PDA

View Full Version : Ouch ouch ouch!

ashley82
10-25-2004, 06:37 PM
On Friday I finally worked up the courage to shave my legs. They looked and felt spectacular... for a few hours. What's followed has been somewhat of a nightmare. Bumps. Redness. Itching. Pain. I let them go until tonight, when I tried again, with much the same results (only faster.)

I can't figure it out, because I did everything correctly. (I searched through the archives.) I soaked in the tub for a bit, used plenty of Aveeno therepeautic shaving cream, with a brand new razor, and I've been moisturizing everyday.

I really don't know what to do at this point except let it grow back, which doesn't really thrill me.

Stephanie Brooks
10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi Ashley!

So sorry you had trouble. :(

Be aware that when you let leg hair regrow you are likely to get ingrown hairs. You'll know them by annoying little pimples over parts of your legs. They will go away, but not right away.

Here's my unconventional wisdom on leg shaving.

When I shaved (and will again some day), I would splash water on one dry leg and use Skintimate shaving cream, first running a line of cream down the leg and then lathering it over the entire leg. I shaved with a Shick Silk Effects razor. After doing one leg, I'd do the other. Then I'd shower. Following the shower I used NIvea Original Body Lotion on my legs. This moisturized and kept itching to a minimum.

I shaved regularly every day for a couple of years, and really had no trouble whatsoever, save the occasional nick.

genevieve_ohara
10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Maybe it's the Merlot, but Frac, you're turnin' me on...

I met a stripper sho said she shaved with baby oil. I've never tried it...but I did examine her work...smooooooooth....

G

pattysue
10-25-2004, 07:48 PM
I too did my legs Friday for the first time. I used Epil-Stop and then went back over my legs with a light shave using Saint Ives body wash to get what hairs that had been missed. No redness or iching. I have been using Epil-Stop on my chest for about five weeks now. And have been pretty happy with it. It took till about three Saturday morning for my wife to realize I had done it. And I don't think she would have noticed for a few more days, but she keep looking at my fishnet stockings and saw no hair showing through. :rolleyes:

Man in tights
10-25-2004, 10:14 PM
I used to notice the evil red bumps after shaving as well... but alas no more. I tried moisturizers and creams but nothing helped, it just left me feeling oily! But completely by chance one morning I rubbed my freshly shaved legs, arms, chest etc with a salt-scrub product, and lo and behold, no bumps... just smooth skin. I don't know how it works, I just know it does.

Seriously, try a salt scrub after shaving... it works.

MIT

Stephanie Brooks
10-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Maybe it's the Merlot, but Frac, you're turnin' me on...

I met a stripper sho said she shaved with baby oil. I've never tried it...but I did examine her work...smooooooooth....

G

It's the Merlot, I'm sure. ^_^

Alayna
10-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Seriously, try a salt scrub after shaving... it works.

MIT
OWWWWW! How can you stand that?!!! I'd be careful, a lot of scrubs say not to use them after showering.

I have the same problem you do, Ashley. Even the slightest touch sends off this weird sensation that feels like ingrown hairs, but worse. My sister recommended Tend Skin to me once - she swears by it. You can only get it on the internet though. Personally I gave up on shaving and I've been using a combo of waxing and a mechanical epilator for a while now. I haven't gotten the best results, but I haven't been real faithful with it either. Granted, it hurts to yank the hair out by the roots, but I think a second of pain is much better than constant irritation 24/7!
Good luck;)

