PDA

View Full Version : I'm nervous about the new makeup I purchased

Adrienne Heels
03-16-2006, 10:09 PM
When I went out Monday night and had my makeup done, I bought everything the makeup artist used on me. Now I'm suffering from either buyer's remorse or nerves making me wonder if I should return all this stuff. I know it's stupid to feel this way, especially because if you think about it, the makeup is the most important part of your look. If the face looks right, you'll look right. I called my stylist Tuesday to tell her I got my makeup and set up an appointment to learn exactly how to use it and she was very happy. And I know when I tell my friend at the consignment shop, she will say that it is wonderful too.

But it was quite a bit of money to spend, although when you remove the makeup brushes and makeup remover from the equation, it reallly wasn't that bad....

I really liked the way I looked when I saw myself in the mirror, and I know I won't be able to duplicate that with drugstore cosmetics without a lot of experimentation, which may mean spending even more money that I spent on Clinique, which my stylist recommended I buy.

How about a little support, ladies? I guess I just need to justify this in my own mind. Any of you ever have a problem like this?

Thanks in advance,

Karyn

Barb Valentine
03-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Did you look good ? did you feel good ? if the answer is yes
then keep it and enjoy yourself, besides it's only money
you deserver it

JeanneF
03-16-2006, 10:18 PM
It was money well spent. I'm on a first name basis with the girls at the local MAC counter. Like you said, the makeup is the most important part. If the face looks right, the rest of you will as well. Remember, the brushes were a one time expense. The only problem is that once you start using the good stuff, it's hard to go back to the drugstore brands. ;)

kathy gg
03-16-2006, 10:20 PM
HI, if you spent over $300 you might have been "talked" into buying things you dont' need....but if you spent under $300 for the works.....umm I think you got away really lucky!

TracyDeluxe
03-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I'd say it's "buyer's remorse", and that after you have used it a few times, and like the look, that will go away. Enjoy!

Rachel Morley
03-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi Karyn,

IMHO hair and make-up are THE most important things in helping a person to look less like a man in girly clothes. Obviously, what you wear and the way you carry yourself, count a lot but to me, make up (especially how it's applied) is very important for "close ups of the en femme kind" in public.

I wouldn't regret anything if I were you....and in any case....like they say in the TV ads..."you're worth it!". :)

Adrienne Heels
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for your support, ladies....I did spend less than $300.....I am gonna keep it. You are all very right in your responses. But I was so nervous, I ran out to grab a snack.....must be my femme side kicking in.

Help like this is why this forum is such a good place!!

Kisses,

Karyn

Melinda G
03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't think makeup is returnable.

Kimberley
03-16-2006, 11:15 PM
My recommendation is go to your drugstore and buy a makeup kit for a whole lot less money than the counter or artist will charge. I bought one for my photo biz that after adding a few things like mascara (3) and foundation (3) and concealer, the total of the bill was only $100 CDN. It will do pretty much any makeup job. It comes with a full set of brushes, pencils, shadows, lipsticks in both warm and cool colours. Other than that add tweezers and an eyelash curler and it is pretty much complete. Nails are the only thing left.

Kimberley

kathy gg
03-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi Melinda

Most places will as long as you have a reciept and a good reason {foundation made me break out, causes reddiness, ect ect.}. I have returned stuff from dept stores and from drugstores both. I mean, obviously you can't have gone through half a batch and with lipsticks/liners/ that will be very hard to do. But things like mascara/foundatio/powder/and even moisturizers ect I have had no trouble returning....but I am a gg...I am not sure if a guy returning would have an easy of a time....? Not that I don't think you should have a problem. But I am not sure if the clerks will be as easy going knowing a guy has bought stuff.

I don't think makeup is returnable.

Julie Avery
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Long as no one who depends on you is going without something more necessary, I'd kick back and enjoy! There's a lot to be said for keeping an even keel rather than going back and forth with the CD stuff. Maybe it's kinda like the thing behaviorists said about happiness and smiling - maybe smiling makes you happy, rather than happiness making you smile. Maybe keeping on an even keel leads to self-acceptance as a CD, rather than self-acceptance enabling you to keep an even keel. Hope yer lookin pretty in your new makeup :)

Jodi
03-17-2006, 09:50 PM
I learned a long time ago--"you get what you pay for". For femme items, that especially goes for makeup, hair, and hose. There is a major difference between the higher end makeup and discount store brands. As LisaCincy stated. Once you use the good stuff, it is tough to go back.

Jodi

kittypw GG
03-18-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't think that you should feel guilty as long as it is in your budget and you are not taking away from something more important or necessary. Clinique is a very good brand and worth buying. The initial cost seems like a lot but you will not run out of everything all at once so replacement items will be less traumatic to your budget. kitty

Adrienne Heels
03-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone....I really appreciate the support you gave me on this!!

I can't wait to use the new makeup !!!

BethGG
03-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I learned a long time ago--"you get what you pay for". For femme items, that especially goes for makeup, hair, and hose. There is a major difference between the higher end makeup and discount store brands. As LisaCincy stated. Once you use the good stuff, it is tough to go back.

Jodi
I disagree, I just bought some NYC makeup(the cheapy stuff) and I love it so much more then my Clinique stuff! However, to the origional poster- I don't think you should return it since you're new to makeup. What you could do is use the makeup until things run out, then maybe start experimenting with other brands if you wish, and by then you'll be better at knowing makeup. But if you like it fine then hey, may as well stick with it.

I don't know if you all heard of this book, but I highly recommend the book "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" by Paula Begoun, she rates all the makeup/skin care stuff out there, saying what's good and what's not good! A lot of what she says is very true. The only thing that may be different for CDs/TGs is how she rates foundation, Tgirl74's foundation got rated poorly because it was "too thick", but for someone trying to cover their beard line, it works well.