PDA

View Full Version : How many others see this forum as a bit of therapy?

FrannGurl
01-25-2018, 02:01 AM
I was a lurker on here for many years before deciding to actually post and join by sticking my "toes in the water" here.

It was for me at first..." Ok, there are girls like me here"....But as time went on, this forum is where I can read, relate, perhaps give my view and more. Its honestly where I gain insight to things and relate to others who might share similar views, problems, ect. I was thinking that now, since I'm more open minded, Id like to share more of myself to this lovely group...And was wondering if this forum has helped you like it has me.. Franni

Stephanie47
01-25-2018, 02:41 AM
Yes, it has been a bit of therapy. If it wasn't for this forum I would have absolutely no way to communicate with anyone concerning my desires or needs to wear women's clothing. Basically, it's "I'm not alone." The alternative would be to ponder whether there is something uniquely wrong with me. Someone my age is a product of the 1950's and 1960's when gays, lesbians, transsexuals and cross dressers were deemed to be "sick." Now, in addition to this site, there are visuals available on the Internet, especially sites such as YouTube which depicts with some class cross dressers are just plain people under the clothes.

Stacy Darling
01-25-2018, 04:58 AM
Definitely a bit of or part of personal therapy!

I stumbled onto this forum and still do stumble around within it, just what I'm like! To me this is something which a therapist could not give to me ( I did ask ) and there were seemingly no other crossdressers or cd groups within my area. So in a way this forum is like a virtual group to me, and I mean that in the most loving and respectful way!!

"I'm a bit confused in the face to face bit of my therapy too!"

Stacy!

Kendalli
01-25-2018, 05:57 AM
I am an introvert and have a hard time getting out with people, especially new people. So having this forum helps me connect at some level with people similar to me. So yes in that way I use it similar to therapy.

DIANEF
01-25-2018, 06:09 AM
I never really thought of it as therapy but I suppose in a way it is. I went from complete isolation to being part of a community of like minded people. I love reading everyones stories and seeing all the pictures on here. I have made friends and one day hope to meet other members of this forum. You could say it has almost been life changing.

Rayleen
01-25-2018, 06:29 AM
FrannGurl, you are right, for me living alone in rural area it give me a connection to a group.

Since the beginning every members can express their opinion and was a great help and have the same goal.

Indeed it makes our life an enjoyable journey.

Rayleen

Lacey New
01-25-2018, 06:30 AM
I don't know if it is therapy or affirmation that I'm really not some kind of way out deviant person. As Stephanie47 pointed out, for many of us who started wearing women's clothing in the 60s, the little that we new about CDs or transvestites, were that they were all homosexuals and really sick people. I was never attracted to males and have enjoyed several flings with pretty young women before I finally met my wife of many years. But throughout the entire time - building a successful career at the same time, I always enjoyed crossdressing. So, I have always been at odds with myself - what am I? So I discovered this website as part of my research to discover more about myself and thankfully found out that I am not a singular anomaly.

alwayshave
01-25-2018, 06:36 AM
I have always thought of the forum as therapy. Mostly from my Catholic guilt over doing what I somehow perceived as a sin. I always knew that I was not alone as a crossdresser. Saw the ads for Michael Salem in the back of magazines in the 70s and realized someone would not spend money advertising for a market of one (i.e., me). But coming here gave me a chance to converse with others who had the same experiences as me, convinced me it is OK to go out and that I was normal.

sara66
01-25-2018, 07:25 AM
Definitely, Only a couple of people know about my dressing. They soon grow tiered of my ramblings. The forum give my a place to express my thoughts. Here people can just ignore things they are not interested.
Sara

Diane Taylor
01-25-2018, 07:40 AM
I've been dressing both privately and publicly since the early 1990's so the therapy part is no. BUT......it's still a nice way to communicate with others like me.

Monique65
01-25-2018, 07:50 AM
This is definitely group therapy for me. Looking at the "What's going on" statistics on the home page, I see there are 328 people on this site right now. As I sit here drinking my morning coffee in my bra, panties, slip and stockings, I feel a great connection with my 327 other sisters who are at this very moment reading, exploring, learning, and participating in this wonderful experience of honoring our inner woman.

