PDA

View Full Version : The Lumberjack Song !

Teresa
08-21-2018, 08:41 AM
I was in my garage this morning sorting brushes and paint out to start decorating my hall , I could hear the guy across the road loading something into a wheelbarrow , so I looked to see him loading logs to store for his woodburner . I called across to him asking if he'd like me to sing him the Lumberjack song , his actual answer isn't repeatable here but he knew I was pulling his leg . As many may know from my previous postings he does know about my dressing and has seen me on several occasions , his wife can't work it out but when I drove off the other day she saw me and gave me a nice wave so obviously she's coming to terms with her new neighbour .

Elizabeth G
08-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Hi Teresa,

I love the lumberjack song! As a mat of fact I used to use a line from it here in my signature. I'm glad your neighbor may be coming around.

Elizabeth

Jodi
08-21-2018, 09:34 AM
That reminded me of an old joke. Why did the lumber truck stop in the middle of the road? To let the lumberjack off.

Jodi

Beverley Sims
08-21-2018, 10:38 AM
I think it's good that you can illicit a response from your neighbour like that.

We do have to lighten things up a bit sometimes.

I hope the interaction continues in the same vein. :-)

Leslie Langford
08-21-2018, 12:00 PM
As a Canadian, I feel honoured that the Pythons would have paid us tribute in this manner. :thumbsup: :heehee:

No shame in being "roasted" by these master satirists, Teresa, and it puts us in very select company. But hey!...one has to wear something pleasurable under those plaid shirts, overalls, and work boots to deal with the cold nights (not to mention all those ubiquitous mosquitos) out there in the wild. :)

The trick is not to get mauled by a grizzly bear in the process and then being rushed off to a hospital to have the damage tended to. "My, oh my!...What have we here??? ;) :doh:

docrobbysherry
08-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Never heard of the Lumberjack Song. But, I Googled it. By Monte Python evidently! :straightface:

Gillian Gigs
08-21-2018, 01:56 PM
I lived in British Columbia for 21 years and wood heated my home for many of those years. I would get my winters wood by felling trees and splitting the logs. I guess you could call me a lumberjack...and I'm ok...LOL. I like to wear women's clothing, suspenders and a bra... unlike the song, I don't press wild flowers.
Isn't the Lumberjack song the anthem of Crossdressers? LOL

LydiaL
08-21-2018, 02:36 PM
I was not familiar with the song, so read the lyrics then listened to the tune.

The Monty Python group always cracks me up.

Laura912
08-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Several years ago, the group actually apologized because some groups were complaining about the insensitivity of the song. It is refreshing that so far no one here has been offended.

BLUE ORCHID
08-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Hi Teresa :hugs:, I just Googled YouTube the lumberjack song with Monty Python

and your thread now is funny and makes sense now. >Orchid ..0:daydreaming:0..

Teresa
08-21-2018, 03:47 PM
Laura,
The Monty Python team did stir a few people up in there time but as you say time does change things

By coincidence I'm reading Micheal Palin's Pole to Pole again , and he does give some a treat with singing a few verses on his travels .

Bobbi46
08-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Teresa
Regarding your bokk are you reading it chop chop!!!

RADER
08-21-2018, 04:17 PM
That is the reason I do not go out of the house dressed; I would look like a lumberjack wearing a dress.
At least some one put it to music.
Rader

Jaylyn
08-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Good one Jodi I'd never heard that joke before and good job on getting your neighbor a little used to you Teresa. We all gain when something like this happens, just take it slow and easy but steady.

kimdl93
08-21-2018, 04:34 PM
For the record, I never wanted to run a pet shop, and I know that Norwegian Blue Parrot is not simply pining for the fjords.

dana digs sweaters
08-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Too funny of how a lumberjack song turned into crossdressing :lol2:

donnalee
08-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Why not attach a video or at least the lyrics?

michelleddg
08-21-2018, 07:23 PM
For the record, I never wanted to run a pet shop, and I know that Norwegian Blue Parrot is not simply pining for the fjords.

It's not dead. It's resting.

SabrinaEmily
08-21-2018, 07:26 PM
Never heard of the Lumberjack Song. But, I Googled it. By Monte Python evidently! :straightface:

I'm surprised you've gone so long without hearing of it, but that means today's your lucky day (https://xkcd.com/1053/)!

And for those who still haven't, "lumberjack song" on Youtube or Google will quickly find it.

GracieRose
08-21-2018, 08:52 PM
This song has been one of my favorites since I first heard it.
Especially when followed up with this complaint from an irate listener...
"Dear Sir, I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the song which you have just broadcast about the lumberjack who wears women's clothes. Many of my best friends are lumberjacks, and only a few of them are transvestites."

