PDA

View Full Version : Beg Your Pardon?

marika_jaye
10-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Today, while waiting for my order to be made at Taco Bell, I was playing a game on my phone. The on-duty manager, a rather abrasive lady, looks right at me and says, "Are you waiting for something, ma'am?"

I looked up, slightly amused, and replied, "Ma'am?" After a moment, she corrected herself and called me Sir.

Normally I'd be overjoyed to be seen as female, but in this instance, I was presenting as "male" as could be. Heavy metal hoodie, fire hose pants, sneakers...nothing remotely feminine about it. The only thing I can imagine that confused the woman was my hair. The way I wore it when I went out last month is basically the way it looks in male mode, which is why I usually wear a ballcap.

For a brief moment at a Taco Bell, I passed without trying. LOL

Beverley Sims
10-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Oh well, a missed opportunity there, you should have dressed better. :-)

phili
10-13-2018, 12:50 AM
I think hair is as powerful a symbol of gender as clothing- and a haircut that looks and feels feminine would be a clue for an employee who had just been through gender training to try to do the right thing as she understood it. Or maybe she just saw you that way- which was perceptive- you were in male drag! Or maybe she was trying to annoy another counterculture guy... GO back again and see what happens!

marika_jaye
10-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Oh well, a missed opportunity there, you should have dressed better. :-)

LOL!

I didn't get a chance to wear anything feminine on that day. I'm off work on Monday & Tuesday. After a bit of makeup practice, I may work up an appetite and have to go in for some nachos. 😏 👜👠

donnalee
10-13-2018, 12:11 PM
I've had that happen to me when seen from the back; they usually change to sir with an apology once they see my face.

Fran in skirts
10-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Today, while waiting for my order to be made at Taco Bell, I was playing a game on my phone. The on-duty manager, a rather abrasive lady, looks right at me and says, "Are you waiting for something, ma'am?"

If I were the person she spoke to like that I would have give some lip back. People in the position of dealing with the general public need to be at the very least pleasant but should be courteous at all times. Saying that in an abrasive manner would have me on the phone to the district manager and filing a formal complaint against her.

Fran

CynthiaD
10-13-2018, 02:32 PM
I've gotten ma'am'ed in male mode a few times, and I enjoy it.

I've also gotten the "are you waiting for something?" or better yet "are you in line here?" I'm always tempted to say, "Is there some other reason I'd be standing here?" but I'm always polite.

docrobbysherry
10-13-2018, 02:37 PM
I've said this over and over. On duty working folks r usually just trying to do their job.

So, if they call me ma'am or sir, no matter how I'm dressed, I don't think much of it. As long as they do their job properly, the reason I came in, I'm thrilled!:thumbsup: