PDA

View Full Version : Will we be seeing more tolerance/acceptance......

CarlaWestin
11-19-2018, 08:20 AM
.....because of a younger generation of gender travelers and their more considerate view of transgenderism in society?
The generation before me (really effin' old) were demonized and labled if discovered outside the approved gender confines.
Mine not so much. And nowadays, I barely get acknowledged when clocked. There is a wonderful air of acceptance out there.
A lot of times it's corporate mandated politeness but I find that people generally don't care what you wear.

I think it's getting better for us. How do you feel?

dara_nyc
11-19-2018, 08:29 AM
I live in NYC. The Trans and CD presence is more visible. I probably see people in various states of transition and dress on a daily basis. Of course, it's more accepting here and I wish it was the same in other states and cities. But I feel the movement happening! As for me, I get to dress twice a week to therapy and back. It's baby steps and I hope to join the others in public...soon.

Rachelish
11-19-2018, 08:48 AM
I think that just as we (of a certain age) lived through times when homosexuality became more accepted as mainstream, I see our children's generation viewing transgender issues in a much more positive light.

Whether that would include their parents is a moot point :straightface:

Roxanne Lanyon
11-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Yes, I can sense it as well. It is just not what it used to be. I just wish the feeling will move outside of urban areas and slide into the more "small town" and rural environment. I lived in an era of being chastised, hated if you even thought of crossdressing, and now, well, it is so prevelant. I just hope I will be around when I can put on my pretty dress and heels, and take a leisurely stroll through my neighborhood! How I wish for that day! I want to show everyone how much I love being Roxanne!

Roxanne Lanyon, Forever!

Teresa
11-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Carla,
One question , do you feel your passing skills are better ?

Doing it on a daily basis passing , being read or clocked hardly figures with me , what people actually see as I walk passed them is hard to say , I feel so normal I don't see people looking as anything negative . I have to say these thoughts or experiences are spread right through the age groups, genders and most types of environments .

Stacy Darling
11-19-2018, 09:26 AM
I push the boundaries every day babe. the want is my end!

It's improving!

Stacy!

Charlotte7
11-19-2018, 09:42 AM
I think that the simple answer to this is yes, we will. There have been many changes for the better over the course of our lifetime.

Krisi
11-19-2018, 09:49 AM
I think you will see what you want to see.

MonicaPVD
11-19-2018, 09:54 AM
I think there has been considerable progress on the coasts and in larger cosmopolitan areas. Unfortunately, my travels through the heartland have not been very heartening. Still lots of people with hangups, although I have never felt threatened or unsafe. Progress!

Bobbi46
11-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Most definately, one only has to watch television and see a greater prevalence of documentaries and dramas addressing all sorts of gender issues and also bringing out and making more people aware that these issues being addressed in this way are bringing about a huge change in peoples acceptance.

Alice Torn
11-19-2018, 11:11 AM
I think yes, and no. In some cultures yes, and in some, we are tortured or killed if found out.

Fran-K
11-19-2018, 11:14 AM
I’m afraid I have to agree with Monica, with one qualification.
The way that populations have been shifting means that the areas where we are not very welcome will probably increase in physical size and will get less welcoming ... but those areas represent smaller and smaller portions of the population because of the constant migration of people to urban areas, which tend to be more welcoming (and the unwelcoming people who move to those welcoming areas either moderate their dislike of us, or their kids do). This population shift is not just in the US, western Europe certainly has it too.

Fran

docrobbysherry
11-19-2018, 12:05 PM
The current political situation is not very LGBT friendly. But, that will pass. Meanwhile, the fact that all Americans hear and see more about trans every day. :daydreaming:

I feel that constant stream of info is a positive influence. Since trans don't do seem to bad things in public, that is helping to normalize things for most of us!:thumbsup:

Alice Torn
11-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Let's please keep politics and bashing anyone out please.

