PDA

View Full Version : Is there a wrong way to crossdress?

Erin.Sometimes
12-17-2018, 01:14 AM
This came up on another website and it made me do a bit of thinking.

Now obviously it depends on what your goals are. If you just want to wear the clothes, it's hard to screw up, but if you're going for 100% passing, it can be easy to fall short.

Ultimately I think what I've landed on is that as long as you're enjoying yourself, you really can't be doing it wrong.

I imagine most have come to a similar conclusion as I have, but I'm curious to see if anyone else would like to throw in their two cents.

Jean 103
12-17-2018, 02:07 AM
Yes and No

Yes if you are looking to transition completely. But then you are not a CD.

No if you are just living life as a CD.

Now if you walk out the door you will be judged. So what, the more you go out the more you learn, till it all becomes second nature.

Do you want to make friends be part of the in crowd, or blend in and be ignored?

Stephanie47
12-17-2018, 02:35 AM
I suppose if you want to run around stark naked and you're enjoying yourself, then all is OK and nothing is wrong. Does it come down somewhat to playing the part? If you are transitioning from male to female would you not want to appear in all aspects as a woman? If you're a cross dresser would you not want to appear as a woman? If a man is clean shaven and is under dressing with a bra, panty, hosiery and a camisole is that sufficient to satisfy any inner need to appear as a woman? At times in my family young women have worn men's jeans and men's flannel shirts for comfort and affordability or just plain 'the in style." Would that be sufficient dressing for a cross dressing man to realize his inner self? Just pondering!

Personally, when I am going to emulate a woman I wear a dress, heels and hosiery and proper undergarments; bra, panty and slip. Except for some bold women down at the cancer chemotherapy office I have not seen but one woman in the wild without any hair.

faltenrock
12-17-2018, 03:05 AM
Yes and No

Now if you walk out the door you will be judged. So what, the more you go out the more you learn, till it all becomes second nature.
Do you want to make friends be part of the in crowd, or blend in and be ignored?

Jean I like that, I found out during the last years that in fact Doreen became my second nature. One can't live without the other.

Krea
12-17-2018, 03:36 AM
No. As long as you aren't breaking the law wrt indecent exposure etc, there is no wrong way to crossdress. Doubtless some people wil try to tell you that "this is the right way to CD" or "that is the wrong way", but it's entirely your own choice of expression.

Shelly Preston
12-17-2018, 04:21 AM
I would say there is not a wrong way to dress

However there may be times and places where the way you dress will raise concerns.

Leslie Mary S
12-17-2018, 04:29 AM
If you dress and apply make=up to go with the event/occasion then there is no wrong way. If you do not meet the expected event standards, then it is wrong.

abbiedrake
12-17-2018, 05:20 AM
The only wrong way to crossdress is if you wear men's clothes and you are indeed a man. 😄
Other than than bit of facetiousness (I do try to limit it honestly. Maybe it's cos I'm a Brit?) I honestly can't see why any of us sisters judge each other. We've got heteronormative society for that.

Also @leslie and @shelly that's just dressing the 'wrong' way not crossdressing the wrong way. But even then transgressing norms should be treated with the disapprobation it so often is. Humans love inflexibility it seems.

alwayshave
12-17-2018, 07:25 AM
Dress however makes you comfortable. While I only like to wear dresses and don't wear pants, those who dress in pants are not doing it wrong, it just their preference.

SaraLin
12-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Umm-m-m Wearing your Bra and panties on the outside? Sorry. Just in a humorous mood this morning and couldn't resist.

GretchenM
12-17-2018, 08:34 AM
I like the way Jean put it, however there are several different levels of TG besides transitioning. I agree that transitioning folks need to shoot for passable even though they are more likely to land in the presentable world. Presentable is good; passable really hard. Women vary tremendously and with some you could even suspect they are a transwoman; don't say it though, if you know what is good for you.

CDing seems to provide a wide range of acceptability. But between CD and TS there are a million variations. And, in my view, it comes down to what you want to do. But one must also be considerate of others and not offend. Some onlookers will always be offended, but most will be fine. If the majority are offended then that is likely treacherous territory. I tend to be a mild blender - enough to tell others that I am not exactly a guy in the traditional sense but I am not transitioning. For the most part it works out fine. But it does have its limits. That said, it also depends on the neighborhood. In much of Denver it works great; in some of the burbs it really doesn't. In some places in Denver, don't try it - stay away. Once can usually feel what the others are thinking rather quickly.

