PDA

View Full Version : Medical Relief

LeaP
03-22-2018, 09:05 PM
I have a new Primary Care Physician! As much as I love my last doctor, who is trans herself, I can’t sustain traveling halfway across the continent to see her, which is exactly what I’ve done for the last 4 years.

My HRT regimen is stable and my general health is OK, so I decided not to try finding another trans doctor (a tall order anyway), or even one who is particularly trans-knowledgeable. Accepting would have to do, and I didn’t pre-screen for it, either. I did focus on female physicians, however, and I was prepared to educate a new PCP if needed. That may sound arrogant, but I really do think that there’s more knowledge of trans medicine in the trans community than in the medical community.

So I read CV’s, made calls to determine who was taking new patients, made a selection, scheduled, and held my breath. My first appointment was today.

Jackpot! She’s both accepting and (minimally, anyway) trans-knowledgeable, having had a few trans patients in the past. She spent at least an hour with me, giving me one of the most thorough physicals I’ve ever had. Professional, competent, and personable to boot.

What a relief. I half expected disdain, if not a curt dismissal. Rather, she likes the medical challenge of it all! I can’t adequately convey how good I feel and how relieved I am. May your experience be as good.

Rianna Humble
03-23-2018, 12:53 AM
Well done LeaP, your homework paid off. Sounds like you have found a PCP to keep

MarieTS
03-23-2018, 01:04 AM
Leap, what absolutely great news. I totally understand the anxiety that goes into the process of finding the right doctor! I am so relieved for you. It is so wonderful she is a fun communicator. Lucky you, you hit the medical jackpot. Go out and buy some lottery tickets while you are so far ahead ��

LeaP
03-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Funny you should say “fun communicator,” as it characterizes her very well. At one point I said medicine was interesting. She immediately replied that PATIENTS are interesting.

Thanks, Rianna, as you know, in the American medical system you’re on your own to find what you’re looking for. I’ve read a lot of bad experiences and doctor reactions to new trans patients. I feel fortunate.