PDA

View Full Version : Formal Dresses

Molly Wells
05-04-2019, 01:27 PM
I think it would be sensational to attend a formal event, wearing a beautiful gown and all the accoutrements. I would want to spend the day getting ready, hair, makeup, nails .... Dress to the Nine's

So, if you were to begin planning such an outing what type of venue or event would you look for to attend?
What style or type of dress?

In the fog,

Molly

Sallee
05-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Probably a Cross dresser event or a Imperial court event in the gay community. I went to one of those years ago and talk about gowns They were just amazing

Sometimes Steffi
05-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Except for "the day getting ready" part of it, been there, done that.

The Gala Ball on Saturday night of the Keystone Conference is just that.

Plus, my DC CD social group usually does that for our Christmas meetup.

Tonight, the theme is the Kentucky Derby (derby hats suggested).

Tracy Irving
05-04-2019, 03:45 PM
A prom, quinceanera or wedding dress. I prefer any type of ball gown with a large hoop skirt.

Heck, I will bring them all for a long photo shoot in a picturesque park setting.

Micki_Finn
05-04-2019, 05:00 PM
its gonna depend on how formal and what kind of event. Daytime events will differ from nighttime. Different types of events will call for different outfits. ”Formal” is pretty relative. For some going out to the theatre could be formal, for others it’s the ball or nothing...

Karen B
05-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Yes, as Sometimes Steffi said, the Gala Ball at Keystone Conference was one of the nights of my life.
But next year I will be going all out. I felt I wasn’t formal enough.
Love you all! Karen

Confucius
05-04-2019, 05:21 PM
AID Atlanta used to sponsor a charity Cotillion ball complete with a debutante competition. Guests were required to pay a minimum of $75 to attend and were required to dress in female formal attire. There was a strict dress code and guests were warned to be in complete female attire and anyone with facial hair could be turned away.

I would have loved to have attended an event. I would dress as a debutante myself. You can still find some AID Atlanta Cotillion videos on YouTube.

docrobbysherry
05-04-2019, 08:25 PM
The King's Ball to meet and dance with the Prince, of course!:battingeyelashes:

BLUE ORCHID
05-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Hi Molly :hugs:, To me a wedding or a prom comes to mind. >Orchid ...:daydreaming:+.

Jean 103
05-04-2019, 09:45 PM
If this is what you want ... please do it.... It is possible.

Live life..

Sorry I've been thru a lot in the last week.

I will be attending a very close friend of mine's wedding at the end of the year. I'm making I'm my dress as well as altering the wedding dress.

Aunt Kelly
05-04-2019, 09:52 PM
I will be attending such an event this fall, as my authentic self for the first time. It's not ball gown formal, but a smashing cocktail dress will be added to my wardrobe for the occasion. And yes, makeover, hair, nails will consume the day of. Girl clothes aren't usually anything special to me these days, but this will be a little bit so.

OCCarly
05-04-2019, 11:13 PM
I haven’t worn a formal gown but I’ve work cocktail dresses and heels to a few semi formal events. Prep time for me is around three hours when I’m getting really dolled up. Bear in mind I’m three years post hormones and I’ve been out full time for 18 months so I may or may not need to do nail polish and I definitely don’t need to use breast forms.

I’m not quite passable and everyone who knows me knows I’m trans and I’ve never had an issue. Today I went to a Kentucky Derby party in a spring dress and a big sun hat.

My advice? Find an event where you will have open minded tolerant friends and have a good time.

Stephanie47
05-05-2019, 02:13 AM
If I was fifty years younger I'd love to do it. I use to think about the different outfits I'd wear as a participant in the Miss America Pageant. I'd love to be attired in a floor length red evening gown.

t-girlxsophie
05-05-2019, 02:25 AM
Did the formal gown experience at Sparkle Ball in Manchester a few years ago,wore floor length evening gown felt quite wonderful,was lovely too,seeing all the other ladies in their finery.We all had our formal pictures taken on the grand marble staircase

Sophie

Teresa
05-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Molly,
If it's any help my avatar was taken at my social group's Xmas party in a large hotel mixed with with the general public . My first time out was in a full length ballgown for a dinner/dance . It sounds like heaven but the first few times are full of mixed thoughts , there are so many things to think about and you have to expect the unexpected because things do go wrong .

My ideal outings are the parties and dances where we get to mix with the public , I've danced most of the night with GGs from other party groups . Long ballgowns appear to be on the way out, your choice is dictated very much by your confidence level . Bare arms and shoulders can be a step too far the first time , I dared myself with strapless and did get away with it .

On my wish list is cruising as Teresa , the evenings are something special , I was so envious seeing the ladies in all their finery .

Molly Wells
05-05-2019, 05:56 AM
So Kelly,
I'm gonna be nosey.... Is the event your attending in Houston? Is it a pubic event?
Just thinking:daydreaming:

Molly

AllieBellema
05-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Definitely would wear one of my princess or southern belle dresses to a formal ball if I was ever given a chance!

Cheryl T
05-05-2019, 09:03 AM
My old support group had a Christmas party every year and that's exactly how we dressed.
Beautiful cocktail dresses, gowns, gorgeous hair and makeup and it was wonderful!

