PDA

View Full Version : are you camp?

jacques
08-10-2018, 03:49 PM
hello all,
I sometimes notice that I am a little more effeminate and risque when wearing men's clothes than when I am when I am dressed.
I wonder why that is?
Does the same thing happen to you?
luv J

Micki_Finn
08-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Can’t say I’ve ever experienced this, and I’m not entirely sure what this has to do with camp...

Robertacd
08-10-2018, 05:12 PM
I am not sure what Jacques even means by "camp".

I have heard "campy" used to describe an amateurish movie production. Is this what you mean? Like "hamming it up"?

jacques
08-10-2018, 05:34 PM
hello Roberta,
may be the word camp does not have the same meaning in American English. It is hamming it up in an effeminate way.
according to that most reliable source of information (Wikipedia) "In 1909, the Oxford English Dictionary gave the first print citation of camp as. ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, 'camp' behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour."
luv J

Tracy Irving
08-10-2018, 05:41 PM
I tried to look it up. To paraphrase Wikipedia, somthing is camp (aesthetic style) when it is appealing because of its bad taste or ironic value.

To answer the question in the body, I can't say as I have ever felt more effeminate wearing a suit and tie than when wearing a dress.

DIANEF
08-10-2018, 06:08 PM
No, not at all. Just a normal guy in drab, maybe with a little more jewellery than average but that's it.

biancabellelover
08-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Not in either mode.

Michelle

DaisyLawrence
08-11-2018, 02:47 AM
Don't worry jacques, as an English person I know exactly what you mean by camp. Traceys' wikipeadia quote just goes to show that you should not believe anything you read on the internet.

I am visually effeminate in my actions and mannerisms regardless of clothing choice but I would not say that people react to that as they would the 'camp' manner of an obviously gay man. Sometimes you see camp men and instinctively know they are gay but I display my effeminate posture and mannerisms in a way that says 'gender different' rather than 'gay'. Or at least that is what people tell me.

Kiwi Primrose
08-11-2018, 03:28 AM
I'm sure I am not camp in the accepted English way. I am aware that some people detect my female side but not because of any OTT actions .

Beverley Sims
08-11-2018, 03:50 AM
Never had the problem, only when younger and playing around with others and making fun of the scene.

I keep the both sides of me separate at all times.

Helen_Highwater
08-11-2018, 04:00 AM
Jacques,

I'd have to say no. When in drab while not 100% alpha male I don't think I display any actions that would be more associated with my femme side.

I must admit that I also hope that while enfemme I don't appear camp either. I do hope that my mannerisms are those of an average GG and not overly exaggerated with is something often associated with camp behaviour.

Just trying to walk along life's tightrope.

Teresa
08-11-2018, 04:18 AM
Jacques,
No it's one thing I'm not , I don't have a problem with it but it's just not me . I'm comfortable and relaxed and have some fun , in fact no one is really camp in any of my social groups . I'm sure it's a carryover from the impression the media gives , if you look back to some of the comedians most camped it up , Dick Emery, Stanley Baxter , Kenny Everitt , the Two Ronnies not so much . So far I haven't had any jibes about carrying a handbag which is the camp stereotype .

Am I more effeminate ? My answer to that is I play down the male traits but I don't overdo the effeminate angle . When you're out and about dressed I find you can't put on a false act both in action and voice , I had to check out a new hob unit for and a vacuum cleaner in Curry's, in those circumstances I just had to be me . Trying out a new Hoover in a retail shop was something I didn't expect to do , the sales guy set it all up for me so I couldn't refuse , ( no I didn't do the " Shake and Vac " wriggle !" )

ellbee
08-11-2018, 04:27 AM
Funny that you mention this. :)

Just the other day at work, I had found myself in a situation, working as part of a 2-person team alongside a GG who I get along with pretty well & share a good connection. I don't even recall what exactly had precipitated it, whether it was something that was said on her end, or something that had happened. Well, before I know it, in response I throw out what could be considered a "campy" little performance.

