PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough Renaissance Festival ladies

RainbowDash
04-21-2019, 11:42 AM
So yesterday I went to this fair with my buddies and we had a fantastic time looking at everything. One thing I couldn't help but notice of course was everyone dressed up like they were from the 1500s. This of course made me want to join in the fun.
As the day went on, I found myself looking mostly at the women and what they were wearing. Probably a third of them or more were wearing corsets. As a MtF crossdresser, I naturally started visualizing myself wearing what they were wearing. The best part was, there were several shops set up that sold women's dresses from that time period. I almost went into 1 of them.... almost.
My friends were with me, and they do not know about me being a crossdresser. Otherwise I would have been looking in these stores for quite some time. Part of me wants to go back a second time before they leave town in late May. However there is 1 more tiny little problem.... Everything they sell is handmade, and as such everything is a bit overpriced. EX, you could pay $150 for a pair of boots that you might normally pay half price for. Although I never checked the prices of the dresses, I could reasonably guess that with all the detail they put into them and how well they were made, one could easily pay $300 or more for 1 dress.

Micki_Finn
04-21-2019, 11:47 AM
A custom, hand made product isn’t really comparable to mass produced retail market items, so they aren’t really “overpriced”. That said, women’s renaissance clothing is HORRIBLY uncomfortable consisting usually of at least 3-4 layers, usually of very heavy material. They’re fun to look at but honestly death to wear.

Macey
04-21-2019, 12:34 PM
If you're inspired, mentally tick off the 'looks' you see and do some Amazon shopping. As Micki said, the quality and detail won't be there, but you're looking for a fun cute outfit, not to become a serious full time ren rat :)

Tracy Irving
04-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Our local Renaissance faire takes place on weekends in July and August. The outfits the women wear look like an uncomfortable sauna suit and I would love to try one on.

Tracii G
04-21-2019, 12:35 PM
I love those festivals.
I have a dress pattern and the material to make that style of dress but never had it made.

Ceera
04-21-2019, 04:39 PM
I have worn outfits like those. I have also attended that particular fair, when I still lived in Texas. Yeah, ren fair prices are expensive, if compared to mass-produced stuff from the mall. But the quality is much higher. Carefully selected, it can be as comfortable as any modern-day fancy dress outfits. Even a renaissance corset can be comfortable, if you get a good one, and can be worn all day in comfort. And you will find the faire merchants have zero issues with cross dressing customers. In fact, most of them love helping a guy doll up as a lady. Look carefully at any fair, and you will find several ladies are in fact cross dressers.

Sometimes Steffi
04-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Look carefully at any fair, and you will find several ladies are in fact crossdressers.

Yes, and I was one of them at the Maryland Renn Fest, my first time out. And, I wasn't the only one.

I actually rented a wench costume, and I did shop and buy for me.

Crissy 107
04-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Since they are there til late May I think you should go back and enjoy visiting the merchants.

Beverley Sims
04-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Well if you want to take part you just have to pay the price.

It would probably be worth the trouble to try it out.

rachael.davis
04-25-2019, 06:00 AM
Museum replicas is costumy, but not horribke. Revival clothing is a but pricier, but much nicer

BrendaPDX
04-25-2019, 08:03 AM
I love the look and feel, but these events always seem to be in the summer, way too hot. Ya too rich for my blood, but a good fantasy.

abby054
04-25-2019, 08:37 AM
I love the look and feel, but these events always seem to be in the summer, way too hot. Ya too rich for my blood, but a good fantasy.

If hot weather makes your Ren Faire experience uncomfortable, take a trip out to Moscow, Idaho, about a six hour drive from your home in Portland. Attend the Ren Faire there the first weekend in May. My brother says they still have snow on the hills today. They are barely out of winter by the first weekend in May. No problem at all with hot weather there. You may have to scrape the frost off your windshield, though. Book your hotel before you go. WSU graduation is the same weekend.

Sometimes Steffi
04-25-2019, 02:27 PM
Too far away for you, but the Maryland Renn Fest runs form lat summer to early fall

August: 24, 25, 31
September: 1, 2, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28, 29
October: 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20

docrobbysherry
04-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Never buy anything at events like that. Unless price is no object. U can buy amazing Southern Belle and revival dresses, etc. online for 1/2 what they have to charge at those fairs!:thumbsup:

This is mass produced costume and sells for about $60!:battingeyelashes:

donnalee
04-27-2019, 03:14 AM
Looks more like Mexican 19th century clothes

Angie G
04-27-2019, 10:55 AM
I haven't gone in some years but the Renn Fair here in Up state N.Y. rented outfits for the day. Check that maybe you could play for the day. my wife makes dresses and costumes for the grandkidsa it's a lot of work and the quality is 100% better. :hugs:
Angie