GracieRose
11-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Thank you Alice.
I hear a lot here saying that they are seeing increased acceptance / tolerance over time by the general public.
That is what is important, not what laws are passed by politicians.
Changes come slowly through a change of heart by the populace.
That appears to be happening.
This is good.

Leslie Mary S
11-19-2018, 01:39 PM
The real indicator is how people feel about gender labeled toilette usage.

Jenny22
11-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Lygophilia, means 'love of darkness'.... not a feminine name. Why did you choose it? Curious.

Allisa
11-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Damn, I thought it was just me getting better with make-up.

Rhonda Jean
11-19-2018, 02:21 PM
I think there is more now, and there'll be even more as time goes on. I think it is a totally different world right now. So much so that I'm not sure I or any of us have a good handle on how different it is. Many kids these days don't have to unlearn anything. They don't have to learn how to be themselves because they've always been allowed to be. Their parents not only tolerate, but encourage and vigorously defend them. They're posting makeup/makeover videos at age 7, doing "drag", living publicly as girls, etc..

Another thing. There seem to be a lot more "pretty" boys. Boys who are indistinguishable from girls. More boys are weight conscious, and aspire to be skinny. A lot of boys seem to gravitate toward and tend to emulate their mothers and sisters. All of this seems to have a place in school and within the family. It is radically different than when most of us grew up. I think a lot of it is a twist on what we've heard for so long, that "girls can do anything boys can do" in reverse.

Lygophilia
11-19-2018, 02:36 PM
Lygophilia, means 'love of darkness'.... not a feminine name. Why did you choose it? Curious.

I have a preference for dark personalities, places, and the night. The name played a strong influence by how others perceive me. The other, is my past. Last, are various subjects opposing what normal is, which tend to be a "love" for me, which is considered dark in the minds of others.

Pixie_94
11-19-2018, 02:52 PM
I doubt it.

Nikki A.
11-19-2018, 03:16 PM
There is more of a tolerance, maybe acceptance than before.
I live in eastern Pennsylvania and I find that I have not had any issues being dressed. I shop and eat out with no repercussions. Even using the ladies room has not been a problem.
Years ago this may have been different.

Asew
11-19-2018, 03:30 PM
It is getting better out there, slowly though.

Stephanie47
11-19-2018, 03:50 PM
I think there is more acceptance for certain segments of the transgender community. And, it also depends where you live. You really have to go to one of the websites that tracks laws protecting transgender men and women. There is strong protection in some states such as Washington State, while other states have zero protection. Based upon the rhetoric among certain politicians the forces to push back on this tide of acceptance, if it exists, is strong. For the most part people really do not care what others do unless it impacts them.

Among people I know there is an acknowledgement transgender men and women may be born into the wrong body. They may not understand it, but, they do not dismiss it as a 'life choice' as some politicians view it. Unfortunately, I see uneven acceptance across the stretch of the map. You're still going to have people who will not socialize with transgender men and women, just as they will not socialize with gays and lesbians. Or, people outside their tight knit group of similar people. Unfortunate, but that is the way I see it.

When it comes to a man who wears women's clothing I foresee less acceptance than for transsexuals because most cross dressers do not proclaim they are born into the wrong body. Gender expression is covered under my state's laws. Certain municipalities provide greater protection than the state. However, I really do not see everyone suddenly inviting a cross dresser wearing female clothing to dinner. A sort of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner!"

Micki_Finn
11-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Yes we’ve made progress but if the last couple of years have taught us anything is that those sorts of social gains are fragile and need to be protected with constant vigilance and advocacy.

Beverley Sims
11-19-2018, 06:47 PM
The world may be falling apart in other places but the acceptance trail is improving in my view.

alwayshave
11-19-2018, 07:05 PM
I believe that in some places there is more acceptance, then you see that three trans women have been killed in Jacksonville FL this year. But I have hope for the future.

