PDA

View Full Version : Fashion no-no's!

Gemma Rhodes
03-23-2006, 08:53 AM
What for you are the fashion no-no's, what 2 colours don't go together etc, what type of tops don't go with certain skirts/jeans, should boots we worn with jeans tucked in or not. Anything really, just what would you not be seen dead in.

Gemma xx

Lilith Moon
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Polka dots.

Stripes.

White shoes.

White Hose.

Slip showing, especially through the slit in a skirt.

Just my personal taste, of course :)

MelissaM
03-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Anything spandex on a person that shouldn't be wearing spandex. ;-)

kathy gg
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
These are not something I found in a book or on tv, but just common mistakes I see women and cd's make all the time. And these things never look good on anyone, in my personal opinion:

White pantyhose with black shoes.

Black pantyhose with white shoes.

White pantyhose with skirt/pants/dress other than a very creamy color. say a blue dress and white pantyhose. Just looks bad.

Two graphically different patterns on top and bottom.

Horizontal stripes only look good on very very thin people. Otherwise it makes you look larger across.

I also don't like when two different animal prints are mixed together in the same outfit. It is like "we get it, you like animal print!" I would think the only acception would be if you had an animal print blouse and a shoe with a tiny bit of animal print or on a handbag. Otherwise it is jsut overkill.

To find out what colors go together. Go to a paintstore and buy a color wheel. Or look for one online. This is not only a decorating/panit color thing but also a good barometer for what colors go together in clothing. Colors opposite each other on the wheel can work together.

Also some colors look striking on people with certain skin tones. I find people with dark skin look great in metalics {golds, bronzes, ect}. But very fair skinned people look like the clothing is outshining their features.

Anyway, I have seen your pics, you have some nice things that have potential. Most of us do, it is jsut finding the right cominations that connect to make a smashing outfit.

Gemma Rhodes
03-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Anyway, I have seen your pics, you have some nice things that have potential. Most of us do, it is jsut finding the right cominations that connect to make a smashing outfit.

Thanks Kathy but I wasn't really asking for myself, it was just a general question. I try and choose my outfits very carefully and like to think I look ok most of the time.

Nicole Lee
03-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Ouch. :(

Oh well. I'm wearing my spandex in my exercises to help me lose weight so I can look better in them. Hahh. ;)

uknowhoo
03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Pink and red together :nono:

well, somebody had to say it! :p

Bridget
03-23-2006, 12:40 PM
While contrast is good, especially when layering, you don't want true color contrast, such as red and blue, or green and blue. You always want a softer contrast. You don't want to wear stuff that's all the same either, it looks weird. Like denim jacket and denim jeans...looks not my style. Differing patterns are worse. :P

There are several color families i like to stick to. I generally avoid pink, bright yellow, and most other bright colors. Anything that can be considered a "hot" color, I generally avoid. I prefer to stick to more earthy colors.

And the bottom line is i use my feminine intuition and use the big full length mirror i scavenged by the dumpster (It's surprising how much good fruniture college people toss out) to see if everything works well together.

Julie Avery
03-23-2006, 12:46 PM
I generally avoid pink

That would be almost as hard for me as avoiding crossdressing altogether :)

JeanneF
03-23-2006, 07:00 PM

Spandex is a privlege, not a right. :D

This thread actually brings up a question that I've been wondering...can you mix black and brown? A gg friend of mine was wearing a black top with a brown peasant skirt last weekend, and I thought it looked pretty good. However, I was under the impression that mixing black and brown was a fashion faux pas...was I wrong?

CharlaineCadence
03-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh god i'll try to keet it short. I'm no fasion queen but i am very old fashioned so hear goes.

*Skirts that are so short you know the panties are going to be seen from space

*anything that has hot ot neon in its name. if you can see it from space dont wear it.

*hoop ear rings that are bigger then my wrist.

*ear rings from the 80's

*Mullets in gen

*people in military clothing and never served

*makeup that looks spackled on.

*to much bling or just plain out right gaudy

*purses that dont match the outfit

*to much skinn showing

*bras that dont fit right

*cleavige that's proof that your really a dd not that c cup your squeezing into

*Spandex the "HEY LOOK AT MY FLAB" clothes

*thongs in gen

Veronica E. Scott
03-23-2006, 08:45 PM
What for you are the fashion no-no's, what 2 colours don't go together etc, what type of tops don't go with certain skirts/jeans, should boots we worn with jeans tucked in or not. Anything really, just what would you not be seen dead in.

Gemma xx

I have been under the impression that if you find the color's in nature togather than it is ok to ware them on your person depending on your skin tone etc.

VeronicaMoonlit
03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Sucky wigs: out of style, out of shape, or just unflattering a la wigs that look like the hair on the guys in the 80's band Starship.

the wrong shoes: ankle boots with an outfit that would work better with a knee high boot, high heels with outfits that need a flat or low heel, low heels with an outfit that deserves a high heel, sandals with an outfit that needs a closed toe shoe, and vice versa

panthyose with sandals, and I'm not even talking the super sheer nude kind I'm talking re-inforced toe suntan/copper/toast extra support kind

opaque black hose worn with outfits that they shouldn't be.

sheer hose worn with outfits they shouldn't be

Dark lipliner worn with a lighter colored lipstick

too much eyeliner

A wardrobe that hasn't seen any modernization. ( a bit of retro now and then is fine, but not an entire outfit every time)

Veronica

Leigh Davis
03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Knee highs or rolled down stockings with a mid calf length skirt.

:p

Angela Burke
03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
A bowler hat.

HaleyPink2000
03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Razor cuts in nylons to make them look Goth. YUK!!!

Jodi
03-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Blue eye shadow
Bright red lipstick
hose darker than the shoes
An out fit not balanced in color and texture, ie a heavy cotton skirt and a satin top.

As an answer to Lisa in Cincy--In some cases brown can go with black. If one of the items is a brown tweed, black will go with it. Or, if the skirt, as on your friend, has a brown pattern with a little black in it, a black top will work. I would not put black shoes with it.

Jodi

Laurie Ann
03-23-2006, 10:21 PM
I would never be caught naked ok maybe naked but in the proper lighting. Just kidding, I would however, never be caught dead or alive in clothes that are too tight or too bright.

mudanjel
03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Razor cuts in nylons to make them look Goth. YUK!!!

at least put red tights under them :D

Barb Valentine
03-24-2006, 12:29 AM

I think there should be a weight limit in order to wear spandex

Michelle Hart
03-24-2006, 12:30 AM

it's nice to know sombody else knows spandex has a load rating:D