PDA

View Full Version : cd and different cultures!

sparks
03-17-2006, 03:31 PM
I was just wondering about cultures and CDing. Just wondering if it is tolerated more or less in different cultures, nations etc. For instance is it easier to be TG in America or in Japan!

Any input girls!

Julie Avery
03-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I'll bet it's easier in the USA and Europe than it is in Iran and Saudi Arabia, even though they run around in beards and dresses all the time ;)

sparks
03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
That's pretty cute Julie! Thanks. I also have a beard and a dress and it's not so easy for me in Canada!

Snookums
03-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Sparks,in native american culture,at one time,males who dressed female were highly regarded,they usually ended up being the medicine man.Also in the pacific islander culture,males dressing female were highly regarded,and were protected by their tribal laws.I'm half French and Cree indian,Metis,and I am proud of my heritage,and I'm proud to be able to communicate with all of you.

Butterfly Bill
03-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I haven't actually been to any of these places, but I would be reluctant to do it in any Islamic country, or in Mexico or any place south of there in the western hemisphere. (I've been in Mexico, and there I feel self-conscious even wearing bermuda shorts.)

I've been in Japan (40 years ago), and I'd do it in any large city. As I foreigner I could get away with some behavior that would not be as tolerated in a Nippon-jin. I'd put up with people thinking I'm gay.

Aynthem
03-18-2006, 12:43 AM
I read somewhere, wish I could find it, that one of the most supportive governments in the world for TGs is Iran.

Apparently, they are so anti-homosexual, they would rather someone transition to female, and live by the law that way.

It was a fairly recent article by a mainstream news organization, like CNN.com or something, however, I did a search and couldn't find it to quote.

linnea
03-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Sparks,in native american culture,at one time,males who dressed female were highly regarded,they usually ended up being the medicine man.Also in the pacific islander culture,males dressing female were highly regarded,and were protected by their tribal laws.I'm half French and Cree indian,Metis,and I am proud of my heritage,and I'm proud to be able to communicate with all of you.

Yes, I've read a little about this. The name that I've seen is "berdache." It is interesting to me that they don't crossdress in the sense that sometimes they dress in drab and other times femme. Instead at a certain point in their lives they change to femme and dress femme from then on until they die. Their cultures not only accept it but also encourage it in those who wish it.

Marlena Dahlstrom
03-18-2006, 01:28 AM
In general Indian and Asian cultures are more open to transgendered individuals -- although both have degrees of overt sexism as well. Both Hinduism and Buddhism teach that individuals have both male and female energies in them. And Hinduism has a number of instances of crossdressing and gender changing by various gods.

So while being transgendered isn't a walk in the park in either Indian and Asian cultures -- contrary to romanticization by Western trans folks -- but there's definitely a type of social acceptance that's greater than in the West.

Native American cultures had varying attitudes toward transgendered individuals in some they were given special status, often as shaman, but in others they were barely tolerated, and still others had a bit of an ambivalent attitude.

As far as Iran, it's true the religious leaders issued a fatwa supporting GRS. But as mentioned, it was less supportive of transgenders and more because it was seen as preferable to "homosexuality."

Melanie R
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
In 2002 my wife and I together with 30 other TG's and SO's spent 7 nights on a cruise in the Tahitian islands. Since the beginning of time in Tahiti TG's were seen by society as being "Godly". In the captial of Tahiti most of the population knew we were going to be in the islands. We had a grand time. We were treated as celebrities and given the red carpet treatment. Some of the TG's we met in Tahiti were some of the most beautiful women in the world. In recent years some of the fundamental religious groups have attempted to change the Tahitian view on transgendered persons but to date have not succeeded. Below is a picture of several in our group at Bali High - remember from the play and movie, SOuth Pacific.

Melanie

Melanie

sparks
03-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the replies girls! TahitI looks amazing and I never would ahve dreamed bout being treated as a celebrity while there! I started this thread while pondering about an article in a book about sexuality disorders! In it they stated "Transvestism" Exisited in some North American Indian tribes back before the west was won type of thing. It said that they lived with the single women. Sometimes the males would choose to be with them instead of the GG's of the tribe if only for a night!
Thanks again for all the responds!

unclejoann
03-18-2006, 04:06 PM
The book to read on berdache is "The Zuni Man-Woman" by Will Roscoe. It is fascinating, with a bonus if you like history and stories about anthropologists and their prejudices.

Bridget
03-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I haven't actually been to any of these places, but I would be reluctant to do it in any Islamic country, or in Mexico or any place south of there in the western hemisphere. (I've been in Mexico, and there I feel self-conscious even wearing bermuda shorts.)

I've been in Japan (40 years ago), and I'd do it in any large city. As I foreigner I could get away with some behavior that would not be as tolerated in a Nippon-jin. I'd put up with people thinking I'm gay.

Actually, as of recently in Japan there has been a growing trend of acceptance for the trans and gay community in Japan. A big television celebrity is called "Hard Gay" and he is loved by pretty much anyone because of his zany, and sometimes disturbing antics. There are also numerous convincing transgender and transexual stars in the limelight. A famous show Kinpachi Sensei featured a youn girl which was transgender and looked at her story with compassion and understanding.