PDA

View Full Version : Resolving farmer arms...

nikkiwindsor
08-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Well, since my wife has allowed me to thin and shorten my light-colored arm hairs to almost nothing I can now wear sleeveless dresses. Through all my years of dressing, I've only worn long sleeve dresses. But, now that I'm enthralled with sleeveless outfits, I'm presented with a new problem. Yes, what you heard is true, I have farmer arms with a distinct tan line on my upper arms. Does anyone know of a quick fix beyond laying around in the sun wearing a bikini top in my non-existent spare time?

Jennifer in CO
08-12-2018, 08:37 PM
tank top while you mow the lawn, feed the horses (my approach), or what ever you do outside.

KatrinaK
08-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Hate to say it Nikki, but I think you’re gonna have to solve that problem the old fashioned way.

Kimberly Adams
08-12-2018, 09:03 PM
I wish my arm were thin and lean but they aren't I'm not fat but have guy's arms. I usually just opt for dresses with sleeves.

Judy-Somthing
08-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Long sleeve shirts!

ToniG
08-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Tank Tops, slvls tops All The Time Outside! Have been doing this all summer myself--- and my "lines' are gone. Takes a while- don't know of a "quick fix" that doesent have "other issues" :( Toni. G...

Rachael Leigh
08-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Nikki, I agree with Katrina tan, tan, tan. It took me a year of laying out. This year I can go sleevless with the best of them

KatrinaK
08-12-2018, 09:33 PM
Easiest thing is to exercise outdoors... I run in a tank top every morning and I surf so my issue is actually replacing foundation from all the tanning LOL

Mistyjo
08-12-2018, 10:30 PM
I started out this spring with the same problem Nikki I started laying out in a bikini every weekend for an hour or so since early June no more farmers tan. I realize its not a quick fix but it's the only way I know of to get an even tan

Tracy Irving
08-12-2018, 11:14 PM
If you want the opposite result, there are some options that people have posted on the internet. I have not tried nor do I endorse any of them.

Aunt Kelly
08-12-2018, 11:18 PM
Neutrogena "Build a Tan" lotion. You use it like moisturizer and it slowly adds color to the areas where it's applied. Doesn't impart that Cheeto-like hue that some of those "spray tan" products do.

Eboni Robinson
08-12-2018, 11:48 PM
I would recommend a very nice and breathable cardigan. I have a big arms and wide shoulders that are getting bigger through weightlifting. I'm sure I would get made instantly if I didn't wear them. Its always worked for me love.

biancabellelover
08-13-2018, 12:21 AM
Or... just saying... go the other way...

I’m an Aussie (Australia has the highest rates of skin cancer in the world). When I started this journey I decided that the best skin care I could provide FOR FREE was to reduce my sun exposure. I wear long pants/sleeves to protect my long suffering skin from any further UV damage.

I might be a little biased, as I’ve had a melanoma removed from my arm. No guesses as to how it started.

Michelle.

Stephanie47
08-13-2018, 12:59 AM
I doubt you can find a natural 'quick fix.' I have not only a farmer's tan on my biceps, I have a tan line on my legs. Yep, I am addicted to wearing shorts and sweat socks all the time. Of course, hosiery solves the leg issue. However, after seventy years of wearing short sleeve shirts and tee shirts I'm stuck with the farmer's tan. The sun rays can penetrate material, so covering up will not necessarily eliminate all tanning.

Perhaps finding finger less elbow length gloves to be worn when sunbathing will stop further tanning on the forearms while tanning the biceps and shoulders. You cannot really tan shirtless because the already tanned areas will darken more. Otherwise while you wait you can wear dresses that cover down to the tan line on the biceps.

DaisyLawrence
08-13-2018, 02:14 AM
Well, since my wife has allowed me to thin and shorten my light-colored arm hairs to almost nothing I can now wear sleeveless dresses.

How very generous of her. Out of curiosity, did she ask your permission to do the same to her own arm hair?

