PDA

View Full Version : This made me smile

Charlotte7
08-23-2018, 05:35 AM
Based on the premise (that probably wasn't said by Phineas T Barnum), that "There's no such thing as bad publicity", I smiled when doing today's Guardian cryptic crossword when I came to 26 across: Annoyed one preparing for TV (5,7). I suppose we here have an inbuilt advantage with this one :) ;) :) But, as must have been said by someone, there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

Krea
08-23-2018, 06:16 AM
Yes, that's a goodun! :heehee:
As you say, anything is better than nothing.

alwayshave
08-23-2018, 06:30 AM
I don't get the annoyed part.

Krea
08-23-2018, 06:34 AM
Annoyed = "cross" :)

Elizabeth G
08-23-2018, 07:30 AM
I'm a big crossword fan especially when the clues are creative - I love it!

Beverley Sims
08-23-2018, 07:54 AM
On the other hand, I am hopeless at X words.

I think you have to do them for a while to get the hang of it.

That is one clue I may have picked up. :-)

Teresa
08-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Charlotte,
I wonder if the compiler is a CDer , did you work out the answer ?

Sorry Krea I did need your clue to deduce the answer ! It's funny how some days the brain can fly through cryptic questions and others the penny doesn't drop !

Charlotte7
08-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Teresa, yes of course I got it, which is why I shared it :) There was another clue today which might interest you in particular Teresa: In that place (South America) for May? (7)

Elizabeth, it's great to have another crossword fan on the forum

Beverley, you're correct, at first you can't necessarily work them out yourslef, you need someone to show you the rules of how they work. For me it was my SO. That seems to be a fair swap in the relationship, She gave me crosswords, I gave her cross dressing :)

2B Natasha
08-23-2018, 10:57 AM
And remember. The English style of crosswords is different the the American ones. I can do American crosswords do to the fact I grew up with them. English ones flummox me to no end for some reason.

Charlotte7
08-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Natasha, please accept that my tongue is fully in my cheek as I ask if your struggles with English crosswords are due to Americans' inability to spell words in English? Two people separated by a common language and all that :)