PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a house

Stephanie Michelle
10-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Been looking for a house for a year. Lost a couple for unknown reasons. Will close at end of month. One of my first protests is to build Stephanie room with a closet and make up area storage for all the accessories. It will be a hidden room with special hidden access so anyone gets near it they don't know there is a room. After 4 years of storage time to dust off the clothes, update the make up and buy some new threads and shoes. perfect timing sine its October

nvlady
10-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Aha, the old secret passage hidden behind a moveable bookcase.

docrobbysherry
10-05-2018, 12:14 AM
Congratulations, Steph! Home ownership is a cornerstone of our democracy!:thumbsup:

Fran in skirts
10-05-2018, 12:24 AM
Glad to hear you are joining the home owner brigade. You will find that your free time will be a little less now that you have the up keep of a home. But IT is worth it for sure!!

Fran

bridget thronton
10-05-2018, 01:35 AM
Congratulations

Teresa
10-05-2018, 03:52 AM
Stepahie,
Congratulations ! I know how it feels , OK for some of us it does come at a price .

When I did my move I decided the hiding was finally over , so no secrets from anyone and no need for hidden closets . I have two double fitted wardrobes in my bedroom which anyone is free to look in , the first one has a few male things and the other is beginning to overflow so the male side now the male side is being taken over . Sounds familiar doesn't it ?

Enjoy your freedom to dress and go out as you please , I know I do . ( My avatar picture was taken in front of my new home just before going out for the evening ).

Crissy 107
10-05-2018, 05:06 AM
Owning a home is a new adventure in your life and one that has many rewards and benefits, sounds like cross dressing in a way. You are the king of your castle, errr maybe the queen, but you get what I mean.
Enjoy and good luck! Crissy

alwayshave
10-05-2018, 05:10 AM
Stephanie, congratulations.

Rayleen
10-05-2018, 06:55 AM
Congratulations, owning a home priceless. You can be the king or Queen, whatever your heart desire.

Enjoy.

Maid_Marion
10-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Yes, it can be a lot of work, but the entire neighborhood enjoys my garden. Especially after I re-arranged the front yard so it is in bloom all season long! From daffodils and the cherry tree in the Spring to roses that bloom until the hard frosts of fall!

Congratulations on your new home!

Maria in heels
10-05-2018, 07:14 AM
Congratulations Stephanie! Sounds like you have everything planned out and hope that all goes off smoothly

Beverley Sims
10-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a good plan, may it be a success for you.

Tracy Irving
10-05-2018, 08:42 AM
A hidden room with hidden access. Sounds like fun. Enjoy!

sometimes_miss
10-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Aha, the old secret passage hidden behind a moveable bookcase.
I can't read something like this without my thoughts going here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO3qJGKs9gw

Now that the laughs are through, I recently purchased a house as well, but simply put a lock on my closet and bedrooms. A friend did ask me why I have locks on them, I simply answered that I have plenty of guests, and don't ever want to have to suspect anyone of stealing things. The old 'fences make good neighbors' concept. Which is true, because I have a model train setup with plenty of valuable items that could be easily pocketed. FWIW, these are the door 'knobs' that I have used: https://www.grainger.com/product/5U742?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281733070928!!!s!471320294288!&ef_id=W30-swAACX1MEBGW:20181005173821:s&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9zdBRDgARIsAL5Nyn0J36hKTKwH0iVVc7eC Hp8qiQJujeEVa-C3_WV9wKbUwoL1d3hmwgEaAhDUEALw_wcB
Easy to use; pressing the combination in becomes pretty much automatic after a short while, and you can never lock yourself out.

Robertacd
10-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Why would feel the need to go to all of that effort to hide your things in your own house?

What kind of friends do you have?

We have owned our house for 20 years now and I cannot think of a single time any guest, friend or family ever ventured into our bedroom without being invited.

Asew
10-05-2018, 01:07 PM
I was thinking adams family bookcase, with a slide and all :)

Congrats on the house!

AllieSF
10-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Lot's of justifiable reasons Roberta. Dressing for some is very personal and private and being found out can definitely alter some peoples' lives very negatively. Some people are very friendly and open about many things but not their private lives. Some people are very friendly and trusting of others like good friends, friends and even neighbors, like, "I left the papers on my bed. You can go get them there.", and a thousand other reasons. It is not bad or incorrect for one to be in the closet as they personally define in their closet! Maybe you don't have a lot of friends over who can use one of your bathrooms or would be told to get the papers off of your bed. Maybe you are totally out and expect every other person to be like you. We are all different and not necessarily wrong in our differences.

Robertacd
10-05-2018, 01:18 PM
I hear what you are saying Allie, but a secret room seems a little over the top. Besides unless it's a mansion, it's going to be easy to tell there's a room there if you have any sense of space.

AllieSF
10-05-2018, 01:28 PM
I agree that the layout in a traditional tract home where most are similar in basic layout, maybe a few different layouts, with only minor changes on the outside. Maybe in a basement where you wall off one complete end and put other rooms in front of it? Who knows, but she seems to have a plan, which I would be very interested in seeing because my Dad was a custom home builder.

