PDA

View Full Version : Beards

Jasmine Rose
01-10-2018, 10:35 PM
I have only recently changed from being in the category of "I have a lingerie fetish" to the category of "I like to dress like a woman because it just feels good to do it even without the sexual component". I have worn a full beard and mustache for over 5 years now, and it is a big part of how I see myself when I am my masculine self. My beard is about 6 inches long and very full.

While I have been getting more and more in touch with my feminine self, I am not sure I ever want to stop being my masculine self at least part of the time too. Shaving off my beard would be a very extreme thing for me to do, and I am certainly not going to do it on an impulse. If I ever do shave it off, it will be after thinking long and hard about the pros and cons of it.

On the other hand, wearing a beard makes it very hard to look at myself in the mirror and feel very feminine. Feeling feminine is something that is increasingly important to me.

I know many of you in this community dress as women and go out of the house. That is just not something I can imagine myself doing without first shaving. It may be something I don't ever do. On the other hand, being dressed in public might be something that I decide I do want for myself in the future. I am definitely still trying to figure out who I am and what I want to become.

I would really like to hear your thoughts and ideas about beards and crossdressing.

suzanne
01-10-2018, 10:58 PM
First, I do not have a beard or mustache. When I put on a dress or skirt with the intention of going put, I do not try to look like a woman. I try to be the best, most tasteful, presentable version of "man in a dress" that I can be. That's my style and it makes my feminine side very happy to just get out and feel the cool breeze on my waxed legs.

My point is this. There's plenty of room in this world for you to express yourself in any way you like. But I want to urge you to be as tasteful as possible. So a Duck Dynasty beard probably won't go as well with a dress as a more groomed look. But get out there. You might be surprised at how easy it is once you overcome the fears you have been raised with.

Pat
01-10-2018, 11:17 PM
We have a number of people on this site who crossdress and have facial hair, so not worries there. Do what you like -- if you decide to need to change, change. If you don't, don't. There are no rules you have to follow or committees you have to satisfy. ;)

Joni T
01-11-2018, 12:50 AM
I had a full face for over 20 years. Best thing I ever did was getting rid of it.
Jon

Tracii G
01-11-2018, 01:11 AM
I had a beard, mustache and or long sideburns from age 17 until age 53 and the day I shaved it off I was so glad to see it gone.
The facial hair has nothing to do with being a man or exuding masculinity.
To think you can't be a man's man unless you have facial hair seems strange to me now.

Drew GB
01-11-2018, 01:37 AM
I too have a beard and mustache and have been plagued with this dilemma as well especially since my wife has only ever know me with it.

Funny story. Once for Halloween I was going to go as Scotty from Star Trek and since he has no beard well off mine came. Unfortunately I did not warn my wife I was going to do this and when she got home and saw me she ran into the other room and screamed “that’s not my husband” I thought she was going to call the cops till I saw her poke her head around the corner and then whip back saying “I will not look at you till it grows back!” I laughed but sure enough it was about a week or so till she would look at me again.

Anyways I just got a haircut today and one of the things said during my chat with the hairdresser is it’s just hair it will grow back. So for me I will be taking my facial hair down in stages till I feel I am at a stage where it is the last piece of the puzzle to passing in public. Then I will take it off and if need be afterwards I can let it grow back or not depending on how I feel at the time. I do remember that when I took it off that last time I did look 10years younger which is always a bonus. The only thing I know for sure is this time I will give my wife plenty of warning.

Lucy23
01-11-2018, 02:58 AM
I keep a short full beard and a few people have told me that it looks good on me recently. I have a beard just because I like it that way. As for the crossdressing part, I'm a man in the dress and again, I like it that way. I want to wear women's clothes yet I want to present as a man. I'm not out, mind you.

This is where you and I are a little different because I don't have the need to feel feminine. Yes, I can strike a pose or walk in heels in a certain "womanly" manner, but it wouldn't be me.

You could say that I have a really "feminine" style - my clothes are pretty much a definition of feminity in society, you know, heels, tights, dresses, pretty underwear - but on the whole when I'm dressed I don't feel feminine, nor do I seek that feeling. I can't imagine myself being a woman, or behaving like one for that matter. It would come off as if I'm mocking them which I have no intention of doing.