Amelie
12-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Sara Lin, wearing a bra on the outside wouldn't really be wrong, lol. Madonna and others have done this as a fashion statement.

There is no wrong way to dress period. There is no right and wrong to living the way you want. It's nobody else's business how I dress.

Jonithan
12-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Umm-m-m Wearing your Bra and panties on the outside? Sorry. Just in a humorous mood this morning and couldn't resist.

^^^^
Or putting pantyhose over your head while walking into a bank.

joni

CarlaWestin
12-17-2018, 08:57 AM
I guess it depends on what you think wrong is. It's all part of being NOT male for a while. And here's my take on passing. Unless you are of a specific body type that lends itself to all the subtle female cues, your maleness will show to the discerning eye.
My main tool for passing is that 98% don't see, don't notice or don't care. And I'm in the don't care group. I'm just being happy my way. In my professional life, I've encountered genderists that I truly appreciate their, (please fill in the right word here), that they present from the inside out every day, in a continuous scan and judge atmosphere. And I've seen all rates of passability no matter what the birth gender. But, probably rarely 100%.

Beverley Sims
12-17-2018, 09:02 AM
It all comes down to dressing appropriately for the time and place.

A lot of mixed answers in this quite interesting thread.

Krisi
12-17-2018, 09:07 AM
"Is there a wrong way to crossdress? "

Wearing your boobs on your back would be wrong. ;)

Charlotte7
12-17-2018, 09:20 AM
My main tool for passing is that 98% don't see, don't notice or don't care

Absolutely

Robertacd
12-17-2018, 09:32 AM
DRAG or DRAB if you are dressed inappropriately for the situation then you are doin' it wrong.

ClosetED
12-17-2018, 10:06 AM
There is no wrong way to crossdress, but a wrong (inappropriate to the situation) way to dress.
Wearing a wedding dress to a family funeral. Wearing a bikini when it is 40 below freezing.
Then you can move further down the slippery slope - an 80 year old in a bikini, dressing like a hooker or a glamour queen in the local mall.
But in private, whatever makes you happy.
Hugs, Ellen

Asew
12-17-2018, 10:32 AM
In a way, you can crossdress wrong for yourself. For years I was doing the fake boobs and such (thinking femme clothes needed a more full femme presentation), and after realizing I was happier without certain extras and accepting a mixed gender presentation, it was a huge milestone. I should have paid more attention earlier on :) But all in all, it wasn't really wrong since it was part of the path for me to get here.

Aunt Kelly
12-17-2018, 11:43 AM
It all comes down to dressing appropriately for the time and place.

Exactly!
If one takes the "cross dressing" qualifier out of the question, the answer is easier to see. There are lots of wrong ways to dress. Wearing clothes of the opposite gender isn't inherently "wrong", of course, so the answer must rather more nuanced, and must consider the subject's motivation and goals. I'll use that guy I saw on Fremont street two nights ago, dressed in pantyhose and a diaper, as colorful illustration. We can only guess at his motivation, but it's a safe bet that he was not going for "passing" or "blending". So was he dressed "wrong"?

Wildaboutheels
12-17-2018, 12:26 PM
According to some of the regular posters here, YES. <<<< It comes mostly from the full "I go out 100% trying to pass as a female or not at all" group and it does not even seem to matter how long they have been CDing, or whether they would transition if they could. Of course this group of individuals are entitled to their opinion!!!

What I have yet to see (maybe I missed it) are people who go out making ZERO attempt to pass criticizing those that DO go 100% all out.

Wellllllllllllll IMO, when new members/those new to CDing)read those opinions, (wrong way to do it) that might scare them from going out wearing what they want to. That helps no one.

I think the biggest prolem with this site/FORUM is that so many want to argue over definitions. Seriously, when folks can't even agree on what a CDer is and isn't, some members are going to get their feelings hurt. I believe a thread was shut down about a month ago (?) over the matter.

So NO, there is no wrong way to CD, any more than there is a wrong way to "dress" period. As a man. Or a woman. Or as some combination.

There might be some stores out there that won't allow men or women to shop in or purchase clothes from the wrong department

There might be some places where every person that comes through the door is checked over with a fine toothed comb. Made to strip down to their undies...

