PDA

View Full Version : Going to the mall for a makeover

Sweet Susan
10-29-2004, 12:43 AM
Who of you have ever been to one of those make-up counters at a department store at the malls for a make-over? That is something I really want to do. I've fantasized about it forever, and one of these days I'm going to make it happen.

If any of you have done this, let us know what that experience is like. I'm talking about the big stores like Nordstroms that have four or five of the major make up companies. They have women and men who will give you a make-over right there at the counter. It just seems like the thing to do, to me. I'd like to know about how much it would cost, what kind of experience it is, if there are any hassles, how long it takes, and what I could expect. I'm sure they want to sell make up, but that is to be expected. What can you tell me?

Marlene4a
10-29-2004, 12:50 AM
I will one of these days, if I get the nerve to do just that.

By the way, I like your sexy Avatar.

Sweet Susan
10-29-2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the comment. I just got that posted today. A really special friend helped me with that. I know I should be smiing, but I'm working on it.

Perhaps we could go to the mall and do that together!

Marlene4a
10-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, that would be a lot of fun Susan.

I always wanted to do that myself

jessicam
10-29-2004, 05:16 AM
i had my makeup done by a rep at a macy's store at the MAC Counter. she was very helpful and gave me advise on technique what looked good for my skin tone and it didn't cost me a dime exepect the cost of the makeup when i did buy it which was like a couple of days later. which was fine with her and she told me if I went to other stores that it's best to be honest with them about what you are doing it for ie Crossdressing, theater class just to be honest and most of them will be very helpful i had another really woman comment on how pretty i was which felt nice. do it during the week and not on a weekend you will get more help. to see my photo look at
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004

jessicam
:)

Sweet Susan
10-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for that Jessie. I am really looking forward to going to the mall and having this experience. I don't mind at all being honest with them. I find that works best when I buy clothing, and the only time I have bought make up at a mall counter I was honest and got great help.

But let me understand what you just said. I can sit there for however long it takes and have them make me all up, eyes, shadow, make-up, the whole bit, and they won't charge me unless I buy it? If that's true, that's a deal!

t12117174
10-29-2004, 11:42 AM
I really wanna do that too! The MAC counter is a great idea for me. I've many times been through the mall and have seen the men who work there in wonderful makeup.

Have fun with that, and I hope to hear about your experience soon!

XO! -t.

Sweet Susan
10-30-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm hoping to go in mid-november

SherryAnn
10-30-2004, 12:54 PM
I've always wanted to see what I'd look like with a complete make over but I here its over $200.00 around here & ya cant put it back on-mmmmmmm

GraceUSA
10-30-2004, 01:02 PM
I've never done one in the department stores but I have done one at the MAC store. It did cost me money but it was a offical training session and I had the artist for a hour and half without him having to help other customers. With that I setup the appointment the day before and had it done saturday morning. Was hoping I could keep it one for the day but my roommate had a new date at the appartment so I had to take it off before I got home.

Today I'm going to head to the Sephora store for a makeover for the party tonight. The makeovers are free there and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Grace

windycissy
11-01-2004, 05:53 PM
That sounds like fun, but I'm a big chicken and usually steer clear of the makeup counters when I'm cruising the department stores. My fear of being "read" wins out most of the time, and I figure if anyone is going to see through my little disguise, it's the girls in the cosmetics department. Once in a while, I'll mosey on over to the fragrance counter and try a new scent if I can do it without a team of salesladies descending on me. Ask Windy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Anditv
11-01-2004, 06:45 PM
MAC are fantastic, I had a makeover done whilst in bloke mode on Friday. The makeup artists there really know their stuff.
Over here (the UK) though only the MAC shops stock the full coverage foundation, not the in store concessions, which if you're anything like me you'll probably need.
It was slightly weird being made up in front of a shop full of customers though.

Sweet Susan
11-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Being in public and being made up would be kind of tough, but it has its element of excitement, as well. I'm thinking about going to either the Bon (now Macy's) or Nordstroms in downtown Seattle. Great stores, lots of opportunities to enjoy the day after getting made up.

GraceUSA
11-02-2004, 11:59 PM
MAC are fantastic, I had a makeover done whilst in bloke mode on Friday. The makeup artists there really know their stuff.
Over here (the UK) though only the MAC shops stock the full coverage foundation, not the in store concessions, which if you're anything like me you'll probably need.
It was slightly weird being made up in front of a shop full of customers though.

I've been made over twice now in mall shop. First time as at MAC by female impersonator, he did a great job but I wasn't able to enjoy it afterwards. I did learn a lot from him. Second time was at Sephora and it was the first time for this makeup artist to transform a CDer. She did a beautiful job and I had a lot of fun with it at a party that night. I personally liked makeup done at sephora better, it was softer and much more me even though not as much skill was involved.

Both times it was out in the open within view of mall walkers and both times I've had a lot of people watch and where interested. Nothing at all negative was said or even bad looks and this is in a very weathly conservitive area. It took some guts to do it but it was very well worth it.

Grace