PDA

View Full Version : We Rock.....dont we

mykell
02-25-2018, 09:27 AM
being firmly in the gender non conforming camp i was put aback this past week when i was asked to not play my radio station when a gay mens chorus was to meet at the club to size up our place for an upcoming performance during pride week.

i was firmly told LGBT folks dont listen to rock ???? says who, my experience here is we as the "T" certainly do. The nerve of this person i thought, act different.....gay people will be coming dont embarrass me ?

from threads such as "do guitars make us crossdressers" and some doing performances dressed playing rock tunes. preferring to put on a dress and heels in know way makes us like something other than what we like.

so id like to know who here Rocks....

Lana Mae
02-25-2018, 09:31 AM
There are only 2 forms of music Rock and Roll! OK, yes I do like a little of each kind of music but mainly-rock! Hugs Lana Mae

JocelynJames
02-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Hell yeah I rock. I’ve been a guitar player and in rock/metal band for the past 32 years. I listen to rock radio 10+ hours a day and usually jump at the chance to see a favorite rock band. I still take guitar lessons as I don’t think you ever stop learning. I like jazz and classical as well, but rock is my life blood.

Tracy Irving
02-25-2018, 09:46 AM
I can't imagine there is much correlation between the music we listen to and the clothes we choose to wear.

IleneD
02-25-2018, 09:48 AM
288919 288920

Do we rock? Oh yes, we do; en femme. Sometimes we rock ourselves!

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Dyed in the wool metal head rocker here and have been since the beginning of metal with Black Sabbath.(saw them live in 1970).
Love all kinds of music but hard rock and metal are my thing.
Played in a few bands over the years and still listen to rock and roll everyday.
Gee this is an old pic.LOL

Pat
02-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Oh dear -- last week I had to tell one of my gay friends that he was faking it because he didn't meet the list of criteria that was published by Indonesia. This week I'll have to tell even more of them that they aren't gay because they listen to the wrong music. Where will it end? Clearly we all all defined by our secondary and tertiary characteristics and simply BEING something is not enough. You have to act like it as well. Get acting, ladies....
:brolleyes:

KimberlyJean
02-25-2018, 10:17 AM
Sorry, country girl here. All of you pretenders are going to have to turn in your clothes. LOL!

prettytoes
02-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Similar to my wardrobe, I sit on both sides of the fence...I like both Classic Rock and Country. I been to many concerts, from AC/DC (hmmm...another CD reference?) to Def Leppard to Sugarland to Little Big Town. Only thing I can't stand is rap and hip-hop. Some of the new stuff in the pop category can also make my ears bleed.

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Its funny at metal shows nobody cares who is gay or dresses enfemme.
Its all about the love of that style of music, who you are and what you are makes no difference.
I do Like all different kinds of music from Celtic to country from 60s rock to classical if its good I will listen to it.
Been to hundreds of concerts over the years encompassing all styles of music.

Beverley Sims
02-25-2018, 10:51 AM
I even have an extensive Melvis Pressbee collection

Lots of original 45s and I can do Johnny Cash, Abba and they tell me Kylie Minogue is for the gays.

Oh! well what a twisted rocker I turned out to be.

Sorry Tracii, not really into heavy metal, but I do read all your escapades.

Melanie Moxon
02-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Erm, I rather like heavy rock and metal myself. I dunno who decides these things.

DIANEF
02-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Who the f... told you that! I love music of all kinds, especially rock, punk, metal, industrial; my son, who is gay, is the same. I've got everything from Strauss to Slayer in my collection. Tish and piffle for sure.

nvlady
02-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Growing up in the '50s I was attracted to women's clothes and I liked rock and roll. Now sixty years later I haven't changed.

Jamie Lynn
02-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Rock and Rolllllllll !!!!!!!!:cheer::GD::banana::danceman:

Majella St Gerard
02-25-2018, 11:53 AM
I'm a classic rock fan but I'll listen to just about anything.

Aunt Kelly
02-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Based on my wholly unscientific anecdotal observations, the musical tastes of gay men fall into to two broad categories; "dance club" music (techno and/or hip-hop) or classics/show tunes. Age is a reliable indicator of which group an individual will find himself. Yes, of course that's a stereotype. Stereotypes don't appear out of thin air, they arise from repeated observation. The mistake is in applying that stereotype to all members of the group. Of course not every gay male is a devotee of show tunes, but...
You knew there was a "but" coming, right?
...but choral groups, as a group, tend to favor musical genre's that are... something other than rock. I can understand a savvy businessperson not wanting that chorus to be put off by a certain ambiance. Sure, it might be a one-night performance, but it would be a big one, in other words, good for business.