And IF, they are found to be wearing any clothing items at all from the wrong department... they will not be allowed in.

And yes of course, the earth MIGHT be flat.

Majella St Gerard
12-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Yes there is a wrong way and it will be pointed out when you do it wrong.

Teresa
12-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Jean,
It partly depends on how bad your GD needs are .

I try and think of it in GGs terms , somedays dress to go about your business , the knack is knowing the right outfit for the right occassion , when you want to make a statement and when to blend in but not necessarily be ignored, I feel CDers are never totally ignored there are always tell tale signs .

Erin,
Forget the 100% passing it just doesn't happen , you may think people haven't noticed, they are either being kind or choosing to ignore you , unless you're looking for a reaction best not to push it too far .

Confucius
12-17-2018, 04:09 PM
As long as you dress according to your needs and goals, then there is no wrong way to crossdress.

I have to say when I see a beautiful crossdresser, I get envious. When I see an ugly crossdresser, I still respect them for being themselves. I could never pass myself, but wearing pretty and feminine clothing still makes me happy.

char GG
12-17-2018, 04:28 PM
@SaraLin,
My husband facilitated a CDing social group for a while (SO’s included). There was a CDer who showed up in a skimpy short dress and the bra on the outside of the dress. The others let it go for the “in” portion of the meeting but when they were ready to go clubbing, they “helped” by somehow trying to hide the bra (barely) inside the dress. I must say, everyone was very polite and diplomatic about rearranging the presentation!

Mickitv
12-17-2018, 04:46 PM
This is really hard for me to answer because I don't really want to judge anyone for their choices. My goal has always been to enjoy my crossdressing and explore other areas which include crossdressing and make me very happy.

AllieSF
12-17-2018, 04:51 PM
If you dress and apply make=up to go with the event/occasion then there is no wrong way. If you do not meet the expected event standards, then it is wrong.

Sorry Leslie, but I totally disagree with you. And for the record my opinion and yours are both very valid. How one dresses is their own business and no one has any right to tell them not to dress that way. Because what happens is the person is being judged by that person on what they personally believe is wrong. What happens if someone told you that you should not even try to go out in public because of age, looks, size, smile, lack of smile, big ears or a big scar or mole or birthmark on your face? Who has the true right to judge? So, my view is based on letting everyone try to live their lives as they feel fit as long as it is legal. If we start setting minimum standards, what becomes too low or too high to fail? Who sets that level and why, and what about Jenny over there who tries her best but still does not make that level? Should she be forced to stay home because of others' opinions?

No, live and let live. We do not have to associate with those that we do not want to associate with. Easy - peasy.

Jaylyn
12-17-2018, 05:41 PM
If my dressing satisfies my inner desire to dress then I say no there is not a wrong way to CD. When I'm not satisfied with what I want to feel and be seen as then I must be doing something wrong. My problem is my desires can change in a heart beat.

jacques
12-17-2018, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE - Ultimately I think what I've landed on is that as long as you're enjoying yourself, you really can't be doing it wrong..[/QUOTE]

hello Erin,
I don't think I could put it better. And even if we fall short in the passing game - that is some one else's opinion.
luv J

KimberlyJean
12-17-2018, 06:26 PM
No there isn't. Be yourself, just because I might not be like you or dress how you do doesn't make either one of us wrong. Some things may be inappropriate. There was a discussion a while back about people not tucking and wearing skirts short enough to see their genitals, there are laws against public nudity.

Bobbi46
12-17-2018, 07:04 PM
No not in so many words but I think it is down to how one feels right and comfortable with what they are wearing, if there is a wrong way then I think it is in not dressing age appropriate otherwise there is no wrong way, is there?

Jean 103
12-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Teresa,
You are getting there but you still have a long way to go. IMO

This doesn’t really pertain to me and shouldn’t apply to you ether.

I’m somewhere in the middle between TS and CD.

I’m only referring to going out in the RW. I don’t give a hoot what other TG people think. I’m only concerned with what my friends think. At this point I’m so far passed all of this it doesn’t even enter my mind anymore, I’m just living my life.

Allie, YES I agree

I framed my answer so that you all would understand. There is actually a wrong way, basically, if it is not making you happy you are not doing it right.