BrendaPDX
01-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Hi Frann, I love this site, it is a forum as therapy for me. I have learned new words, met new people, came out of the closet (well only to two), and most of all learned that I am not alone. I hope you stay :o Brenda

Teri Ray
01-25-2018, 09:14 AM
I agree with others this site has been a great source of information and help to me. I enjoy the fact that I can share the experiences of others who have this desire. It sure helps to know that you are not alone in the world.

Krisi
01-25-2018, 09:22 AM
To me it's educational in that there's a lot of information on how, when and where to crossdress and it's nice to be able to communicate with others who may or may not share my point of view, but calling it "therapy" is a bit of a stretch. "Therapy" is usually with someone educated in the workings of the mind.

Jaylyn
01-25-2018, 09:32 AM
It has helped me gain more night into what I've been doing since I was a teen. I'm now in my late 60s and realize there are others actually let me say many many others out there that do the same thing and feel the way I've felt my whole life. Made me realize maybe I'm not a weird person or crazy in what I do. This forum has helped me realize it is ok to do what I enjoy. I believe it is counseling with out the need of a therapist telling me what I should or should not be doing. Most have already mentioned this but it's comforting to know there are others like me that have the same problems and many on here share their experiences which help also.
This place is where I usually come to every morning to see what is new. It's almost like a safe haven for me to let out some pent up releases thru others help. We are rowing the same boat it seems just some have longer oars and some shorter oars dipped in the same water.

Elizabeth G
01-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Whether you call it therapy or not, it has been very helpful to me.

Monique65
01-25-2018, 09:49 AM
I'd like to add a big "Thank You" to the moderators for their hard work and dedication in keeping this a safe, clean, informative place to share stories and gain information.

Sidney
01-25-2018, 10:06 AM
I can only feel sad thinking of all our sisters in the past before the Internet and Web sites like this. I can see without access to educational information how the majority thought of themselves as broken, mentally sick or just nuts. I've been seeing a wonderful counselor for over a year and a half now who has helped me get rid of guilt and alot of other gender related problems and has helped me to love and embrace my newly found self. When I showed her this site I stumbled on she was so happy for me and suggested I join and have fun. So yes I consider this site part of my therapy and enjoy my group sessions. I also feel this site is my safe place I come to every morning. May not comment every day but I am here and thank all you ladies for being here and sharing a part of you with me.

Tracii G
01-25-2018, 10:13 AM
I don't think I would consider this forum a therapy in the technical sense of the word but more of an educational tool.
A very positive tool because it helped me to understand who I was and why I was the way I am.

LeannS
01-25-2018, 10:32 AM
This site has brought me farther down the path. I was learning all about this way of life before joining and it was mostly by trail and error.
oh I could run in a thrift store and look and buy things knew what size I was looking for buy and get home to try it on and dam no fit ok I am out 3 dollars
lesson not learned but here I have learned it is ok to go try on things before you buy. very much a plus
Also I am an introvert yes I said it hard for me to meet people face to face this site I can talk to others and relate to whats going on and it has been a great experience
really I need to thank each one of you for your insight.

Thank you each and everyone of you

Leann

Sabrina.K
01-25-2018, 11:01 AM
It's certainly nice to find a community full of like-minded people. It makes you feel less alone.

In fact, it's one of the only crossdressing communities I could find on the internet. There really don't seem to me many, sadly.

Krea
01-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Yes, i guess this forum is like a kind of therapy.
The advice, support & encouragement here is certainly very helpful.
What a great place. :daydreaming:

Julie Denier
01-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Absolutely. When you're closeted, this forum is a lifeline to like minds.

docrobbysherry
01-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Therapeutic, educational, inspirational and so much more!:D

This site opened the door to a new life for me after dressing for 10 years in a vacuum! My social life is now geared around the T's I met here first, then in real life. First, girls who live far away, then others quite close by and see regularly. At the T events I attend every year I see wonderful old T girlfriends and meet new ones!:hugs:

Kayliedaskope
01-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Yes, definitely therapeutic, educational, inspirational, and amusing ... more often than not, all at the same time !!

