PDA

View Full Version : Trans afterlife

Abbyru1
02-25-2018, 12:58 PM
Curious of those of you who have gone all the way and now are women in a real sense. Have you had to struggle to find employment in your line of work experience or have you had to train to become something more feminine in employment? Talked to a lady recently who has had real trauma in finding a job. So just curious.

Rollermiss
02-25-2018, 01:48 PM
While if it is based on sex, whether or not your born sex is discrimination. Thus illegal. But we all know it does happen. unless it is a job that requires some type of serious back ground check. You don't have to volunteer any info. That is why I have came out to my boss at work due to my job. No one else knows, that I am aware of. If so I don't know about it.

Kelsey

kimdl93
02-25-2018, 02:18 PM
I thought this might be going in a completely different direction. Might I suggest posing this question in the transexual forum. Those who have transitioned can give you answers based on a broad range of experiences.

docrobbysherry
02-25-2018, 02:52 PM
What Kim said. Also remember political or religious discussions r not allowed here!:thumbsdn:

Krisi
03-01-2018, 10:17 AM
"Talked to a lady recently who has had real trauma in finding a job."

In my area, "jobs" are not hard to find. Businesses have "Now Hiring" signs in their windows. Perhaps these aren't the jobs your friend would like to have but they are "jobs" and they do pay money.

I agree with a few suggestions here that if you are trying to find out if transsexuals have problems finding jobs, you should probably ask in the transsexual forum.

Micki_Finn
03-01-2018, 11:04 AM
Legal protections for gender identity actually vary quite a bit from state to state. Some states make it illegal for anyone to discriminate. Others only protect people in regards to housing and not employment. Others only protect employment in government jobs but allow private employers to discriminate. Understanding your local laws and how they affect you is extremely important if you plan to transition.

Tracii G
03-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Kind of a sexist question in the first place.

Cassandra Lynn
03-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Not really on topic, but I have to agree with what Micki has shared.
My home state here is one of the worst when it comes to protections and discrimination. There has been effort by LGBT groups and supportive legislators for many years now to fix this, but it gets absolutely nowhere.
The drive has been called "Add the Words", as in add the words will not discriminate based on 'sexual orientation or gender presentation' to the established states bill of rights.
The idiots who shoot it down year after year are even quite vocal in saying it's not wanted.

A local friend I had met here years ago, eventually began transitioning and was assaulted outside her apartment building by another tenet; the police and rental association turned their back on her and she had to move.

On the bright side there are some very prominent and large corporations out there in the world that are very pro-rights, if one is lucky enough to have those skill sets.

Abbyru1
03-01-2018, 11:47 AM
My quest was only to find if anyone has had issues regarding finding employment. Not trying to pursue any direction other than curiosity. By example: a person who has spent an entire life working as a mechanic but no longer finds that area as fulfilling and needs to be something else more feminine but not due to discrimination or any other issue. I appreciate your concerns and was not attempting to fire up storm. I have no desire to transition.

Jaylyn
03-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Abbyru I think you asked a very good question. I can see your side if the job you had before was a muscle type stay in the cold and sun heat work type job and then you go totally female I would think it would be tougher in heels and dress to work outside wearing a bra and under garments but I've seen GG that can do anything a GM can when it comes to working cattle, working in the oil field, and even construction workers. I suppose it would be depending on if you obtained the same mind set, muscles, and work ethics after you transitition or even just CD in the work place.

SometimesJen
03-01-2018, 02:54 PM
I think any difficulty finding work after transition would depend on the company, location, and skillset. There may also be some challenges depending on how masculine or feminine the transperson appears.

I once worked in a predominately male low-end tech job at a very large corporation. The job only required a high school diploma and the ability to read & write English and perform basic computer functions. The company had an explicit policy prohibiting discrimation based on, among other things, sexual orientation. (I know, not the same, but it speaks toward their inclusion policy.) I thought management followed the written policy until one day 8-10 of us were sitting around just talking and our manager came over to tell us about a person he had just interviewed. He told us she had just transitioned, looked like a linebacker in a dress, and there was no way he'd hire such an abomination, regardless of her skills or experience. Almost the whole team broke out laughing and agreeing. One of the two women on a nearby team who had been there for years noticed I didn't laugh. She caught me later after work and asked why. I told her I didn't think it was appropriate, that they should look for the best candidate for the job regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual preference, or gender. She agreed, then told me she was trans and was deeply offended by the whole exchange. The next day she went to HR and "anonymously" reported it. When she came in the following day, she was called into the office and told her performance was sub-standard and she was being let go, despite having just received a commendation from her own manager.

I know another, very attractive, lady who was a doctor in a southern hospital. Shortly after she started transition her reviews plummeted and she was dismissed. She's since finished her transition and found a position with a different hospital. She's open about her change and freely discussed it with the new administration before they chose to hire her.

So, it depends.

Jenny22
03-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Sometimes Jen, it sounds like a law suit brewing, if the company violated any state laws.

SometimesJen
03-02-2018, 10:46 AM
The doctor did file suit and reached a settlement. The other lady didn't have the resources to get legal help so she had to find another job. On the other hand, I also know a trans man who is doing quite well as a radiologist, with zero work related issues that I know of.

I'd say the outcome depends on a lot of things: the person's performance & attitude, employer's policies, local & state laws, management & coworker's attitudes, possibly client's attitudes. If any of these lead to a negative outcome for the company, the trans person could end up looking for employment elsewhere, but if the stars all align the outcome could be wonderful.