PDA

View Full Version : CD or TV ??

melyssadawn
07-29-2018, 02:50 AM
I know this site is named Crossdressers.com and not Tranny.com or such name but do the majority of you consider yourselves as Crossdressers or Trans??
The reason. I ask is when I go into Flickr or most photo sharing sites to look for ideas in clothing , make-up etc, it seems if you click on the person's bio , the majority called themselves" TV from Wales" or ." Out and about TV from UK" etc , while very few declare they are crossdressers. I know it's just a term we and others call ourselves but I was just wondering
XX Mel

Jane G
07-29-2018, 03:14 AM
I don't go on Flickr or FB or any of The other social forum sites. Nor do I really care what the norm is. I am who I am. What you talk of is simply peer pressure and lables.

Krea
07-29-2018, 03:20 AM
I don't worry about categories or labels. I am me. :cheer:
CD & TV are synonyms. Possibly the two terms vary in popularity in different parts of the world. Here TV is perhaps considered a more old-fashioned term than CD.
Ultimately we are all part of the wonderful TG spectrum. :)

Tamsin Secret
07-29-2018, 03:26 AM
This is just my opinion and how it works in my brain. It probably has no relevance to the actual defined meanings.

Crossdresser - hetro male (usually in relationship) that likes to wear and present in women's clothing.
TV - Single person who likes to wear and present in women's clothing and is also interested in a relationship with someone i.e has no SO.

But then that's just how I see it.

As soon as I wrote it I thought but what if (as I've labeled it) a TS finds someone and falls in love and gets married do they then change to a crossdresser....

Oh I don't know!!! I identify with crossdresser anyway for the record! Lol.

Helen_Highwater
07-29-2018, 03:49 AM
Mel,

A rose by any other name.........

biancabellelover
07-29-2018, 03:50 AM
I prefer Cross Dresser to Transvestite, but don’t get wrapped around the axles about it.

I believe that TV is more a prevalent term to CD in the U.K, but have little to base my opinion on.

Michelle.

Sami Brown
07-29-2018, 04:41 AM
I prefer crossdresser or the more general term, transgender. That's why I named my blog The Crossdresser Report.

Sami

Shelly Preston
07-29-2018, 04:57 AM
This is a source of many arguments.

People will give you all sorts of reasons why it should be one or the other.

Pick the label you are most happy with or even none at all.

I have found "Shelly" works great for me.

alwayshave
07-29-2018, 05:31 AM
I much prefer crossdresser. Transvestite conjures up negative impressions of crossdressers from my youth. However, how others define themselves does not bother me.

Teresa
07-29-2018, 05:48 AM
Mel,

Please accept it's the same thing assuming you are talking about the full term name transvestite and crossdresser . It translates from the Latin , trans = to cross, vestite = clothes/garb . So we get to cross clothes/dress , sometimes you'll see dictionaries describe it as to wear clothes of the opposite sex/gender . The simple translation does not have any sexual connotation , all that has been added by media misuse .

LaurenS
07-29-2018, 06:29 AM
Meh, with all the different labels out there, I’m sure most of us are more than one. Many are subcategories, anyway. In the US, “tv” is considered archaic, or even derogatory, but it is generally considered a synonym.

I don’t really care, do you?

CarlaWestin
07-29-2018, 08:06 AM
To the very few yet understanding folks I've disclosed my predilection to, the introductory term is transgender. That breaks me out of the linear traditional male stereotype.
In the many years I've had to analyze the whole situation I've determined that I'm a crossdresser. And even that is just a technical word that people can understand.
I'm actually just a man that gets totally immersed in a female character portrayal that is ever changing.

Ressie
07-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Transvestite (TV) is a common term in the UK and other parts of the world. The word was used more often in the US until Phil Donahue started saying cross dresser on TV (pun not intended). As far as "trans" goes, the prefix in our world implies transexual.

Or just read Teresa's post #10.

DIANEF
07-29-2018, 08:35 AM
I've never cared much for the word Transvestite, though if some one referred to me as such it is not a major issue. I prefer crossdreser, but even that implies it is simply about wearing 'clothes of the opposite sex', and it goes much much deeper than that. If it comes down to it, a 'label' doesn't really matter. To paraphrase Shelly, when dressed I am, Diane.

sarah_hillcrest
07-29-2018, 08:45 AM
transvestite has always felt clinical and negative to me, crossdresser just sounds better, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Veronica4me
07-29-2018, 08:49 AM
I consider myself a gurl who doesn't care which side of the aisle in the store I shop from, but it's more exciting to shop from the women's!

Sherri_Christopher
07-29-2018, 09:06 AM
I prefer using the term, "crossdresser", or the acronym, "CD", to describe myself. I have no plans on transitioning in any way as I like my male self and don't want to leave it behind. To me at least, transgender/TG connotates transitioning from male gender to female gender (or visa versa). I have a friend who has transitioned totally from M-F and is going to get the surgery and has wanted this most of her life. It's never been that for me and I'm happy just sticking with crossdressing.

Vicky_Scot
07-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Not this old chestnut again!!!!!