Sarah Cummings
10-26-2004, 12:18 AM
I don't get to dress very often, but when I do, of course I shave my legs.(What a pain in the butt to get the backs of the upper thighs). As soon as I'm done I dry them off and rub baby lotion all over them. But not too much, I don't want my stockings to fall down 'cause they can't grab on. That's like a firemen's pole, long and slippery and nothing will stick to it. Mmmmmm, interesting! :p Anyway (took a moment to get my attention back to focus here. You want smooth legs but not where you can't keep anything on your legs. Of course you need to make sure that you get your legs conditioned to shaving first. Just like a boy as he gets through puberty, and picks up shaving, he conditions his face skin as time goes on. At first will get a whole bunch of nicks and cuts, then gets less and less later on as his skin gets more and more conditioned to shaving. I hope you don't get too many nicks and cuts. Plus be sure to use the right kind of shave cream to help prevent nicks and cuts. Let me know how that goes as you go on. Love Sarah ;)

babe4life
10-26-2004, 12:25 AM
I bought a new razor the other day that has its own shaving bar around the head of the razor (help me with a name somebody!). I used it last night for the first time and I was BLOWN AWAY. What sheer bliss. Even my chest hair disappeared with the greatest of ease. Legs are still a problem area for me though - they really don´t look too good, but what a sensation.

Love,
Vicky

Sarah Cummings
10-26-2004, 01:01 AM
undefinedundefinedundefined
I bought a new razor the other day that has its own shaving bar around the head of the razor (help me with a name somebody!). I used it last night for the first time and I was BLOWN AWAY. What sheer bliss. Even my chest hair disappeared with the greatest of ease. Legs are still a problem area for me though - they really don´t look too good, but what a sensation.

Love,
Vicky
Schick or Gillette?undefined

JoannaDees
10-26-2004, 01:03 AM
I thought this was going to be another thong post ................ you silly girls that cannot wear thongs!

Sweet Susan
10-26-2004, 01:08 AM
What is a shaving bar?

I use a Gillette triple blade. It's great, and I can get by shaving once every 36 hours with it. I've never had a problem with bumps or bruises or red spots or anything like that. The only problem I've ever had with shaving is that I enjoy doing it too much. I've kept my legs shaven for ten straight years, and I don't know what it would be like to have hair on them again. Yuck, is all I can say.

Wenda
10-26-2004, 01:12 AM
Sorry to hear about all the shaving bumps! A sales clerk noticed mine and steered me toward Aveena which has worked well. My 50's bathroom has tub but no shower, so I shave in the tub every morning. It all takes less than 6 minutes, because that is how long it takes to do 2 eggs at our altitude. I shave my face and legs every morning. I did mention a misadventure with waxing on another thread however.
I love how my legs feel, but don't like stubble in my cleavage, so I bought a waxing kit...read the instructions... applied the strip to my right boob...let it set...pulled it off...sh*t!!!...that was unpleasant AND unproductive....now all I have is a sticky boob with stubble....
OK...reread the instructions..."let hair grow for 2 weeks...!!!! OK!! we are in business...!!!!....I have had hair that has been unmolested for 35 frickin' years!!!....apply a batch to each cheek...of my butt...
....wait...let it set...do it right....pull the damned things off...HELLO!! there is damned little hair in them....what the..???glued my butt together...now I glued my glued-together butt to the bed sheet..... AAAAHHHGGG!!! wenda

Sarah Cummings
10-26-2004, 01:28 AM
Pay no mind to the words above my post that say "Undefined". I'm still trying to figure out how to work the different wording or typing options there are and I don't know what half these things mean. So I'm experimenting. Love Sarah :confused:

Lily_gg
10-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Venus Divine razors (by Gillette I think) are absolutely fab if you can get them in your country :p

Sweet Susan - the shaving bar could be one of two things: one is that most girlie razors have a moisturising strip above the blades, so that as you shave, your hair/skin gets blade, blade, blade, moisturiser strip - helps to stop the itchy bumps. The second option is that you can actually get a razor now with a whole block of shaving cream type stuff built into it, so you just wet your legs, and the razor does the whole shaving foam then shave bit. The one I've seen is a Wilkinson Sword, I think Wilkinson Sword are sold as Schick in some countries, maybe.... Not tried that one.