The first year I found a gorgeous spaghetti strap gown, fire engine red, floor length and it fit perfectly. Strapless bra, waist cincher with garters, sheer black stocking and 4" black stiletto pumps. My wife did my hair and I wore it up with lots of sparkly things she found. Long chandelier earrings and matching necklace and perfect makeup. All we needed was the Red Carpet. It was so much fun.

Patience
05-05-2019, 09:42 AM
I have a couple really nice dresses waiting for the right occasion. I may have to go out of my way to find a venue to wear them.

alwayshave
05-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Molly, I'd love to wear a formal gown. While I tend to dress in cocktail dresses, I have never gotten to wear a gown.

Aunt Kelly
05-05-2019, 01:08 PM
So Kelly,
I'm gonna be nosey.... Is the event your attending in Houston? Is it a pubic event?
Just thinking:daydreaming:

Molly

Hi, Molly.

I'm talking about the Transgender Unity Banquet (http://www.unitybanquet.com/). It most certainly is a public event, held every September "...to acknowledge and honor our allies and advocates."

MarinaTwelve200
05-05-2019, 02:23 PM
In MY case, likely only a Womanless Beauty Contest.---- This is just a test photo session here.

Becoming Brianna
05-05-2019, 02:25 PM
I can't wait to go out for the first time. I know that day is coming soon. I think I want my first outfit to be a dress but I'm not sure what event or where I would wear it to. Probably just have a normal day and see how that feels.

Vikky
05-05-2019, 03:30 PM
I belong to a charity that has regular black tie fundraising events, raffle, band etc. I love the way the women dress and would love to be like them Managed to get a black sequined long dress from Ebay for <£30. I love wearing it but need an even i am brave enough to wear it.
Vikky

Dawn P
05-05-2019, 03:57 PM
My wife father was from Vienna. She still has family there that we visit every couple of years. We plan on going in 2020 for the waltz season.

Sometimes Steffi
05-05-2019, 04:50 PM
BTW, if you don't have a formal gown, you can rent one from Rent the Runway. True designer dresses for 30 to 50 dollars. and much more if you have the money to spend. I've rented several times, and even gone to their store in DC to try on dresses.

Jeri Ann
05-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Hey Molly,

The Transgender Unity Banquet that Kelly is talking about is also a fundraiser. Tickets are $100, I think, and the proceeds got to scholarships and projects in the trans community. The attire is formal or "after five."

I do not have my dress yet but this is what I wore last year;

And the year before;

Another black tie event that I attended recently was the Excellence in Education Gala at Texas Southern University. I did "After Five for that one.

There are formal affairs from time to time in the Houston area. They are almost always fundraisers. One of these days the planets will line up for you. It wouldn't hurt to be prepared for when the door opens. Let me or Kelly know if we can help.

Cheshire girl
05-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Hi Jeri Ann. All three outfits look fantastic as do your makeup hair and jewellery especially the pearls!

Jenn_8B
05-06-2019, 06:30 PM
Jeri Ann,

I absolutely love the first dress!

Molly Wells
05-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Thanks Jeri, Kelly,

Like you say, when the stars line up! My wife was talking the other day that she might have to be out of town in Oct or Nov for a couple of weeks to help with a new grand baby. I would not be able to join her for that long so there will be some time that Molly will get a chance to go out. It's still a good ways off and no schedules have been set but is gets me thinking. :battingeyelashes:
When a schedule is made I will definitely be checking the event calendar. You never know....

Oh Jeri, I love the outfits!

Molly

Asew
05-06-2019, 07:45 PM
I like them, though I only have one semi-formal dress because they aren't as practical (normal women don't wear them often and I have even less opportunity).

Samantha2015
05-07-2019, 12:56 AM
Molly if you can make it to a formal event, I totally think it would be worth it.
My first time wearing a gown out to an event was magical. It's really hard to describe
the feelings I had, other than I never felt more feminine in my life. I was floating around
all night. That was also the hardest night to take everything off, didn't want the feeling to end.

Hope you can experience a magical night like that someday soon.

Beverley Sims
05-08-2019, 06:18 AM
When organising mock weddings I had many opportunities to dress in formal wear and also stand in as a bride on many occasions.

I spent a few first nights consumating the marriage in some way or other.

The bridegroom was always a girl. :-)

Jeri Ann
05-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Hey Molly,

Maybe the planets will align for Halloween like they did for you last year when we went to the Halloween gig at Neon Boots. You can borrow my Wonder Woman costume. I am going to have a different one this year.

BrendaPDX
05-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Maybe not formal but a cocktail party, I would wear a modest dress. But I do have a wedding dress just for fun:heehee:

Felizias
05-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I would defently wear my princess dress. Then I would like to get my hair and make up done by a professional stylist. However, attending a formal ball will probably just be a dream of mine forever, since I am very to shy to go outside.

Molly Wells
05-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Hey Molly,

Maybe the planets will align for Halloween like they did for you last year when we went to the Halloween gig at Neon Boots. You can borrow my Wonder Woman costume. I am going to have a different one this year.