Charona
10-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Personally, I think house ownership is a very mixed blessing. You become completely responsible for repairs and maintenance. You can make some changes if you want, but major changes might require building permits. If you are part of a Home Owners Association (HOA) you may find yourself restricted in many surprising ways. As long as property taxes exist you will be making payments to the government for the privilege of living in your own house. If for some reason you want to move, the house ties you down. Nonetheless, I wish you well.

Teresa
10-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Charona,
No better way to secure your money in the UK , I feel the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages , rented property is just money down the drain also you still have to pay council taxes .
I must agree with Roberta on hidden rooms , coming out to friends and neighbours isn't so bad , my neighbours are great and I've actually found out which freinds I can now trust . If people come visiting and they all know why would they need to go snooping , they only have to ask and I'll show them my outfits and shoes .

Tracii G
10-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Congrats being a homeowner is a great thing.
Secret rooms are well worth the time and effort you will love it.

sometimes_miss
10-05-2018, 03:29 PM
If you are part of a Home Owners Association (HOA) you may find yourself restricted in many surprising ways.
^This is something that we all need to be very aware of. My friend had purchased his retirement home in one of those developments; and is now stuck with being told how he can paint and decorate his house, what trees he can plant AND which ones he's not allowed to remove, he's even prohibited from parking two cars in his driveway even though there's more than enough room for them. Not to mention, the mandatory monthly fees that can quickly cause your own budget to stretch even if the so called 'improvements' don't actually improve your own property. All this isn't a big problem if you have a lot of money, but for those on a fixed income and aren't well off, it's probably not necessarily a good idea. Be careful when purchasing your next home.

Tracii G
10-05-2018, 04:21 PM
When I bought my last house I went across the street to where they didn't have a homeowners assn.
Why pay to be told what you can and cannot do to your own property.

Lana Mae
10-05-2018, 05:14 PM
I bought my home because the landlord was selling the house I was renting right out from under us! The home I bought is less for the mortgage than the rent in this area! Taxes and insurance are in with the mortgage and I am not in an area with a home owners association! I pay some one to take care of the yard due to my COPD! I have a small emergency checking account for whatever needs to be done! It is mine, cost less than rent, and is home! Much success with yours! Hugs Lana Mae

Bobbi46
10-05-2018, 05:16 PM
There's nothing like having your own home especially if you are on your own to do just as you please as and when you like, its heaven just the same as dressing is heaven.

nvlady
10-05-2018, 06:21 PM
I paid my house off fifteen years ago. My taxes and insurance probably add up to $150 per month at the maximum. If I was renting, I would probably be paying $1000 per month, and somebody would be able to tell me whether or not I could have my dog.
I have been purchasing or have owned my own home for forty three years and have been able to give both of my children their own homes.

Wiccle
10-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Congratulations on the new home Stephanie, it's very inspiring & free-feeling - eventually all the ideas & plans you have dreamt of can come to fruition. I rented for 2 years then the big day came & everything of importance shall we say was moved in some stealthy operations in 20-min walks between the 2 housing estates!

In terms of a secret room I don't thing there can be such a thing - every aspect of volume can be worked out & questioned if need be. Have a rearrangement plan should you need to use it e,g people staying, work personnel need access etc.

Stability is the foundation for innovation & well-being.

All the best
-W-

BLUE ORCHID
10-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Hi Stephanie :hugs:, Congratulations It sounds like you have a good plan. >Orchid ..+:daydreaming:+..

Heather J
10-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Congratulations. My house is paid off but I've been unemployed for almost 3 years now, county suing for back taxes probably going to take it on the 30th.

Crissy 107
10-06-2018, 11:01 PM
When I bought my last house I went across the street to where they didn't have a homeowners assn.
Why pay to be told what you can and cannot do to your own property.
Is this ever the truth, stay away from homeowners associations as the board members are all self serving. Crissy

Fran in skirts
10-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Home owners associations are the biggest group of communist I have ever seen. They are down right dictators and sue you for the slightest infractions, making you pay a fine most of which are pocketed by the associations lawyers. Never buy where there is an HOA. You will regret it. One place where My daughter lived they had rules saying that you had to have permission to do any work on the inside of your home not just the outside. If you wanted to repaint the walls you had to get permission. If you wanted to remodel the kitchen you needed permission. If you went out of town for any reason and your grass grew up past the 3 inch hight required by the HOA they would come in and cut the grass and you would then have to pay for the cutting and be fined a large sum as well.
So don't buy in to an HOA.

Mermaiden
10-07-2018, 03:43 PM
That’s great, congrats Stephanie. I love the idea of a secret room and thought about it in my house but didn’t convince my wife. If you can do the upgrades and maintenance yourself you can save a lot of money, and if you can add the secret room without a building certificate or inspection, it will be a lot less hassle (just follow building code for safety).