PDA

View Full Version : Surprising ankle problem

susan54
03-23-2019, 04:47 PM
For the last few days I have been limping in male shoes. When I put on heels, it goes away. Makes no sense. I spend most of my life in heels and just wear male shoes for my part-time work.

Lisa516
03-23-2019, 05:07 PM
From the doctor foot.

and i quote

"Wearing heels for long periods can result in a shortening and tightening of the Achilles' tendon. When you walk in a relatively flat shoe, your foot flexes up (dorsiflexes) when your heel hits the ground and then flexes down (plantarflexes) as you toe off. If the Achilles' tendon is short and tight because of high heels, the foot loses its ability to flex up and down, so switching to a flat can cause heel and calf pain. Flats can also aggravate conditions like plantar fasciitis if they lack good arch and heel support.

If you're moving away from high heels to flats, do so gradually, wearing lower heels at first. That will give your Achilles' tendon time to relax and stretch out. You might also try doing some of the standard exercises for stretching the Achilles' tendon.

The basic maneuver involves keeping your heel on the ground and your leg straight as you lean forward."

BLUE ORCHID
03-23-2019, 05:30 PM
Hi Susan :hugs:, That is too bad, Looks like you will have to wear Heels the rest of your life, Tuff Brake!

>>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid ..O:daydreaming:O..

susan54
03-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Thanks Lisa. AS I spend more than 80% of my waking hours in heels I might just have done this to myself. I might have to spend more time in low-heeled shoes or, as Blue Orchid says, I might be condemned to wear heels for the rest of my life. The pain is actually in my tendon so your Doctor Foot might be right. Have I taken off my heels? Not yet!

Bobbi46
03-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Lisa raises a very good point indeed a woman friiend of mine liked really high heels and wore them every day I heard recently that she cannot where anything else because of tendon damage to he heels!

Maid_Marion
03-23-2019, 07:24 PM
It certainly feels different wearing men's shoes as my women's sneakers and work shoes have some heel.

Jaylyn
03-23-2019, 08:46 PM
I always thought and heard that all shoes heels, tennis, jogging, boots and boots need good arch support or you'll have serious complications later in life. I would think if a person wore heels and men's shoes that had the arch support in equal amounts of time that all the muscles in the foot would be well worked to keep pain away. Stretching the leg and pointing the toes as you do what Lisa suggested would definitly help I'm thinking.

JoanneNY
03-23-2019, 10:13 PM
I have large flat feet and my ankle bones are extremely painful wearing drab shoes, custom orthodics help a bit but putting on a 1" or 2'' heel pair and I could go dancing.
WW

docrobbysherry
03-23-2019, 10:42 PM
Susan, as part of my morning excersize routine, I stretch my ham strings. Not for wearing heels, just so they stay loose.
But, when I wear my 4"+ heels? It helps!:thumbsup:

Beverley Sims
03-24-2019, 12:19 AM
I cut the Achilles tendon in an accident once since then it has been binding on the outer sheath.

A one or two inch heel does help but I would rether be without the problem.

Wearing high heels all the time is not good without exercise to keep the tendons stretched.

ReneeTD
03-24-2019, 06:53 AM
If the issue is tendon related, you might look into wearing a night splint. I had to use one for Planar Fasciitis and it ended the pain almost literally overnight. Arch supports kept it from returning, but the night splint was indispensable for giving the damaged tendon time to heal.

Teresa
03-24-2019, 06:59 AM
Susan,
I have to say I get more discomfort standing on the bath mat while shaving with my heels hanging over the back of the mat at a slightly lower angle . I don't wear excessively high heels in the day, my ankle boots only have about a 2" heel and my knee boots just under 3" but do feel very comfortable .

susan54
03-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Discovered what the problem was. For the last few days I have had a pile of dresses on my bed awaiting hanging up. My foot was trying to support this weight (the other foot had no weight over it). I removed the dresses and my foot is beginning to recover. And to think I had been blaming my male shoes! Moral of the story is - organise your dresses properly.

alwayshave
03-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Susan, I have flat feet, so out of nowhere my feet can hurt for a few days and then get better. Heels are never the issue. I'm glad you resolved the problem.