Helen_Highwater
08-13-2018, 04:11 AM
Nikki,

Earlier in the year I bought a tea dress with cape sleeves and in order to ever wear it out I needed to rid myself of my farmers arms. I opted to wear sports vests, tank tops, call them what you will, while working outside.

We've been blessed with good weather this summer so sunshine has been plentiful. What I did do is wear factor 50 sun cream and made sure my exposure was time limited. No more than 10 minutes in full sunshine.

It has worked. I've evened my tan out and in the precess I've also tanned my upper chest so if creating cleavage I've not got the polo shirt Vee tan under my neck. Plus my legs are tanned so I can go without hose if I so choose.

Your other option, and in previous years when sunshine hasn't been as plentiful, in order to overcome the Vee neckline issue I've used Dove slow tan. Used daily it will give good natural looking results.

Sarah Louise
08-13-2018, 04:23 AM
To be fair, going sleeveless is often hard for many of us to pull off. It might be worth taking pictures from front, side-on and from behind and make sure the look suits you. You may come to the conclusion that a short sleeve that covers you light bits is a better option.

nikkiwindsor
08-13-2018, 05:25 AM
To be fair, going sleeveless is often hard for many of us to pull off. It might be worth taking pictures from front, side-on and from behind and make sure the look suits you. You may come to the conclusion that a short sleeve that covers you light bits is a better option.

Sarah, please see my sleeveless bandage dress pics under Becky's "Bare Shoulders" thread and let me know what you think about the tan lines on my arms...thank you! Nikki

- - - Updated - - -

Or... just saying... go the other way...

I’m an Aussie (Australia has the highest rates of skin cancer in the world). When I started this journey I decided that the best skin care I could provide FOR FREE was to reduce my sun exposure. I wear long pants/sleeves to protect my long suffering skin from any further UV damage.

I might be a little biased, as I’ve had a melanoma removed from my arm. No guesses as to how it started.

Michelle.

Oh dear, I too am concerned about melanoma...I'm a ginger so I burn very easily and I'm prone to skin cancer as well...I'm thinking about trying some of the slow tanning lotions suggested by some of the girls on the forum.

Cheryl T
08-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Try a spray tan

char GG
08-13-2018, 07:55 AM
My husband uses SPF 50 on his lower arms and SPF 30 on the upper arms. They have evened out very nicely.

Jaylyn
08-13-2018, 08:08 AM
I have a farmers tan arms also but we swim also in the hot afternoons and mine has gotten some what blended. When I was younger I worked driving a tractor and usually did so with just track shorts and usually took my t shirt off. I thought dad has me out here working and the town kids are all in the swimming pool. I wanted to have the same tan as they did I used baby oil on my skin then because that's what mom had for us kids. When school started I didn't have a farmers tan but would be darker than then city kids from plowing n tractor driving all summer. As I got older and now I try and cover up as much as I can because of all the hype about skin cancer. I've had a few dark places cut off my face but they weren't cancers. The doctor said they were age spots. My suggestion for the arms is just get them tanned and not worry. Do wear a skin protector if you are subject to cancer.

kayegirl
08-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Nikki, I have a similar problem, although I'm really retired, I have spent much of this summer rebuilding a length of stone waLloyd. As I don't like working in vest type tops, my shoulders are usually covered. But just to make it more difficult, I have to work in gloves, and Wear safety boots. So not just farmers shoulders, but hands, wrists ankles and feet!! My solution has been to use one of the self tanning moisturising creams, my favourite is a Dove product, but be careful some can be a bit too orange in colour.

Teresa
08-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Nikki,
Bite the bullet occasionally and bare all on the top half . I admit it's easier for me now as I live alone , normally I wear women's Tshirts and ease the shoulders up as far as possible . The one time when I made a big boob was when I fell asleep in the garden wearing a swimsuit I had a very interesting tan shape , which was just before I was going to wear the strapless dress in my avatar .

