PDA

View Full Version : More evidence of good attitudes

susan54
04-05-2019, 11:28 AM
I was out and about dressed yesterday in a small Highland town I visit frequently when dressed and not. I was not exactly dressed to blend in (but then I rarely am): bright red dress above knee, navy opaque tights, loose navy jacket, bright red rather high court shoes, navy leather gloves and handbag. Due to commitments I had to start my walkabout as the secondary (high) schools were getting out. Then later as the weather was reasonable I had to walk past groups of youngsters, mainly girls, sitting people watching on the main street. Not so much as a smirk (and no, I do not pass). This is the same town where I have previously worn heels, tights and skirt while presenting as a man. No one in this town has ever said or done anything negative about my appearance - quite the reverse. My friend who owns the boutique looked me up and down and said "Gosh, you look glamorous". She is happy for me to try on clothes however I am dressed but seems much more pleased to see me when I am fully dressed. I put some clothes into a dressmaker there for alteration so have to go back in a couple of weeks anyway. I had to be measured for a dress alteration and the dress had no sleeves, exposing my hairy arms, and she was completely fine with this and told me I was not the only gentleman she had getting dress alterations. The only place in the Highlands where I have had people doing a double take is at Castle Urquhart on Loch Ness-side and that was from American tourists. Don't let anyone tell you the Highlands is full of backward-thinking, narrow-minded traditionalists. By the law of averages there must be some nasty bigots out there but I simply haven't come across them.

Beverley Sims
04-05-2019, 11:52 AM
An interesting read as I always felt the Scots were fairly conservative.

Don't go to Urquhart Castle now, since they put that interpretive centre in there a few years ago.

I always tour there in January before the weather breaks. :-)

docrobbysherry
04-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Susan, I think it's great u can wear what u like in public without worries!:thumbsup:

Just 2 comments:
A photo of how u were dressed is worth a 1000 words.
And, no one ever went broke under estimating American's taste, ignorance, or bigotry!:doh:

alwayshave
04-06-2019, 08:54 PM
I'll second what doc said. If there are no pictures it did not happen.

Leelou
04-07-2019, 01:07 AM
It was fun to read your post, thanks. I've got a family tree full of Scottish ancestry. Best wishes!

Tracii G
04-07-2019, 08:46 AM
I would love to see that outfit too.
Not sure what high court shoes are but no big deal lets see the outfit I am curious how it all looks.

Jodie_Lynn
04-07-2019, 10:57 AM
"court shoes" that always throws me. I'm not sure what they are.

But I have to say, in all my forays out as Jodie, I haven't yet (yet being the operative word) had a negative encounter.

Lydianne
04-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Court shoes are clown shoes :silly::

"Fear not, fair lady! I shall not molest you!"
"I am but just a humble jester! And you.. you are too far above me!"

< Slams car door > *Bang!*

"Farewell, fair lady. I shall tear myself from your side..."

< Spins round theatrically; splits pants > *Rrrip!*
< Woman bursts out laughing >

Not really! :tongueout.

Despite that attempted depiction of an awesome scene from "Singin' In The Rain", done from memory and perhaps suffering slightly in historical accuracy :strugglin, court shoes are to all intents and purposes just closed toe pumps :).

- Lydianne.

OMG! I found it! :eek:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLUIztLrSiY

Historical inaccuracies highlighted! :facepalm:. I remember the jacket having already been torn; so I thought it was the pants that went... but, no! It was more jacket! :o. Nevertheless, great scene! :daydreaming:.

- Lydianne.

Jodie_Lynn
04-07-2019, 12:20 PM
court shoes are to all intents and purposes just closed toe pumps .

So, basically heeled pumps. Gotcha! And thanks. :)

>sigh< Brits and their lingo. 'roundabouts', lifts, 'flats', and such.

Why cain't y'all speak Murican, like normal folk?

:straightface::laughing::laughing::lol2:

Teresa
04-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Jodie,
Maybe the shoes is on the other foot ( excuse the pun ) but we are speaking the ENGLISH language so what twist you put on it over the water is up to you .

I beleive court shoe came from a smart shoe worn in high circles , not something a clown wore . OK my wife probably thinks I look a clown while wearing them but that's her problem !

Susan ,
It's a great story but one question , why not just shave the arms and make the dress look stunning , it only takes a few minutes .

Jodie_Lynn
04-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Jodie,
Maybe the shoes is on the other foot ( excuse the pun ) but we are speaking the ENGLISH language so what twist you put on it over the water is up to you .

I beleive court shoe came from a smart shoe worn in high circles , not something a clown wore . OK my wife probably thinks I look a clown while wearing them but that's her problem !

Susan ,
It's a great story but one question , why not just shave the arms and make the dress look stunning , it only takes a few minutes .

Teresa, me Mum was English, and me Da was Irish, I'm very familiar with the Queen's English! :)
And it got me in soooo much trouble in school!

Also, I agree, why not shave the arms? Unless you have to appear uber manly at work.

susan54
04-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Firstly, folks - there are no pictures of me AT ALL on the internet even as male version. It is going to stay that way. Secondly, because I do not identify as a woman, when I am dressed in male clothes I am being the real me. When I am me I am masculine and I enjoy being perceived as male. I can cover up shaved legs and armpits but not arms. I am perfectly happy having hairy arms so have no intention of de-hairing them. As my male persona, I have a life that is heavily dependent on how I am perceived and I want to keep that perception on track with no distractions about how I might be dressed at other times.

Bobbi46
04-07-2019, 05:49 PM
This is just how life should be everywhere, acceptance, where I live acceptance is at a similar level, live and let live is what I say.

Crissy 107
04-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Jodie,
Funny, I always thought it was the other way around.

Helen_Highwater
04-08-2019, 04:48 AM
Susan,

Anywhere you go, no matter what country, it will have it's share of knuckle draggers. That said I've always viewed Scotland generally as a progressive society. I feel too many confuse passionate nationalism with outright hostility and that's not the case.

As for the arm hair, it's the case that many of us have to reach one or more compromises to manage this life we lead. Hopefully the day will come when no-one judges others for their valid lifestyle choices.

t-girlxsophie
04-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Lovely to hear your story Susan,as a weegie (queue rush to Google that) Its encouraging to know that things are much better in the Highlands and Islands.Scotland is a welcoming country and always has been.

As for court shoes I actually just recently bought a pair