Helen_Highwater
07-29-2018, 09:31 AM
Now that in the interests of gender equality some large retails no longer sell boys or girls clothing just children's given things like a tee shirt can be gender neutral, perhaps we will have generations who will expect to go into a shop and look for the clothes section. The the terms Trans or Cross may no longer apply.

We can dream can't we?

Danielle_cder
07-29-2018, 11:10 AM
I’m a transvestite don’t know why but I feel it fits me better

docrobbysherry
07-29-2018, 11:27 AM
U say potahto. I say potayto. But, with butter and salt they taste the same!:heehee:

Alice B
07-29-2018, 11:47 AM
In my little mind I think the term "TV" has a negative feeling, while CD does not and more people understand the meaning and seem more accepting.

Queen Bridget
07-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Transvestite here. It just sounds cooler to me :D

"Crossdresser" makes you sound like a piece of furniture.

Tracii G
07-29-2018, 12:43 PM
I'm transgender and that s it

Teresa
07-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Why get so heated about a simple translation , it's not really specific to the UK neither word takes priority . The problems may arise on the slant applied by the media in the US although I admit the media in general has much to answer for , how many terms do we use and abuse through media intervention.

I'm afraid we all come under the basic umbrella which ever term you choose to use . What labels we then apply only describe what our dressing needs are .

Jaylyn
07-29-2018, 02:15 PM
I just think of myself as a male that enjoys the smoothness of ladies attire so I guess I'm a CD and to me a Transvestite is more of a negative status person. " Why" I can't say but that's how I feel, I do agree though that to each one is their left to the preference of what they want to be called. Maybe just the part of the country I grew up in.

Millisense
07-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Hi Melyssa,
Doesn't seem like it really matters based on the responses but thanks for asking that as I wondered too.
Before I came here I thought of "CD" as a man wearing women's clothes occasionally and that's it, he would
dress and exist as a man the majority of the time. "TV" is indeed synonymous, but to me I had thought of a "TV" as a more "dedicated" cross-dresser: someone trying to pass more and for longer periods, with voice, etc., maybe "play the female character" as Carla aptly put it, but really just another word for CD.
"Trans" I thought of as only "transgender", not "transvestite", someone who exists as a woman all the time.
I didn't think of them as "labels" in the negative sense but simply easier ways to self-describe one's goal.

As a newbie, it would be easier for me to relate to some advice here if I could differentiate the source by those
"labels". I've found that the more 'dedicated' dressers here (if that's an acceptable and understandable term) and those who are transgender tend to not worry about certain things I as a closeted CD worry about and so their advice reflects that. I need to "put the worry back in" to adapt their advice or opinion to my situation.

But here "CD", "TV" and "Trans" depend on the source.
So I should've just typed the first sentence and left it at that because many are sensitive to it.

suzanne
07-29-2018, 04:27 PM
IMHO, the word transvestite sounds like an old school diagnosis, suggesting a psychological disorder that must be cured. I hate it. Even "crossdresser" is a term I'm becoming less happy with. I see crossdressing as an activity that is practiced for a variety of reasons. Being transgender is a big one and probably fits the majority in this forum, but the best description of me is "two spirit" because it reflects how my male and female sides work in harmony to make me complete.

Lisa Roberts
07-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Don’t care what ya call me... just don’t forget to call me for supper!
Lace and Smiles,
Lisa!

kimdl93
07-29-2018, 05:04 PM
I didn't read all 28 preceding replies.... the two words you mentioned are synonyms.... basically mean the same. However, use the prefix "trans..." a bit more carefully. The meaning can be considerably different depending upon the chosen suffix, such as transgender, transsexual, transdermal and transmission.

BLUE ORCHID
07-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Hi Melyssa :hugs:, I think CD sounds much more comfortable As TV sounds much more clinical .>Orchid ..O:daydreaming:O..

Teri Ray
07-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Are these the only two choices for a single word that accurately describes the desire for a male to present as female?...........? Come on. There must be a dozen more. Another concern here is these words are only single words. Shouldn't the final agreed to word have multiple parts. Come on this is after all the 20th century (hope I got that right). I demand more choices to define this thing I do that I do not understand why I do it. I for one find that we all must agree that we are not going to agree and it doesn't matter. If you don't agree with that then you are incorrect and ……….that is my final answer.

GeorgeA
07-29-2018, 07:47 PM
Before I joined this forum I was a transvestite, after joining to fit with the majority a crossdresser, now after long consideration I discovered that I am neither, but a miad.

Pumped
07-29-2018, 10:08 PM
To confuse things even more I am a member on another forum where some of the men like to wear women's clothing, but not one of them is a crossdresser or transvestite, they are just fashionable!

Desiree2bababe
07-29-2018, 11:27 PM
I consider myself a transvestite as that's what we were called when I came of age and quite frankly I find the word kind of arousing.

MonicaPVD
07-30-2018, 12:11 AM
In society we are at once obsessed with labels and with trying to be "special." How about that left-handed heteroflexible cis-male with an affinity for kale salad and presenting as a woman on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays? Are they a CD or a TV or just a freaking guy who enjoys wearing women's clothing?