Teresa
02-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Mykell,
It sounds like the person concerned was just passing on their own personal likes and dislikes, I'm afraid the short answer to them is you are talking total BS !!!

The fact they were a male chorus has no bearing on their sexual preferences or their personal musical tastes . They were meeting as singers and not visiting a gay bar !

Sallee
02-25-2018, 01:40 PM
thats kind of crazy Talk about stereo typing. Whoa

Rollermiss
02-25-2018, 01:41 PM
For me it is classic rock and roll. Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Bob Seger, AC/DC etc. and the later 90s early 2000s Country.( Rock and Roll country) Toby Kieth, Travis Tritt Etc. I usually have the house radio on SiriusXM Classic vinyl.

Kelsey

Allisa
02-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Elitist come in all genders and I guess sexual preferences, good thing I wasn't there I've been in a confrontational mood lately. I hope it wasn't the person I met there during a visit.

kimdl93
02-25-2018, 02:15 PM
I'm curious, what kind of music was deemed appropriate. I'd be willing to bet that members of the gay chorus listened to things other than choral music. Might even have been some blue grass fans among them!

Linda Leigh
02-25-2018, 02:18 PM
I am a small time DJ that does 50's, 60's & 70's rock and roll ONLY

natalie edwards
02-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Go on I Heart Radio and listen to Pride Radio. I can listen here in NYC it's 103.5 WKTU HD2. No rock, just dance, club music, and some disco classics.
That's probably what they meant.

Jaylyn
02-25-2018, 03:20 PM
I,like basically all types of music except the yelling, loud, obnoxious type. I have played in a Rock Band in the sixties when rock and roll was the thing. I grew up also playing the old type country and have adapted to the country we have listen to today on the stations. Dad taught me some bluegrass on the mandolin, but loved my old guitar and playing it. We had a good country band in the 70s and early 80s. I still have enough equipment to start one today.
I don't believe that guitars make us crossdressers or electric Les Paul guitars make us a rocker. I own two Les Paul Gibsons and I'm not gay. But am a crossdresser. I don't think one can define their gender or what they conform to by the music one listens to. Yep I like rock and especially rocking country.

Shely
02-25-2018, 03:31 PM
my $0.02: I grew up listening to late 50s & 60s rock and roll, but still like some of the 70s. I also love classical music, like Wagner's Ring cycle, Magnificent music! I don't like most of the current popular music. I love the variety of the internet, it's awesome. The sound track of American Graffiti is home to me.

Dana44
02-25-2018, 03:37 PM
I was in bands in the 60's loved rock and roll.

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 04:03 PM
I don't think ones sexual preference derives what music they will or will not like.
I will agree that gay clubs tend to play dance music because people want to dance and nothing more complicated than that.

Nataliebabe
02-25-2018, 04:16 PM
......wastin` away again in Margaritaville...........

Stephanie Voorhees
02-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Brian Johnson of AC/DC said it all: Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution!

Drew GB
02-25-2018, 05:42 PM
The best analogy I can come up with and this is what really confuses the hell out of people is if you were to make a an apple pie you would use a certain set of ingredients and if someone else were to make an apple pie they too would use almost the same exact ingredients. Makes sense so far we’ll what people don’t quite understand is if you equate a trans person to a particular recipe you will find you can get the same result with wildly different ingredients. In the end we are all different just like everyone else.

Jenn26
02-25-2018, 07:13 PM
I love my Country music... but... BUT... yes, classic rock is on my playlists a whole bunch.

sometimes_miss
02-25-2018, 08:05 PM
i was firmly told LGBT folks dont listen to rock

I'm curious, what kind of music was deemed appropriate.

Me, too. What did they suggest you listen to? A strict playlist of Liza Minnelli?

Amelie
02-25-2018, 09:01 PM
I am a gay stereotype. I only listen to Judy Garland tunes and watch Joan Crawford films.

My style of clothes do reflect my style of music, Goth/Punk.

Edit: I'm also a "Rude Girl".

Maria Blackwood
02-25-2018, 11:12 PM
I play drums in a 5 man garage band. We play stuff from 60s to 80s. We suck but it’s fun. Well, our cover of Hard Days Night isn’t bad, and we do a decent Rock And Roll Damnation by AC/DC.

I started playing drums last year at the tender age of 52.

