PDA

View Full Version : Do You Buy Dresses and Clothes even know you can't dress?

Judy-Somthing
02-21-2018, 11:41 PM
I haven't had a chance to dress full makeup, wig, etc in almost a year but recently I started dress shopping.
I don't know when I'll get a chance to wear them!

Do You Buy Dresses and Clothes even know you can't wear them?

lingerieLiz
02-21-2018, 11:59 PM
While I can wear them, I might not get around to it for a while. I did go through a period where I didn't dress much so I guess the answer was yes.

Traci H
02-22-2018, 12:10 AM
Yes Judy I have and do. Just the joy of shopping and dreaming about wearing does something for me. It’s all part of the fun.

bridget thronton
02-22-2018, 02:32 AM
Yes - I suspect I like to shop

Beverley Sims
02-22-2018, 03:34 AM
I occasionally buy a dress and not wear it for six months.

Krea
02-22-2018, 03:39 AM
No, i never buy clothes unless i intend to wear them.
Firstly, i have to make my CDing budget stretch so there would be no point spending money on things i am never going to wear.
Secondly, buying something that i couldn't wear because i knew my wife wouldn't like it would somehow feel like i was undermining her tolerance of my CDing and risking damage to our relationship. :sad:

DaisyLawrence
02-22-2018, 05:48 AM
No. Spending money, a finite resource, on something I am not going to wear would silly and environmentally irresponsible like buying food I am not going to eat.

Lacey New
02-22-2018, 05:49 AM
The short answer is yes. I try to be frugal about it but I have panties that I have yet to wear and a dress that I have not worn in a year.

Alice_2014_B
02-22-2018, 06:25 AM
I only buy fem-wear to wear.
Only things are some high heels that I've never worn out in public, but do at home.

And I have a few dresses that I bought on sale that are a tad too small; I keep them, however, in case I happen to size myself down to fit them.

My dressing situation at home is quite restricted because of new roomies, even though they are cool people.

But I might be dressing up at a friend's studio where she shares the small building with the high heel store she sold.

:)

Rayleen
02-22-2018, 06:35 AM
Dresses, I did, but got tired of wearing them...now I like skirts and frilly top better.

Yes I buy clothes that I will only wear on occasion.

Rayleen

alwayshave
02-22-2018, 06:54 AM
I buy dresses when I don't have any chance of wearing them in the near future.

Elizabeth G
02-22-2018, 07:12 AM
There are a couple of my dresses that I will likely never get a chance to wear out of the house but I couldn't resist them. Also, my opportunities to dress as of late are limited yet I still like to buy new things so I guess that's my long winded way of saying yes.

sara66
02-22-2018, 07:25 AM
I will if it is a good deal and I think I will wear them at later time. But I have a shopping problem. :heehee:
Sara

lisa11422
02-22-2018, 07:57 AM
I do the same thing, I just don't understand why

stephNE
02-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Yes I do. I am a little bit picky, and I love to go shopping. So, when I find something that I like, and looks OK on me, I buy it, even if I know I may not wear it for a while.

BrendaPDX
02-22-2018, 08:59 AM
I have warn everything I have bought, however I might not have worn them out of the house.

Krisi
02-22-2018, 09:26 AM
First of all, I can dress so I don't have this problem. But, if I couldn't dress I wouldn't be buying dresses just to have to hide them. If you're hiding your dressing from someone, the less "stuff" you have to hide, the better. And as some have said, why waste money on something you're not going to use?

Rhonda Jean
02-22-2018, 10:21 AM
I've never been in your situation where I can't dress, but back when I was married with kids and used to take my long weekends away every month or so I use to buy all the time. Only fully dressing one weekend a month I'd accumulate a huge and ridiculous amount of clothes. When I'd have my weekend, I'd load up the whole back of my Suburban. Most of this stuff was thrift store finds, so I didn't have a ton of money invested. Sometimes I'd try it on in the hotel and never wear it out. I'd just re-donate it. Even counting only the clothes I kept, I probably had 10 times what my wife did, and only dressed 2 or 3 days a month. I don't accumulate anymore. I have one walk-in closet that holds everything, and when it starts getting crowded I cull a lot of it. Part of the deal is shopping is what I do when I'm dressed. I'm going to change that, but that's been my habit. When I shop, I buy. The result is an obscene amount of clothes. In my own defense, clothes are my thing. Not golf, not fishing or hunting, not a lot of things that are expensive to do. Not that I have to explain it to anybody anymore. I almost never pay full price. I shop at thrift stores and department store clearance racks. I have no idea how much I spend in a year, but it's worth it!