Oh and bra on the outside, can you say Madonna

BLUE ORCHID
12-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Hi Erin :hugs:, There are 2949 active members on this forum, So there are probably that many ways to dress here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid ..+:daydreaming:+..

DIANEF
12-17-2018, 10:22 PM
There is actually a wrong way, basically, if it is not making you happy you are not doing it right.

Best answer yet.

t-girlxsophie
12-17-2018, 10:26 PM
Oh and bra on the outside, can you say Madonna

Yeah and she's not exactly in the first flush of youth :)

Sophie

DIANEF
12-17-2018, 10:34 PM

'Edwina Hitler' from the brilliant 'Bottom' TV series.

Tracii G
12-17-2018, 11:56 PM
I see this thread getting out of hand eventually.

Heather Anne
12-18-2018, 12:41 AM
When I dress it is my goal to blend in the best I can. I am wearing either a nice dress or skirt and blouse outfit. I do believe / feel there is actually a wrong way to dress. I am 69 years old. I try to dress as a woman my age would dress. I do not wear slacks or pants of any kind when dressed en femme. I will not even attempt to dress as a teenager. Totally inappropriate except in a costume at a costume / halloween party. No micro mini skirts or dresses.

Leslie Mary S
12-18-2018, 01:27 AM
was doing some woman watching at a local Big Box store. Plenty of people but hardly any skirt wearers. If I am going to blend I guess I will have to put on some leggings or blue jeans, Around here it is almost like a uniform. Most females seem to wearing blue jeans when shopping. And sandals or "flip Flops". Think the next time I go female watching I will go to the area where I might go en Fem.

Patience
12-18-2018, 03:20 AM
Wearing one's underwear on the outside would be wrong.

Charlotte7
12-18-2018, 04:05 AM
Wearing one's underwear on the outside would be wrong.

Patience, I'll leave it up to you to tell Clark Kent that one :)

Patience
12-18-2018, 04:43 AM
Patience, I'll leave it up to you to tell Clark Kent that one :)
Ah, but he's not crossdressing.

Linda Lee Danvers wears a skirt. ;)

SaraLin
12-18-2018, 06:33 AM

But fun to dance with??:devil:

Teresa
12-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Jean,
I referred to the GD issues as some tend to overlook the basic driving force in many of us .

For everday living I'm totally comfortable , it would be stupid to say I don't have doubts , questioning if I want or need more and debating if it would really make that much difference . It's a hell of a lot to go through just to change a label and I have now seen it in reality .

I agree the RW opinion is the one that affects us but I do listen to and read with interest what other TG people think .

CarlaWestin
12-18-2018, 04:03 PM

Swim fins don't jive with too many outfit choices.

Bobbi46
12-18-2018, 04:12 PM
Going down the road with your skirt caught up in the elastic at the top of your panties after a vist to the bathroom!

Patience
12-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Always remember: If your nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down!

Seana Summer
12-18-2018, 04:37 PM
I agree with those who state there is no wrong way to crossdress, if you are staying home.

The one thing that I didn't see in the conversation is how your presentation may impact those around you. While we are free to express ourselves however we wish, stopping short of indecent exposure, there is the concept of having good manners. My understanding of good manners is you don't do things to make those around you uncomfortable.

If you are like me and have a body type that makes it hard to pass as female, (I am over 6 feet tall with very large shoulders, hands and feet) than you should probably spend a lot of time and effort either trying to blend in, or limit your exposure to the outside world to where it is acceptable to look like a man in a dress.

Kas
12-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Yes, by trying to crossdress in mans clothes.

Eemz
12-18-2018, 08:04 PM
OK, so to summarize the very helpful "crossdressing - you're doing it wrong" tips so far, in no particular order:

1. Boobs on back.
2. Pantyhose over head while in a bank.
3. Wearing men's clothes when you are, in fact, a man.
4. Underwear on the outside, if not a superhero or Madonna.

OK I'll make a list and post it on my front door so I can check myself before I go outside :straightface:

Macey
12-19-2018, 03:25 AM
Eemz list:

5. Fake moustache, glued over your real moustache.

Linda P.
12-19-2018, 11:21 PM
I agree with those who state there is no wrong way to crossdress, if you are staying home.

The one thing that I didn't see in the conversation is how your presentation may impact those around you. While we are free to express ourselves however we wish, stopping short of indecent exposure, there is the concept of having good manners. My understanding of good manners is you don't do things to make those around you uncomfortable.

