PDA

View Full Version : Is it the look...or the feel?

MysteryWoman
04-07-2018, 07:36 PM
I'm retired, so I need to occasionally find complex issues to keep my mind active. Recently I decided to spend some time on the following question: Is it the look or the feel of my feminine attire that keeps me intrigued with my little hobby? Of course, the simple answer is that it's both, but as I said, I need to make it more complicated. If this all sounds too anal for you, I suggest you stop reading now and move on to something you find more worth your time.

For those who hang around, here are my thoughts:

To me it varies by component of the wardrobe.

Stockings: I only wear old-fashioned, 100% nylon stockings with a garter belt. I love the feel, especially when I cross my legs and they make that little scrunchy sound that only real nylons make; but I also love the look of bright light reflecting off my glossy legs, and the glimpse of stocking tops when my dress rides up. So for stockings, it's Look:Feel = 50:50.

Panties: I only wear nylon panties, and it's all about the feel. Look:Feel = 0:100.

Bras: I wear mostly long-line bras, and I love the feel of how they caress my torso, and the pressure of the straps on my shoulders; but without them, I have no girlish figure, so the look definitely comes into play. I'd say it's Look:Feel = 40:60.

Dresses: The dress is what completes my image, so it's definitely about the look; but I also enjoy the feel of the skirt rustling against my legs. I'll go Look:Feel = 90:10.

Makeup/Wigs/Jewelry: Obviously the look dominates, but I do like the feel of hair nestling on my shoulders, and for some reason, the feel of clip-on earrings pulling on my ear lobes. I'll go Look:Feel = 85:15 (how's that for splitting hairs?)

Shoes: Definitely about the look. I wear mainly glittery, mid-heel, strappy sandals, which I find very comfortable. Higher heels make my legs look better, but I pay the price for wearing them in the form of sore calves. Look:Feel = 100:00

Well, that's enough analysis. I'm going to get all dolled up now and test my hypotheses.

GracieRose
04-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Both :o

Sami Brown
04-07-2018, 09:31 PM
I like the looks and styles, but I love the feel!

Sami

Alice_2014_B
04-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Both, but more of the look I guess, I can be vain at times, LOL.
:)

phili
04-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Hi Mystery Woman,
Its a valid question and an easy way to articulate what we like most about our clothes. I see you have answered your own question as "both, usually"!

There are two for which you gave a value of zero. But- Hmmm- since you do feel heels, and see panties, they can't be zero. Perhaps heels are a negative number for you in feel?

And these two items are not measured in the same time interval- we feel all the time but see intermittently. We see panties in the drawer, and in the mirror when we put them on, and then in our mind's eye, in memory or anticipation,if we want. There are times I can't feel my underwear with any clarity, and I look to see!

I'll vote for 'both, in varying intensities and in different proportions at different times.

Jaymees22
04-07-2018, 10:10 PM
I think overall, looks 75%, feel 25% = 100% feeling and looking good.

Teresa
04-08-2018, 04:34 AM
MysteryWoman,
It's a whole package that goes together to give hopefully a reasonable impression of a woman.

The feel of the underwear does wear off , after a time what you wear underneath serves a more practical purpose , depending on the outer clothes you wish to wear. I prefer stocking because I find they are more practical for a CDer, going to the bathroom etc. , also find tucking easier . The bra has to be chosen depending on the cut and exposure the dress or top offers , longline won't work under certain clothes. Shoes have to be chosen to team up with the outfit , heels are great but can only be worn in certain circumstances .

I assume you dress at home to satisfy what you call your hobby , it sounds like it's very sexually orientated , going out is a different ball game , OK for a social meeting going OTT or maybe tarty/sexy is aceptable but not the thing for doing the supermarket shopping .

I know what you're suggesting and I guess most of us have been there and there's no harm in it , I enjoy those elements sometimes but it's when you put it all together and hope it all stays together when you step outside the front door .

KelleyB
04-08-2018, 05:11 AM
Definitely both.

I don't wear panties, but instead, layer half slips. This is a 90:10 feel/look, because I like for them to show, occasionally, but slips are what first got me into crossdressing.

Bra is 50:50. I love the look, but it's the feel of being filled out, and I love to caress the cups through my blouse or dress.

Skirt/blouse or dress, again, 50:50. I shop by both look and feel. I want satin or silk, preferably light colors, but beyond the feel, I love to look in the mirror to see how feminine clothes look on me.

