PDA

View Full Version : Fearless (well, kind of)

sherri
03-21-2006, 06:45 PM
No earth-moving news here, just more anecdotal evidence that we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Last week I had a rare opportunity to dress freely at home, and to come and go as I please (hurray for the kid's spring break at mom's house), and I made the most of it. It was truly luxurious to be able to be a homebody in a skirt, but I also went out several times, which brings me to the reason for this post.

My first night out, I left the house fully dressed, heading for the city. Thirsty for a coke, I stopped at a convenience store on the edge of my small hometown, the first time I've ever done so here. It was just me and the sales clerk, who didn't bat an eye. I even engaged her in a bit of light conversation, to which she responded pleasantly. So I'm racking up a couple of merit badges for that one.

Last night, the weather was horrible so, figuring that shoppers would be staying home, I ventured back to the city determined to make a foray into the mainstream - for the first time, I might add. First stop Target, in my pink tee and baby blue hoodie, denim mini, pantyhose and heels, breastforms and blonde wig. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did buy a cute pair of pink sandal heels. I spent about 45 minutes there, browsing around acting like I owned the place. I even used the women's restroom. I'm sure I was clocked while I shopped but I didn't notice it, except for the girl at the register.

Another notch on my belt.

Next stop WalMart for some makeup and stockings. This one got the adrenaline running. I had to make myself get out of the car, but once I did I didn't look back, although my heart was racing. This time I was clocked immediately by an employee in the makeup section, who kind of kept an eye on me, but I ignored her. I shopped the makeup and clothes sections for a long time, often side by side with other women, without event. I had a face to face when I went to the customer service desk to make a return, but the woman was courteous and efficient. I noticed a cute young cashier watching me with surprise as I was leaving, so I gave her my brightest smile and a little wave.

I'm claiming major kudos for this one.

After WalMart, I popped in the club for a beer, but I really wasn't in the mood for that kind of thing. It seemed kind of tame after Discount America. Time to head home, but back on the interstate the Denny's sign reminded me that I hadn't eaten all day. Took the exit, cruised the parking lot, only a few people there, so in I went. The host and waitress fell all over themselves welcoming me, chatting me up etc. The waitress even noticed my new pink shoes! I eat at Denny's maybe once a decade, but the coffee and pancakes tasted great. In the booth next to me were a young latino couple, the guy a macho-looking type, the kind I usually avoid at all costs, but we locked eyes for a second and he gave me a big smile; they both said hi.

What a brave girl I am.

Back out in the cold wind to the car, I decided another coffee would be good with NPR and the drive home, so I stopped in at my favorite espresso bar for a latte to go. A young foursome at a table were eyeing me and whispering, but the wait staff didn't miss a beat, even complimented me on my skirt. Very nice.

All in all a great outing, very informative and reassuring. Going to the club is all well and good, but it's really not me - it's just been somewhere I dared to go all this time. I much prefer the mainstream environments, although it does make me nervous in spite of the positive experiences.

Which is kind of fun.

And oh yes - kudos to everyone I was around last night for being cool.

PS - by the way, this was my first time to wear pantyhose. I've always been adamant about the preferred sexiness of thigh highs, but I gotta admit, it was nice not having to worry whether my stocking tops were showing - and they felt good. It's a sexy feeling in a different way. But I ripped them in the Target restroom trying to pull them back up with my long fingernails on. How does one manage that successfully ?!?

DawnLabelle
03-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Good for you, great story! :). I'm still trying to get up the nerve and shop for simple femme stuff while in drab.

you go girl!, heheheh
Dawn

Janelle Young
03-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi Sherri.

Great experience, I am inspired. Well not to the point of doing what you did but it makes me feel good that it might not be as bad as I think it might be. Congratulations on going out!

julie c
03-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Good on you girl sounds like you had a great adventure hope to do the same my self one day when i get the bottle.

krissysSecret
03-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Sherri,
Congratulations on your big fearless journey out into the real world! It sounds like you had a blast. I have had a few of those myself and they are always quite invigorating and just a real rush.It takes those trips out of the house to confirm that we can go out and live a womanly life even if just for a few hours.Besides, if we all get out there,I believe we will just become so mainstream that no one will care. Imagine...us being mundane and hardly even noticed...Pretty cool..huh?
Enjoy...
Kristine Dyan

Joy Carter
03-21-2006, 07:45 PM
See if you show some class and behave in a normal manner there is no reason you can't enjoy your self. I waited on a customer once that ended up being guy in a dress and he/she told me that "I wan't to show you a good time" The blood drained from my face and I got angry and she/he sead I was kinda cute. That mortified me and I collected the money for the sale and had to walk away from the sales counter. My manager and the other employees rode me for days about the encounter they even put a perfumed made up letter in my mail box. Little did the cutomer and my co worker know that I was a CD. I smile about that encounter when it comes to mind now.

Strait as an arrow Joy

Laurie Ann
03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Sherri good for you now that the genie is out of the bottle it will be hard to put her back.

paulaN
03-21-2006, 08:00 PM
great story gawd I want to do that again. Go out that is. last time I was out was in vegas in sept. of 2004. I am way over due.

sherri
03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm kind of an old timer on the forum, but some of you don't know me cuz I haven't posted much in quite awhile. These were by no means my first outings - far from it - just my first ventures en femme to places like Target and WalMart. Heretofore my outings have been pretty much limited to gay bars and the occasional overnight stay at a motel.

christine55
03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
This is just the kind of things we need to do for CD's to gain more acceptance. As this happens more and more others will see we are not so strange after all. Kudos to Sherri
Hugs, Christine

Phoebe Reece
03-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Good for you Sherri! I also enjoy going to mainstream places more than the clubs. And you've proved the point that it's also not neccessary to always dress down and blend in.

womanatheart
03-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Sherri,
Wonderful post. Thrilled you had a wonderful experience. Isnt it great to feel what it must be like to be a woman; shopping, walking, moving, trying on shoes, etc. without fear. I was with you all the way.
I enjoy shopping at Target vice WM; good fem selection, less crowds, less security and more female shoppers to minlgle with.
Great confidence! Makes all the difference.
Superb. Thanks Sherri.
Love
Stephanie