PDA

View Full Version : 3 down, one to go

Sarah Doepner
01-15-2018, 03:17 PM
I told my adult children that I am transgender quite a while ago. Since that time I've had the chance to visit with some of them while I was presenting as Sarah. So this last weekend I gave my oldest son his first chance to see me and it worked out well. While I don't really know what he was expecting, he was pleased I don't go for the drag queen look. He smiled a lot and told me I looked like a totally different person. I told him, I feel like a totally different person. I wasn't dressed in anything fancy, a rust colored knit top and matching skirt and jacket, but he thought it was "sophisticated". I'll take that to the bank, thank you very much.

The last of the kids will probably take it the easiest and will be more likely to make a funny comment. Next step will be the grandkids. With the foundation of family in place I can start to plan on how I break it to the oldest friends, but I have time, not a time schedule.

Lana Mae
01-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Sarah, so glad it worked out so well and hope the next one does also! The grand kids as well! Hugs Lana Mae

Pat
01-15-2018, 05:20 PM
Awesome! Congratulations. Getting your family behind you puts you in a great position to relax and just lean into being who you are. After all, the rest of the world just has to take it -- they don't get a vote. ;)

Teri Ray
01-15-2018, 10:52 PM
Sarah,

Glad to hear that things with you are your family are progressing well. Best wishes to you and all of your family. Hoping that your friends accept you as well as your family appears to have.

Jaylyn
01-15-2018, 11:01 PM
Sarah I'm glad everything is proceeding as smooth as it can. Good luck with the rest of the plans, I bet they'll all go good also. The one I would dread the most would be my Grandsons.
I like the fact you have time and not a schedule but it might get around before you do.

Beverley Sims
01-16-2018, 01:24 AM
Probably the best way to go one at a time and slowly.

docrobbysherry
01-16-2018, 01:37 AM
Sounds like it's going well, Sarah! Congrats!:battingeyelashes:

Teresa
01-16-2018, 01:44 AM
Sarah,
So glad it's going well for you .

There is a big difference between the family knowing you dress and seeing you dressed , to me I'm not 100% out to mine they all know , in fact I've been very surprised how many members of the family my wife has told , but they've not seen me . In some respects it's made it easier to tell them because of our separation .

DaisyLawrence
01-16-2018, 03:29 AM
Way to go Sarah. Awesome. Congratulations. Now, onward and upward, the future is bright.

alwayshave
01-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Sarah, I'm glad that your reveal went well. I hope that your last reveal goes well.

kimdl93
01-16-2018, 08:16 AM
That’s wonderful, Sarah! Does it feel as though you are claiming a bit more ownership of your life with each step?

Sarah Doepner
01-16-2018, 10:26 AM
That’s wonderful, Sarah! Does it feel as though you are claiming a bit more ownership of your life with each step?

It does.

However I am questioning his response today. It has been a long holiday weekend, so he and his daughters all did their own sleepovers, the girls with cousins on their Mom's side of the family and he has been with his latest girlfriend. So I haven't seen him since the reveal and I'm wondering if I've made my life "too real" for him and he's avoiding me now or if it's just him taking advantage of the chance to spend a lot of time with his love interest.

I'm not concerned in either case. He now fully realizes he is going to be in a house where Sarah will be found and is okay with it, or he is uncomfortable and wishes to avoid me; regardless the situation is now his to deal with. If he intends to stay away as much as possible, he will find me explaining that his daughters are HIS and not mine. They need to be with their dad more than with me. If he can't make that work, their mother would love to have them back with her and I can help with that process as well.

I'll be waiting to see which way he turns, but either way, I feel fine and I'm regaining some of the comfort and confidence I had before I invited him and the girls to move in for a short stay. The wheels are turning once again, rust is falling off the gears, let's see what happens next.