Felicia M
08-21-2018, 09:24 PM
LMAO

Love the Lumberjack song. I grew up in the states but watched any and all Monty Python I could get my hands on in my teenage years. My soccer (futbol) coach also loved the Flying Circus and we use to sing that song at practice in lighter moments. Thanks for this today....I needed it.

Barbara Black
08-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Gracie, I too have loved the song ever since I first heard it. And I love being reminded of the comments given afterward; "only a few are..." LOL

biancabellelover
08-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Love the Lumberjack song.

It would only be Americans who haven’t heard it, as Monty Python never really caught on in the U.S. mainstream. To those who haven’t, google “The lumberjack song”.

Michelle.

Becky Blue
08-22-2018, 12:26 AM
I am staggered that so many of you ladies have not heard of the song before its a classic....there is also a classic transgender scene in the Life of Brian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c Its called I want to be a Woman

Valentina_Rossi
08-22-2018, 02:30 AM
Hi!!!!

I am also surprised, since I though it was part of pop culture in English. When I was in the US, you could see the show - butchered to pieces and in the wrong order - in the local PBS station. But in university, I used to watch it in VHS (or maybe Betamax) bootlegs with subtitles in Spanish! The subtitles were "weird" because probably it came from a version from Spain. I have seen the show and all the movies, many many times... the only US show that comes close, in my opinion, is "Mr Show with Bob and David".

Love love
Val

Helen_Highwater
08-22-2018, 03:56 AM
Terry Gilliam, one of the Python team, has come out as being transgendered.

Also if you look back through many of their sketches you'll find them dressed as women, Hell's Grannies springs to mind.

Teresa
08-22-2018, 04:10 AM
Reply to all ,

Sorry I'm really disappointed with my replies so far , the song was really a red herring , I was really looking for volunteers to help me with my decorating ! I tried to do it in Photoshop on the computer and pressed the execute button looked round to see if my hall was finished , no it turns out technology still isn't that good !!

Seriously you all saw the funny side of my story thanks for that and some lovely replies .

Kiwi Primrose
08-22-2018, 04:12 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts
I had the good fortune to meet Michael Palin in Auckland, NZ, some years ago. He was very good-humoured and interesting, his sense of fun was obvious.

Charlotte7
08-22-2018, 04:51 AM
Reply to all , Sorry I'm really disappointed with my replies so far , the song was really a red herring , I was really looking for volunteers to help me with my decorating !

Ok, I'll help with your decorating if you'll help relaying all our carpets, well, all except the main bedroom as that was done a couple of years ago, but the rest need replacing :)

Valentina_Rossi
08-22-2018, 04:57 AM
Hi!!!

@Helen: actually, I think that Gilliam was making fun of these identity politics thing. His quote is that he wanted to become “a black lesbian in transition.”, because that ticks many of the boxes for affirmative action, or whatever it is that replaced it. It was a tongue in cheek remark - he is a Python after all - that got taken out of context for the scandal of that minute, got the counter outrage, and got forgotten the next day.

@Kiwi Primrose: WOW!!! You got to meet Palin! I am super envious ;)

Love love
Val

colleen ps
08-22-2018, 06:23 AM
Teresa, that song has many memories for me, Have you heard this one by weird A Yankovic?

http://youtu.be/PvvMdCTA_os

Teresa
08-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Charlotte,
Maybe we could come to a deal natuarally dressing is optional !!

Primrose,
How lucky you are , I hope this dosen't sound too presumptuous but I see some Plalin traits in my nature , I have an off the wall sense of humour , get on well with people and like travelling . I admit I don't like roughing it as much as he does but I would have loved to have been part of his team on his various travel adventures .

Colleen ,
No I haven't but I will check it out now .
Just checked it out , that one could really catch on !!

susan jackson
08-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Terry Gilliam, one of the Python team, has come out as being transgendered.

I think it's typical Python humour. He has said he is "a black lesbian in transition"

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/07/05/monty-pythons-terry-gilliam-im-a-black-transgender-lesbian/

JaniceP
08-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Jodi, that's precious. I intend to use it & if I get any residuals I'll be sure to cut you in for 10%-------------LOL---------

- - - Updated - - -

Teresa, Gotta ask, what is the Lumberjack song?

LaSirenaBella
08-22-2018, 02:01 PM
I just love that song, even to this day.

Teresa
08-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Janice ,
If you look up Monty Pythons Flying Circus you're bound to find it . Micheal Palin sang it , I'm surprised you haven't heard others mention it but then some of us forget how old we have become , now where did I put my Olay wrinkle cream ?

kimdl93
08-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Love the Lumberjack song.

It would only be Americans who haven’t heard it, as Monty Python never really caught on in the U.S. mainstream. To those who haven’t, google “The lumberjack song”.

Michelle.