Tracii G
02-25-2018, 11:35 PM
Having fun with friends that are into the same music, toss a few beers back and rock and roll.
Doesn't get much better than that Marla.LOL
There are some kids down the street that have a band and they are pretty good after about a year of playing together.
I work on their guitars for them and even jam with them sometimes.
First time James the guitar player came to the house to pick up his guitar and he asked me to jam with them and help them adjust their amps.
I grabbed a guitar a cable and walked down there.
His band mates were dressed like they were in Metallica or some metal band. They looked at me like James what is this old fart doing here?
I helped James dial in his amp and the bass player too. I asked what other amps they had around I could plug into so they pulled out a really cheap solid state amp so I mic'd it into the pa and fired it up.
Rippped out a few licks to warm up and the kids sat there I said OK what are we playing what key?
Played Thunderstruck by AC/DC and had a blast playing with them.
The drummer was 13 at the time and he said wow for an old dude you kick ass you want in the band? LOL
I said no you all are too good for me I couldn't keep up .

susan54
02-26-2018, 05:47 AM
What puzzles me is how a crossdresser plays guitar. Or are you willing to cut your nails right back on your left hand?

Teri Ray
02-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Well if you really want the answer to what kind of music crossdressers listen to all you gotta do is refer to our handbook............"Rules For Crossdressing" ....page 102 section 36-28-34. It clearly states........... crossdressers enjoy all types of music, like clothes no single type, or style is right for all. Final answer.

I am a cross-listener. If the music grabs me it doesn't matter the style.

Bye the way I am music/ tone impaired. MY DNA does not have a musical gene. The only musical instrument I can play is a kazoo and then not well. I can't carry a tune in a bucket if I try to sing. I am the only person I know who was asked "not to sing" in junior high if I wanted to pass choir. I became a musical mime.

But I enjoy listening. I envy those who play an instrument effortlessly.

Tracii G
02-26-2018, 07:59 AM
susan54 you of all people should know there are no rules to CDing.

mykell
02-26-2018, 09:27 AM
thanks for all the kind replies, even from those country folks....

Who the f... told you that! I love music of all kinds, especially rock, punk, metal, industrial; my son, who is gay, is the same. I've got everything from Strauss to Slayer in my collection. Tish and piffle for sure.
i have indeed been served a big ole fat plate of tish & piffle.....it does not taste like chicken.

Elitist come in all genders and I guess sexual preferences, good thing I wasn't there I've been in a confrontational mood lately. I hope it wasn't the person I met there during a visit.
indeed....i believe it was, have cleared out much of the things i have accumulated in my time there, will make it easy to move out when the last straw breaks, pity....anyone else whom ive interacted with has been so accommodating

Mykell,
It sounds like the person concerned was just passing on their own personal likes and dislikes, I'm afraid the short answer to them is you are talking total BS !!!

The fact they were a male chorus has no bearing on their sexual preferences or their personal musical tastes . They were meeting as singers and not visiting a gay bar !
the folks from the chorus were quite pleasant, at one point they wanted to measure something, one had left the tape "on the table" from wherever they came from, i had one in my backpack that i use for measuring on e-bay. i offered it and even quipped that even though i was not a girl scout i was prepared.....

What puzzles me is how a crossdresser plays guitar. Or are you willing to cut your nails right back on your left hand?
what about the other stereotype, LGBT folks are lefties

snip .......
...but choral groups, as a group, tend to favor musical genre's that are... something other than rock. I can understand a savvy businessperson not wanting that chorus to be put off by a certain ambiance. Sure, it might be a one-night performance, but it would be a big one, in other words, good for business.
and there it is.....ding ding ding ding.....its all about perception, dam your feelings......anytime i have felt uncomfortable here it has been this common denominator, i always feel like its "what do i do with this trans person" during events when they have events and folks meet them at the office in the club....

just had to vent.....thanks, i think i overthink it sometimes with this person but its getting to the point that im not and i need to move on to someplace im more appreciated even with all the good things that happen there.....

DaisyLawrence
02-26-2018, 09:58 AM
OK, this person was wrong, clearly. Why they think LGBT people would have different musical taste to the general population is a mystery. BUT, stepping out the box a minute and looking back in, at least they appear to have made their eroneous statement with good intent in an attempt to please the visitors. If it had been a visiting classical orchestra they would probably have made the same incorrect assumption and therefore have made the same request of you. Sometimes in life we have to look through the detail to see positive underneath. Just saying, no need to bite my head off.

t-girlxsophie
02-26-2018, 11:36 AM
I have very much an eclectic taste in music from swing to reggae/ska.From rock to r and b,only music that leaves me cold is C & W (apologies to any country fans) god knows what that says about me

Micki_Finn
02-26-2018, 12:07 PM
While I like Rock I’m going to totally stir the pot here:

Rock and Roll is dead.