If you are like me and have a body type that makes it hard to pass as female, (I am over 6 feet tall with very large shoulders, hands and feet) than you should probably spend a lot of time and effort either trying to blend in, or limit your exposure to the outside world to where it is acceptable to look like a man in a dress.

It can be questioned whether anyone should be required to conduct themselves in public in a way to insure that no one is made uncomfortable. The problem is that sometimes people are made uncomfortable because of their biases or prejudices. For example if there are people who are uncomfortable seeing two men holding hands, should gay couples refrain from holding hands in public? If some people are uncomfortable with interracial couples, should those couples pretend not to be together so as not to make anyone uncomfortable? I don't think so. No one should be forced to live their lives to conform to someone else's prejudices. Prejudice and intolerance have caused more harm to more people than all the men who have ever worn a dress in public.

Asew
12-20-2018, 10:28 AM
You aren't crossdressed if you are naked :)

Eemz
12-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Or you might be - it's impossible to tell :)

Joanna50
12-20-2018, 01:25 PM
My aswer to the original question. Yes there is. When crossdressing, forget about being a man. ACT like a woman and wear clothing that you can handle. There is nothing worse than a "guy" trying to walk with heels.

Wildaboutheels
12-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Many "amusing" answers to this question thus far.

Surely you were asking about those of us who actually VENTURE OUT into the RW "dressed" to some degree?

Obviously, anyone can answer. There have been HUNDREDS of members here over the years complaining that actual GGs are doing it wrong so it's a slam dunk what they are going to say about a MIADish/making ZERO attempt "to pass as awoman" presentation.

Presumably, a man should not utilize ANY articles of "normal female presentation" when out in public unless he goes full bore and changes the way he walks and talks and sits and stands and...................?

It's little wonder that so many GGs over the years at this site have bristled at the notion that THEY were doing it wrong.

Men can practice walking in heels till the cows come home. UNLESS they are built like a woman, few will be able to pull it off "well".

FACT: Women walk the way they do (heels or not) because of the way they are built. Wider hips/pelvis generally... so babies can get out.

IF they were to walk "like a man" many would fall down.

Falling down while walking? Not cool IMO.

Shelly Preston
12-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Obviously, anyone can answer. There have been HUNDREDS of members here over the years complaining that actual GGs are doing it wrong so it's a slam dunk what they are going to say about a MIADish/making ZERO attempt "to pass as awoman" presentation.

I think you presume too much. I am sure everyone here can make up their own minds on what they think.

SailorMoon
02-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Can’t say I would know, they are too many things that girls becoming women have done which we try to gain in 60 seconds.

- What doesn’t fit in your body?
Wearing the right thing is a bitch because you can buy online or lucky to try them at a mall but who can guide you what would look good on the spot?

- What wig would fit you best?
I’ve went to several wig store but all they want is to sale that and this, good luck!

- What shapewear to wear?
Corsets aren’t for everyone and adding pressure on your body can become a medical issue if you do not know what to wear or have it properly fitted to your male body.

- Cream and lotions!?
Welcome to an entire new world and that is all I have to say. It becomes a religious thing to do if you want the results and maintaining it.

- Waxing by professional
Going each moth to have your buns, balls, front and back waxed is insanely expensive even every 6-Weeks because unfortunately we have more hair everywhere else but our head. A financial hit which is not visible and laser works on darker hair if not get ready for $$$ sessions which isn’t 100%.

- Makeup
Holy mother!!! You have to be joking me, where and who on earth can teach you all this that a girl to woman has done in the last 10-20-30 years!?!? Any crash course that a professional person can teach you in 2-4 weeks and how to apply it?

- How to move
Wait... you think wearing clothes and shoes and makeup is all!? No way, you need to know how to walk, move and ABOVE ALL!!! Being graceful and elegant while doing it. I can tell you that a six months course for that for a male is not cheap at all, good luck!

- Perfume
This is the easiest part :)

- Jewelries
Do not wear pop-star things nor things that women wouldn’t wear. This is an art that requires several life’s to achieve which the market for women’s jewelries seems to help them by shortening it to a few years, good luck!

Once you have completed all those steps and spend 4-5 life time of money if you aren’t already rich or if you have all the right support and ressources and friends, families support... only then you’ll know exactly what to avoid.