We both had a good genuine laugh over it... But shortly afterwards she also sorta gave the impression that part of her was probably thinking like, "Yeah, he almost did that a little *too* well! :heehee: "

It's fine. She knows I can be a goofball, and we share our own unique closeness with one another. Honestly, if I still did the whole en-femme thing, and there was an opportunity? I could totally see myself hanging out with her like that. She's just one of those GG's, ya know? :thumbsup:

But anyway, sometimes I'm able to bring that campiness out to play. Really depends on all kinds of variables... Who I'm with, who else might be around, what kind of mood I'm in, what the general vibe is like at that time. That sorta stuff.

And it's not even something I really think about beforehand. I just do it naturally & out-of-the-blue. I guess it also has to do with how comfortable I am with the person.

Finally, part of it is me just goofing around. But it also is somewhat real, that I can have a knack for it sometimes. It's like, "Uh, where did *that* come from?? LOL" I dunno, it just comes to me in the moment, so I let it out? :strugglin

Anyway, nothing wrong with having a little fun in life! :D

susan54
08-11-2018, 05:09 AM
There is a difference between camp and feminine. For UK people here, the campest people I can think of were Frankie Howerd and the salesman (was he called Mr Humphries?) in that dreadful 'comedy' Are You Being Served? High voice, soaring vowels and exaggerated gestures - all indicative (and presumably meant to be) of homosexuality. Before it was legalised gay men even had their own language called Poloni, and a character on a radio comedy called Round the Horn brought the language to a wider audience.

Am I camp? Absolutely not. I don't think of it as something associated with crossdressers - more drag queen territory. Now that I think of it there was a lot of camp behaviour in the only episode of RuPaul's Drag Show I ever watched.

Tracy Irving
08-11-2018, 03:40 PM
you should not believe anything you read on the internet.

Lol, good one. Especially the comment above! Well played DaisyLawrence. Well played.

Robertacd
08-13-2018, 11:26 PM
hello Roberta,
may be the word camp does not have the same meaning in American English. It is hamming it up in an effeminate way.
according to that most reliable source of information (Wikipedia) "In 1909, the Oxford English Dictionary gave the first print citation of camp as. ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, 'camp' behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour."
luv J

Definition of campy (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/campy)
campier; campiest
: in the style of camp : absurdly exaggerated, artificial, or affected in a usually humorous way
campy horror movies

Also an interesting read on camp and campy (https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-meaning-of-campy-as-an-adjective)

Tracii G
08-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Wiki must have some homophobic people working for them.

LilSissyStevie
08-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Waaaay over the top, here. I'm a flaming drag queen trapped in a straight dudes body.

docrobbysherry
08-14-2018, 01:08 PM
I think Stevie nailed it! This sounds more like a description of a drag queen than any of the countless T's I've met!:thumbsup:

t-girlxsophie
08-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Watch old British "comedy" series Are you Being Served and you'll know instantly what "Camp" means

Sophie

suzanne
08-15-2018, 11:08 PM
Nope, camp is not my style. When I go out, I work hard to avoid changing my mannerisms. I want to project the notion that a man can carry off wearing a skirt and be taken seriously.

mattea
08-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Watch old British "comedy" series Are you Being Served and you'll know instantly what "Camp" means

Sophie

Thank you Sophie and everyone that mentioned "Are you being served"! That is one of my favorite programs, of all time. My mother dearly loved that program and we would always watch it together. I can completely relate and understand what you mean now by the word "camp" as for me, I am probably a bit reserved no matter how I present. I just have always been happy standing in the back and observing for the most part.

Becky Blue
08-16-2018, 01:04 AM
No Alpha male here, but definitely not camp...

BrendaPDX
08-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Not me, I seldom go over the top, not something I really cared to be in drab or enfemme.

Barbara Black
08-16-2018, 09:22 AM
I have the same definition of camp as Tracy, "appealing because of its bad taste or ironic value". Maybe because we're from the same state? ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confured about how you "display my effeminate posture and mannerisms in a way that says 'gender different' rather than 'gay'", Daisy. Not doubting you of course, but it seems to me one hell of a feat to distinquish the two sets of mannerisms. I'm sure I couldn't do it even if I knew the differences. ha ha