PDA

View Full Version : The last week or so

Asew
08-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Sunday, my wife was at a family reunion (I stayed home to watch the dogs, get work done around the house and catch up on work I missed). She told her step brother and his husband about my dressing and they said they want to drag me up. My wife has said she wanted to do this, but all the drag shows, drag bingos, and pride parade events we talked about never happen. This just seemed to be another reminder how I want to go out dressed up but it never seems to happen. She doesn't mind talking about it and making plans, but it never happens.

Last Tuesday, I bought my first skirt from Craigslist. $3 for a short frilly skirt (I already have one just in a different pattern, same company, size and style). I thought about having a cover story about buying it for my wife or something, but ended up if I was asked I would be truthful. Luckily the previous owner didn't ask any such questions.

On Saturday, I went and visited several of my running friends at a relay race. I was wearing the race shirt from a previous year along with a flared jean skirt and flip flops (my twisted my ankle earlier in the week so flip flops are the most comfortable). I was treated the same as always, but out of 15 people I knew, only one friend and one mostly stranger even mentioned the skirt. Seems weird no one wants to talk about it. Is it because they tolerate it but don't accept, don't want to say anything offensive, or just don't want to know anything about it? One of my friends said how she didn't understand why more men didn't wear skirts since they are so comfortable. And the other person was a runner I barely know who is locally known for running shirtless in kilts and he told me "nice kilt" with a thumbs up. Its obvious this isn't a kilt. But it was great to get positive feedback :)

And today, Monday, my mom stopped by since my wife and her were going to support my sister at family court. So I wore the flared jean skirt again. My mom knows about the skirts but definitely tried to play it off as kilts, I think this skirt kind of takes that kilt aspect away from it. She seemed ok about it and even talked about it little.

Krea
08-07-2018, 05:20 AM
It's great that you feel comfortable going out wearing what you want and that things are positive with your family. :thumbsup:
It's not necessarily a bad thing that nobody comments on what you are wearing. Maybe they are just ok with it and don't feel the need to mention it.
(For a comparison, would they comment on your attire if you were in 100% male mode?)
Best wishes for more progress :)

KitCat
08-07-2018, 05:58 AM
Its so cool that you are finding ways to include skirts into your daily life
so happy for you

JenniferMBlack
08-07-2018, 10:51 AM
I had someone after seeing me in a skirt say "That's a cute skirt" . Had never said anything before. When I asked the answer was "This one is cute the others were just plain". Skirts were not an issue but when she thought one was cute had felt compelled to say so.

marika_jaye
08-07-2018, 03:01 PM
This sort of story gives me hope for the future!

A couple weeks ago, when my friend and I went to get pedicures, I spent the entire day in a blue maxi skirt. I interacted with several people without a single word being said about my attire. I was a bit disappointed that nobody said anything...it's a really pretty skirt! Toward the end of the adventure, I wandered into a local mini mart to buy a Diet Dew. I didn't find any in the cooler, so I asked the cashier about it. The guy walks back to the cooler with me, points out where the Diet Dew was hiding and proceeds to have a conversation with me about other cashiers not stocking correctly. He glanced down a couple times, but not a word about my unusual choice of clothing.

A few days later, enjoying a day off with my sister and her ex-husband, I was standing outside when I saw my neighbor moving a couch out of her apartment. I asked if she'd like some help, and she very graciously accepted. So I walked over in my knee-length black skirt, with my pink polished toenails, and helped move the couch. Later that day while sitting on my porch, she approached me and we had a nice conversation. I asked her if my skirt was weirding her out, and she said she hadn't realized I was wearing one until I mentioned it.

People tend to be absorbed in their own worlds, and many don't notice something out of the ordinary unless their attention is called to it. Even then, the most common reaction I've seen is mild curiosity and polite indifference.

Beverley Sims
08-07-2018, 03:53 PM
An early step to your next phase in dressing.

Happy progression.

docrobbysherry
08-07-2018, 08:03 PM
The thing is, Asew, most people r aware of trans now. Many vanillas wonder about men dressed as women? But, androgenous dressing confuses them much more! U wearing just a skirt and getting no responses tends to reinforce that theory.:doh:

My daughter was scarred for life by her meeting with my first local trans friend. He dressed in a mishmash of male clothes and fem adornments! It's 10 years later and she STILL dreads me bringing home another trans because of him!:eek:

Asew
08-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Krea - Yeah, they wouldn't have said anything about shorts, I think it is easy to overthink this sometimes.
KitCat - Thanks! Definitely great to be able to skirt my life up! :)
wbdavid - That makes sense.
marika_jaye - Definitely that people are self absorbed and saying nothing is the easiest option.
Bev - Thanks!
doc - Definitely agree that it seems a mixed presentation is harder for some to accept over a binary presentation.