PDA

View Full Version : Face ID

Allison2006
04-05-2018, 01:02 PM
I was fully dressed with makeup and wig and everything for the first time in ages last night. On a couple of occasions I picked up my iPhone X which has Face ID and it recognized me and unlocked my phone in spite of the wig and makeup. Just curious as to whether or not anyone else has any experience with Face ID or something similar and if it recognized you en femme or not?

Iris Tse
04-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Hi Allison, I too have an iPhone X. My experience is that it does on occasion recognize me while fully made up with my wig. I’d say less than 1 out of every 4 attempts though. I think it’s my false eyelashes (thick and long) that make me unrecognizable when scanned, since they alter the 3D characteristics of my face. Without my lashes, it recognizes me 100% of the time.

CONSUELO
04-05-2018, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure how face ID works but it cannot be on length or volume of hair for example as that is a temporal and cosmetic variation. Shape of face, spacing of eyes and other invariable aspects of your visage must be the trigger and a wig and makeup do not affect those parameters.

Robertacd
04-05-2018, 01:58 PM
A wig and makeup do not change the shape of your facial features like your nose, lips, eyes, cheek bones etc...

If it did how would GG's ever be able to use any facial recognition feature without having to have the exact hair and makeup every time?

Gillian Gigs
04-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Biometrics in facial recognition are based on the area between the eye brows, the mouth, the upper cheek bones and the nose area. Make up and wig should have little to no bearing on how a face is recognized. So, in theory, you could be in either guy mode, or dressed to in nines, and the phone, border security, or anything else should recognize you. This is why drivers licences and passports are to be taken without prescription lenses, so they don't interfere with the biometrics.

Ceera
04-05-2018, 11:41 PM
Yep, the iPhone X’s Face ID is not fooled at all by wigs, makeup, glasses, hats... I have that phone, and had been a bit worried how it would work while I am en-femme. It knew me just fine. Contouring in makeup can fool the eye, but not their infrared 3D mapping system. It maps your facial structure in 3D, with over 3,000 reference points. That is how it knows you are you. Won’t be fooled by a photograph either. Tge default settings also require your eyes to be open, and looking at the phone, so no one can fool it by putting your phone in front of your face while you are asleep.

Tracii G
04-05-2018, 11:43 PM
You know that its recording your pic and sending to some data base.
At least thats what a closet dresser told me on Face book.

Ceera
04-06-2018, 01:40 AM
Tracii, that is not true, according to Apple. They state quite clearly that the biometric data that identifies your face remains solely in your iPhone X, in an encrypted format.

Allison2006
04-06-2018, 04:22 AM
It maps your facial structure in 3D, with over 3,000 reference points.
I had heard something like this about biometrics. But I work in healthcare and occasionally have to wear masks into patients' rooms - for example, when they have the flu - and the Face ID doesn't recognize me on those occasions. I would think that there would still be enough reference points left showing to ID me but apparently not. Thanks to all for the replies!

Lindabrown
04-07-2018, 01:35 AM
Face I'd measures these standard points on your face.
Anthropometry

Tracii G
04-07-2018, 02:15 AM
Tracii, that is not true, according to Apple. They state quite clearly that the biometric data that identifies your face remains solely in your iPhone X, in an encrypted format.

I was kidding Ceera LOLOL

Rachelish
04-07-2018, 02:20 AM
I don't have an iPhone but use Windows Hello on my PC and it has yet to recognise Rachel. I take that as a compliment :)

alwayshave
04-07-2018, 05:29 AM
When I have on fake nails my fingerprint reader on my Samsung works just fine.