PDA

View Full Version : Dressing and cheap tights

Bobbi46
09-07-2018, 06:52 AM
I found out the hard way of buying cheap tights was not the way to go because the other day I put a pair on, thought all was well, went out to my car and as I was moving my legs into the car the inevitable happened! one of the seams went off with a very loud ripsnorting flatulance sound luckily I was at home when it happened if it had occurred whilst bending down in the supermarket I boggle to think at the looks I would have got!!
I did laugh a lot afterwards!

alwayshave
09-07-2018, 07:10 AM
Bobbi, while you are France and cannot go to Walmart (I assume), they have a very inexpensive house brand that I have used and have been happy with.

phili
09-07-2018, 07:32 AM
The tights manufacturers have all sorts of techniques, and runless tights exist, and then there are those that, for the same price, run when I touch them. The tiniest dry skin burrs on my hands, of which there are many, run the dang things just trying to put them on! Or if I get them on, the burrs on my dry toes split them in a short time walking! I finally found some tough ones, but I am a challenge. I am laughing imagining a television ad series about tights...

Bobbi46
09-07-2018, 07:42 AM
I do have however some others which are more expensive and fit better it was just that i saw the n"dodgy" in my size that i thought I would give them a try little did O know what the outcome would be.
By the way I have had a quick look and there is a Walmart here it is walmart.ca/fr makes me think ,that over here we are linked into the French speaking part of Canada, just a thought but thank you for your info I will look more deeply into them.

colleen ps
09-07-2018, 08:00 AM
I believe that Walmart trade in the UK as ASDA and if that is true, i tried their in house brand and found the exact same thing. I now by my cheap daily hose from Primark and they are fine.

Linda E. Woodworth
09-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Hi Bobbi,

If out shopping and your tights self destruct then just do what any woman would do. Pop into the ladies WC and take them off and go bare legged.

Then again if you bought another pair while out you could reverse the process and put the new ones on!

Teresa
09-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Bobbi,
You never know it might have started a new trend if they had gone in the middle of the supermarket , in fact they may have even donated a free pair if you showed how good they looked to other customers . Like I said 37" is a lot of ground to cover the tights gave up and said , " No way (Jose)Hose !!

Beverley Sims
09-07-2018, 09:09 AM
I think the problem arises whether they are cheap or not.

Rachael Leigh
09-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Oh my goodness lol, well sometimes we girls have to deal with such things helps us appreciate our wives and ex’s running
a pair of hose even more.

Carole
09-07-2018, 09:19 AM
With legs your length Bobbi, a ladder in your tights would reach to the stars; cheap tights are for bank robbers to cover their faces. I nearly always wear John Lewis' own brand of control or sleek tights, they also sell ladder resistant ones.

Wildaboutheels
09-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Tights or pantyhose, same rules apply.

ALWAYS use cheap disposable plastic gloves on your hands when putting on and

2) Smooth your feet and especially your toes and heels and then dip in water and dry. I use both plain old 80 grit sandpaper and a small multipurpose variable speed handgrinder for smoothing at least a couple of times a week even though I very rarely wear tights or pantyhose.

Lotion also works wonders even w/o sanding.

susan54
09-07-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm with Carole on this one. Cheap tights do not feel as good as pricier ones and my favourite sheer tights are from John Lewis too (apart from Wolford ones but they are very pricey). Aristoc and Falke also have lovely ones. You get what you pay for but it might not apply to durability - I find the John Lewis ones run a bit too readily.

Rhonda Jean
09-07-2018, 11:12 AM
I said in another thread I haven't worn pantyhose in years. Thank goodness! I just looked up Wolford tights. Holy crap! I had no idea how expensive!

40 years ago my new wife and I both worked near-minimum-wage jobs and we both wore pantyhose every day. For a long time I wouldn't wear hose with a run in them even though I was wearing them under slacks or jeans. She wouldn't, of course, because she was usually wearing skirts or dresses. She'd go through about 2 pair a week and I'd go through about one pair a week. We wore Leggs or Haynes, but even with those it seemed like we were going broke (not far to go!) buying pantyhose. I eventually started wearing hers after she got a run in them. Under jeans it didn't really matter.

Bobbi46
09-07-2018, 04:36 PM
With legs my length a leg up at any time would be a great help!!LoL the more expensive ones that I have, which I can get quite easily are a good fit €6.50 for 2 pairs so not too bad but only me could have a pair of tights that have the ability to make rude noises! Its life! Maybe whoever invented tights had the CD world in their sights waiting for interesting happennings to his/her invention
Maybe I could write a book on the highs and lows of tights!

Krea
09-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Like Colleen, i buy my tights from Primark.
Usually 40 - 80 denier for the colder weather. Considering how cheap they are, i find they last really well, which is great on my limited budget. :thumbsup:

Shirley Anne
09-08-2018, 04:11 PM
When BHS stores went bust a few years ago there main supplierCourtalds also went to the wall, Courtalds were the owners of Pretty Polly whos everday tights and stockings were fairly reasonable for the price. Since then all the supermarket and some department stores own brand hosiery quality has plumetted, this leads me to think that Pretty Polly was the main supplier of tights in this country. Although you can still see tights branded as Pretty Polly there more decorative tights and I would assume the rights to the name have been purchased by some other company.

docrobbysherry
09-09-2018, 12:30 AM
I'm confused again. I wear tites every time I dress. I buy my tites at a ballet supply store. They r skin toned, completely opaque, and cost from $6 up. And don't run or rip at the seams, no matter how much I abuse them or how many holes r punched in them!:doh:

I sounds like u r describing nylons or pantie hose? Which tear and run quite easily. :straightface:

Bobbi46
09-09-2018, 05:04 AM
Sherruy, Yes I am talking about hose