PDA

View Full Version : Red Thoughts And Blue Thoughts

Asew
07-12-2018, 04:15 PM
My kid is in a minecraft group for kids with autism, and they try to teach them about social interactions. And the person who leads the group talked about red thoughts and blue thoughts. A red thought is a thought we have about others that makes us anxious, angry, sad or uncomfortable. And blue thoughts are thoughts we have about others that make us happy calm and comfortable. This is from a social thinking curriculum that also talks about expected and unexpected behaviors. As an example, the teacher got on the table and asked if this was an expected or unexpected behavior and how does it make you feel (red or blue).

It seems this teaches them to do things that are expected instead of unexpected. This way others don't have red thoughts about you. Which is ironic since they have a poster that says: Why fit in when you were born to stand out. I hope it means they also learn to understand their own red thoughts and better at dealing with them when the unexpected happens.

So typically crossdressing is unexpected, and can cause red thoughts in others. But as someone see your crossdressing over time it becomes less unexpected and causes less red thoughts. And when first going out dressed, we ourselves had red thoughts since we are worried about how others are going to perceive us. And with practice these red thoughts start to go away. I thought it was a nice idea on how to think about social interactions.

Laura912
07-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Most CDs probably have a barber pole of swirling red and blue thoughts interspersed with a bit of pink.

Helen_Highwater
07-13-2018, 04:13 AM
Asew,

I like the analogy. As often said, it's those fears in out heads that stops many stepping out the door. Overcoming those red thoughts is perhaps one if the greatest hurdles any of us ever face.

Realising that the vast majority of muggles tend to have a momentary red thought that passes in an instant as, after all, like the Spainish inquisition, no one expects to see a CD'er when out shopping. So that moment of the unexpected is quickly discarded and they move on.

So if you're contemplating going out, think blue thoughts.

phili
07-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a really useful program! Maybe an oppty to pose the question of gender behavior as well as other social things, what if someone speaks with an accent, or wears a strange outfit from another land?

Teresa
07-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Asew,
In that case I'm surrounded by an aura of blue that is until my wife comes on the scene then there is a huge red light flashing on top of her car !

I must admit it's a lovely way of teaching kids with autism , my granddaughter is mildy affected so I must ask my daughter if she has come across this idea , at least she sees grandpa with blue thoughts even when she's seen me dressed .

Stacy Darling
07-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if coloured so! I do like the idea of thinking positively as well, love it actually!

I'm a colour lover and brightly colouring my day is important to me, so I might use a thought instead of a colour! (it's Ok)
Stacy!

Yukihime
07-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a useful pedagogical tool to use with autistic children. They probably only use the two colours to keep from making things too complex. I think I'd like using pink instead of red, or maybe even the whole rainbow spectrum for different ranges of thoughts though!

IleneD
07-13-2018, 07:14 PM
I am a smear of purple.
When it comes to Unexpected, I have always been a walking contradiction. Long before I ever "came out" or started to proudly show my femme side, everyone who knew me all my life knew me as a strange mixed bag that often didn't add up.
I'm not surprised I 'grew up' to wear dresses. It's who I've always been too.

Red or blue?..... just make sure it comes with shoes.

Tracy Irving
07-13-2018, 09:03 PM
Different color choices would have been nice. Maybe something with less political connotations.