PDA

View Full Version : Wig Question

Rexy Lee
03-20-2006, 09:08 AM
As you know a wig can be found for as little as $25 and as high as $400 (more or less) and there are synthetic and real hair.

Does anyone have any specific experiance as to the best way to go?

Thanks

lookin1219
03-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Rexy,You look lovely dear!I've been told to stay with synthetic.They don't lose the color as quickly as human hair & they also feel very much like human hair wigs.That's been my exprience hunny!Good luck & Kisses,Jules

SexxxyBrianna
03-20-2006, 09:31 AM
I can tell you that a wig made from human hair will have to be styled all the time like real hair (cause it is).:eek: The synthetic type will maintain their style better. Go to a wig store before buying a cheapo online. They can explain all the pros & cons of the diferent types. Be sure and feel the texture as some are really nice. I ended up with a $200 wig that my GG and & share :GD: We want to get some more, we just haven't had any time to go wig shopping. Let us know what you decide on Rexy Lee.

sharifemme
03-20-2006, 10:17 AM
If you go for human hair, you can have it cut, styled, dyed, and even permed like you can with your own hair. If you go synthetic, you are limited to pretty much the way it comes.

An added tip - if you have a synthetic wig that seems to have run it's natural course, you can sometimes revive the color and texture by washing it in Murphy's Oil Soap. And NEVER brush a synthetic wig while it is wet!

Julie York
03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
It depends what you want it for. If you haven't yet fixed yourself on a particular style then synthetics are cheap and fun to experiment with. (You can buy 6 synthetic wigs for 1 real hair!)

And if you only go to CD social events then no-one cares if it looks a little unreal because it is only for the fun.

Good luck.

Ranee Daze
03-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Wig shops are only too happy to help out CD's. They are in the business of moving out stock and don't really care whose heads they are on as they leave out the door. I'm in Ottawa and some great resources are The Bay on Rideau St. (In fact, lots of Bay stores in Canada have wig salons which feature 'First Lady' and Revlon) and Freda's and Caralyn's. If you go there enfemme they all will let you try on dozens of wigs so you can test out the look and feel of the various styles and materials. I tryed a whole bunch of Revlons at The Bay yesterday and I think the saleslady had as much fun as I did. Mostly these people are dealing with old ladies, alopecia patients and cancer patients. A bubbly bouncy CD really makes their day.

SexxxyBrianna
03-23-2006, 08:31 PM
If you go for human hair, you can have it cut, styled, dyed, and even permed like you can with your own hair. If you go synthetic, you are limited to pretty much the way it comes.

I looked at human hair wigs, but who wants to do all that work to a wig. Buy the different styles you like and just put on the one that strikes your mood. Just like your own hair needs styling everyday, so would your human hair wig. I have seen nice HH wigs for the same prices as synthetic, I still went with synthetic. Our wig store says they sell many more synthetic just for this reason.

Joy Carter
03-23-2006, 08:40 PM
What about size ?I have large head and bought two synthetic ones in large and was disapointed they didn't look bad just uncomfortable.

Robin
03-23-2006, 08:43 PM
It depends what you want it for. If you haven't yet fixed yourself on a particular style then synthetics are cheap and fun to experiment with. (You can buy 6 synthetic wigs for 1 real hair!)

And if you only go to CD social events then no-one cares if it looks a little unreal because it is only for the fun.

Good luck.

I just bought my first wig online, from an advertiser I found here (beautytrends.com), and have had a ball with it. It is not the best wig in the world and not the only one I WILL own, but I've learned several things and the total cost on sale was less than $20. Pretty hard to go wrong there.

CharlaineCadence
03-23-2006, 08:54 PM
theirs a seller on ebay that sells wounderfull wigs i have for or five from him. their made well and they are comfertable. Their microfiber and are able to be made the way to wat at local salons who know how to style wigs. his name is i thing enghaldark or something like that i will need to edit this post later when i look it up. but i will warn you the only down side i have with this company is that theirs 4 people who read emails and none talk to each other so you have to stay on them. any problems as long as you keep in constand polite communucation are resolved fast.

Charlene Marie
03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Rexy. By the look of your avatar you are doing everything right, you look very pretty. Generally speaking, synthetic wigs, if they are of good quality, will suit you fine. A good one will run about $80.00 give or take. But if it's a quality one, you can have it cut and thinned out and styled just for your face.
Generaly, a wig right out of the box will look like a WIG, no matter what you do. Human hair is actually harder to style, especially on your own, but it does feel very natural. I wear my own hair today, but I have many wigs, and I have styled wigs and peoples natural hair in a Salon. Hope that helps. If I can help you more, send me a PM.

Again, you and your hair look great.

Jodi
03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
I have all synthetic wigs. This is by choice. I don't want the aggrevation of setting and styling a human hair wig. I like to just shake it out and go. For the most presentability when out, I recommend that you put your money into your wig. A cheap wig is just that--cheap and usually looks it. I've shown my stylist many pictures of my friends from the Erie Gala and Girls night out. She will pick out the cheap wigs on girls and explain why they look bad, ie fit, wrong style, wrong color, bad hair filament, etc. What you put into your hair depends upon what you want from yourself. If you wish to go out in the mainstream to straight venues, by all means, go to a wig salon and get the best wig you can afford.

Jodi