LaurenS
04-08-2018, 06:14 AM
I like the way your analysis is going. Most often, I just dress for convenience, so it is mostly feel. But, sometimes, it’s all the way, so it’s about look, as in how close I can get to passing, or at least look well put together.

Shely
04-08-2018, 06:31 AM
I think i saw this thread a while back, But. I also would like to interject several other items. Color, Designs, and Style are things that affect me, and while I guess they are part of the "look" they are real triggers in my book. But the combination of look and feel, when combined really do the trick. It's hard to explain the overall effect on a CD'r when all the variables reach 9 (Feels like WOW). :2c:

Connie D50
04-08-2018, 07:40 AM
It is the look that makes me feel :)

NicoleScott
04-08-2018, 08:16 AM
On my "what I like about crossdressing" pie chart, the tactile sensations, aromas, sounds, and even the discomforts (wig, shapewear, high heels, etc.) amount to a sliver, maybe 5%. The look, seeing myself in the mirror, is the other 95%.

Krea
04-08-2018, 08:49 AM
I want clothes that look good on me (or so i think :haha:) and if they happen to be available in nice soft silky materials then that's a huge bonus. :yippee:

dana digs sweaters
04-08-2018, 09:07 AM
It's the feel of the look :heehee:

bridget thronton
04-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Both - I find dresses very comfortable to wear and I love the look oh heels

Dana44
04-08-2018, 10:13 AM
It is both for me.

Beverley Sims
04-08-2018, 10:59 AM
I think it is both.

DIANEF
04-08-2018, 11:04 AM
On my "what I like about crossdressing" pie chart, the tactile sensations, aromas, sounds, and even the discomforts (wig, shapewear, high heels, etc.) amount to a sliver, maybe 5%. The look, seeing myself in the mirror, is the other 95%.

Same with me, the look is all important, anything that 'feels' good is just a bonus.

Asew
04-08-2018, 11:06 AM
For me it is mainly feel. I can dress and only look in the mirror a few times :)

Surprised many of you are saying heels are mainly for looks. For me heels are only like 30% looks. Having my foot in a high heel position just makes me feel so feminine (so sometimes when barefoot in a skirt I will walk daintily on my tippy toes).

candice.aihara
04-08-2018, 12:22 PM
For me it's absolutely the look. The female form can be summarised in so many complementary ways to elevate the appeal of femininity. Each swell, curve, and line can make such an arresting figure. I love it!!

Jenny22
04-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Except for full makeup and wig ('cause I'm almost always at home), I fully dress every morning. In times past, feel was very important.... not so much now, maybe 10%. Looks at 90%.

sometimes_miss
04-08-2018, 04:47 PM
It's both, and more. I add scent to the package, with some perfume (often something one of my previous girlfriends wore). Though it's becoming harder and harder to find old Avon 'Occur' since it's been out of production for so long. That memory dates back to 1975 for me, but oh, what memories they are!
I need both the visual and tactile feedback telling me that I'm female.

Linda Stockings
04-09-2018, 11:56 AM
It's definitely both for me too, and sometimes the ratios are different. I love the looks of a well fitted skirt, dress, skirt suit, etc., but I also love the feel of the nylon lining on my legs, especially with stockings. I love the looks of my heels, and the feel...until my toes feel like someone has them in vise grip plyers and is trying to twist them off. Then I can't feel pretty or look pretty as I hobble miserably. But when I first put them on ��

Elizabeth G
04-09-2018, 01:49 PM
For me it's predominantly look. My goal is to present, to the best of my ability, a female image. While I do enjoy many aspects of how things feel I really enjoy looking like, and being perceived as, female. If I had to put numbers to it I would say 80% look and 20% feel.

MelanieAnne
04-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Unless I'm going out, it's the feel and partly the looks, at least from the waist down. If I'm not going out and doing the whole makeup and wig thing, less is best. Around the house , it's mid heel sandals with an ankle strap, thong and a short dress about mid thigh. That's it. The feel of being shaved head to toe, and wearing only a short smooth, rayon or polyester dress, and perfume is mind blowing. I don't get much done anymore, because I can't stand to put on my guy clothes to go outside and do some yardwork.

Mickitv
04-09-2018, 02:36 PM
I love the feel of almost everything feminine but looking lovely is also a very important factor to me.