BTW, Judy, I don't see how you do it! I'd be taking frequent "business trips".

Pat
02-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Do You Buy Dresses and Clothes even know you can't wear them?

I can understand doing it. If you can't dress but you still have the need to express feminine then I can understand buying clothes as a sort of psychic band-aid. It might be more practical to focus on some other aspect of femininity than clothing -- something you can do. But clothing is such a big, visible signal that I understand the fixation.

Stephanie47
02-22-2018, 12:02 PM
I buy way too many dresses and undergarments. It's not that I will never wear them. It's just I have too many. This week I am expecting the post office to drop off dress #160. I have to maintain a word document listing all my dresses with pictures so I do not buy the same dress again on eBay. I have way too many slips, bras and panties. If I was not married I'd have those dresses hanging in my walk in closet and those undergarments neatly laid out in dresser draws.

I think my buying is a form of retail therapy. Buying clothes I may never wear but once or twice offsets the fact I cannot freely express myself when I want. Judy, I suspect your relationship with your wife is leading you to do exactly that....maintain your sanity under an adverse situation. Go buy a dress! It'll make you feel better.

Jaylyn
02-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Judy I have bought a dress or two and I called it an impulse buy because I might not get to dress for a while. I usually get my wife to buy it for me though as I'm not out. I have several tops and one dress that still has the tags on it and it's been several years since we bought it at Lane Bryant. I have started taking better care of myself and my wife has me on a trim healthy moms diet and I've gotten skinnier so the dress may not even fit now. Recently my wife lost a lot of weight and bought all new clothes so she gave me a bunch of good tops and pants. I'm still dressing out of her stack of old clothes.

~Joanne~
02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
I have never bought anything that I didn't plan on wearing the minute I got home with it. it would be pointless to do so and a huge waste of money

DIANEF
02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
I buy clothes with the full intention of wearing them, doesn't always happen though. I already have more clothes than I need, but sometimes something catches your eye and you just have to have it. Right now I spend more on accessories than clothes.

Shayna
02-22-2018, 04:12 PM
I buy with the intention of wearing, but sometimes I don’t know when that will be.

anna kate
02-22-2018, 04:14 PM
I have in the past bought femme clothes, knowing I had no place to wear them. I have curbed my buying tremendously (have more dresses than my wife), but once in a while I just need to buy something. Today for instance, was in a thrift store, saw a pair of jean shorts ($4.95). Guess I bought them to ease the pain. I'll wear them when the weather warms.

Harriettes
02-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Just recently I bought my first dress at a consignment shop. I asked permission to try it on and the woman running the store said "Yes". (The dress was marked down to $8). I have been back several times and the shop keeper and I have had great conversations about what kind of dress and other things that I might like. I know that I will buy more and have a very limited chance to wear them especially heels.

Allison Chaynes
02-22-2018, 06:37 PM
This, I think, explains it well. I have cut back, as I have way too much stuff I'll never wear, but there's a thrill, maybe a dopamine high, from buying new clothes.

I can understand doing it. If you can't dress but you still have the need to express feminine then I can understand buying clothes as a sort of psychic band-aid. It might be more practical to focus on some other aspect of femininity than clothing -- something you can do. But clothing is such a big, visible signal that I understand the fixation.

Helen Waite
02-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Absolutely! Dresses, skirts/blouses, cute shoes & boots - I have little opportunity to dress, but doggone it, I'm going to have a sweet wardrobe to pick from when I have the chance. Just have to figure out makeup to cover my ugly mug.

Patience
02-22-2018, 07:38 PM
When I started out, I had a hard time eyeballing what clothing sizes would fit me and that meant that some items I have bought will never be worn.

A few months in, I can now gauge much better whether something will fit me or not, but everything I buy is done so with the intention to wear it at some point in the future.

Judy-Somthing
02-22-2018, 09:21 PM
I find just having a beautiful dress even if you can't wear it is so cool!
I hate to admit it but, I have bought a few super sexy dresses that didn't even fit!
It's a bummer being SZ 18 Woman's and loving dresses! There's so many size 8 to 12 W but 18, not!

Karen RHT
02-23-2018, 12:50 PM
I keep flip flopping back and forth between "need" and "want" so to speak. At times I'll say no to a dress, skirt, or blouse on the basis I don't "need" another one. Other times I just can't resist the "I want it" temptation. Keep in mind my wife's fine with me wearing what I please around the house, but not with the idea of me being out in public. There's reason to believe she'll soon overcome that objection, at which point I'll likely make a lot more purchases based on both need and want. lol

Karen