Ineke Vashon
01-11-2018, 03:53 AM
After years of having a beard I shaved it off one day to see what I looked like. I promptly got compliments from two female friends who said I looked much younger :yippee:. I'm older than dirt so I thrive on such compliments. Shaved and dress go together. And, what the hey, if you regret shaving it off, a beard will grow back in a hurry, as daily shaving will remind you.

Ineke

AlissaMurray
01-11-2018, 07:30 AM
I shaved in late November. Kept clean till a week or so ago, stash and goatee coming back in now. I think a lot of us have that same issue. As a "dude" I look much better with the stash and goatee, had them most of my life and most women in my life agree. But, like you said it's really hard to be fem with a stash. I know I won't be out in public trying to pass for a while so time to just enjoy how things fit and feel and stay away from the mirror. Totally understand

Monique65
01-11-2018, 07:37 AM
I've had well groomed facial hair for years. When I dress, I do it for myself, so I am quite comfortable with the results.

NicoleScott
01-11-2018, 07:53 AM
I enjoy my guy life - i just like to dress up at times. I had facial hair and still enjoyed dressing up in private. I resisted shaving it all off, but I knew that I could never achieve the look I desired unless I did. So I did, survived it, no regrets except "why didn't I do this long ago?".
It's a drastic change from a full beard to a smooth face. You could consider trimming the beard back a little, then a little more in several stages, until you get a scruffy look, like you haven't shaved in a week. The final shave might be a softer landing.
You won't lose your masculinity by whacking off your beard. I mean, it's not like whacking off .... ... you know.
The guy looking into the mirror will appreciate seeing a pretty woman instead of a man in a dress.

Diane Taylor
01-11-2018, 07:55 AM
When I started coming out I had a mustache but no beard. I'd had the mustache for 21 years but had absolutely no problem whatsoever shaving it off in order to look as feminine as possible.

Stacy Darling
01-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Its definitely a personal preference and a choice which is yours alone!

I've had a trimmed beard on and off for years, now off for 6mths. To me it was a "Fashion accessory" only and not to enhance my masculinity or reduce my femininity!

So It's your call, You are who you are on the inside!

Stacy!

Ressie
01-11-2018, 09:07 AM
I also could never stand looking at my fem self in the mirror with facial hair. I've been clean shaven for 13 years now.

Krisi
01-11-2018, 10:13 AM
In my opinion, facial hair on a man makes him look older. If you're young, you may want to look older but for those of us who are older, not having facial hair will make us look younger. And of course if we want to look and feel like a woman, facial hair will prevent that. There are some members here who will throw on a dress and a pair of boobs and walk the streets with their beard but of course they have no chance of passing.

If I were in your shoes I would get rid of the facial hair.

DaisyLawrence
01-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Bye bye beard.

SarahleeNH
01-11-2018, 11:09 AM
I’ve had a full beard for 40+ years, and crossdressed for 50. Clearly I can’t go out in a LBD and heels without raising eyebrows. So I dress at home in whatever makes me feel good that day. But Ogften all my clothing is fully fem (ie, purchased from the women’s side of the house. On the outside it presents male, even though the shirts button on the opposite side, and the jeans have small rear pockets. Underneath is all silky and lace. Nails polished with natural color and longish, ears pieced, necklace, bracelets, and boots. And a wonan’s Navy pea coat with infinity scarf. After so many years, one just doesn’t think about it anymore. No one seems to take a second look, and I think my full gray beard masks everything quite well. In fact, I think my beard gives me quite a lot of latitude that allows me to wear pretty much what I want, With obvious exceptions. I’m happy anyway.

NancySue
01-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Being clean shaven including legs is all important for me. My sense is as your feminine feelings continue to increase, you’ll reach the point that feelings and image become primary. I don’t see a beard working into the equation. Time will tell.