Think about it all you rockers, who do you love? Chances are it’s a band from the 60s, 70s or 80s. The last great creative resurgence of rock and roll was the Grunge movement 20 years ago. When was the last time you heard a really great NEW rock band?

LilSissyStevie
02-26-2018, 12:08 PM
If you drive into the mountains until you come to the end of the pavement, continue down the dirt road until you literally hear banjos, you've arrived at my place.

Stephanie47
02-26-2018, 12:10 PM
So poodle skirts and rock & rolls don't mix? As a child of the 1950's and 1960's I grew up listening to rock & roll. I did not know country existed until I got married to a west coast girl, who dragged me to Felt Forum to listen to country. I'll stick to my Golden Oldies and poodle skirts, thank you!

AmberLeigh
02-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Heavy metal, grunge or alternative rock are my favorites. I enjoy listening to Rage against the Machine or Queens of the stone age or Tool while I'm doing my makeup, it helps get me into what I like to call "Amber" mode.

Cassandra Lynn
02-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Hello to my neighbor in Boise, welcome Amber.

I've been just kinda reading thru the responses and trying to keep my yap shut, and i'll try to say this being nice, but aside from the fact that I find modern C & W to be whiny, sad, boring and pathetic in it's personality, it's also performed by, and listened to by a majority of moral conservatives.
You know the rednecks and the 'you have to be Christian, white and hetero' to matter types.
Just my opinion of course, ymmv and after all music is subjective and if my lovely sisters here can get past all that and find enjoyment than yeeeehaawww! I can be a hypocrite at times...soooowweeeee.

I've gotten away from the hard rock station here in the Treasure Valley of Idaho, it's just gotten stagnant. In fact, driving is when I listen to music the most and I tend to stick with CDs and my choices are all over the place as far as genre. Just about everything but pop, rap, and oh yeah, c&w.

Actually it's mostly the singing and the lyrical content that irritates me about country. I love Ray LaMontagne, steel guitars with a rootsy soul voice, and bluegrass is nice.

At home, I've fell back into a fondness for classical (12 yrs ago I went nuts about violin concertos) now i'm crazy about the Piano. (check out Yuja Wang on YouTube....i'm in love).

But it does seem to be true that the gay nightclubs are all dance music. The whole Cher and Liza Minelli thing is getting old in my book.

5150 Girl
02-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Well, I can play with active length nails!
But, I go beyond the realm of cross dresser int trans. So called "real" women don't have a mandatory minimum length to their nails, so, short, long, it's all good!

- - - Updated - - -

GBLT don't listen to whaaaaaaaa????????? Tell that to Joan Jett, Freddie Mercury, and a laundry list of performers as long as a summer's day! One of the things the GBLT community wants from the general public is to not be stereotyped! They say they want to make a good impression, and then turn around and stereotype? Really?!?!?

I just wanna rock and roll all night, and party every day!!!

Tracii G
02-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Cassandra you sure have your stereotypes down pat don't you?
Most of your current C&W performers hail from big cities and haven't got a country bone in their body.
I don't care for the new age country pop its just rehashed pop music and isn't all that good.
There are old school country players out there and I will give them credit for staying true to their roots.
I work with bands and to say there has not been a ground breaking artists to come along and change music forever has a lot of validity because we are over due.
There are great bands out there touring you may have never heard of because they aren't riding on the coat tails of any new hot sound the record companies are pushing.They are publishing their own stuff and cutting the record companies out of the scene and that is a good thing.
Go support your local music scene by going to shows and buying band swag to keep them going.
There are so many great bands out there doing their own thing and 9 out of 10 could play circles around big name bands we all know from the past.
The scene is vibrant and you should participate in supporting local venues by going and enjoying live music.

Genny B
02-26-2018, 09:13 PM
Makes me wonder why Karaoke is so popular at all the LGBT bars...

Genny B

Maria Blackwood
02-27-2018, 09:03 AM

Rock and Roll is dead.

Think about it all you rockers, who do you love? Chances are it’s a band from the 60s, 70s or 80s. The last great creative resurgence of rock and roll was the Grunge movement 20 years ago. When was the last time you heard a really great NEW rock band?

Every few months. Example: Lots of great progressive rock coming out of Europe these days. One of my favs, Whyzdom (French) was formed in 2007. A number of new progrock band arose in the 2012 timeframe to breathe new life into the genre.

