PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance at the birthday party

Sarah Doepner
07-16-2018, 09:56 AM
A trans-woman friend of mine had a party to celebrate turning 65. Her wife and family are all loving and supportive and because of her positive and fearless nature, she has been well accepted by her community, even though some of them are still struggling with pronouns and the basic nature of her transition. I was honored to get an invitation and was the only other trans person there. Their acceptance of her flowed over on to me and it was as nice a time as I've had in a very long time.

I discovered after several conversations that many of them assumed I was full time, maybe even in transition as well and even surprised one woman who thought my wig was my natural hair. So you can imagine what that did to my confidence. When asked either about myself or her situation I tried the best I could to be factual and it was so much easier since there was no judgment on the other side, just curiosity and a desire to know better how to show their respect.

To be honest the next day at home I cried, partly because I had been treated in such a respectful and normal way that I realized how much of that basic human interaction I've been missing over the last decade. I can't remember the last time I presented as female and got into a long conversation about something as basic as what things are so deep in my sweet tooth that they overcome my self control. Or when a woman told me that after menopause she had started growing hair on her face and had to shave and when I responded "me too" we shared a laugh.

I need to get out more.

Jenny22
07-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Sweet story, Sarah.

mykell
07-16-2018, 12:42 PM
that is what i like best about being out in the wild.... the normal banter mostly with women and answering the questions folks have about us and then seemingly getting IT....

BLUE ORCHID
07-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Hi Sarah :hugs:, It sounds like you are a great mentor for your friend. :daydreaming: >Orchid ..O:daydreaming:O.

Jaylyn
07-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Enjoyed reading your story and appreciate you sharing it Sarah

Lana Mae
07-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Very good for you! Nothing quite as good as acceptance! Hugs Lana Mae

docrobbysherry
07-16-2018, 10:28 PM
How wonderful and lucky u r to live so close to her, Sarah!:thumbsup:

Gardener
07-16-2018, 10:36 PM
Hugely touching, Sarah. Maybe a brilliant example of how our imagined fears can be so strong as to inhibit us. Much so in my case!

alwayshave
07-17-2018, 06:14 AM
Sarah, I'm glad that you were invited and were so well accepted.

Beverley Sims
07-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Getting out and talking to other women is great therapy.

-Elle-
07-17-2018, 08:42 AM
Inspiring story, thanks for sharing!

t-girlxsophie
07-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Such an uplifting story,It's people sharing awesome experiences like this that I love most about this site,so happy for you

Sophie

Teri Ray
07-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Great story Sarah. Thanks for sharing.

Rhonda Darling
07-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Sarah:

Great story. Even though it was not your birthday, it sounds like you got the gift of full acceptance. It must have been an amazing experience.

I trust the birthday girl had a happy birthday, too.

Rhonda