SarahleeNH
01-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Oh, and there is no body hair below my neck! For me it’s all in the mind... 😏

Jaylyn
01-11-2018, 11:40 AM
This dressing thing we do is really each and everyone's personal journey to go into femininity as far as they like. Ankle deep, calf deep, knee deep, waist deep, and so on to the total package of full blown female all the time. I say you need to follow your feelings and let your heart be your guide. I usually run around with a partial need to shave look especially on Saturday night. Wife and I attend church on Sunday's and I usually shave Sunday's. I do though find time to dress during the week so you can see I'm in various stages of hair on my face. Even as I type this I'm sitting here in panty hose, heels, bra and forms wearing lipstick with a v neck top and my warm fuzzy pajamas as its raining outside so I'm in for a while. I had the urge to dress and lipstick is all the makeup I applied. I love the stain on my coffee cup and lounging in the house in my attire. I have some beard growth and look scruffy but who cares because I'm pleasing myself. I recommend that's what you do also. I am not out and have no intention to go that far as of yet.
Beards and cross dressing are how the wearer feels about them. Please yourself.

Stephanie47
01-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Unless you are auditioning for the vacancy at a carnival for the "bearded lady" I'd say be clean shaven. Visually emulating a woman and a beard just does not go together, I am fortunate that I remain clean shaven for the entire day....no beard shine which means I can forego beard concealer. My son has grown a very full beard (8 inches plus) and it makes him look decades older. Without the beard he would have a 'baby face' smooth face.

Genni
01-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Those of us that seek to balance masculine and feminine expression have to find a compromise within ourselves that we can live with. In my case the mustache of 30+ years had to go when the desire to allow more feminine expression grew. I reasoned that it's just hair and could always grow back, but that was 10 years ago and I've never regretted shaving it off.

GracieRose
01-11-2018, 12:49 PM
It is your choice to figure out what is right for you. Many (myself included) prefer to blend when out in public (as much as possible). If/when you get to the stage of going out, the beard would be a red flag that you need to be prepared to deal with. It's a personal choice as to what you are comfortable with. Since most people (especially your wife) are accustomed to your beard, shaving will will draw attention. I recommend shaving. You look younger and can present better. I never could grow much more than a light scrappy beard, so it's easy for me to go clean shaven as I always have. The benefit for me is that it takes a while for beard shadow to appear.
After reading Andy Georgia's story of shaving off a beard, I recalled a coworker that had a mustache from before he met his wife. One Monday he came into work with stubble replacing his mustache. He had shaved on a whim and when he walked into the kitchen, his wife screamed, and his child would refuse to go near him.

docrobbysherry
01-11-2018, 01:40 PM
I am wearing my normal beard and stash in my avatar pic, Jasmine!:daydreaming:
I wear masks because I can't stand how I look in the mirror without them. With or without facial hair!:doh:

However, when I go out to T events once or twice a month, I leave the masks at home and shave off my facial hair. Followed the next day by starting to re grow it!:D

Leslie Mary S
01-11-2018, 02:14 PM
For 15 years I was a professional Santa with the whole facial thing.
Around 2008 I realized that there were more Santas then there was Santa work. Zip, off it came. Now I wear fake hair pieces. when I get a rare Santa job.

Francene Lola Dupree
01-11-2018, 04:34 PM
I am naturally beardy, and all the males in the family have a beard. I grew a beard as soon as I was able and kept it for ages.

However, once I was dressing more I began to fluctuate how much facial hair I have at any time.
Sometimes I'm fully shaven and look fabulous dressed. Other times when I'm not dressing so much I'll let it grow out.

I'd suggest if you've had full facial hair for ages is to trim it and gradually shorten it with time and see how you feel as it reduces. Also gives family and friends less of a shock.

xXx

Susan Smokes
01-11-2018, 05:24 PM
I had a full beard and facial hair for most of my adult life, but soon after I started dressing, I began shaving everyday.

Marianne S
01-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Jasmine, I have to respond to your question. Yes, I do know your dilemma!

I too have worn a beard since the time I was in college--on and off. ("Worn a beard on and off," I mean, not "being in college on and off!" And though I say it myself, I think I looked good with it. So did my wife, whom I met while wearing a beard. She always liked it.

