PDA

View Full Version : Separate Social media?

Drew GB
02-25-2018, 01:03 AM
Does anyone, wether out or not, have a separate social media account for your femme persona? Now to be clear I am not asking anyone to reveal any account info I just want to know if you have it or have thought about it?

I Have a dedicated E-mail and other accounts for Andy but I am slightly worried about people I know getting links to them. Of course I could just say it’s not me and or my identity was hacked or it was a joke played on me by a friend. Just in case. But then I may just own up to it depending on how I feel.

Thoughts?

Melissa Rose
02-25-2018, 01:25 AM
To keep your social media accounts as separate as possible, follow the steps below.

1. Use a different browser for each account (e.g., Firefox and Chrome)
2. Use a different email provider for each account (e.g., yahoo and gmail) with very different email names
3. Do not like or share the same people, companies, organizations, etc. with both accounts
4. Do not post the same pictures in both accounts
5. If being extra careful, clear your browser history, cache and cookies after each time you visit either account. You can do this with only one browser if you do not want to keep losing saved login and password info.

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 01:30 AM
Melissa Rose is right on all counts.
Thats the way I have been doing it for years.
One tip as well on your female page block your male account and that should do it.

Drew GB
02-25-2018, 01:32 AM
I follow most of that except for the separate browsers as I do most of this on my phone. Funny now I look at it I wonder if this is somehow illeagal. LOL

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 02:00 AM
No different than 2 people using the same computer at the same house and one uses one browser and the other likes a different one.

Tracy Irving
02-25-2018, 02:08 AM
I never felt a strong burning desire to post pictures of me in a dress on the internet. That makes it easy to avoid excuses and difficult for people finding anything.

Robyn mac
02-25-2018, 02:15 AM
I have never been big about social media but want to setup a Facebook account for my female life. I I don't have Facebook at all so I won't have to worry about my acct.
Melissa thank you for your helpful tips for new browser and email

Drew GB
02-25-2018, 02:51 AM
It is not so much of posting pics but after going out I have made new friends and they have asked if I (Andy) had a FB acct so tonight I made one. I just want to keep in touch with my new girlfriends.

Ressie
02-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Using separate browsers is a good idea. I didn't think of that.

Karen RHT
02-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Wife doesn't use our pc, has her own phone, and never looks at mine. I use a completely different email service for Karen. Neither of us use social media.

Karen

mbmeen12
02-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Wonderful ideas and I too use one for business and other for Kara time. Browser is new to me.....thx

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 10:00 AM
I enjoy my girl FB more than my guy one and I have lots of friends from here on my girl page.

Beverley Sims
02-25-2018, 10:54 AM
This is as social that I get with media.

I don't get many likes here. :-)

Melissa Rose
02-25-2018, 11:02 AM
It is not so much of posting pics but after going out I have made new friends and they have asked if I (Andy) had a FB acct so tonight I made one. I just want to keep in touch with my new girlfriends.
Others can tag you in posts and photos so they show up in your FB timeline thus you do not have complete control over it. You can disallow friends from tagging you or posting to your timeline but that sort of defeats some of the purpose of having a FB page. Only tag those you really want to see your posts or pictures. Be selective about who you have as FB friends. Some people "friend" any and everyone. Pay attention to your mutual FB friends. That now connects three people or more people.

Since I have transitioned, it has been years since I've had two FB pages. Some common sense and a bit of knowledge goes a long way in keeping parts of the your on-line lives separate regardless of the reasons for it.

docrobbysherry
02-25-2018, 03:05 PM
I use different servers, (providers), for my 2 FB accounts and 2 email accounts. So far, it's been over 10 years with no glitches or cross overs to date!:D

35 Friends on my FB page. Over a thousand on Sherrys!:tongueout

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 04:07 PM
I agree don't friend someone just to get you number of friends up be selective on who you accept as a "friend".
There are lots of low life people that will try and "friend" you so be careful.
Its not a competition to see who has the most friends or the most "likes" just be selective is all I'm saying.