Tina June
11-19-2018, 07:27 PM
I live in a very liberal city (sometimes called the San Francisco of the midwest!) and have never had a bad experience while out and about - nothing more than a double take or someone taking a longer look than would be considered normal. I sincerely hope that the rest of the world could catch up to the "Mad City"

Rachael Leigh
11-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Yes, I think we have entered a new phase of some acceptance. As one who dresses mostly non binary now and in makeup
most days, I really see little if anyone paying much attention to me or making comments, that’s not to say once I’m out of
earshot that some negitve comment is made but yes I think most just don’t care. I also am beyond caring what others think
I’m me and nobody lives my life or in my shoes. So I do hope people are coming around and realize we are all just people
different shapes, sizes and dress and looks.

Alice Torn
11-19-2018, 07:42 PM
It all depends on the individuals , or groups of people. Some are very disgusted, some are tolerant, some look the other way. Some will want to hurt of kill us, in some cultures. Most are indifferent, or will talk about us after we are out of earshot. Some will like us.

CarlaWestin
11-19-2018, 08:14 PM

And what's with the evil avatar?

Steph_CD_62
11-19-2018, 09:47 PM
I think there is more acceptance/tolerance than there was 50 years ago, but there is still a long way to go to get 100% acceptance.

I remember growing up as a kid there was a gentleman that wore a woman's coat and some even said a bra (I never saw it). I never made fun of him, but my friends did but never to his face. Back then I didn't understand who I was because I was around 10 years old. My friends now don't fully accept the trans/crossdress but I don't hear them laughing at them any more.

In movies and TV crossdressers were used as a comic relief, but now you can see an occasional crossdresser in a positive role in movies and TV.

I don't ever expect to see where I would be fully accepted where I live, but I hear that in bigger cities they are beginning to be accepted.

There is hope, so never give up.

GeorgeA
11-19-2018, 10:58 PM
Hi, Donna Sassan,
Welcome to our community. You sound like you will be a regular contributor here.

Rachelakld
11-19-2018, 11:42 PM
Political Correctness, our leaders setting an example and our multinationals following suit.
My work partner is Trans and if anyone takes exception in the work place, it could cost them their jobs.

So if you want a culture change, starting at the top makes it easy.

HollyGreene
11-20-2018, 01:37 AM
I guess there will be more acceptance as time goes by.
In the UK, homosexuality was illegal until 1967, and even then, it had to be kept private and you had to be over 21.
Now, we get gay pride marches and open displays of homosexuality.
Gender reassignment is quite common, and it's not the weird thing it used to be.
So CDing must become more acceptable eventually.

Lygophilia
11-20-2018, 07:16 AM
And what's with the evil avatar?

It's the mascot for Disturbed's band "The Guy", was originally just a drawing of a face with a large grin, as seen on the back of the album "The Sickness".

He's been used in many albums since that lived up to the band's name, but he was used as a symbol of freedom from the classic "Land Of Confusion" and "The Vengeful One".

Stacy Darling
11-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Tolerance and acceptance babe?

My community accepts me as a volunteer cook, who else will
cook for the homeless!

Do they accept me as a CD? I may ask that question when next picking someone from the gutter!

Rachelish
11-20-2018, 08:33 AM

Thank you Alice.
I hear a lot here saying that they are seeing increased acceptance / tolerance over time by the general public.
That is what is important, not what laws are passed by politicians.
Changes come slowly through a change of heart by the populace.
That appears to be happening.
This is good.

I understand the sentiment but in reality it's not possible to separate public opinion from politics, and political action is an important driver of cultural change. We would not have seen the repeal of Section 28 in the UK without it, for example.

We are also seeing a trend in policy making away from equality and respect in many countries, including the US and some countries in Europe which I don't think reflects the way most people feel.

No excuse for any bashing though :)

Di
11-20-2018, 09:08 AM
FAIR Warning
Let’s get back to the topic at hand.
Will we be seeing more tolerance/acceptance?

Answer without religion or politics- re read the rules if needed.
No personal back and forth take it to pm.

Will we be seeing more tolerance/acceptance?