HollieAJ1986
02-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Just sounds like someone using the LGBT tag as an reason/excuse to dissmiss other peoples tastes in music, like some how anyone who is part of the LGBT community should only like, Oh i dont know Show Tunes and Pop music...?

There are many famous and not so famous LGBT people in Rock & Metal
Freddie Mercury, Rob Halford, Joan Jett, Otep, Gaahl, Mina Caputo, Laura Jane Grace to name a few

And personally I have been listening to Rock/Metal/Punk and alternative music in general long before I ever knew I was a crossdresser or part of the LGBT community...

Hell on Heels
02-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Hell-o Mykell,
You know I’m sitting here quietly, eyes closed, relaxed,
and for some strange reason my right hand formed a
set of devil horns, and my arm began to rise above
my head.
I believe the last rock concert I’ve seen was
Ronnie James Dio at the Filmore in S.F.
Hell! Was that really 20 years ago???
Much Love,
Kristyn

mykell
02-27-2018, 06:19 PM
and here i am waiting for the Novocaine to wear down, my dentist asked what id prefer when he went to turn on the music, i smiled a devilish smile and said rock of coarse yet somehow we were listening to country as he drilled my tooth......ahhh the smell of burning bone in the afternoon.....all while the country crooner sings of visiting his future ex mother-in-law.....

Cassandra Lynn
02-27-2018, 06:37 PM
all while the country crooner sings of visiting his future ex mother-in-law.....

Maybe she can help him get his pick-up truck and lost dog back!

5150 Girl
02-27-2018, 07:27 PM
and here i am waiting for the Novocaine to wear down, my dentist asked what id prefer when he went to turn on the music, i smiled a devilish smile and said rock of coarse yet somehow we were listening to country as he drilled my tooth......ahhh the smell of burning bone in the afternoon.....all while the country crooner sings of visiting his future ex mother-in-law.....

Double the torture there!!!
Hey, you know what I wanna know about twang twang???? Well,, with cars becoming autonomous now, how long before we see and autonomous pick up truck. Then, how long after that will there be a country song about getting left by your truck?

- - - Updated - - -

Rock and Roll is dead.

When the synthesizer started gaining popularity in the 80's, I think it signaled the beginning of the end for not just rock and roll, but music as we once knew it. throughout the 80's and into the 90's the synth gradually started replacing musicians. At the time we applauded, "Hey now I can do a multi role all by myself!" Then came windows 95, and computers were everywhere! Record labels found that they could do what I call "cookie cutter" albums. Generic one size fits all (or most at least) cranked out by a computer, and designed to appeal to the broadest possible audience in an attempt to maximize profits.
Joe Walsh is also very outspoken on this topic. Here is a quote from one of meany interviews with him....
“I have watched music go from an art form into an industry. And I have watched it stop dead in its tracks because of the digital age,”... The new generation of musicians is writing music on computers, and this is very sad. Because the quality of songwriting has crashed and dived. There are some songs out that are made by only one guy, who works a computer and doesn’t play any instruments.

“So the days of going into a recording studio, setting up in the same room with other musicians and having eye contact with them is gone. There’s a great mojo in musicians creating music together — the magic of the human performance And all of that is gone. You can tell when you listen to the radio. Most of the songs on radio are perfect now. And perfect, to me, doesn’t sound right.” (Joe Walsh in an interview with George Varga May 14 2016, The San Diego Union-Tribune) http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sdut-joe-walsh-interview-2016may14-htmlstory.html

Pat
02-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Rock and Roll is dead.

Was there ever a time in the history of Rock & Roll that someone wasn't pronouncing it dead? I think it reflects on the person playing musical medical examiner more than it reflects on the genre. It generally means their tastes have solidified and can't follow where Rock has gone / is going.

When I was in my 20's, my music teacher (former pianist with the NBC Symphony in the 40's) told me, "You can't claim to love music if you don't love all music. If there's a kind of music you don't like, the problem is you don't understand it." The lecture was apropos of me saying I hated opera and resulted in me going out and learning more about it. I'm a total fan now. I hated Bluegrass until I performed it for four years.

To bring it around to transgenderism, all those folks who say they don't like transgender folks? They just don't understand us. ;)

Aunt Kelly
02-27-2018, 08:18 PM
So rock and roll is dead? Watch this (https://youtu.be/Le-3MIBxQTw)and then tell me that rock is dead. Brittany Howard is the real deal. Anyone who lists her influences as Bon Scott, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie was definitely brought up right. Rock may not command the airwaves like it did in the late twentieth century, but there are still lots of new talents reinventing the genre every day. You just have to know where to look, because the corporate music business doesn't sell it anymore.

