PDA

View Full Version : NEW ...cleaning question

ashlee chiffon
03-19-2006, 12:58 PM
welll...yesterday DanaJ *hugs and squeezes, thanks* came to my wig washing question on "tips on how to" and it came out great, btw, Dana! Lost some of the origingal wave, but relaxed after the wash, it came out so kewl it looks soooo sexy~

My NEW question: Any shortcuts to drycleaning a lycra/spandex blend skirt *OR...any drycleaning shortcuts at all!*??
Its so expensive here in calif to take in several items to the drycleaning...
just wondering if there is any handlaundering tips? I'm used to it as i handwash all my lingerie and panties...they last soooo much longer that way!

any help from anyone, greatly appreciated!!
Happy Sunday~ *its sooo windy in Calif. today...chilllllly*

*sitting here doing my nails*

Ashley in Virginia
03-19-2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.dryel.com/

Give this a try.

GypsyKaren
03-19-2006, 01:33 PM
We also use Dryel, it works half way decent.

Karen

Jodi
03-19-2006, 10:46 PM
When I worked at New York & Co and the Limited, we had many items with lycra that were labeled dry clean only. What we found out is that it is put on there because there is a large percentage of the population that does not have a clue as to how to do laundry properly. These items can be successfully laundered. They must be washed in cold water with like colors. If not sure of the color fastness, launder the item by itself. Use the gentle cycle if the item is delicate. Then either hang to dry or lay the item flat on a towel to dry. Do not put the item in a hot dryer. Blazers, on the other hand, must be dry cleaned to maintain the shape of the garment. A large part of my wardrobe says dryclean only. I have successfully laundered all of the items.

Jodi

Billijo49504
03-20-2006, 12:59 AM
I agree, I just washed a blouse that was dry clean only, and it turned out great. Just got to hit it with a warm iron...BJ

ashlee chiffon
03-20-2006, 01:24 AM
i'll try both methods *dryall and hand washing* and appreciate the help...can get pretty expensive here in calif. if you take dresses and skirts to the drycleaners very often!
*hugs*

mudanjel
03-24-2006, 01:14 AM
...a girl could ever want :D.

I was a drycleaner for 12 years and found out thru experience what a racket/ripoff it is. :evil: But I do want to include this advice about handwashing a couple other fabrics:

Handwashing rayon DC only items can result in disappointment. Not only can rayon shrink a great deal in water, but the soft drapeable qualities of the fabric may be changed into a thick, shrunken fabric that the wrinkles won't press out of. Additionally, the rayon may shrink while the thread remains the same, resulting in puckered seams. The dyes may also run. (On a good day, it'll run into a pleasing tie-dye pattern.)

Handwashing silk most likely will change it from a smooth, well...silky texture to one that basically remains the same but the wrinkles won't press out. The threads weaving the smoothness break and no iron in the world will restore them. Again, dyes may run esp. if they're dark.

Acetates and satins (DC only) can behave badly with handwashing in these ways also.

And now for a little inside info:

If your drycleaner says they want to wetclean your item, it means the staff will handwash it and charge you up the wazoo. *Drycleaning* means the garment is cleaned in a liquid solvent that does not include H20 and *Wetcleaning* means that it's cleaned with water. Do not fall for this; everyone will laugh.

ashlee chiffon
03-24-2006, 03:54 AM
so much to know and so little time...
guess i'll stick to handwashing my panties and with what i know!
thanks for that insight! *hugs*

cindybarnes
03-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Hmm I had a dry cleaning tip (ex cleaner also) but now I cant remember it,, was distracted LOL

Cindy