PDA

View Full Version : Some groceries and some gas!

Lana Mae
06-18-2018, 03:27 PM
I got dressed early for my counseling session and went to the store and picked up a few odds and ends! There about 10' to 12' away was the the woman who asked if I was one of those "transgenders"! She looked right at me and there was no recognition! I turned down an aisle anyway! I was going to the checkouts and there she was again! I walked to the far checkout to avoid her! I was paying for my purchases and noticed a man in his late 40's or early 50's staring at me with a grin on his face! No emotional indication just a grin! Oh, well, whatever! I just walked out from there! I then went and got gas and went home for a half hour until it was time for my counseling session! It went well and cleared up a few issues! Hugs Lana Mae

BLUE ORCHID
06-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Hi Lana Mae :hugs:, Like the old line, Curiosity killed the cat,

Like Lisa, Just keep then guessing. >Orchid...:daydreaming:...

Jaylyn
06-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Lana you don't have to explain anything to them. Be polite and do what you do. Glad your counselor cleared up a few things for you...

Allisa
06-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Lana all part of being out in public. I like to politely ask what they said to see if they are serious to learn or being sarcastic in which case I go about my way and chalk it up to ignorance. It does put me on alert while there and turns on my spidy sense. I can tell you've grown into a comfort level of being out and about.

Teresa
06-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Lana,
Maybe it's time to start educating the public, you're seeing a counsellor to deal with these issues , it would have been an ideal opportunity to take the lady to one side and explain what it actually means . As for the guy I would have smiled back and perhaps made a quip about it not being contagious !

I'm glad that your counselling is going well , I hope you are finding some answers now .

Maria 60
06-18-2018, 05:43 PM
I know it's not fair that we have to avoid people and obsorbe the stairing but I believe you did the best thing and acted normal. You showed amazing control.

Lana Mae
06-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Orchid: They will have to keep guessing as I am not going to tell them unless they ask! LOL
Jaylyn: I will be polite! Yes it was a good session!
Allisa: Neither said anything in the store so I said nothing to them! Yes, I am allowed to be out and about and plan to enjoy it regardless!
Teresa: She is 84 years old and likely set in her ways! He was out of conversation range! Did not want to yell and really had nothing to say to him! LOL
Maria: I generally avoid conflict when I can! If I have to, I can scrap with the best of them!
Thanks ladies for your responses!
Hugs Lana Mae

Rayleen
06-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Lana, you kept your cool and ignored them, you do not need to give any explanation.

Glad your session went well and just be yourself, your gaining confidence .

Take care Lana.

Teresa
06-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Lana,
My mother is 89 and is still has all her marbles , in fact she still has two jobs !

Beverley Sims
06-18-2018, 10:50 PM
Lana these are everyday battles we have to contend with.

Rachelakld
06-19-2018, 04:27 AM
yep, each situation has it's own "best" response
10-12 feet away I probably wouldn't have responded either, she would probably have to be within 6 feet before I bother trying to educate anyone.
As to guys grinning at me, I just smile back

Weekend before last I heard an old man muttering "now I've seen everything" While I was tempted to ask if he had ever seen his mates legs blown off by an IED, but I just politely ignored him

Majella St Gerard
06-19-2018, 04:29 AM
as you well know, some people were not raised properly to use manners.

Lana Mae
06-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Rayleen: Yes, I am gaining confidence! I guess therapy works, huh?
Teresa: I work with the elderly and believe me there are some in their 50's who have lost it already and those in their 90's who are totally with it and down to earth!
Beverly: I know but I am just getting in the deeper end slowly!
Rachel: I think you chose the better option! Some people refuse to be educated!
Majella: Yes, I am realizing this more and more!
Thanks for your responses ladies!
Hugs Lana Mae

Aunt Kelly
06-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Not recommending it, but I'd have engaged if it were socially appropriate. I definitely would not have changed checkout lanes. But that's just me. You, Lana Mae, appear to have handled it just fine the way you did. I don't get the hint that the outing was the least bit daunting. Well done

Lana Mae
06-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Aunt Kelly, not daunting in the least! Just me(as Lana Mae)doing normal needed tasks! Not quite old hat yet but relaxed and enjoyable!(for the most part) LOL Hugs Lana Mae