You’ll be perfectly dressed up and ready to walk out into the real world if you can and doesn’t cause any issues.

Keira Bea
02-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Crossdress or not, the question is really no different to “Is there a wrong way to dress?”

Well I believe so up to a point. It isn’t so much to do about passing, but more to do with does it suit you or not. Does the top match the skirt or trousers etc. Good colour coordination, is it age appropriate. Is it socially appropriate if you go out. Also, does it fit?

Even if you live alone and in the closet, I feel it still does apply. If the answers above are all yes’s, then you are going to feel a whole lot more better about yourself, regardless on whether you pass as a woman or not, and whether you are home alone or not. It takes practice, and observing what females generally like to wear. Think like a female.

Most women and CD’s just wear casuals, but sometimes us CD’s like the hot sl*tty look too (I do occasionally I admit). Nothing wrong with that, but try find something which suits your look and figure and fits well. There are a great deal who wear ill fitting clothes, but I think that is down to buying clothes online, or not confident enough to try them on in a store, and too embarrassed to return them.

If we can manage this, then fashion is really down to personal taste and there is no right or wrong there.

anita1
02-15-2019, 11:16 PM
(bashfully slinks in...) First real post here on this site. So I am a middle-aged man and in the midst of a mid-life career change that finds me mingling among people +/-20 years of my age regularly, AKA college. I regularly see (and have to admit that it is with disappointment) that standard female attire for a 20-something year old woman consists of something along the line of footwear resembling fuzzy slippers, jeans that have holes pre-torn in them, and T-shirts or sweatshirts. Then one of the teachers for a class (who probably is 20 years older than me) walks in wearing a skirt, hose, blouse, and I think "That's how I dress!". This causes the epiphany of realization (aka reality hitting me in the back of the head) that I dress like an older lady when I dress up. So if anyone knows of a place where a really tall person who is a 40 year old man who dresses like a 50+ year old lady fits in, let me know. (runs and hides)...

sometimes_miss
02-16-2019, 09:10 AM
I've occasionally put on my frilly things inside out or backwards. I guess that's 'wrong'.

Sometimes Steffi
02-16-2019, 10:14 AM
(bashfully slinks in...)

I regularly see (and have to admit that it is with disappointment) that standard female attire for a 20-something year old woman consists of something along the line of footwear resembling fuzzy slippers, jeans that have holes pre-torn in them, and T-shirts or sweatshirts. Then one of the teachers for a class (who probably is 20 years older than me) walks in wearing a skirt, hose, blouse, and I think "That's how I dress!". This causes the epiphany of realization (aka reality hitting me in the back of the head) that I dress like an older lady when I dress up. So if anyone knows of a place where a really tall person who is a 40 year old man who dresses like a 50+ year old lady fits in, let me know.

(runs and hides)...

First of all, we're all adults here, and we all crossdress to some extent. So, there's no need to "slink in" or "run and hide". I assume that you came here for support, to gain some knowledge, and even to make some friends, even if only online. We're here for you, and I am in particular. Get your 10 posts in and you can friend me. You can post about anything: where to buy clothes, where to buy makeup, where to go out, how your wife feels about your CDing, if she even knows, and the usual panty thread.

IMHO, we dress like "old ladies" because that is the style we became accustomed to when we first became aware of our crossdressing, So, we're not dressing like an old lady, but a very classy lady. By the way, not all GG old ladies dress like your teacher. If you have any doubt, do some people watching in your nearest Walmart.

Also, not all 20-something GGs dress down, especially at work. My work office is in the executive section of the building, and the GGs that I come across are either executives or executive secretaries. Naturally, they wear blouse/skirt, dresses, pantihose and sensible heels.

Tracii G
02-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Sure there is and other CDers will be the first to tell you.