That will be $ 185, please, and do stop by the receptionist's desk for your next appointment.

Jenny22
01-25-2018, 12:57 PM
For me, its been a fantastic rabbit hole to a whole new world of girls like me with challenges, desires and fears like mine. I've learned so much and have given what I could. I would never have met other girls had it not been for this wonderful forum.

Emma S
01-25-2018, 01:07 PM
For me, it really is. And it's not just that either. It's educational, motivating, and most of all fun! Only a very few people know of my dressing and I still haven't really explored all there is to explore, not by a long shot. Even though growing up I didn't know I was alone, even after learning that I wasn't, I still felt alone because I didn't know anyone else who did it. Now to have access to others who not only crossdress but are at all different stages, it's like I'm discovering a whole new side of myself that feels so feminine. And the more I explore and accept, the more right it feels. Will I ever transition? Probably not. I don't think it's for me but the more I uncover the more whole I feel so I guess you never know. Thanks to all of you for your help and support!

Sarah Doepner
01-25-2018, 01:13 PM
It may not be therapy, but it's helped keep me out of therapy from time to time.

- Through this forum I'm learning about situations I would never have been exposed to and it's forced me to put myself in others shoes from time to time. That has helped me grow as a person.
- I've felt comfortable in offering advice and opinion, but only after considering multiple points of view as well as looking for my own bias before hitting the send button. I've learned humility and extent of my ignorance.
- I've asked questions both before and after going to a therapist and that has given me a chance to see where I am compared to a larger group who all experience this in their own way. I've become a member of a community.
- I've been afraid about my choices or feelings or where I might be headed and I've seen others who have gone that way before me with varying degrees of satisfaction or success, but it has helped build my self confidence. I have become brave knowing it's okay to struggle.
- I've been here for just over ten years now, observing people come and go, change, transition, come out and step aside while retaining their overall goal of wanting to be happy. I understand we all move at our own pace, it's not a race and we all have our own goals.

It's not therapy, but it's made therapy a lot more productive.

Alice_2014_B
01-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Though I did not lurk here really at all prior to signing up, it can be a form of therapy to some, to an extent.
Really helps me when I'm away from home, unable to dress or even lounge around in heels.
:)

FrannGurl
01-25-2018, 02:14 PM
I love these responses..
.Maybe therapy isn't the right word but it helps me to maybe understand things better. You don't relate to everyones issues but, at least for me, I get a little something from many of you here. Some more than others. Until the internet came about there didn't seem to be much information around. Like many of us here, I felt like there must be something a little weird about me when it came to my dressing, sexuality and how I identified as the opposite gender

Gillian Gigs
01-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Therapy may not be the correct word, but it has been like a help group encounter. Growing up in a time of little CD information, you thought that you were alone and therefore a freak for being a one of a kind. Social constructs frown on anything outside there defined range of normal, and CD'ing fit into that area. This eclectic group has helped many of us see that society misses the boat in many areas by short sighted thinking.

I have learned to be accepting of myself and moved on to accepting others with out regard of the differences we may have. I look for the common ground now instead of the differences. This site has had an influence in this happening in my life. If you remove the gender titles from stores, or departments, and off of the clothes, we would quickly see that they are all just a covering for the body to keep the sun off, or to help keep us warm.

Christie ann
01-25-2018, 03:57 PM
The word therapy works just fine for me. This site has let me know I am not alone. It has given me a small forum to tell about some of the small steps I have taken and on days like today when I just ache to be a girl, I know that I can be among people who understand.

~Renee~
01-25-2018, 06:42 PM
I too was a many year lurker before joining this week. I agree this place is a great forum for therapy since there are so many knowledgable and helpful people. I am grateful this place exists.

DMichele
01-25-2018, 07:00 PM
Franni,
Yes, this board has helped me come to terms with my identity and enabled me to express my gender identity. For me, the sharing here has been therapeutic resulting in improved self-esteem and confidence, and overcoming shame.

THANK YOU ladies for the support!