Scarlett398
04-09-2018, 04:51 PM
The look is at 80% and the feel is at 20%, however, when I am first getting my girl on and I feel the tights or thigh highs against my legs, the stretch lace panties either in thongs or hipsters or higher on the hips, and putting on the bra with the silicone breasts helps almost reverse those two numbers noted above. Then, after fully Scarletted up, then the look goes back to 80% or higher and I keep my photos posted on my computer and look at them at regular intervals.

I used to be concerned about that gorgeous redheaded wife finding all these photos but not any longer thank God! She has seen many of my Scarlett photos and is actually impressed how I can make such a drastic transition from a handsome guy to a cute, sexy, classy girl. She has noted that my style is almost identical to hers. Probably because I've helped her pick out almost 90% of her skirts, tops, dresses, shoes, jewelry, and accessories (especially purses which we usually by at TJ Maxx). She really won't go shopping for these things without me because she really trusts my sense of style and she gets a ton of compliments at work or at other places she does meetings or training sessions at.

Now that she lets me store all my Scarlett stuff at our new dream home and the subject of buying skirts or panties come up more often, I don't ever have to worry about losing my wife over my thrill of cross dressing. I just have to do it while she's not around which is just fine with me....XOXOXO Scarlett

Sandra_Dodds
04-09-2018, 05:22 PM
I "see" where you're coming from and "feel" the same way! :battingeyelashes:

For me, tights and pantyhose are about 60:40 in terms of look vs feel. I keep accumulating more and more pairs because there are so many different colors, shades, textures, and deniers etc, but then I also adore that feeling as they encase my legs.

Lana Mae
04-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Both! Hugs Lana Mae

t-girlxsophie
04-09-2018, 05:53 PM
I would say both,depending on what I'm wearing.overwhelmingly it's the look.But also I love the range of colours available,guys stuff is just staid and boring and I love the feel esp of Angora,fluffy knits.

Cassandra Lynn
04-09-2018, 07:23 PM
I'm retired, so I need to occasionally find complex issues to keep my mind active. Recently I decided to spend some time on the following question: Is it the look or the feel of my feminine attire that keeps me intrigued with my little hobby? Of course, the simple answer is that it's both, but as I said, I need to make it more complicated.
Ask and ye shall receive:

One thing I have always noticed when the subject of dressing in general comes up, as it so often does, is that the complexities of it all usually gets little talk.

Now, I see that you did in fact, give mention to wigs, make-up and accessories, so I won't beat you up too bad. :) (usually this talk centers on the articles worn).

But, what about the ritual? The build up, the thinking ahead to the outfit or outfits one might want to wear. Is there preparation involved? Maybe a long bath and body shave? (yeah yeah, I know........hair removal sucks).
Has one spent some time taking care of tasks so as to make the dress up a completely stress free experience. Do you take the time to enjoy it or do you rush into it?

There are things I genuinely enjoy that have little to do with the dressing; I do a pluck patrol each day.....got to keep them little bastage hairs from creeping into my carefully shaped and tweezed brow line.
I totally love the ritual that is applying make-up, I must because I will do my face even tho the hours left in the day are few, and i'm only going to my usual nightly meeting and seeing the same ol folks.

Through out the day I find myself playing with my earrings (actual piercings, 2 in each ear), rolling them if they are hoops, twisting them if they are studs. It's relaxing and confirming.

I do confess that the tactile feel of nylon and micro-fiber underwear is important. I love my camisoles, until it gets hot out.

And oh....what of perfume??? hmmm?? The gift that keeps on giving.

I must add though, I live in the binary; my presentation is a part of me each day (I may go without make-up one day a week if something comes up), and my daily wear is simple pants and tops, but it's the little things for some of us.
Even the little things, when a part of you each day, that brings peace.

So to be totally honest.....for me the look and feel are really not such a big deal; but at the same time, if I go more than a couple days without being the me I am today, I get some mid-level dysphoria happening and that's no fun at all.

I sincerely hope I have totally complicated things for you and am driving you nutty........it's what friends are for. :o

Cass

MysteryWoman
04-10-2018, 07:39 AM
Good job driving me nutty! Thanks!

emma30
04-10-2018, 12:48 PM
I love both too, feel and look but with panties its definately looks and i think its because i hate male underwear that much i need a fix of real fem when it comes to intimate areas. Knowing i am wearing real feminine lingerie that can never be masculine far outways the texture. Also theres no panties i have that dont feel nice to wear.