CynthiaD
02-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Well, my initial reaction was to say no, but then I thought about putting on a ratty old bathrobe over male clothing, and telling everyone it was a dress. That might be wrong. Maybe.
Or wearing a three piece suit with a fancy dress shirt and a silk tie and telling everyone that this was secretly female clothing. That might be wrong too. Maybe.

foxy bartender
02-16-2019, 11:04 AM
This has been a very interesting thread. But there are two questions here actually. With different answers. First, is the question of a wrong way to crossdress, and everyone agrees, that you really can’t do it wrong, if it’s bringing you happiness. The second question, is of style, or is there a wrong way to dress, at all. And that question, is going to be so different to everyone. We all have our own style, and we all think our style is the best out there. If we didn’t, we would dress just like someone else. We just have to agree to accept and support all of our individual styles.
My two cents
Ymmv

Jason+
02-16-2019, 08:25 PM
Wrong ways to crossdress:

Wearing women's clothing so you don't get shipped off to war.
Wearing men's clothing to get into the temples you know you aren't not supposed be in.
Wearing your father's armor, deceiving your commanding officer and saving China.....okay wait, that ones a movie plot so it's ok.
Not understanding the difference between "I can't/won't do that" and "You can't/shouldn't do that."

I'm on board with observing some decorum in keeping your underwear choices private in most public settings. I'll give you not wearing a wedding dress to a funeral or biker bar. I'll treat you as politely and fairly if you happen to meet me in a dress as I would if it was a pants day.

Cheryl T
02-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Only if you tend to put things like your bra on backwards....LOL

Beverley Sims
02-17-2019, 04:29 PM
There are a 1001 wrong ways to dress in The Naked City....

Just go to San Fransisco. :-

Heather Anne
02-18-2019, 09:19 AM
I would say yes. More specific, it depends on the venue / location you are going to. For example you would not wear a formal gown to go grocery shopping. A good rule of thumb is wear what women normally wear. Another rule of thumb dress age appropriate.

sometimes_miss
02-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Only if you tend to put things like your bra on backwards....LOL

Nope. I always stand forwards when I put on my bra.

BrendaPDX
04-10-2019, 08:22 AM
I don't think there is a wrong way, but if you want to pass there is a lot more than picking the right clothes. Makeup has to be the hardest, I can spend hours and on that, then the way you walk, how you hold your hands, how to float when you walk in heals, it is almost a mindset. But to answer your question, dress how you want, what makes you feel the way you want to feel inside and wear it outside. Good luck, the world can be cruel, but it is also filled with wonderful people too.

Patience
06-04-2019, 12:26 AM
I guess it would be wrong to dress in ways that would make us more vulnerable than necessary in places where people could take unwelcome advances towards us.

No, I wasn't making a pun.

Terrylynn
06-04-2019, 05:14 AM
I don't have a problem with people dressing unconventionally, but you have no more right to demand I treat you in a certain way than I have to demand you dress in a certain manner. If you want to receive respect you gotta give respect.

Hogrom
06-04-2019, 06:05 AM
To me the wrong way to crossdress is to do it without being ourself.

That can be like wrong wig color, too much make up, original voice or not...

April Rose
06-04-2019, 10:06 AM
how about:
In the exact same outfit your mother is wearing, when you introduce her to your femme self for the first time....:doh:

looking_good
06-04-2019, 10:22 AM
^^^^

Umm-m-m Wearing your Bra and panties on the outside?...
Or putting pantyhose over your head while walking into a bank.

joni
Never wear white after Labor Day! There are rules!

Micki_Finn
06-04-2019, 02:34 PM
YES. Every CD who wears short skirts but doesn’t close their legs when they sit is doing it WRONG. Other than that it’s all subjective to your goals.

Hogrom
06-04-2019, 02:42 PM
YES. Every CD who wears short skirts but doesn’t close their legs when they sit is doing it WRONG. Other than that it’s all subjective to your goals.

It reminds me a post, but I'm wondering which one :daydreaming::heehee:

Kelly DeWinter
06-04-2019, 06:40 PM
I'd say at a nudist beach.

ShelbyDawn
06-04-2019, 06:48 PM
I'd suggest checking the laws in your local area. Beyond that, have fun...

Sallee
06-04-2019, 07:08 PM
I would say no or the reasons you stated But there are those who dress in a fashion that is anything but fashion. Short short skirts 5" heels garish makeup. I guess there still enjoying themselves and it will take the pressure off me in my desire to pass as a female. I dress to blend But if you want to be dressed to be noticed I guess thats fine as long as it is legal and it probably is as long as your junk is on display

Patience
06-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Sallee! How naughty!

I agree. ;)

Patience
07-04-2019, 09:43 AM
How about regional outfits unrelated to one’s own cultural heritage? Any thoughts on that?

Thelise
07-04-2019, 10:28 AM
Well, I would think the wrong way to crossdress would be to not crossdress. But even that I still enjoy, to an extent.