PDA

View Full Version : Do you tend to use the word transgendered and why/why not?

Princess Chantal
08-09-2018, 01:36 AM
It is common to see the word transgendered used on this forum. Do you tend to add the “ed” to transgender when describing yourself or others? Why or why not?

*please share just your reasons to the why or why not part of the questions, am not interested in the assumptions of why or why not other people tend to use it*

Beverley Sims
08-09-2018, 03:27 AM
I tend to use it reservedly as I do live eighty percent of the time as a woman and I did have HRT many years ago.

I should never have stopped.

DaisyLawrence
08-09-2018, 06:07 AM
I do not add the "ed". It is unecessary, often just used wrongly and often used in an offensive way ("oh he is one of those transgendered people"). Drop the "ed" everyone.

Ressie
08-09-2018, 06:11 AM
ed on the end is incorrect in my view since transgender is an adjective so I don't use that word. "I am transgender" or I'm a transgender person is they way I would say it. Just think of how you would use (and not use) other adjectives.

Lacey New
08-09-2018, 06:27 AM
If I were to describe myself, no I would not say I was transgender or transgendered. I have no desire to be a woman even though I like to dress as one from time to time. As such, I identify more with the terms “crossdresser” or even “transvestite”. However, I understand that there are many on this forum who identify with a strong feminine side and transgender would certainly be appropriate.

Rachelish
08-09-2018, 06:34 AM
"transgendered" suggests having been though a "transgendering" process. It's not a word I use.

Aunt Kelly
08-09-2018, 06:36 AM
With "English major" in my bio, I have to agree that the addition of "ed" (transgendered) or "ing" (dialoging) drives me crazy. Those thing have, nevertheless, become a part of the common lexicon. So if you want to call me transgendered, I won't complain about the butchery of the language. We have much bigger problems.

biancabellelover
08-09-2018, 06:47 AM
IMO, the “ed” implies past tense.

As I wrote in the other thread, I wouldn’t use either term, and I rarely bother with that level of detail in casual conversations.

Michelle

Allisa
08-09-2018, 07:17 AM
I use the "ed" because it sounds like a more complete word and it rolls off the tongue, plain and simple.

Jillian Faith
08-09-2018, 07:26 AM
If I were to describe myself, no I would not say I was transgender or transgendered. I have no desire to be a woman even though I like to dress as one from time to time. As such, I identify more with the terms “crossdresser” or even “transvestite”. However, I understand that there are many on this forum who identify with a strong feminine side and transgender would certainly be appropriate.

What Lacey said

Ameli
08-09-2018, 08:18 AM
No -ed for me! I don’t use it for similar reasons already mentioned. Also, I feel it’s similar to the use of the word gay. No one says that gay people aren’t gayed

Meghan4now
08-09-2018, 08:26 AM
IMO, the “ed” implies past tense.

As I wrote in the other thread, I wouldn’t use either term, and I rarely bother with that level of detail in casual conversations.

Michelle
I tend to agree with this. The "ed" seems like something happened. I was male yesterday, but magically overnight I was transgendered, and today I am female! It also implies the action is finished. But I will also say that it's a bit nit-picky, and I really don't get my panties in a bunch about it.

Karen's Secret
08-09-2018, 08:32 AM
I use transgendered. The term rolls of the tongue better for me. I also pronounce the hidden r in water and wash so perhaps I'm not the best authority on the matter.

Robertacd
08-09-2018, 08:38 AM
IDo you tend to add the “ed” to transgender when describing yourself or others?

Only when speaking in the past tense. :p

I think using the "ed" is just a common grammar mistake, like "enter your PIN number".

Jaylyn
08-09-2018, 08:54 AM
I agree with Aunt Kelly 100%, my wife being an English major fusses at me all the time for talking "Texan" as she calls it. I just call myself a CD. I know tranvestite is also used but I don't care for that derogertory term so CD is my thing. My wife thinks a transvetite is a disease but just being a CD is not. Don't fuss at me here on terminology but dressing is my hobby for relaxation, it's the same as fishing, hunting, pictures of wildlife, guitar picking, and taking a nap gives me. Relaxation and enjoyment even comforts me. I'm just a CD and use that term.

Micki_Finn
08-09-2018, 10:08 AM
"transgendered" suggests having been though a "transgendering" process. It's not a word I use.

This. The -ed makes it a passive verb, or implying something done to you.

Pat
08-09-2018, 11:41 AM
I use transgender. Transgendered is a malformation, in my opinion, like irregardless. But I'm a word nerd from 'way back.

Lygophilia
08-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Transgender. It makes more sense to me.

Tina Davis
08-09-2018, 12:26 PM
No "ed". I identify as a CD but have used transgender in public.

Jeri Ann
08-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Transgender is the only proper use of the word. This is not a matter of preference or opinion.

Aunt Kelly
08-09-2018, 09:35 PM
I use transgender. Transgendered is a malformation, in my opinion, like irregardless. But I'm a word nerd from 'way back.

Oh, thanks a bunch, Pat. Now I'm going to be cranky all day tomorrow, just at the mention of that... well, "word" is to polite for it. :)

jayme357
08-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Talk about picking flyshit out of pepper! Come on people.

docrobbysherry
08-09-2018, 10:21 PM
Too long to type! Trans or TS works just fine here!:heehee:

Teresa
08-10-2018, 05:06 AM
Chantal,
I had to think about this but more often than not I tell them I'm transgender , most people won't pick up on adding the " ed " so it's possibly more of a problem to our community then to the general public .