Majella St Gerard
02-25-2018, 05:19 PM
I only have the one Facebook page and only one e-mail account. My days of hiding are OVER. I don't care what other people think of me, I'm not doing anything illegal and I'm confident enough to "own it". If people search and check me out they will then know my hobby. Life's too short to live in the closet hiding who I am.

Drew GB
02-25-2018, 05:26 PM
More power to you and I hope to be there some day as well but I’m not quite there. I guess this brings me to a different Selena and one I have been fighting with for about as long as I can remember and that is honesty. I could get into it here but I don’t want to bury the needle here so I may start a new thread. Basically I don’t want to lie to anyone but I don’t know if I want them to find out as well which may mean telling a fib or two. This is a very tricky and fine line to tread.

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 05:32 PM
You don't have to lie to anyone you just don't need to tell them everything if you don't want to.
They don't tell you everything about them do they so why do you have to?
You do whats right for you.

sometimes_miss
02-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Just like here, I have separate accounts which do not link to my real life identity. I don't want some lunatic showing up at my front door because I disagreed with them in an online debate.

Tabitha_Lynn
02-27-2018, 10:12 AM
I have separate accounts, too. I use separate browsers and apps for access. I also set my privacy setti gs very specifically to limit who sees and can friend my accounts.

Ceera
02-27-2018, 10:46 AM
I have seperate accounts, and while I was quite cautious, it eventually outed me to my family. Different email, no friends in common, yet I still showed up as a “someone you may know” referral by FB in a social friend’s feed and eventually in a family member’s feed.

Make sure to block every person that it is critical for you not to be outed to. Family members, co-workers, etc. If you do not take that precaution, they will eventually see your page.

LaSirenaBella
02-27-2018, 02:38 PM
I've had separate accounts from the get-go, as far as Facebook is concerned. As far as any of the others, I only have "Sirena" accounts. I'm semi-open, and have a good idea of who knows and who doesn't. For those who do know me-as-Sirena, yes: I welcome them on either or both accounts.

For one account (my default/male one), I use Safari, as anything shared for FB via macOS or iOS goes to that on. I have Firefox running for anything Sirena-related. And I have them on full-screen so with macOS High Sierra, I just swipe back and forth between the two accounts. I have my default FB running on Windows 10 via the app, but I pretty much use Windows only for gaming.

I tend toward one or the other depending on how I feel. Right now, I am leaning heavily toward my "Sirena" account. I tend to be more open about my emotions on that one, which is not to say I am completely reserved and stone-faced on the other. I'll share mundane daily pictures on either one. At this point in my life, aside from some strategic blocking of the few I don't want knowing, if someone asks, I tell. I'm pretty much out in my professional life as well as most of my social circles. Family is a little trickier. I'm only out to a few people, but I also have the luxury of living on the opposite coast, so it's easier to stay closeted with the religious nuts in my family.

I should be more strategic about blocking, though. Thank you for those tips.

Sirena

elizabethamy
03-05-2018, 01:35 PM
CAUTION: Elizabethamy started a Facebook account just a few days ago after years of staying offline completely. Done on "private browsing," etc. -- after three days Facebook began to propose potential friends, ALL of whom were friends from my long-active, assigned-named, male account. This crossover is unacceptable and wildly dangerous -- the friends of the male account might well be offered elizabethamy as a potential friend. So she deleted her new account, with a few tears and a sense of relief.

Twitter doesn't seem to have the same crossover, so on there until proven wrong. Do others think that's okay?

e.a.

Tracii G
03-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Did you use a different email and different browser for each elizabethamy?
All you have to do is block the guy you from your girls page and no crossover will happen.

Frannie7
03-05-2018, 11:08 PM
I use private browsing mode whenever doing anything related to my femme self. I have heard about separate FB accounts finding themselves do I avoid that. I have a separate email for Frannie and the only "social" media I use are this site and the Discord server. I have several friends there I chat with.

Becky Blue
03-06-2018, 01:14 AM
I have seperate accounts too I mix it up with what browsers I use.. I have also blocked everyone from my guy life I can think of in Becky's facebook. I also never login to her FB on any computer that others in my family use. Also unique email accounts. Its also a very good idea to regularly clear your browser history etc and also always have very different passwords for his and her accounts.