AlexisRaeMoon
02-28-2018, 12:00 AM
First: Yes, we rock. Absolutely. This thread is exhibit A.

Second: Now I can't get that Dio song out of my head!

Third: I posted a thread a few years ago, asking about rock clubs where M2F crossdressers would be welcome, because hanging out at a dance club isn't my idea of a good time. The answers mostly seemed in the negative. If you want T-girl friendly nightclubs, don't could on rocking. So my question for this group is, where should we go? I want to dress pretty and rock at that same time, and I'm obviously not alone...

I found Tracii's comment that most metal audiences are cool with you, however you dress, intriguing. I haven't experienced it myself - can you share a bit more about that? I was super-close to dressing up to go see Against Me! last time they played in town, but didn't try it because I hadn't come out to wife at the time. Not sure how she'd feel about it now, but I feel that any audience that's cool with Laura Jane Grace would be cool with anyone!

Finally, here's proof that I rock both male and female. The best thing about playing in an 80's metal cover band is you can wear tights, wigs, and makeup on stage, and people love it! Same axe in both...

289045 289046

Tracii G
02-28-2018, 12:19 AM
I saw Tom Keifer (Cinderella) enfemme but I went with 3 GG's..
Not really a metal show that time but plenty of headbangers and a mosh pit that I wouldn't get near LOL.
Not one bad look towards us just people buying us drinks every now and then.It was a great show.
Saw Black Flag enfemme and punks/metal heads all over the place and I was up front at the stage with a bunch of BIG guys with spikes thru their noses.
One looked at me and said OK cool I can dig it do your own thing.
Half way thru the show he leaned over and asked if I wanted a beer and I said no thanks I'm not a drinker. He said well come with me anyway we can sit and talk. So we did. He was a nice guy just a gargantuan LOL All of 6 foot 8 and built like a steam roller.
Went to see Brett Michaels with two GG friends that LOVE Brett and we had a killer time.
They were screaming and showing Brett their boobs LOL One kept trying to get me to pull my bra up but oh no I wan't going there.
The crowd there was 75% women having orgasms over Brett and while I like his music and he is cute his new stuff isn't as good as what he did in Poison.

P.S went to see Lita Ford enfemme with some gay friends and they were not much fun so I went up towards the stage hoping to get a pick Lita was tossing into the crowd.
It was funny she saw me trying to catch picks so after the song Kiss Me Deadly she pointed at me and said that lady in the yellow top up front you are so freakin cute you deserve a new pick not a broken one.
She read me and gave me the thumbs up and a big smile as she handed me a guitar pick.
Do it and have fun is all I can say.

Amelie
02-28-2018, 07:04 AM
Alexis, I don't know where you live and I don't even know if there are still places called rock clubs anymore. But when I lived in NYC i went to any rock club or concert place with no problems. It didn't matter what type of band was playing, punk, rockabilly, oldie like the Ventures, alternative, blues, small venues or large it didn't matter. Any place in NYC was OK to go to but I don't know the places that exist today but if there are any, then any place will be OK to see a band.

Also there were places in Baltimore that were more recent but I don't know if they exist either. Ottobar, Rams Head, Orpheus a goth club, They re trying to re open Hammerjacks. I have been to some of these clubs and other smaller places and have had no problems whatever.

5150 Girl
02-28-2018, 03:41 PM
So rock and roll is dead? Watch this (https://youtu.be/Le-3MIBxQTw)and then tell me that rock is dead. alopecia is the real deal. Anyone who lists her influences as Bon Scott, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie was definitely brought up right. Rock may not command the airwaves like it did in the late twentieth century, but there are still lots of new talents reinventing the genre every day. You just have to know where to look, because the corporate music business doesn't sell it anymore.

Alabama Shakes? IDK about the influences listed above, but, I'm feeling a little more R&B from them than Rock.

AlexisRaeMoon
02-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the great stories, Tracii. It's great to hear about those positive experiences! I guess being confident and just doing is a huge part of it all.

Amelie - I'm in Chicago, so there are no shortage of rock clubs. A lot of them are original music venues, and honestly, those are probably the safer bets. Any of the fancy-schmancy clubs that cater to cover bands, etc. are much more likely that attract a meathead crowd that might be hostile to girls like us. I'm thinking places like Empty Bottle, Elbo Room, Reggie's, even Metro, would be pretty cool. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw a CD at a show at Reggie's once. I couldn't be 100% certain, but I think we know...