Alice B
04-10-2018, 12:55 PM
You described it. I agree

sperow2003
04-10-2018, 01:23 PM
For me the feel is definitely more important than the look. As i don't pass or attempt to go out i am only seen by my wife who luckily for me is fully supportive. Being a tactile sort of person i think that goes a long way towards my preference for the more tactile fabrics such as silk and satin. Cotton does very little for me regardless of the garment. I do dress in the normal everyday type of clothing such as skirts, blouses and dresses and i do have preferences for all of those such as tight skirts, pussy bow and back button blouses so i suppose the look does have a particular importance for all of those. I also prefer super glossy hold up stockings so i suppose look and feel are of equal importance for them. I do love to accessorize with colourful silk headscarves worn in a variety of ways, again look and feel being about equal. Apologies for rambling on; just thought i would chip in.

Anna Stouf
04-10-2018, 01:58 PM
In the beginning, of course, it was about the feel. As I tried different things on for the first time, I marveled at how wonderful they felt.

As I became a full on cross dresser, circa 1974, it became more about the look. I was young then and it was possible for me to look pretty good. I wish I had some pictures. But back then we didn’t have digital cameras, or computers, and the internet had not even been thought of.

Now, at this advanced age, it’s not about how I look since I don’t go out dressed anymore because I know I look really scary.

The clothing still feels wonderful, but that’s not the main thing either.

The main, and most important thing now when I’m dressed enfemme, is how it makes ME feel.

Lorna
04-15-2018, 05:56 AM
Its's mainly how the clothes feel - not least because the "look" as seen in the mirror is never a good one. However, just odd glimpses of bits of me are pleasurable for the look. An example of this is when I look down and see the protrusion of the breasts and the flare of the skirt. Another, when sitting wearing a shorter skirt, is the sight of nylon-clad knees and feet in heel-and-ankle-strap shoes. These for me are just exciting cameos of what a woman would see - and enjoy - about her clothing and appearance.

Ally 2112
04-21-2018, 10:24 PM
For me it is a little of both i want to look like a women as much as i can when in the mood and have always liked the feel of what i am wearing .That's why i do this

Stephanie Julianna
04-21-2018, 10:29 PM
It's the look definitely and the feel of female clothes and the fabrics that makes it all wonderful. The total look is the goal. If there is acceptance out in the world while dressed that is the icing on the cake.

Lacey New
04-22-2018, 04:08 AM
It is both but it is not one without the other. I absolutely love the feel of silky nylon sliding on silky nylon. But I could recreate that by wearing a man's lined bating suit under a pair of nylon quick dry fishing pants yet it would not have the same effect. So for me, the look, the fit and the feel of what is intended to be exclusively women's clothing is what does it. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Veronica Lacey
04-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Some great responses on this one.

I am believing that is is largely the look for me but that how the attire and outfits feel can never be ignored.

I prefer primarily satins, nylon, some silk and prefer suspender belts and stockings over panty hose. I love feeling the materials on my skin and taking in the subtle sound of stockings rubbing and not-so-subtle sounds of heels clicking as I walk. How the bra constricts my "breasts" presents a somewhat comforting sensation to me yet looking down at the more feminine colours, patterns and styles brings joy and a quiet smile to my heart.

If I were given the same attire in male styles - no dresses, heels, stockings but just shirts and trousers - I don't believe that it would be as satisfying if at all. It is a hybrid of emulating the feminine upon my own masculine body and the materials in said form that supports further exploration and enjoyment.

To generally sum up mathematically:
Look:Feel = 85:15

stephenie3756
04-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Sandra_Dodds - I agree with nylons. I love the look and feel. there are so many colors, shades, styles, textures, etc....I love the way they look on my legs and wish more women would wear them. Nothing like a pair of nylons with a sexy pair of stilletos

Rayleen
04-22-2018, 06:53 PM
The looks and mostly the feel. Earrings caressing my neck, bra holding the breast tight and looks for the cleavage.

Crossing of the legs is the feel of nylon rubbing feels sweet. heels feminising my posture .:hugs:

Lacy PJs
04-30-2018, 08:12 PM
I don't look all that good in fem clothing & accessories so I'd have to say about 85-15 towards the feel. But I also have feelings other than the physical ones so there's an extra component to "feel."

Lacy PJs

Rollermiss
05-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Both for me, defiantly. Like the OP I only wear stockings and garters. I do have one pair of panty hose, it goes with my Hooters girl outfit.

Kelsey

BrendaPDX
05-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Early on it was the feel, then it changed to the look, then they eventually both balanced. But nothing like getting all dolled up and stepping in front of the mirror. WOW is that me???