Ressie
08-13-2018, 11:34 AM
I'm not serious enough about CDing to give a rip about my farmer's tan. I also don't wanna take the time to lay in the sun or spend money for fake baking.

I've used tanning cream on my legs and it works good enough if applied evenly. I use just enough so that my legs don't look like white out! It might be worth a try on your upper arms since it doesn't take much time or cost too much.

docrobbysherry
08-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Only u won't like it!:sad:

I hate my farmer's tan upper arms! :Angry3:

But, I can't tan my already burned up, old, ginger skin. So, I make arm covers out of kids tites!:D

You'll see me wearing them in all my bare arm photos. And, I'll even wear them out on public occasionally!:battingeyelashes:

I'm wearing them here:

nikkiwindsor
08-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Neutrogena "Build a Tan" lotion. You use it like moisturizer and it slowly adds color to the areas where it's applied. Doesn't impart that Cheeto-like hue that some of those "spray tan" products do.

With my wife having positive experiences with Neutrogena products and my heightened risk of skin cancer, I'm going to try Neutrogena's "build a tan" lotion...hopefully, that'll do the trick...thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Mandy T
08-13-2018, 03:13 PM
I wear tank top out side every afternoon after work. My lines are gone now

Mandy

GracieRose
08-13-2018, 04:46 PM
I always hated those farmer's tan lines with a line where men's short sleeve t-shirts end.
Short sleeve women's tops have shorter sleeves than men's shirts, so when I wore women's tops, I had a band of pale skin showing beyond the end of the sleeve. I wouldn't wear a sleeveless top with that much pale skin showing at the top of my arms.
This year I decided to get serious about eliminating a tan line there.
When wearing men's t-shirts, I always put on sunscreen up to the edge of the sleeve before going outside.
I also started rolling my short sleeves up to my shoulders when I am out in the sun for any extended period of time.
I only had one comment asking why I rolled up my sleeves. I told him that I was trying to avoid a farmer's tan. I didn't say why.
The tan line has moved up to my shoulders and is not visible with sleeveless tops or women's short sleeve tops.
I'm a happy camper now. :)

Megan Nicole
08-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I’m usually tan most of the summer and my arms have no issues with the farmer tan thing. But, even though my arms are not huge by any means, they are not super feminine either. I have lots of 3/4 sleeve tops and dresses. That seems to help hide my “guy arms” a little. -Meg

Dee Baker
08-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Before my last outing I got a spray tan as I was wearing a sleeveless dress.
This post got me thinking though and I remembered seeing some tan through swim suits years ago so I googled (tan through) and found several swimsuits and also shirts. As a large percentage of my farmers tan comes from mowing my lawn I am thinking I will get a tan through T-shirt for next year.

https://www.tanthrough.com/proddetail.php?id=2200

DIANEF
08-13-2018, 06:27 PM
The sun has a similar effect on me as it does to Dracula. I have very pale skin and five minutes of sunshine sees me already turning pink, so I avoid it like the plague. That and the fact there is a history of skin cancer in my family means I love the rain far more than the sun. If I must go out out comes the SPF 2000 sun lotion!

nikkiwindsor
08-13-2018, 07:21 PM
I too am like Dracula...my gingerness makes me susceptible to sunburn and melanoma. Maybe it's the genes. One side of my family immigrated from Transylvania only 2 generations ago! And remarkable, despite my American upbringing, I feel very European.

NjJamie
08-13-2018, 08:12 PM
I only wear sleeveless or tank tops when out in the sun, not as much for that reason but it's a nice additional benefit!

