PDA

View Full Version : Normal in a surreal sort of way.

Helen_Highwater
11-19-2018, 06:57 PM
I was shopping in good old M&S today and picked up a non under wired bra and matching knickers.

At the cash desk got chatting to the SA and she asked what the weather was like outside and I replied in had just stopped raining. She commented that she wasn't so unhappy then to be indoors. I then commented on just how gorgeous the weather had been Sunday.

"I spent all day cleaning because we've just had new central heating so couldn't get out" she replied. Anyway the conversation moved on to discussing the merits of her new combi boiler and just how quickly her home now warmed.

While paying for a skirt in another M&S the SA said what a nice length the skirt was but for her being so small, barely 5', it'd be round her ankles. Her dream at school was to join the police but back then women had to be 5'6" and now her children tower over her so she wished she was taller.

And this for those thinking about going out is just the sort of chitchat that you get while shopping enfemme. Totally normal, human to human. Folks are nice.

Macey
11-19-2018, 07:56 PM
So very encouraging :) keep posting about your week!

docrobbysherry
11-19-2018, 08:11 PM
U and Teresa should go shopping together. U must both be retired to have all that time to chit chat!:heehee:

DIANEF
11-19-2018, 08:35 PM
I know the staff in M&S are very good, someone I used to know worked there and customer relations are an absolute top priority.

Anne E
11-19-2018, 09:04 PM
Thank you for that story, Helen.

Anne

Tracii G
11-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Sometimes just being you is all it takes to get a good conversation going.
I can talk to most anyone anywhere and carry on a conversation while in girl mode.
I let them decide what I am I don't force my lifestyle on them.
If they wish to chat thats fine if they don't then thats fine too.

phili
11-19-2018, 10:06 PM
I love the chit chat bc to me it feels like a nice loving gesture of normalization extended by them!

Hell on Heels
11-20-2018, 12:11 AM
Hell-o Helen,
Yes, Normal isn’t just a small town in Illinois.
For the most part, customer service people treat a customer as they should.
If you’re being respectful, what reason would they have to treat you otherwise?
I know some of us have had run-ins with people that don’t agree with those rules,
but I believe the good by far outnumbers the bad.

You might have suggested to the SA that some platform heels might be what she needed???
Much Love,
Kristyn

Helena
11-20-2018, 02:03 AM
You are absolutely right Helen. We stayed at the Hilton in Nottingham for our recent opera weekend and the staff were more relaxed and chatty. I had several small conversations and a longer one with a young Romanian woman about my experiences visiting her lovely country.

BTW Doc, I am surprised Teresa gets much shopping done because she can really talk😉lol.

Beverley Sims
11-20-2018, 03:49 AM
Helen,
You should aim higher and try to get out more.

In the small villages in the UK chit chat is the norm, but in the good 'Ol US of A there iis more hurry hurry the further east you go.

Sad really.

DaisyLawrence
11-20-2018, 03:58 AM
Ah good ole M&S eh. Thing is, how many M&S's are they where you live? I mean two in one day! Hope they are not on the planned closure list :eek:

As a country bumpkin in the remotest and least populated part of England, I concur with the claim by Bev that chitchat is the norm. I like chitchat. Get nothing done mind you, too busy with the chitchat. And when the tourists come back in the spring, well it's not safe to go outside unless I've got a spare hour. I love this country :)

Rachelish
11-20-2018, 04:11 AM
I haven't shopped for anything femme at M&S yet but have the seen the difference a bit of staff training makes in the interactions I've had, and M&S have a great reputation for that.

My last experience wasn't so good, in a small charity shop where I bought something clearly femme (a lovely black cord mini skirt with flowers) while in drab (a first). The SA was a grumpy, middle-aged man who said nothing and was clearly suspicious - and quite rightly so :)

Sounds like you're having fun anyway Helen.

Macey
11-20-2018, 04:38 AM
Rachelish-ous (sorry, I feel like your handle just *needs* an "ous" at the end :) ),

A grumpy SA sounds pretty normal too. Bad lunch, bad day, bad life, who knows? Some folks are just content to be grumpy whether they are suspicious or not.

Charlotte7
11-20-2018, 05:16 AM
Seems like you;'re having a great time Helen. Keep on keeping on and have fun while you're doing it.

My last experience wasn't so good, in a small charity shop where I bought something clearly femme (a lovely black cord mini skirt with flowers) while in drab (a first). The SA was a grumpy, middle-aged man who said nothing and was clearly suspicious - and quite rightly so :)

Rachel, it's at that point, as I pay, that I look them in the eye and say "Yes, it's for me".

Teresa
11-20-2018, 06:05 AM
Helen,
You raise an interesting point from the conversation with the second SA, it's surprisning how many women are limited to the choice of clothes because of their physical size and shape . It's not just a one off I've found some SAs do enjoy serving us for that reason , despite the male underneath we can look very good in female clothes , it actually gives them pleasure to serve us and I might add a little fun as well . The times I've heard women say they can't wear a dress , they can't wear heels .

Thanks for the update , I'm enjoying them .

Sherry/Helena,
I've always had verbal overload , I know it goes back to my photography business when I had to talk on many subjects to get people to relax . Dressing has just extended my scope .

Bev,
Do you find there is also more outright humour , I know Brits have the stiff upper lip reputation but we also do laugh at ourselves openly .

Charlotte,
Fully dressed you don't need to do that , the great hurdle to get over is allowing a SA to help you in the changing room , I feel it's a real acknowledgement to be seen in a slip and bra and be helped to slip into a dress and have the zip done up . One word of warning make sure the wig is secure , I lost mine when it caught in one of those hanger straps !!