This will sadly have to be closed if this continues

RachelPortugal
11-21-2018, 03:05 AM
One just has to read all the "nothing happened" days out amongst the muggles threads, that appear here frequently, to know that in civilised society there is definitely more acceptance and tolerance, possibly because most people are so wrapped up in what they are doing themselves.

Vicky_Scot
11-21-2018, 06:15 AM
IMO we will never be accepted. We are tolerated at best. I would even go as far to ay the Gay community are still in the same boat.

Never confuse acceptance with tolerance. x

t-girlxsophie
11-22-2018, 12:31 AM
Can only speak for the UK and more specifically Scotland,I'm most cetainly of the opinion that tolerance and acceptance levels are improving,I mean if you showed any sign of being less than a real man (their definition of it)up here in years gone by,wasn't thought of well.

Since taking my first tentative steps out and about I can honestly say negative experiences have lessened for me,Yeah of course there's still those that will stare,comment etc,I'm not that naive but in a second there gone and I don't give them a second thought,I'll go about my business and the other 99% will be too busy getting on with theirs to bother with me.

I also think more positive media has helped Trans issues with storylines in series such as Hollyoaks,Just a Girl and Waterloo Road helping get the message across.Long way to a world without prejudice of course but in my part of the world I believe it's improving

Sophie

Vicky_Scot
11-22-2018, 03:12 PM
t-girlxsophie, I too am from Scotland but do not agree with your post. But that is the joy of life, having different points of view. x

t-girlxsophie
11-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Well Vicky we must be going out on different days then :) your right of course be boring if we agreed on everything

phili
11-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Last week when i was out shopping a 20 something girl said- whoa- great outfit! Can I take a picture of it? She got up to look- is it a dress? Where did you get it? Ok- I'll tag the photo for Goodwill! She was happy and so was I. Otherwise, I had normal friendly chats with shopkeepers- no tension at all. I am sure I am not the first CD they have seen, and it is simply not an issue.

I feel total acceptance when out, and I am genderqueer in presentation. People have to adjust for a few seconds, and it can only be easier for everyone else! If you don't have a job or SO or social group to worry about, just go out- it is fine.

Krisi
11-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Men and women have been dressing differently since the beginning of recorded history. It's the same for all cultures, from the jungle to high society. I think it's naïve to believe this will suddenly change during our lifetime.

Now if you wish, you can wear clothes that are not gender specific, at least in western culture. I wear jeans and denim shorts from the women's section. I wear them as a male because they fit and feel better. They don't have sequins or fancy embellishments, they are just slimmer cut jeans. Sneakers are acceptable as men's or women's as long as they are not pink. And of course both men and women can wear tee shirts.

Some cities have a section where "anything goes" but in general, society expects men to dress as men and women to dress as women. Some religions demand that.

Men wearing artificial boobs and hips and wigs and attempting to pass as women has a very long way to go. I suspect that's the line most people won't cross.

Charlotte7
11-26-2018, 10:01 AM
Men wearing artificial boobs and hips and wigs and attempting to pass as women has a very long way to go. I suspect that's the line most people won't cross.

But my experience says that whilst that still happens nowadays some of us are happy to embrace the two sides of our identity be out in the world. People are becoming more aware and this is promoting acceptence. It won't change fully in my lifetime, but as time passes the two gender binary system is breaking down. Yes, there will always be people at each end of the spectrum, but the bridge in the middle will get more crowded.

nancymo4242
11-27-2018, 05:38 PM
It's definitely getting better. At least in Western countries.
I mean, this comes out of experience. I put pictures of mine all dressed up on Tinder, and ladies, this was the most time I ever talked to girls on Tinder. I talked to at least 4 or 5 girls, plus like 10 more who connected with me.
Most were like what are you wearing and why? They were curious not grossed out.
One woman was REALLY into that shit.
She said she would visit my country and we would go out together while I was dressed.
If I ever had gotten to meeting her, then I would definitely have gone out with her dressed up!
There are still unaccepting homo/transphopes who really don't like us or what we do. A couple of ex friends of mine are like that.
However I think most people in the West are like whatever, do what you want.