PDA

View Full Version : Reaching acceptance - concrete tips

Marlena Dahlstrom
03-22-2006, 03:51 AM
I see a lot of people saying "accept yourself...accept who you are".
Good advice, no question about about it...but I've yet to see anyone offer really practical "how to" advice on HOW to go about accepting yourself.

Here's my tip -- based on Gerald Weinberg's excellent "Becoming a Technical Leader," which has a lot about learning to manage yourself before you manage others.

It sounds like you've got a what family therapist Virginia Satir calls a "survival rule" -- typically acquired so early in life often that we don't remember learning them explicitly -- deep somewhere in your psyche that disapproves of crossdressing. The good news is that its possible to transform these "rules" into "guides."

The first step is to state the rule clearly and explicitly, for example:
I must always help everyone.

Next, acknowledge the rule's survival value and strike a bargin with your unconscious mind. You might be tempted to get rid of the rule once you've stated it, but that would be a big mistake. Typically with "survival rules" the reasons behind it have been lost in the past and all that's left is the strong emotions surrounding them -- like the fear that something terrible will happen if we don't help everyone all the time.

So even if you don't know the origins, you can say to yourself "This rule has been valuable in enabling me to survive, so I have no intention of getting rid of it. I'll keep it around for use when the proper occasion arises. I may add some new rules, but the old one will still be there if I need it." Doing this provides the safety net your unconscious mind needs to accept the rest of the transformation. Your unconscious probably won't speak to you in words, but your body will respond with feelings that tell you whether it's OK to proceed to the next step.

The next step is to give yourself a choice. For example:
I must always help everyone.
becomes
I can always help everyone (if I choose to).

Next change the certainty of the rule ("survival rules" are usually absolutist in nature) to possibility. (Plus many of us also have a "perfection" rule that compounds things and you may need to address that rule before proceeding further.) So that:
I can always help everyone (if I choose to).
becomes
I can sometimes help everyone (if I choose to).

This still raises the issue of perfection, so the next step is to change the rule from totality to non-totality, so that:
becomes
I can sometimes help some people (if I choose to).

Once you've made these sorts of big changes, it's relatively easy to decide when, where and how you want to apply the rule. You want to avoid replacing one rigid rule with another rigid rule, so it's a good idea to come up with at least three examples as you transform that general into the particular. So for example:

I can sometimes help some people (if I choose to) when....
they ask me clearly for help
I have the skills to help them
I have the resources to help them
it fits me to help them
I choose to help them
I will be able to tolerate failure to help them

Once the transformation of the rule is complete it's helpful to write it down. Then once you've had a chance to practice applying the new rule you can revisit the written version to see how things are going. This fulfills the promise you made to your unconscious and acknowledges that one isn't perfect. So you may also want to revise or clarify one of the particular conditions. For example, you might find that:
it fits me to help them
is better stated as
the two of us can arrive an an open, explicit and limited contract for help, and I feel good about that contract

Changing "survival rules" doesn't necessarily happen overnight, but it does work -- although it's not flawless. Yes, Satir was a family therapist, but Weinberg was ultra-rational computer programmer, so this method can work for a lot of different folks.

Anyone else got a concrete tips about techniques they used to help them reach acceptance?

DawnLabelle
03-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Its almost scary how alot of the stuff I read in here, like this post, echoes the words that my therpist says to me. Great post and definetly something to mull over in my head :)

Dawn

VeronicaMoonlit
03-22-2006, 09:31 AM
The good news is that its possible to transform these "rules" into "guides."

Yes, my counselor said the same thing about my little rules, and described basically the same procedures.

This still raises the issue of perfection, so the next step is to change the rule from totality to non-totality, so that:
becomes
I can sometimes help some people (if I choose to).

Very important.

Yes, Satir was a family therapist, but Weinberg was ultra-rational computer programmer, so this method can work for a lot of different folks.

A ha! I knew it sounded like adding if/case/else statements to a subroutine for some reason. :-)

Veronica

KathrynW
03-22-2006, 10:28 AM
sounds very very deep... :straightface:

GypsyKaren
03-22-2006, 10:56 AM
You know, once I learned how to love myself, I accepted myself. What does that mean? I finally realized that I was not a monster or freak of nature and such, but a kind, loving person with a big heart for others. It was always so easy to be there for everyone else, I just opened up and started being there for myself too. It is kinda deep, but that's what worked for me, and I was able to reverse a life time of hating myself.

Karen

Ms. Donna
03-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Marlena,

Great post!

Love & Stuff,
Donna

KathrynW
03-22-2006, 11:38 AM
You know, once I learned how to love myself, I accepted myself. What does that mean? I finally realized that I was not a monster or freak of nature and such, but a kind, loving person with a big heart for others. It was always so easy to be there for everyone else, I just opened up and started being there for myself too. It is kinda deep, but that's what worked for me, and I was able to reverse a life time of hating myself.Karen
That's good stuff, Karen...and hits real close to home with me.
I’ve never been good at the self esteem thing, and loving myself? I dunno, maybe it’s just me...but that’s real hard especially when you’ve never once heard that, even from your own mother.
Most of the time, it's basically impossible for me to shut off the personal history video that plays in my brain regarding all that crap. But, I guess that’s another issue...
Good thing they haven’t caught up with me or I’d be locked in a rubber room somewhere... :straightface:

Marlena Dahlstrom
03-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Its almost scary how alot of the stuff I read in here, like this post, echoes the words that my therpist says to me.

It's not surprising that your therapist has said something similar -- Satir was the therapist who created "family therapy," so she and her work are quite well known in the profession.

A ha! I knew it sounded like adding if/case/else statements to a subroutine for some reason. :-)

Well the funny thing is that Jerry had to "geek up" his books in order to make them marketable to the programmer crowd. That was particularly true of his "Quality Software Management: Congruent Action," which is really an excellent book on people skills.

Jerry studied with Satir and it actually was a good pairing -- Jerry had been a systems analyst and had the a-ha that people are really just fascinating complex systems.

I’ve never been good at the self esteem thing, and loving myself? I dunno, maybe it’s just me...but that’s real hard especially when you’ve never once heard that, even from your own mother.

That is tough.

OTOH, people may be saying that but you're not letting yourself hear it. Just a thought.

Most of the time, it's basically impossible for me to shut off the personal history video that plays in my brain regarding all that crap. But, I guess that’s another issue...

FYI, there are techniques for dealing with that. Cognitive behavior therapy has a good track record with this sort of thing. If you're not interested in actually seeing a therapist with expertise in this area, there are a couple good books with exercises one can do oneself. I'm going out of town for a few days, but I can dig up titles if you're interested.