In spite of this, for whatever reason I can't remember now, I did shave it off at certain times during our marriage. Since my wife was accepting of me as Marianne, there were periods during our marriage when we were "into" this and I didn't wear a beard. Incidentally our daughter was born during this period, so our daughter remembers me especially without a beard.

But I was unfortunate enough to lose my wife three and a half years ago. In the years after that loss, to compensate for being alone I have indulged myself as Marianne more often than before. After struggling with the beard question. I finally shaved off my beard a couple of years ago so that I could look more feminine when dressed. My wife was very tolerant, but I know she preferred me with a beard, the way she'd known me when we first met and fell in love. That was one factor, though not the only one, that led me to keep my beard. But since she wasn't with me any more, did I "owe" it to her memory to wear a beard for the rest of my life? No, she wouldn't have minded at all. So I shaved it off.

Those are not the only factors involved. The truth is, as a man I do think the beard at my late age makes me look "more distinguished"! There's a lot to be said for that! And I am one of the many here who is still perfectly comfortable expressing a male identity, just as I enjoy expressing a female identity.

In short, I have no ultimate answers to give you. All of life is a tradeoff, that's all I can say. To pursue what is most valuable to us, we're often forced to give up something of lesser importance, but which we still prized. That's just the way it is. What we have to do is tot up the relative values to us of all these things, and decide which is greater and which is less. How important is it to us to be able to present a particular masculine image? How does that weigh against our ability to present a feminine image when we wish to? Anyway do we want to "look female," or are we happy as a "man in a dress"?

The one good thing about a beard is that no decision has to be irrevocable. If we shave it off, we can always grow it again. As a brown-haired man, one idea I've idly contemplated is the possibility of electrolysis, which would get rid of those dark hairs around the mouth and chin and leave my face looking more feminine. But apart from the bother and expense involved, I've never seriously considered it because I'd hate to shut my options down. I'd hate to put myself in a position where I could never regrow my beard even if I changed my mind and wanted to.

You don't have to make an irrevocable decision either. You, like me, can always grow that beard again if we choose. So my advice is to "give it a try." Shave off the beard, and see how life goes for you without it. If that's "not working" for you, you can always grow it again!

MLane
01-11-2018, 07:49 PM
I enjoy my guy life - i just like to dress up at times. I had facial hair and still enjoyed dressing up in private. I resisted shaving it all off, but I knew that I could never achieve the look I desired unless I did. So I did, survived it, no regrets except "why didn't I do this long ago?".
It's a drastic change from a full beard to a smooth face. You could consider trimming the beard back a little, then a little more in several stages, until you get a scruffy look, like you haven't shaved in a week. The final shave might be a softer landing.
You won't lose your masculinity by whacking off your beard. I mean, it's not like whacking off .... ... you know.
The guy looking into the mirror will appreciate seeing a pretty woman instead of a man in a dress.

Nicole the last sentence is so true...

Paige Dehart
01-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Really facial hair or no facial hair is a matter of personal choice. As much as I loved my So's mustache and goatee it had to go because it was in the way.

GeorgeA
01-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Jasmine,

I notice that you just joined. Welcome!

We had recently discussions about facial hair and presenting as women, or not.Since you are new here perhaps you should search for "miad"; "a man in a dress". I coined that term to describe myself and to distinguish myself from "regular" crossdressers. I do have facial hair and dress in skirts & lingerie, but as "a man". I do not pretend or imitate a woman. I spend the whole day dressed or sometimes underdressed, when I have to go out. You mention your feminine self, so you could be different than I.

I have no feminine self, all man, all the time.

You have received some very good advice from others. You should review them and make a decision that is most acceptable to you,

Jasmine Rose
01-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Wow, there is so much food for thought here! Thank you so much! I am very grateful for all of the different points of view.

For the moment, I am going to keep my beard the way it is. I also think there will come a time soon that I will start trimming it down. For those of you who suggested trimming it down in stages, I want you to know that I really liked that idea, and it was something that hadn't even occurred to me before. Eventually, I will probably try shaving it clean. As other people have pointed out, if I really don't like it, I can always grow it back.