I beg to differ. The Pytons have been a huge factor in the US since the late sixties....and continuing to this day. (See Spamalot!) We were all singing the Lumberjack Song long before many forum members had been born!

dana digs sweaters
08-22-2018, 04:13 PM
I beg to differ. The Pythons have been a huge factor in the US since the late sixties....and continuing to this day. We were all singing the Lumberjack Song

Agreed!
Sunday nights on PBS had all the school kids repeating the show on Mondays :o

Helen_Highwater
08-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Valentina,

You may well be correct. What I can remember is Michael Palin taking about one of the team turning up often dressed as a female. It's possible that it was Graham Chapman as he did come out as gay, disclosing his homosexuality in public on British jazz musician George Melly's television show in 1972

Valentina_Rossi
08-23-2018, 03:54 AM
Hi Helen!!

I was more under the impression that crossdressing for comedy has deep roots in British culture. In my impression, the Pythons just followed that, as other shows from that era did, like The Benny Hill show - that I also saw with subtitles, by the way. All of the Pythons dressed like women in their sketches.... and you are right that Chapman came out as gay later... he struggled with that, and drank heavily. But I think it is unrelated to the dressing.

Love love
Val

Valentina,

You may well be correct. What I can remember is Michael Palin taking about one of the team turning up often dressed as a female. It's possible that it was Graham Chapman as he did come out as gay, disclosing his homosexuality in public on British jazz musician George Melly's television show in 1972

Teresa
08-23-2018, 04:15 AM
Valentina,
Monty Pythons was of that time , anti establishment , off the wall ! They pushed the limits in all directions , maybe it wouldn't have happened today everyone has to be so politically correct . The Python team just lampooned everyone , who can say if any of them were genuinely into CDing ?

To come out as as anything then was contentious , be it gay or TG , so Graham Chapman knew it was difficult but because the law hadn't long been changed .

Helen_Highwater
08-23-2018, 06:35 AM
One of my fave sketches is the Travel Agent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2LaJOVAiA)

I used to drive people insane by reciting word of word the entire thing.

Teresa
08-23-2018, 08:08 AM
Helen,
The Cleese/Palin argument sketch could have gone on for days . Then there were the crazy animations , I often fooled around with pictures trying to recreate some of them .

Gillian Gigs
08-23-2018, 08:24 AM
Teresa quote, "Monty Pythons was of that time , anti establishment , off the wall ! They pushed the limits in all directions".

Maybe us CD'ers have a lot to be thankful for from the likes of the Pythons and other comedians who were breaking the ice for us to follow. They took a cultural taboo and relaxed it in our psyche. Comedy isn't necessarily about laughing, it also should make us think about how we view life, society, as well as how we all have quirks and things we can identify in ourselves and others.

Beverley Sims
08-23-2018, 09:49 AM
The drawings and pencilled sketches were inspired by the Coles, Funny Picture Book.

Helen_Highwater
08-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Helen,
The Cleese/Palin argument sketch could have gone on for days.

No it couldn't

Charlotte7
08-23-2018, 11:27 AM
"Japanese Sage Derby?"
"No"
Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?
"Not today sir"
Cheddar?
"Well I'm afraid that there's not much call for it around these parts."
"Not much call for it!!! It's the single most popular cheese in the World!!"
"Not around here sir!"
"And what is the most popular cheese around here?"
"Illchester sir"
"Is it"
"Oh, yes, staggeringly popular in this manor squire"
"Have you got any he asked, expecting the answer no"

docrobbysherry
08-23-2018, 11:36 AM
I'm sorry! But, u must be leaving something out, Teresa, et al!:sad:

I'm quite familiar with Monty Python. Altho I didn't watch them every week here in the USA. But, I watched many and went to their movies and loved them! And, I have my own favorite routines and some songs that stand out. But, the Lumberjack isn't among them!:sad:

So, what makes that one song so outstanding in the UK? There MUST be a story explaining that?:daydreaming:

Shelly Preston
08-23-2018, 02:29 PM
I remember Cleese & Palin arguing over a Norwegian Blue

Teresa
08-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Shelly,
I was wondering if any pet shops from that period used the sketch as an ad feature saying , " All our cage birds are real , none of them are nailed to their perches !"

Can someone please find a link to the song for Sherry , she could be missing out on a new style of outfit !

Helen_Highwater
08-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Here's a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts)

AngelaYVR
08-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Sadly, our mighty forests all seem to be on fire at the moment but I did pick some wild flowers today!

Cynthia T
08-23-2018, 08:40 PM
I have loved the Pythons since I caught the Deadly Joke sketch in the '70's. BUT -- I don't much care for the Lumberjack song! Frequently, when I want to dress, my S.O. starts singing it....

Now, the Cheese Shop sketch....

colleen ps
08-24-2018, 06:21 AM
No it couldn't

Yes!
It could!!!!!