Oh, and waxing? Best results if the hairs are trimmed down to around a centimetre, maybe 1.5cm long - if you just try and wax a lifetime's growth, it'll be very painful and not very effective. Dust your skin with talcum powder beforehand, apply the wax in the direction of the growth (eg down the legs), hold the skin really taut, and rip off the strip in one fluid motion, against the direction of growth (eg up the legs), and as close to the skin as you can, so the hairs are being yoinked back in the exact opposite direction to their growth... :eek:

Tonia
10-26-2004, 06:18 AM
[QUOTE=babe4life]I bought a new razor the other day that has its own shaving bar around the head of the razor (help me with a name somebody!). I used it last night for the first time and I was BLOWN AWAY. What sheer bliss. Even my chest hair disappeared with the greatest of ease. Legs are still a problem area for me though - they really don´t look too good, but what a sensation.

Love,

Vicky, :eek:

What heck are you talking about I seen your photo the other day you have great LOOKING LEGGS!!!!

Tonia:)

Felicity
10-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, definately not shaving anytime soon....

I think the thing with shaving irritation is getting the skin used to it. Even shaving my face, if I let it go a week, it gets irritated when I save again.

The few times I have shaved my legs, I always had irritations. However, I regularly shave everything at the privates. Only occational irritations if I don't use a fresh razor, and if I don't shave there for a while too. Seems to me that any area that is to be shaved needs to be shaved regularly.

Since the summer is over, I will be doing my annual hair removal. As much as I don't like the couple following days, I use Nair. The stuff sticks and leaves my legs felling funny. However, the following weeks are real nice.

I guess Nair can be some nasty stuff if the skin is already irritated, or if you have sensitivity to the chemicals in it. Anyone using it should be careful and test an area first like the instructions say.

Anyone know the best to use? I only tried one other, Epil-Stop, and didn't like the results. I had hair left over.

babe4life
10-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks Tonia :). Legs look fine from a distance ;). And of course, feel and look even better in pantyhose :D

Lily, you are quite correct on it being a Schick Intuition. It has the shaving bar around the razor and it is *stunning*. Not sure how many uses one can get out of a bar like that, but it is worth it!

Here's a link to it:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/buyinprivate/prod2samas1b.html

Love,
Vicky

Mary-Clarissa
10-26-2004, 12:34 PM
I shaved my legs for the first time ever at the weekend. Because I previously had the hairiest legs on the planet, I took my time over it, and worked my way up the legs slowly - whilst soaking in a hot tub, and after some serious trimming with a beard trimmer first! :cool:

The results were pretty good, and they still feel quite smooth below the knee, but I itch higher up on my thighs, where it's now a bit stubble-y. So I guess I took too long, and let the water cool down too much - or maybe I just didn't take as much care once I'd already been shaving for what seemed like hours! :eek:

Anyway, I'm just about to run a bath, prior to having another go at getting it right tonight - a long soak, a loofah-ing to get rid of any dry skin, open up the pores, and all that good stuff, and then a shave with a new blade is tonight's plan to get me silky smooth (at least for a little while!). Wish me luck! :D

babe4life
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Mary-Clarissa, ENJOY and GOOD LUCK :p

Love,
Vicky

Georgette
10-26-2004, 02:29 PM
I have been shaving for about a month, and I shave every three to four days. I know what you mean about the bumps the back of my thighs had the same problem but they have to get usrd to the shaving, chest and back no problem. :)
LOL

Be who you want to be not what others think you should be :rolleyes:

Amy_B
10-26-2004, 02:44 PM
I have had that problem too.. But not with my legs.. I got them on my arms and chest.. I kept shaving and I stared taking showers twice a day.. I found that that helps out alot.. As for the stuff I use I just use dove sope and my old Gelet raser.. I have had other girls who have use them and they liked them better then their own.. I was conserned at first about my ingrown hairs.. I did ask some of my friends and and they all said it was cuz of lack of exfoliating(or how ever its spelled..).. I tell my freinds that I hat all my hair.. It makes me look like a bear.. LOL.. I know its not 100% the truth but it is true..

