture believing you're mentally ill will ultimately make you mentally ill. If that's the case I would always suggest some sort of interaction with a therapist.

Shayla
12-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Taylor, You are not mentally ill. But you seem like you have a need to cross dress and NOT doing it may make you stressed or depressed. Be safe.

Lucy Lou
12-24-2017, 04:55 AM
Hi Taylor, you are not mentally ill just different. Unfortunately this world is full of prejudice and if people were really open minded you would not be asking that question. There are too mant people who dress for it to be a little thing. Enjoy it and be safe. Lucy xx

Francene Lola Dupree
12-24-2017, 06:32 AM
Who wants to be normal anyway, I aim to be extraordinary in every way xXx

natalie edwards
12-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Well if you enjoy dressing as much as I do you'd be "crazy" not to!

CarolBrown
12-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Since I, like many others who have read this are most likely sitting fully dressed (for those out of the closet) or wanting to be fully dressed (for those in the closet), would say, no, you're not mentally ill if you want to wear feminine clothing. The only item of clothing that theoretically makes us cross dressing is the Bra (for men) and a jock strap (for women) as was once said by a fashion designer.

Being a MTF cross dresser does step over some society based normalities, but, doesn't make us mentally ill, nor (in my opinion) put us under the banner of Gender Dysphoria (which at best guess is the Mental health issue surrounding it). We are who we are, if you want to be Jane or John then do so, in general, people don't give a monkeys how someone wants to portray themselves.

Welcome to the world of being a Crossdresser.

sometimes_miss
12-24-2017, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't say that we're all mentally ill, but many of us DO suffer from various problems, perhaps more so than the general public. Just reading through these forums, you'll see a large number of us who don't know why we crossdress. Then of course, there's the familiar forced feminization fantasies which might be the result of guilt due to being brought up being told that being feminine in any way is the worst thing we can be. You also have those who insist that they are completely straight, yet, admit that when they dress up as women, ONLY then are they attracted to or turned on by the thought of or actually engaging in physical intimate activity as a female, with a man. In short, there's a lot of feelings and behaviors which don't quite fit, and that brings on the frustration and isolation which then causes other problems.
While it's not exactly either an illness or even a disorder on it's own, crossdressing and transgender feelings are the cause of many other psychological problems for many of us. I'm guessing depression and anxiety are at the top of the list.

Rowan Ailbhe
12-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Transgender....is an umbrella term, under which crossdressing falls...is not a mental illness...has not been classified as such for quite a number of years.
This is a normal variation in the human psyche....

Julia1984
12-24-2017, 07:26 PM
No. Not even in the good old U S of A as I understand it. But suppressing deeply held subconscious or conscious urges, for whatever reason? That can definitely lead to or contribute to a whole slew of "mental illnesses". Depression and anxiety being the two best known. If you can stare those two impostors in the face, you'll be a woman, my son.
Julia

BettyMorgan
12-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Th problem many of us encounter is that people think different is the same thing as abnormal. You are neither abnormal for wanting to wear clothing of a specific gender nor different. You are you.

Shely
12-24-2017, 09:59 PM
there really is no such thing as normal after all.

giuseppina
12-26-2017, 01:18 AM
Crossdressing is not a diagnosable mental illness, Taylor. Gender identity disorder was written out of the DSM's latest revision.

While those with gender identity issues have significantly higher rates of mood disorders (depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc.), I am inclined to think disrespect and abuse by others and not accepting oneself as they are is a significant part of the problem.

I've been told by a psychiatrist that a cause and effect relationship has been found between disrespect/abuse and mood disorders.

The best thing you can do is accept yourself as you are. I realise this is easier said than done. It does require significant thought and work.

Monique65
12-26-2017, 07:38 AM
I have never considered my femme side to be a disorder. I have always accepted it and seen it as part of who I am. I have kept it hidden, though, and am only recently began allowing Monique to have more of my time. Being retired, I don't have to go out and be a man every day, so I can spend more time as my true self. Joining this forum and spending time reading other girl's stories has been very therapeutic for me.

Krisi
12-26-2017, 08:09 AM
"Is dressing up as a women make you not normal and mental ill? "

First of all, a man dressing as a woman is not considered "normal" because the majority of men do not wear women's clothes. Not being normal does not make you mentally ill.

Second, wearing women's clothes does not make a man mentally ill. If anything, it's the other way around, being mentally ill could make you want to wear women's clothes.

You are asking a group of people who joined this forum because they wear women's clothes if crossdressing is a mental illness. I think the answers you get here will be pretty biased. Few of us are willing to admit that we might be mentally ill. Mental illness is not like the flu or pneumonia where you either have it or you don't. The term "mental illness" is pretty vague and pretty much means you are different from the norm or don't have a good grasp on reality.

If you suspect that you might be mentally ill, I suggest seeing a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Otherwise, don't let it bother you.

Sherrii
12-26-2017, 08:58 AM
Probably not "normal" but not ill either. The main problem with CDing is lack of acceptance by friends and family, employment, etc. if that is a concern for you. If you have a strong urge to "dress" it probably will not go away and you might as well accept it and enjoy it. You will have to find a mode that is acceptable to you. You will probably want to find a lady who can share it with you too. If you can "pass" it opens up a lot of possibilities for fun for you and a girlfreind in a relationship. Sherrii.

redtea
12-26-2017, 01:26 PM
it's not a mental disorder as mental disorders tend to be more involuntary. it tends to deal with the brains ability to process information whether it's speech, learning, distortion of the sense and so on.

is it normal? No it's not normal.