Becky Blue
08-24-2018, 08:37 AM
I looved the argument sketch all time classic

Helen_Highwater
08-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Yes!
It could!!!!!

Colleen,

This could turn into the longest thread ever!!

Tina Davis
08-24-2018, 01:49 PM
No, it won't.

Teresa
08-24-2018, 02:23 PM
It's all very well you arguing over the argument sketch but you've all forgotten about my decorating , at least someone could offer to hold my ladder if I fall off I could end up doing a silly walk and please don't argue over it otherwise someone might get smacked across the head with a wet fish !!

Gillian Gigs
08-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Teresa, I would love to help you except for two things. One, I live in the forests of Canada. Two, one of my favourite lines is to say, "and now for something completely different". My fear is you would come down from the ladder and change into a new outfit! You would have to feed me, spam and chips, maybe.

Bobbi46
08-24-2018, 04:37 PM
I know what I would like to be smacked around the head with and I am not talking fish!

DIANEF
08-24-2018, 05:10 PM
I looved the argument sketch all time classic

No it isn't..........

Becky Blue
08-24-2018, 06:26 PM
Yes it is and by the way I may be arguing in my spare time

Helen_Highwater
08-24-2018, 07:14 PM
And what did the Romans (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc)ever do for us?

This thread could run and run. It's an treasure trove of comic genius. Has anyone mentioned the Goons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nebe1zuEtbc)? And for pure British comic genius, Pete and Dud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wejNjdPndLI).

susan jackson
08-25-2018, 12:29 AM
Stop it. This is getting silly!

AngelaYVR
08-25-2018, 03:24 AM
Has anyone mentioned the Goons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nebe1zuEtbc)?

Needlenoddlenoo Helen! Thinks: I've got the entire set of long-play cardboard episodes.
Favourite lines from The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler of Bexhill-on-Sea between Minnie and Henry:
You can't shoot elephants in England you know! (And why not?) They're out of season!

Helen_Highwater
08-25-2018, 04:15 AM
The classic line from Eccles, "He's fallen in the water". Out of context you think how can that be funny but if you're in the know....I must find a link.

Leslie Langford
08-25-2018, 02:09 PM
And what did the Romans (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc)ever do for us?

This thread could run and run. It's an treasure trove of comic genius. Has anyone mentioned the Goons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nebe1zuEtbc)? And for pure British comic genius, Pete and Dud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wejNjdPndLI).

...and let's not forget Hancock's Half Hour and The Two Ronnies.

As for Benny Hill...I could take him or leave him...an acquired taste IMHO, and a brand of humour that doesn't necessarily resonate with me. I do, however, give him props for all of his crossdressing-related skits at a time when showcasing this activity was still strictly non-mainstream and somewhat risque'.

DIANEF
08-25-2018, 03:38 PM
British comedians Dick Emery and Stanley Baxter of the same era were also well known for taking on female roles in their shows.

Teresa
08-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Helen,
Pete and Dud were maybe a little more risque but the sketch I loved was when Dud had applied for an acting role as Tarzan with only one leg and Pete tried to be so kind letting him down as unsuitable because he was defficient in the leg department .

As for the Goons well it did contain some of the best comedians . As for the saying you quoted , " He's fallen in der water ! " I had a group of people in stitches when I came out with it when someone had an accident and stood waist deep in a water tank .

Becky Blue
08-27-2018, 03:22 AM
No one has mentioned Fawlty Towers yet so I will... Basil: A satisfied customer. We should have him stuffed.

susan54
08-27-2018, 04:09 AM
Stanley Baxter often dressed as a woman in his sketches and broke new ground in being the first person (not just the first man) to impersonate the Queen.

Python had a few good sketches like the ones mentioned here but you had to wade through an awful lot of unfunny pretentious drivel to get to these.

Helen_Highwater
08-27-2018, 04:10 AM
Becky,

Who can forget;

Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...

Becky Blue
08-27-2018, 04:23 AM
Python had a few good sketches like the ones mentioned here but you had to wade through an awful lot of unfunny pretentious drivel to get to these.

Pretentious moi?

Beverley Sims
08-27-2018, 05:16 AM
Helen I have stayed in Torquay, if I peered out of the right side of the bay window I could see water, mind you in winter Torquay is not overcrowded with tourists.

I did not see Basil the hamster, dead pigeons, a stags head, or a gnome, and there was no fire drill.

Leslie, I just read your post, I have been to Tintajel too.

Not to mention Dartmoor, Regents Park, The Tay Bridge and many other scenic sights of Grate Britain and Wales. :-)

Who has been to Bal Ham gateway of the south where there is the trade of toothbrush holesmanship where the holes are inserted in toothbrush blanks manually or once a year.

The ever changing lights... Red to Yellow then green and back to Red again.

Oh! I could go on.