Beverley Sims
08-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Try tanning lotion in small doses just to blur the image a little.

nikkiwindsor
08-14-2018, 04:13 PM
I've decided to try a self tanner as many forum GFs have suggested...I just bought Neutrogena "Build a Tan" and will try blurring the line as Bev suggested...wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, not knowing exactly how I'll respond to this magical potion, I've applied sparingly to my upper arms and blended (or at least think so) along the line. In a couple hours we'll see what happens...if I end up looking like an orangutan, I will not be happy

Micki_Finn
08-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Spray tan. It’s safer than beds or the sun, and you can just apply it where you need it to even things out.

giuseppina
08-14-2018, 07:20 PM
I'm inclined to think you have two reasonable choices: wear long sleeved shirts and gloves and wait until next spring, or use the tanning lotions/skin colourants that may or may not match the tanned skin.

It's your choice, but I don't think more sun or tanning salons are a viable option. There is a reason Australia, New Zealand, and other countries of similar latitude have higher rates of skin cancer than the rest of the world: the earth is closer to the sun in their summer season resulting in higher UV intensity than the Northern Hemisphere summers.

Vivian Chen
08-14-2018, 07:28 PM
I've decided to try a self tanner as many forum GFs have suggested...I just bought Neutrogena "Build a Tan" and will try blurring the line as Bev suggested...wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, not knowing exactly how I'll respond to this magical potion, I've applied sparingly to my upper arms and blended (or at least think so) along the line. In a couple hours we'll see what happens...if I end up looking like an orangutan, I will not be happy

I use them and today's skin tanning/darkening lotions are much better than the ones from years ago. Apply sparingly and reapply everyday until it's your desired shade. It'll should last around a week.

KatrinaK
08-14-2018, 07:33 PM
You could bleach your arms!

Because as a television ad I literally saw in India said, “you’ll never find a husband if you don’t bleach your skin”

I thought it was a spoof ad like Saturday Night Live, but it was in fact very real... unfortunately.

Vivian Chen
08-14-2018, 07:36 PM
You could bleach your arms!

Because as a television ad I literally saw in India said, “you’ll never find a husband if you don’t bleach your skin”

I thought it was a spoof ad like Saturday Night Live, but it was in fact very real... unfortunately.

There are whitening creams for women in Asia and they sort of work, albeit slowly. Oh, and never buy those from China, only reputable brands from Japan and South Korea.

Ressie
08-15-2018, 07:02 AM
If I was serious about achieving the look many young women have, I would be spending time in the sun - preferably at a beach or on a boat. And I would wear a speedo or short shorts. Yes there's the risk of skin cancer but there are many everyday risks we have to deal with. I'm not talking about achieving a super dark tan, just a nice all over light tan.

nikkiwindsor
08-16-2018, 06:00 AM
For me, I hate being in the sun...it's uncomfortably hot and my skin burns so easily. And I've seen those who've been in the sun for years...their skin is leathery and full of wrinkles. The tanning lotion I've applied is working! The distinct line between tanned and untanned areas is slowly receding...yay! Not surprisingly, I've become a bit addicted to tanning lotion. I've applied to my legs and they're looking gorgeously tan too! Off to apply another round to darken them some more.

- - - Updated - - -

Fortunately, being a red head has it's benefits...I don't need to bleach my arms because my hair is very, very light. Combine that with thinning and removing much of my arm hears and you can now barely see my arm hairs at all.

- - - Updated - - -

hope to get my altered sleeveless, bandage mermaid gown back from the seamstress...then pics once my farmer's arms are completely gone!

nikkiwindsor
08-18-2018, 01:46 PM
This morning, I went to the alterations business and my light pink bandage mermaid gown was ready and beautifully altered as promised. It fits like a glove...not too tight, not loose, just right! I'm happy that the Neutrogena "Build a Tan" worked well in diffusing my "farmer's arms" so my arms won't get undue attention when I post some pics of me wearing the gorgeous gown.

Jenny22
08-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Doc, share with us how you make your arm covers out of Kid's tights, please.

StephanieJ
08-18-2018, 06:58 PM
I'm with KatrinaK. I've started wearing a tank top while I work out and the farmer tan is pretty much gone. Now I have the same problem on the lower extremities with lines on my legs from my bike shorts...

Of course you could also just embrace it... I've heard it's the latest trend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4JyLz_jN9E