But normal is nothing more than the "mask of average" everyone wears. Most people aren't that normal but put on the act of being normal.

Normal is the expectations you think everyone has of you.

It takes guts to be unique and to own that uniqueness and accept it as you.

Pat
12-26-2017, 01:32 PM
is it normal? No it's not normal.

I disagree. It's unusual, but it's not abnormal. We expect to see trans people within any human population -- if there were none, that would be abnormal.

Fiona123
12-26-2017, 01:39 PM
If you are Mtf transgender, dressing in female clothes is normal. Same is true if you are ftm transgender and you dress as a male. In both cases you are NOT mentally ill for dressing as your preferred gender. Period. End of story.

Also dont confuse your gender identity with sexual orientation. You can be mtf trans and like men, or women, or both, any way its normal, NOT a mental illness. Period. End of story.

sherri
12-26-2017, 03:11 PM
I see gurls online from time to time who I suspect are mentally ill, and have even met a couple in person who I considered disturbed. I've also met CDers who were so conflicted about their urges that I know they were in a state of psychological turmoil, although I would stop short of thinking of them as ill. The vast majority of us are definitely NOT ill, we just don't conform to arbitrary cultural "norms". Care must be taken, however, to guard against feelings of isolation, depression and guilt while coping with society's constraints and biases.

Ressie
12-26-2017, 04:02 PM
A local crossdresser in my area just died recently that was schizophrenic. He was my age and I knew him quite well. Throughout the 70s-90s he used to walk all over town dressed in different outfits which made him kind of a legend around town.

Anyway, I don't think CDing had anything to do with his mental health.

Aunt Kelly
12-26-2017, 11:20 PM
"Is dressing up as a women make you not normal and mental ill? "

First of all, a man dressing as a woman is not considered "normal" because the majority of men do not wear women's clothes.

Defining normal through the use of statistics (by using the mode of the set, in this case) is a fools errand. In fact, there is a normal distribution of gender identities in a given population. We can quibble about measurement, sample size, etc., but there is no denying that there is a normal variation. Normal.
Why am I being so pedantic about the term? Because there is a difference between "normal" and "usual", or more importantly, between abnormal and unusual. "Abnormal" carries a heavy implication of defect. I will readily admit to being unusual, but would prefer to not be thought of as abnormal or defective, thank you very much.

Diane Smith
12-27-2017, 01:38 AM
Composing symphonies, running a four-minute mile, or formulating new scientific theories are not talents possessed by "average" or "typical" people either. Yet we admire and memorialize these accomplishments, and we wouldn't consider Beethoven, Bannister or Einstein to be mentally ill by any usual definition. Gender variance is just another of those things that sets some people apart from the rest of humanity, and there's no reason to fear or denigrate it -- perhaps it should be celebrated and rewarded.

Everyone I know, love, spend time with and care about is unique and different from the statistical mean in some important ways. Life would be very boring if everyone around us were average.

- Diane

Heather J
02-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Well I'll admit I am slowly going crazy, but I don't blame it on CDing.

nvlady
02-07-2018, 12:33 AM
Normal? Mentally ill? Well the only thing I can say is on this forum you're normal.

CONSUELO
02-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Definitions of normalcy vary over time and between different societies. What you are doing is not a social "norm" in that most men don't do it but it is not abnormal.
I don't know where you live but if this is an issue that bothers you I suggest you try to find a good gender counsellor and discuss it with that person. In the meanwhile take a close look at the many posts on this site. i think that will make you feel as if you belong and are just normal.

Berinthia
02-08-2018, 06:10 PM
On Fox News, you're crazy, on MSNBC, you're enlightened......Who's to say???
I'd say play the hand that was dealt you, you're not going to win every game.
For every Picasso you see on a wall, there were ten "fake" Picassos that were thrown down on the floor and jumped up and down on.
Everybody's got problems, if yours are drowning you, get help. I saw my Doctor yesterday.

https://image.ibb.co/c7ot8x/the_weeping_woman.jpg (https://ibb.co/hsHWvc)
image hosting websites free (https://imgbb.com/)

MarinaTwelve200
02-08-2018, 07:17 PM
of course, it ALL depends on why. Some of us find it a sexual turn on---for various reasons. Usually something we discovered and get "addicted to". Some, Like me, find it a way to "Take a vacation from myself" and totally relax and unwind. others get a "High" from breaking social and personal "rules". I think it is simply discovering what is FUN and doing it--even if it is a bit "unconventional". Of course CD might be an ADJUNCT to a REAL "mental disorder"---Like actually identifying with someone else or "gender dysphoria" feeling that one is the "wrong Gender" biologically. and trying to "be" at some level, the opposite sex by dressing. But then again, Unless it causes REAL problems don't worry about it. "Mental Disorder", does not necessarily mean "something bad", only different.----No offence to any readers intended. If you do not like my comments talk to me about it

tammy1
02-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Wecome to the forum. You'll find a lot of great information here from any of the regular girls posting here. YOU ARE NORMAL NOT ILL. Many people never allow themselves to explore and get in touch with their inner feelings. FEEL and get in tough with those feelings. Explore them and enjoy the areas you like and avoild those feelings that you don't. have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions openly or privately. You'll enjoy this site. have fun and good luck. Again, welcome to a safe place!

Tammy

donnalee
02-11-2018, 03:07 AM
Yes, you're nuts!
Anyone who would ask a group of crossdressers if you're crazy because you crossdress has to be!

MLane
02-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Normal...yes definitely normal...yes definitely normal...repeat after me.