When I first asked this question, I felt a little bit afraid of what people might say. I thought some would see me as "not a real crossdresser", or any number of other things. Instead, I received nothing but support and acceptance. This community is so full of wonderful people. I am truly grateful to all of you!

Tracy Irving
01-12-2018, 12:36 AM
Jasmine,
Don't let anyone ever tell you that you are "not a real crossdresser". You are. The wearing of clothes designed for the opposite sex is the way Merriam-Webster defines crossdressing. Shaving your hair, facial and otherwise, as well as applying makeup have nothing to do with that definition. They are an added step that some here take to present a certain way, perhaps the way they feel inside. Do what you think is right for you and have fun.

Becky Blue
01-12-2018, 12:53 AM
To me is quite simple if you think you are a man and you like to put on woman's clothes sometimes then facial hair is irrelevant, if you like looking in the mirror and want to look as realistic as you can then a bread is clearly not going to help.

On the other hand if you feel that you really have a feminine side to you, then to me its a no brainer facial hair has to go.

Monique65
01-12-2018, 08:07 AM
To me is quite simple if you think you are a man and you like to put on woman's clothes sometimes then facial hair is irrelevant,

This sums up my current attitude. Although I wear well trimmed facial hair, I do shave from the neck down. When I look in the mirror, I see my inner woman and I am quite satisfied with the reflection.

Esther Latour
01-12-2018, 02:36 PM
My desire to dress is the main reason I never grew a full beard. I usually go a couple of days without shaving untill my beard gets itchy or until I want to dress.

GeorgeA
01-13-2018, 09:03 PM
To me is quite simple if you think you are a man and you like to put on woman's clothes sometimes then facial hair is irrelevant, if you like looking in the mirror and want to look as realistic as you can then a bread is clearly not going to help.

On the other hand if you feel that you really have a feminine side to you, then to me its a no brainer facial hair has to go.

Becky,
When I look in the mirror I want to see my reflection and not some woman. I'm a miad all the way.

phili
01-14-2018, 12:40 PM
The association of beards with masculine is really deep, since it is reinforced so often. I even have trouble sometimes looking at myself- but that is also my male programming resurfacing.

When I put on the clothes that really speak to me, or of me, or from me, I transform, and my face changes subtly, and becomes soft, and the beard is gone from view- it is just like a type of skin- and becomes a part of my delicacy, and my individuality. Just as you would, if loved a woman with a mustache, begin to see it as part of her unique being, rather than an intruding object of masculinity.

We've all internalized the feminine and masculine idealized forms, but they really do lead to so much self criticism in women, and unnecessary and often unhelpful behavior in men.

Jenny22
01-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Jasmine, the choices are yours alone. If you want to keep your facial hair, don't look in the mirror expecting to see femininity. Clothes don't make the lady. You'll likely never know how truly feminine you could be or feel, such as using makeup to enhance your clothed image, unless you delete the facial hair.
unless and until the facial hair is gone. Good luck in your choice.

wanda66
01-14-2018, 02:12 PM
I have a beard maybe 3 or 4 months a year, when I feel like I want the full girl to come out I shave. I don’t get to go full Wanda offten,when I do it’s all the way. That’s when I get several days in a row. I love lipstick that doesn’t go well with facial hair . Just my thoughts....

Kandi Robbins
01-14-2018, 06:59 PM
For me, you have to make a choice. I had a mustache for about 40 years and it had to go! I was covered from head-to-toe with hair. Gone! Best thing I ever did. Despite what you might read here about those afraid some one will figure them out if they shave something, the truth of the matter is it's NO ONE's business. Live your life as you wish, with or without the beard, you are not hurting anyone. You have to decide if you want to present as a woman or be a guy in a dress.

HollyGreene
01-14-2018, 07:33 PM
I had a beard and moustache for about 25 years. Shaved them off about 2.5 years ago and have never regretted it.

Becky Blue
01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
So here is my question to those of you with facial hair... do you think that perhaps you are holding onto your facial hair as a kind of barrier to keep the girl down?