Wonder Woman would be great! However, not sure I could pull off the figure....well though I have entered a weight loss challenge at the office...we'll just have to see :battingeyelashes:

Eemz
05-08-2019, 06:14 PM
I would *love* to do that, I even have the dress: vintage, black sequin floor length. Weighs a ton.

I tried it on at a second hand place over Christmas, just to get a friend to shut up about it, and it fitted like it was made for me. I had to buy it, even though at the time I "knew" I would never be able to wear it and I would normally never spend that kind of money on an outfit I couldn't use. It's been in my wardrobe since.

I'd wear it out now though, if I could find an appropriate event...

Judy-Somthing
05-08-2019, 07:04 PM
I've been searching for the perfect dress for quite a while and today I was thinking that more important than a nice dress is the hairstyle and makeup and smile!

Have Fun Miss Judy!

HollyGreene
05-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Many years ago, my then girlfriend made a ball gown (actually we made it together) and she wore it to a company dinner-dance.
After the event, she said that she couldn't wear it again to another dance, so it ended up in the wardrobe.
But not before I had tried it. She was accepting of my CDing, so she didn't mind. I was taller than her, but very slim at the time, so I managed to get into the dress. It had layer upon layer of net skirting underneath to give that full look.
The skirt part of the dress was blue satin, with a bodice of black velvet. I think I loved wearing it more than she did.
I can't ever see me going out in a ball gown though, as much as I would like to.

NatalieR
05-11-2019, 03:34 PM
I've gone to the "Gayla" in my city for the last four years. It is a charity event that supports our local Gay and Lesbian Youth Services organization. It is always a lot of fun and a great welcoming environment to get all dressed up!!

Caren_G
05-12-2019, 09:12 PM
When I was living in DC, I went to two galas at one of the foreign countries embassies. It was amazing and rented my dress from Rent the Runway in DC. Would do it again if the opportunity presented itself again!

Leslie Mary S
05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
I think it would be sensational to attend a formal event, wearing a beautiful gown and all the accoutrements. I would want to spend the day getting ready, hair, makeup, nails .... Dress to the Nine's

So, if you were to begin planning such an outing what type of venue or event would you look for to attend?
What style or type of dress?

In the fog,

Molly

Molly, Just last weekend we had a "Spring Ball" in Atlanta,GA. To attend you needed to be a member of the hosting CD club.
This is what I wore.

Sometimes Steffi
05-21-2019, 08:47 PM
A picture of me and some girlfriends at the Keystone 2012 Gala Ball

I'm the lady in the red sequined ball gown.

Mods: Note, this picture is public on Flickr

RADER
05-22-2019, 04:12 PM
A Long time ago, I was getting a new Bow Tie for my Tux at a bridal shop.
My wife was with me and I asked If I could get fitted for a Wedding dress.
The SA said that she did not stock any dressed in my size, but for $ 500.00
down payment, she would get me a few to try on.
My wife said to me, $ 500 as a down payment, and where would you wear this
dress??? She than said, for $ 500, you can buy a whole closet full of dresses.
I agreed, but I still wonder what a wedding dress would feel like.
r5ader

Chloe_S
05-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Who doesn't love a beautiful dress! Maybe I'll organize something like there where I live one day. That'd be so fun. :)

Heisthebride
05-25-2019, 09:33 AM
This is absolutely possible. I perform in and attend burlesque shows, and they are very LGBTQIA friendly. Some small shows are casual, but the big shows or festivals are well known for being able to dress up to the nines. For instance I am going to the burlesque hall of fame weekend in Las Vegas and there are 4 nights worth of shows to attend. This will be my 5th year and now I honestly have too many formal dresses now, I’m running out of storage space. I dye my hair, get gel nail extensions, a full body wax and spend 5 nights and 6 days in Vegas getting all dolled up.

The dream is possible, grab the opportunity.

Lindseynrva
05-25-2019, 10:03 AM
Full wedding dress is an amazing experience! I was amazed at how heavy they actually are. Love he feeling of how it hugged my body as it was zipped up and how the full weight was kinda transferred into the body vs the shoulders.

Molly Wells
05-25-2019, 01:04 PM
A wedding dress is certainly on my EnFem bucket list

Molly

kayegirl
05-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Not so much a formal event, but I would really love to go to Ladies Day at Royal Ascot. I have been before, but in male mode. All of the ladies really go to town with their fashions. It was also my wife's 65th birthday, and her outfit cost me an arm and a leg,,,,,,,,but she is worth it. I'm just not certain about the hats.

Kandi Robbins
05-25-2019, 06:30 PM
This thread has certainly gotten some attention!

Nothing like it, done it many different times.

Here is my favorite.

Aunt Kelly
05-25-2019, 09:57 PM
... I'm just not certain about the hats.
LOL The hats are the best part!
I have, for years, toyed with the idea of hosting a Derby Day party, spring fashion, the hats, mint juleps, the works.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Crissy 107
05-26-2019, 05:53 AM
Kandi, You look terrific, it’s that beautiful smile that shows through all the time.