Allison Chaynes
02-28-2018, 05:38 PM
About all I listen to is rock, mostly grunge and postgrunge. I saw one of Soundgarden's last concerts, sadly, and I had a blast hanging out with the Toadies in September. Their best stuff came after they got back together in the mid 2000s. Really nice guys- I did a VIP meet n greet and they let me sing backing vocals on an acoustic version of "Tyler." All in drab, but you get the point.

I have a couple of cheap guitars. Love singing mostly, though.

Aunt Kelly
02-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Alabama Shakes? IDK about the influences listed above, but, I'm feeling a little more R&B from them than Rock.

Half the acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would fit into multiple categories, including R&B. I don't think anyone would dispute that Janis Joplin was a rock star, but her roots were pure blues and R&B. Getting back to Brittany Howard, to my ear, there's a whole lot of the late Tom Petty in that girl's style, and few would dispute that artist's credentials. The bottom line... categories don't work. The lines are so subjective. For instance, I was at Willies July 4th Picnic last summer and saw a couple of acts, including Lukas Nelson and The Promise of The Real that day, that I would plunk into the rock category. Like I said, you have to know where to look for it, cause it is not on the air in any commercial sense.

Amelie
02-28-2018, 08:42 PM
One has to look and search for good music, it won't be found turning a radio on. There is still some good rock, I like some of the bands from Japan. They have some good goth bands. Also been listening to rockabilly bands out of Norway and other places in Europe. I just search youtube, I'm always finding new bands and old that I never heard before.

Angie G
02-28-2018, 09:30 PM
I love rock mostly from the 50 's 60's and 70's and some of the new stuff. My wife and I have danced to rock for 50 years.:hugs:
Angie

t-girlxsophie
02-28-2018, 09:47 PM

Now that sounds like my idea of Hell 😮

sarab
03-01-2018, 10:15 AM
I love me some rock and blues! I'm a guitarist as well, havent played enfemme yet, but that'll be changing pretty soon. There is a lot of guitar driven music still out there, its just not widely heard on radio because of the narrow boxes stations have become to maximize profit/listeners.

Check out Ariel Bellvalaire or Ally Venable on youtube, tell me rock is dead.

Abbey11
03-02-2018, 07:21 AM
I have a couple of drum kits

BrendaPDX
03-02-2018, 08:46 AM
I am just a crossdresser,but this thread was just too fun not to join in. I like any "good" music, that includes Big Band, Rock n Roll, Pop, and of course both Country and Western.

Krisi
03-02-2018, 09:58 AM
For me it is classic rock and roll. Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Bob Seger, AC/DC etc. .............................

Now that's funny. This is not the first time I've heard Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Bob Seger, AC/DC etc. described as "classic rock". Perhaps it's the age but when I think of classic rock, I think of Fats Domino, Chubby Checker, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Pressley, etc.

As for whether gay people like a certain kind of music, I doubt gay people are any different in their musical tastes than any other group of people.

Monique65
03-02-2018, 10:03 AM
I have played music my entire adult life, starting with Led Zepplin, Cream, and The Who in HS. Got into blues, swing and bluegrass later in life. Now play mostly traditional fiddle tunes and such, but I enjoy all types of music. Rap not so much.

Krisi
03-02-2018, 10:12 AM
I've played music my whole life also but apparently my life began way before yours. As above, I began by playing Fats Domino, Chubby Checker, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Pressley, etc. Then I moved on to Motown, then the Beatles.

I got into playing country music when it was actually country music and the artists were from the country. I made good money at it. I retired and moved away and that was the end of my music career.

I do have a question and answer for everyone though: Why are there so many "oldies" stations on the radio? Answer - Because today's music is not worth listening to.

Tracii G
03-02-2018, 11:01 AM
A lot of what you hear on the radio is pretty bad. Basically "canned" music that is just a sound track with vocals that sound like they were computer generated.
Electronic music to me is annoying because there is not heart and soul to it just machine made and no talent involved.
A good friend of mine played guitar for a country act that opened for Shania Twain and he said she isn't that great a singer.
She uses auto tune software and runs it thru the soundboard and the house PA system at arenas.
A lot of pop singers use it so its not just her.
Pop is just full of talent less artists that use soundtracks at live shows and just act like they are performing.
Thats why I support live local music because the music is original and made with talent,hard work and dedication to the art of music.
I have seen Chubby Checker,Jerry Lee Lewis,Bo Diddly,The Beatles all back in the early 60's and it was a great era in R&R.

Christine Jones
03-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Definitely a rocker, I play bass as well.