Monique65
01-14-2018, 08:46 PM
That's an interesting question, Becky. I do see my beard as a last holdout of my male persona. Perhaps I will shave it just to see where I might go.

Helen_Highwater
01-15-2018, 07:00 AM
I know many of you in this community dress as women and go out of the house. That is just not something I can imagine myself doing without first shaving. It may be something I don't ever do. On the other hand, being dressed in public might be something that I decide I do want for myself in the future. I am definitely still trying to figure out who I am and what I want to become.

Jasmine,

There are as you've read some brave souls who go out enfemme beard and all. The vast majority of us who go out seek to emulate the female form as best we can and to blend into the crowd.

As you're seemingly at the start of your CD'ing journey it seems to me you have initially a choice. You keep the beard, dress within the confines of the house and see where that takes you. It may be that you are a fettish dresser, nothing wrong in that, and the status quo suits you fine

You may discover that your desire to grow your femininity increases and you want to achieve an ever better femme presentation. If you get anywhere near that point then that's the time at which the beard goes. If after a period you think you've made a mistake then you grow it back.

No one can predict where this journey will take you. When 30 plus years ago I shaved off my beard to improve my femme look if you'd told me one day I'd be going out to the cinema, travelling on public transport, eating in restaurants, all while enfemme I'd have thought you were mad.

In truth there are no right or wrong answers. You need to do what feels right for you but knowing that may change over time.

Beverley Sims
01-15-2018, 07:53 AM
Sorry Jasmine,

Someday the beard has to go. :-)

Your outlook on life will be so different.

Ozark
01-15-2018, 08:59 PM
I have a full beard and mustache. I take a blood thinner for PE and DVT.... electric razors give me a rash, and I would nick myself and take forever to stop the bleeding.

I have no desire to pass as a woman or to be a woman. I just like to wear women's clothes. I came out in 2015 when I fell on black ice and broke my wrist. I couldn't do zippers or jeans. My wife suggested elastic waist, size 18 chic pull on elastic waists jeans. I like to joke that Im after the Iowa farmwife look. lol

Ceera
01-16-2018, 01:33 AM
For me, eliminating my beard was a critical step in accepting my feminine aspect. But that is because my need is to be seen and accepted as a woman, in public. I can pass and be accepted at face value as a woman. I do it every week! It isn't sexual for me, and really never has been. For me, my need is to live as the person I repressed for most of my life - the woman I could have been, had I not feared rejection by my parents, and especially my father.

I currently spend 95% of my social time and maybe half of my public time en-femme. I simply could not do that with a beard. But I can appear masculine whenever I want to, without my beard.

I had a full beard, usually quite neatly trimmed at 1 to 2 inches long, for the majority of 35 years before I stared crossdressing. My wife, who I was married to for 30 years, hated it when I chose to shave, because it dropped 5-10 years off my apparent age, and she was already 6 years older than I was, so it looked like she was really 'robbing the cradle' when I was clean-shaven. So I only shaved it off a few times, and immediately grew it back.

My interest in crossdressing only began in the last 2 years of my marriage, after the deaths of my parents, and I kept it private and in the house, as I wasn't about to shave and cause my wife any reason to complain, but I also refused to be seen en-femme in public with a beard.

In January of 2014, when my wife died of a heart attack, two things I immediately changed were to cut off my pony tail, and to shave off the beard. Both made it much easier to present en-femme. The shorter hair was easier to hide with a wig, and I was way too bald on top to pass without a wig. Losing the beard was essential, if I wanted any chance of being accepted as a woman.

sometimes_miss
01-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Simple solution, simply don't look in the mirrors!

I had a beard until about ten years ago, when it started turning gray and I looked more like a homeless person, so then was when I shaved it off. Despite the delusion that a salt & pepper beard is somehow sexy, that is pretty much only the case when it's on a rich celebrity. The rest of us usually just look old.

Kandi Robbins
01-16-2018, 05:56 PM
So here is my question to those of you with facial hair... do you think that perhaps you are holding onto your facial hair as a kind of barrier to keep the girl down?