DanielleDubois
01-25-2018, 07:03 PM
What I appreciate is the range of support/therapy on such a wide and varied range of topics. You can get advice on the most serious of topics or at the other end of the spectrum post some photos and get some simple fashion feedback. I have never regretted joint almost a year ago after a few years of lurking.

And I cannot forget to be thankful to some truly wonderful friends I have met on this site and have been able to share our common personal insights on crossdressing and everyday life.

Lana Mae
01-25-2018, 07:08 PM
Don't know about the therapy aspect but the wealth of information and helpful advise is almost overwhelming! I have never had so many friends! It is a sisterhood that is so supportive and caring! I am happy to be here and am thankful for all my sisters and the mods and admins who keep us straight! Love you all! Hugs Lana Mae

Dana44
01-25-2018, 07:17 PM
I would call this site educational. It has helped me figure out who I am and how it relates.

Roxy
01-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Absolutely! This site has been great therapy and a wealth of information. Reading and participating in this group has helped me so much accepting myself for who I am and my desire to crossdress knowing I'm not alone

NicoleScott
01-25-2018, 08:51 PM
I suppose the forum is a bit of therapy for me, but so is gardening, fixing things, lawn mowing (sitting on a rider), hunting, fishing, cooking, music .......etc.

Tracy Irving
01-25-2018, 10:13 PM
Can't say I ever thought of this site as providing some form of therapy. I just like to read others thoughts on a common interest and maybe learn a few things along the way.

Stephanie Julianna
01-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Without a doubt, this site is the best thing that has happened to me in years. Everyone here is wonderful and genuine. I wish there was a way that I could meet all my friends here and give them a big girly hug and say 'Thank You'.

Fiona123
01-26-2018, 08:39 AM
I view this site as a safe community. It provides an outlet that I don't otherwise have. I'm grateful that it's here.

Gypsy Sam
01-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Concur with Jaimie "alwayshave" concerning therapy and Catholic guilt. Encouraged by the perception that we are normal. Admire the ability to go out, and feel OK about it. The guilt complexity and fear of being outed are large factors for me. Wondered if living in a major city gave you more acceptance to progress outward?

ginapoodle
01-26-2018, 11:15 AM
Yes and no. Definitely there are people met on this forum, and then met in real life that have positively impacted me. Aunt Kelly and others stand out: introducing me to the concept of "non-binary". That was a revelation to me, and has helped me find peace.

Positive stories, and not have given me perspective. Basically: I am not alone in this 50 plus year journey with gender fluidity.

The downside of this forum: those that attack, denigrate, judge and occasional admin random deletions that just make little sense. Like all online forums, true communication can be very difficult. Lack of context is the issue, and good old "internet courage".

Carry on.

CONSUELO
01-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Compared with what was available many decades ago, this site is a wonderful place. Here we realise that we are part of a very large community and we are not at all abnormal. While not place one goes to for therapy in the commonly accepted definition, it is definitely THERAPEUTIC.

Helen_Highwater
01-26-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm going to say no and for the following reason. I looked up the definition of therapy in the Collins English Dictionary. It reads;

a treatment that helps someone feel better, grow stronger, etc., especially after an illness:

I think we would all agree that our CD'ing isn't an illness. I don't feel I need treatment or a cure. The same dictionary lists Counselling as;

guidance offered by social workers, doctors, etc, to help a person resolve social or personal problems

So I'm going to say I see this forum as a great place to come for counselling. What's on display here in spades is guidance and support and I've certainly benefited from that. Having that two way conduit which allows each of us to express our concerns, offer our support, receive sage advice and above all just to communicate with others who understand is just what the doctor ordered.

Lee Andrews
01-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Therapy, support and educational for me. As others have said, great to find out you are not the only one.
Just by reading posts I saved myself from a world of trouble last month. Came upon a RIDE check while driving dressed. First thought was to actually turn around and take off. Which would have had me chased down and stopped anyway. Remembered all the stories of others here being pulled over with positive outcomes. I sucked it up and owned the fact I was a guy all dolled up fooling not many. I must have been looking somewhat good because it didn’t register with him till I spoke in my normal voice. Lol

Randi49
01-26-2018, 09:49 PM
Oh my gosh yes!