Anyone liking the Nasty Habits? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F2yDxbx6Pk they certainly rock

mykell
03-02-2018, 07:57 PM

Rock and Roll is dead.

possibly true, but dead.....no way the station i listen too is peppered with those 60' 70' 80' bands but these are some of the newer artists

bush- theory of a dead man- 3 doors down- kid rock- smashing pumpkins- blur- imagine dragons- foo fighters- evanescence- great von fleet- 3 days grace- godsmack- soundgarten- shinedown- highly suspect- STP- 10 years- blink 182- chevelle- seether- buck cherry- 30 seconds to mars- 5 finger death punch- halestorm- foo fighters- rise against- pearl jam- tool

now some of these i'll assume came from grunge movement but these are current and viable recording artists......the ability for real rock bands making it is hampered by the labels inabilities to see profits early on from bands that would need to be established...kinda like the networks that will not let new TV series establish an audience and drop series after one or two seasons.....everybody seeks instant gratification and PROFITS.....rock & roll was an escape from "the system" for me.

I've read that cheers would not have a shot in hell of making it by today's standards of ratings.

any new and emerging band nowadays are using social media to springboard into mainstream recognition so like tracii says support you local bands when you can.

so Micki " hey hey my my....rock and roll will never die" at least i hope in my lifetime....and i never thought of neil young as a rock artist.....kinda folksy for my taste.

and i do love other genre's of music, its as varied as a box of chocolate....

Aunt Kelly
03-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Are gonna throw down the "acts I have seen" glove? Come on. Bring it, bi***es. ☺

Krisi
03-03-2018, 09:18 AM
............... so like tracii says support you local bands when you can.....

I would but they are so awful! Doesn't anybody actually learn music these days? Like notes and chords? Progressions?

Music to me is not how loud you can play but how well you can play. Do your songs have melodies? Do the chords (if there's more than one) fit together in a musical progression? Can the words be heard and do they tell a story? Are you able to play at less than ear-splitting volume? Screaming at the top of your lungs over an open E chord is not really music.

I recently attended a "swing band" concert. Music of the 1920s through the 1950s. The concert was free and the musicians weren't that good (local school teachers and such, not full time pros), but the songs were there. Melodies, many chords, key changes, etc. That's the music my parents listened to and the music I grew up on until rock and roll took over.

Tracii G
03-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Krisi I get what you are saying and some bands are too loud and thats why I wear hearing protection.
There have always been shitty bands that open shows for other bands and usually those have not been together very long and just starting out. We all start somewhere right?
In my area there are so many great local bands you can go out most any Thurs thru Sat and see whatever music genre you prefer.
The screamo metal I don't get into but I do a lot of work for those kinds bands and they are good people and thankfully the screamo/ gutteral vocals are going out of style and they are actually singing now. LOL The music is technical and they are a top shelf band but the vocals weren't my thing.
If I can't understand the lyrics then I don't listen too it.
Here is a taste of some friends of mine called the Past.
https://youtu.be/6bzcLaKSmOQ

5150 Girl
03-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Half the acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would fit into multiple categories, including R&B. I don't think anyone would dispute that Janis Joplin was a rock star, but her roots were pure blues and R&B. Getting back to Brittany Howard, to my ear, there's a whole lot of the late Tom Petty in that girl's style, and few would dispute that artist's credentials. The bottom line... categories don't work. The lines are so subjective. For instance, I was at Willies July 4th Picnic last summer and saw a couple of acts, including Lukas Nelson and The Promise of The Real that day, that I would plunk into the rock category. Like I said, you have to know where to look for it, cause it is not on the air in any commercial sense.

While I agree that may artists can fit an array of categories, All I'm reallytry'n to say is that BH lists Bon Scott or Robert Plant of Led Zep as an influence, and I just don't hear them in her...

suzanne
03-03-2018, 12:03 PM
So, what do L's and G's and B's listen to? Show tunes? Ballet music, elevator music, or anti government podcasts? Surely not Country.

Happygirl!
03-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Love this thread. Would love to learn how to play guitar, electric or otherwise. People tell me odds of an old dude (or CD in my case :) ) sticking with it are pretty small. Appreciate any tips for learning. And oh yeah the world needs more female guitar artists. Maybe even a few more of us :)

Jenny22
03-03-2018, 02:24 PM
I grew up listening to the music and songs of the 30s, 40s and 50s. That included all of the Big Bands, show tunes and pop music of the eras. I still like them and the songs that had story telling lyrics that weren't repeated over and over again. Plus, I've come to enjoy classical, orchestral and band music (sorry, not opera). So, how would you define me? <grin>

BLUE ORCHID
03-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Political Correctness is totally going to ruin the whole world!