Absolutely! Without question. Fifty years of denial....

jacques
01-17-2018, 04:01 PM
I stopped shaving when I was 17. My beard has now gone white. I crossdress in private. Underdress in public at weekends. Shop for my own clothing.
If I wanted to "present" in public I think I would have to shave. But I am happy as I am for now.
Jasmine - be yourself; enjoy life; no regrets.
Luv J

Teresa
01-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Jasmine,
To me hair means being a man , being clean shaven both facially and the body means I'm stepping into the female World , there is no in between for me .

The only part where I would like the choice is on my head so it has to be wig . Makeup is also part of the equation , I may not have surgery so makeup correctly applied or hopefully so has to do the job, having facial hair is wasting money with makeup , when you can knock years off why out them back on with a beard .

Monique65
01-21-2018, 02:26 PM
I took my first step toward being clean shaven today. I shaved my cheeks, leaving a closely cropped goatee and mustache. It's the first time I have seen my clean cheeks in forty years. My wife's reaction? No comment at all.

Christina_Marie75
01-24-2018, 06:17 PM
I find myself in a similar situation. I actually grew my beard to partly suppress Christina and partly present a more rugged, masculine look for my then wife. Thinking it would help us. But I love the beard, and it goes with my male look (my SO calls me Thor). Even though she is somewhat bi and is into me dressing some, that means shaving! Because when I am Christina I want to be all in, and that means no beard, and no chest hair. What a dilemma.

Micki_Finn
01-24-2018, 06:35 PM
In my humble opinion, when the urge to be “pretty” outweighs the need to be bearded, you’ll know and there won’t be a question in your mind.

Cassandra Lynn
01-24-2018, 07:27 PM
The 'let's be inclusive to all forms of gender expression' side of me agrees with Pat; to thine ownself be true.

But the trans-person that I am, the one that leans heavily to the femme most times (even in my everyday presentation), and is a mixy-matchy, androgenous-blend, totally abhors hair.

In fact, I'm itching (hmmmm, a pun perhaps?) to expound more than is needed for this thread.
But I will say this:
A nicely groomed bit of facial hair on an otherwise well groomed male is rather normal and is, at least to me, simple masculinity.
But what I see is roughly 80% of men, who wear beards, exude an over-abundance of MACHO-ISM, and i'm talking anything from the knuckle-dragging, air-breathing variety to the sloppy, unkempt 'i'm a lazy slacker dude and don't give a rat's bum'.

But then again this is Idaho.

Christina_Marie75
01-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Yep, I think your example of a "nicely groomed bit of facial hair" sums up my male look. And right now, i want both, a nice masculine look at times and a pretty female appearance other times. Sigh...

Sometimes Steffi
01-24-2018, 10:22 PM
Shaving off my beard was the real tipping point for me. I went from an at home CDer to an out & about CDer and never looked back.

My beard had turned about 50% gray so it was a good decision because shaving made me look younger in male mode.

But I did think long and hard about it, because it would remove the last major obstacle to being able to look more like a girl. When I got my first makeover after shaving my beard, I was amazed at the transformation. since then, I've gotten much more in touch with my girl side. Read my signature.

Also, I had had some sort of facial hair for over 30 years. My wife had never seen me without facial hair. It was quite a change.

I am very glad I shaved, but YMMV.

Jolyn
01-24-2018, 10:57 PM
I've always hated my body and facial with a passion
But also had a beard for many years.

I think it was to cover up any feminine traits
That might show
I'm just coming to terms with being trans
I've read over and over again how you girls
Just all seem to say the same thing
Why did I wait so long to come out
I'm afraid to go out alone
Maybe a little more time

I know I'm in the right place
Just so much to work through

Jackie7
01-24-2018, 11:48 PM
What a great thread!
Jasmine you will know when it is time to shave.

Took me until age 54, bearded mostly from my late teens. And balding from 23 on.
These days I dress pretty more than half the time so mostly remain clean shaven, including my chest.

But I can grow a manly stubble and short beard in a couple of weeks, and one or two times a year, I do. Confuses the muggles, I imagine, but who am I kidding?

I took pictures of shaving off my last full beard and moustache, August 2000.