CdD Janessa
01-27-2018, 08:12 PM
This forum is a therapy thing for me to I look at pictures of all the other ladies on here and see what I can improve on and such. I look for ideas on how to someday exit the closet and explain to close friends and family what I do. And hopefully one day be lucky enough to get my wife’s acceptance until then I just read everyone’s posts and continue to build ideas thanks for a great thread

CaseyAdams
01-27-2018, 08:42 PM
I'm relatively new here, but I've really enjoyed a lot of the posts, especially the ones where our GG friends have expressed their views and feelings. Really looking forward to the journey of personal improvement and getting to know the others on the forum! Excellent website.

GracieRose
01-27-2018, 10:00 PM
My first reaction is that this is certainly educational; but therapy? I think not. However, as I think more, I realize that because of this site, I do feel better about myself, more confident, and more peaceful overall. As I think more about the effect that this site has had on me, perhaps it is therapeutic.

Rollermiss
01-27-2018, 10:45 PM
In the short time I have been here. I have seen it as a type of therapy. Educational as Kaylie said. I am glade I decided to expand my thinking and search the web.

Kelsey

Beverley Sims
01-28-2018, 12:17 AM
I was traveling through Montana on Amtrak when I decided to join, I don't know about therapy, but it has been a good ride for me.

Karen RHT
01-28-2018, 08:28 AM
I find this forum relaxing, thought provoking, educational, mostly enjoyable, and at times, a bit surprising. Honestly not sure if that's therapeutic or not.

Karen

Vicky Peters
01-28-2018, 11:54 AM
It is therapeutic for me, the only information I had about dressing was through Variations mag. Now I am part of a community and that is a nice feeling

ShyLibrarian
02-04-2018, 11:36 AM
It is therapeutic for me, the only information I had about dressing was through Variations mag. Now I am part of a community and that is a nice feeling

Very much so. I only know one or two crossdressers who are in the closet and not near me geographically. I don't discuss cross dressing with them unless we are together in person for an annual luncheon meeting or whatever. Thus, absolutely no one to share animated conversations with (and possibly more). So, there's very much a feeling of having exciting things all bottled up inside. I don't find that a day-to-day issue, but it certainly comes to the fore when you pose the question.

JulesLynne
02-05-2018, 04:39 PM
This forum has reassured me that I’m not a freak of nature and that there are plenty of other happy and successful girls just like me!

IleneD
02-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Not so much therapy as education and learning.
I give prayerful thanks every day for this Forum. I've learned the reality of what it means to be CD/TG. Learned I'm not alone and that I'm well. Above all, I've learned and acquired a greater ability to convey to others my situation; my crossdressing.
Everyone here who has attempted to come out to a friend or spouse, or who wanted to stand up to a TG bully or bigot has perhaps found the words difficult to find that adequately explain crossdressing and transgenderism. This forum, through reading and discussion, provides me resources and words to understand this, and defend my femme nature.

Thank you, girls. I give thanks every day for saving me, saving my marriage and helping me explain this to the people I love and who love me. You are the best.

wanda66
02-06-2018, 08:50 AM
I never thought that I would actually acknowledge the fact that I enjoyed cross dressing. And to express my female feelings.out loud, and post a photo of myself. It took quite some time for me to find the courage. Still in the closet but feeling much better about myself these days .So I guess it’s been therapeutic for me, when the time comes and the door opens I will be more prepared to meet the challenges.

pamela7
02-06-2018, 10:40 AM
i think the forum can be therapeutic, affirming, and it can also be a place of co-counselling, and from that perspective sure, it's a bit of therapy.

Alice K
02-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Definitely therapy. Therapy doesn’t have to be “on a couch”. But the opportunity to analyze oneself through the lens of others thoughts or postings helps that process.

Especially important as others mentioned when one feels isolated and can’t speak about this to anyone else.

Alice

Karmen
02-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Yes, probably this forum is a bit therapeutic, because here I can talk about things I can't talk with anybody else in my life.