Krisi
03-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Facebook is pretty tricky. Among other things, it uses facial recognition. If you're not "out" and want to stay that way, I would suggest not having both male and female accounts.

CindyT
03-06-2018, 11:23 PM
I have 2 different accounts on social media. I set up my Firefox browser to "Always Use Private Browsing Mode", that way, all my browsing history is deleted when I close my browser. I'm the only one that uses this PC anyway, just being safe.

elizabethamy
03-07-2018, 01:58 AM
The email addresses were from completely different providers and there were no other shared identifying characteristics. All browsing under elizabeth amy was done in private mode; passwords were not saved on the computer or browser's preferences. I did, though, do all of my social media in the same browser, so I'm guessing it was either Safari making the connection or Facebook matching IP addresses, which are really hard to hide or alter. So far I haven't seen any problems with twitter, and I hope it stays that way, as elizabethamy is happily following all kinds of transfolk and enjoying the ride (twitter: elizabethamy11). Has anyone had "outing" problems with twitter?

p.s. Before I created this new short-lived Facebook elizabethamy account, I have noticed facebook once in a while suggesting friendship with some trans person who I might have read or downloaded in another program. It's just not a safe platform...

Krisi
03-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Not that most folks would care but I think it's against Facebook policy to have multiple accounts in fictitious names.

Drew GB
03-07-2018, 03:07 PM
After starting my Andy FB it requires a phone number but it won’t let me use the same one from my normal account. I tried putting in a 555 movie number but every time I log in I have to go through this whole process. So I just closed it since I plan on coming out soon anyways. I’ll just wait and announce it there as well.

Charona
03-07-2018, 06:45 PM
When I opened my Facebook account I did it from a computer. No phone number was required. I suspect opening an account using a cell phone or a tablet might require the phone number. As others have suggested, use different browsers and different email addresses. Don't "friend" either account from the other. Avoid pictures to make things more difficult for Facebook's facial recognition.

elizabethamy
03-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Maybe so, but every time I tried to read someone's Facebook anonymously giant popup windows would appear demanding that I either log in or start an account, so elizabethamy signed up, was flooded with potential friends from her male life, and unsigned up...

Ressie
03-18-2018, 03:53 PM
OK, I just created and opened a fem FB account with a different email address and different browser. I ran into a glitch already. Firefox has been my male browser for years, Safari was used for the female account.

So, after a couple of hours I clicked on Facebook with Firefox and FB urged me to log on to my new account with my new fem password. I was logged onto both accounts at the same time before this happened, but for some reason FB logged off my male account for me.

I logged back on to my male account but had to update to a new password. I logged off of my new fem account just before that because I thought there must be a conflict there.

So it looks like FB is connecting both accounts from my IP address? I understand that two different people could be using the same computer but probably not at the same time.

Tracii G
03-18-2018, 03:59 PM
People talk about facial recognition on FB but I see no proof of it so far

Drew GB
03-18-2018, 04:31 PM
I think it is only so far a pictures you upload. FB is not looking at you through your camera... yet...

BLUE ORCHID
03-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Hi Andy :hugs:, I just stay clear of Social Media !! >Orchid...:daydreaming:...

Drew GB
03-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Stay clear or come out that is my solution as of right now. I can’t stand all the cloak and dagger things that being in the closet brings with it. I would simply rather face the world as who I am and take my lumps rather than having to remember another dumb password. :2c: but for those of you who make it work and need it to work that way more power to you. :hugs:

Milly1410
03-21-2018, 05:55 PM
I use separate accounts too, with the difference that I don't use separate softwares to "divide" them.

Alice_2014_B
03-22-2018, 02:35 AM
I have a separate email, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter for my fem-self.
But I never use the separate FB.
My fem YT and Twitter are way more popular than my regular ones.

Here is my YouTube, "Alice Bridge":
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiDMAtBb4kRWbEcTirMvQ_w

My Twitter is also on my profile here.

:)