Danielle1960
10-26-2004, 03:10 PM
I've been reading and thinking about this. Someone commented on salt working and I find that it is true. Remember when you swim in the ocean and women find any skin problem clear up. :D Well I live to far from a warm ocean and salt does seem to work. Another item worth a try is Epsom salt. Put some in a hot soaking bath and shave away. Makes you feel good.

Remember though to read the directions. ;)

Danielle

Rachel Elizabeth
10-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Please, do not throw things at me. I am sensative.

Do you all still shave? There is Nothingggggg like going to a spa, relaxing, having your nails done, AND having a body wax. First time was kind of freakie but then I have become spoiled. And, after a while, your hair doesn't grow back in.

Shave? No!!! Wax!

Hugs

Marianne
10-26-2004, 04:02 PM
For me, the answer's all in the wrist technique (shaddap Erica!).

Shaving my face is something I've had a LOT of practice at, so all the hand and wrist motions are 'natural' and practiced.

Shaving legs, especially for the first time, is completely different. The skin is different, the hair is different.

Try using a different razor than the one you shave your face with, get comfortable in the bath, soak for a while, lather up well and then *slowly* glide the razor along your leg, don't pull it away from the skin at the top of the stroke but instead, slide it back down to clear the hair from the blade.

Don't glide it at an angle either, keep the blade at 90 degrees to the direction of stroke.

When you've finished one leg, splash cold water (or use a cloth soaked in COLD water) over your leg. This helps close up the pores and prevents getting ingrown hairs.

Once done, dry gently with the towel instead of the usual 'rough' rubbing that most folks do. Then, when dry, moisterize your skin (while you're at it, get into the habit of moisterizing the face after shaving too, it makes applying makeup easier and gives a much better foundation).

If you can't get the 'hang' of it, try some Nair, Veet or Epil-stop instead, depending on just how 'hairy' your legs are.

Alicecd
10-26-2004, 04:43 PM
I regularly see a person who does body sugaring. I have had waxing and sugaring and found that the sugaring does not leave your skin as red or as sore as when waxed. ( Sugaring is done the same way as waxing but you can go over the area more times with out irritating the skin. ) She also told me to take an antihistimine about a half hour before having the sugaring. It stops the redness and helps to eliminate the irritation.

I have been seeing her for over half a year and the hair regrowth is considerably less and each time it hurts less than the last. The first time was the worst.

Hope this is an area you can look into. I swear by it.

Alice ;)

Georgette
10-26-2004, 07:36 PM
;) All of this talk about shaving this is my night to do it all over again, in the shower for another Hour of torture. :confused:
Georgette :) :)

Be who you want to be not what others think you should be.

Julie
10-26-2004, 11:28 PM
Luckily for me I have never been as hairy as people have described themselves here, shaving has never left me with any marks or weals. I feel for those who do.

Julie J

Man in tights
10-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Aaahh no not the dreaded bikini line! Surely the most troublesome of all areas to shave. That is unless you shave your genitals I guess. Shaving my sack seems like a really nice idea yntil it actually comes to doing it. I've never been able to work out how you can efficiently do it because the skin seems too loose (and likely to be easily damaged. I imagine that a nick in that area would be especially painful... and what about the whole stubbly-regrowth issue... eeewwwwww!

Anyway, I still stand by my earlier point about the salt... although I agree that it does sound strange in principle to start with.

ps. Venus razors (all types) rule.

~Tammy~
10-27-2004, 01:54 PM
I recently tried Veet hair removal mousse on my bikini area after a review from Julie.
The results were very good for me. The bikina area is probably my worst area for rashes and ingrowing hairs, but with the Veet is was perfectly smooth for a couple of days then softly grew back with hardly any irritation.
I actually I used it on the whole of my private area too - even though it says not too on the can. I tested it on a small area first and all seemed ok, so thought what the heck and went spray foam crazy!
I've also used it on my underarms and even my hands/fingers to remove the odd little hairs and it removed all the hairs on my palms :)
Whatever you do, just don't use it on the same area again for at least 48 hours. I accidently got some on my bikina line when doing my underarms and my god it stings!