DaisyLawrence
07-30-2018, 01:59 AM
This is just me but day to day I am not a crossdresser (or a transvestite) because I wear that clothes that align to my view of my gender. If I have cause to dress entirely in male clothes (did that at a wedding last year) then I consider myself to be crossdressed. On ocassion I dress up totally as a woman and then consider myself again to be crossdressed. Your question was badly worded as you asked 'do you consider yourself as crossdressers or trans'? I assume you meant crossdressers or transvestites? I realise they are the same term but also realise that here in the UK transvestite (or especially tranny for short) has accepted sexual stereotyping attached. I do consider my to be trans however, in the sense of transgender, not transvestite.

Charlotte7
07-30-2018, 06:10 AM
I've never managed to come to a settled view as to whether I'm a crossdresser who is a transvestite or a transvestite who is a crossdresser

Queen Bridget
07-30-2018, 06:21 AM
Lets meet in the middle and call ourselves Crossvestites.

Rollermiss
07-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Call me what ever you like just don't call me late for dinner. LOL. I am me, myself and I. I don't know anyone else that is me.

Kelsey

Stephanie47
07-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Back in my youth the only non-derogatory word used to describe men who wear women's clothing was transvestite. I don't recall the term being reduced to TV since TV was always associated with a television set, which sometimes was always referred to as the "boob tube." How's that for muddling the waters in a conversation? If I reduced to a one word descriptive term it would be "cross dresser." In my mind CD is one of those paper documents I get from the bank which is holding my vast fortunate of cash I use to hide in coffee cans in the back yard. I cannot use the term CD because the people I normally associate with do think CD is a certificate of deposit. They use to also use that term as it related to a "compact disc." But, now Best Buy and others are not carrying CD's. Maybe the term CD will be phased out too.

Teresa brings up a good point. The media has thrown that big umbrella over everyone. If your ear actually listens to the politicians in the good old USA the entire spectrum is transgender. And, based upon ignorance there is no distinction made for sub groupings.

If you get into a discussion with anyone willing to listen, I always recommend using sentences and paragraphs to explain yourself. I'd hate to have someone think I am a "certificate of deposit."

Ressie
07-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Many of the replies show why transvestite.com is for sale and currently not being used!

https://www.afternic.com/forsale/transvestite.com?utm_source=TDFS&utm_medium=sn_affiliate_click&utm_campaign=TDFS_Affiliate_namefind_direct8&traffic_type=CL3&traffic_id=Namefind

LydiaL
07-30-2018, 12:58 PM
And just to muck it up even more, perhaps I most closely align myself as a Transdresser :confused2:

Heather Anne
07-31-2018, 09:41 PM
i am a crossdresser and consider myself to be transgender.

t-girlxsophie
08-02-2018, 12:06 AM
It still perplexes me that folk get so wrapped up in how to describe themselves.I will at various times refer to myself as TV or CD,Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things.Also the haters out there arent so picky in how they describe us,TV and CD aren't up there in their insult list

Sophie

Ceera
08-02-2018, 12:49 AM
So many possible labels...

Cross dresser, in my opinion, simply implies you like to or prefer to wear the opposite gender's clothes. No sexual component is needed. They may or may not attempt to present as their 'clothing gender'. They may or may not feel they have some personal identification with their 'clothing gender'. A straight, cicgender male who thinks a woman's skirt is as comfortable and valid for him to wear as a Scottish kilt is a good example. But so is a cisgender male in a wig and breast forms, or cisgender female with a chest binder, using cosmetic changes and trying to present as other than their designated birth gender.

Transvestite, (or 'tranny'), in my opinion, means there is a Fetish aspect to cross dressing - that they get a sexual thrill from the practice. Pretty sure this is also the medical definition - that 'transvestivism' implies a sex fetish aspect. It has gained a negative connotation for that reason.

Transgender, (or 'Trans'), on the other hand, means they identify as other than their designated birth gender, and may or may not desire or need to transition fully to their identified gender. They probably, but not necessarily, wear clothing suitable to their identified gender.

None of the above particularly is linked to sexual orientation, or to partner preferences, or to relationship status.

I identify now as a transgender woman. I was raised as a cisgender male, but I identify now as more female than male in my mind, and I hope to soon transition medically and legally to fully female. Sexually, I am bi and leaning strongly to lesbian. I am not in a relationship, but am widowed after a long-term, monogamous, straight relationship with a cisgender woman. If I am introducing someone new to my situation, and want to disclose that I am not a cisgender woman, I say I am a 'transgender woman'. But most of the time, I simply say I am a woman, these days, if I am presenting at all female.

I am also a cross dresser, since on the increasingly rare occasions when I am not presenting female, I often still wear female jeans and sandals, and subtle earrings, and have my nails done. But that is a less accurate or comprehensive designation for me.

I do not consider myself a transvestite, because it is not a sexual fetish for me. If anything, being tucked while presenting female subdues or eliminates most sexual arousal responses from me.

Beverley Sims
08-04-2018, 05:20 AM
Both mean much the same thing, just a different expression.

Susan Smokes
08-04-2018, 04:54 PM
I would say, I am a crossdresser, but I could be considered a Transvestite. I prefer Crossdresser, but I am ok with both labels.