PDA

View Full Version : Why Some And Not Others?

Clare
03-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi all. Just wondering about hormones. Why is it some people get prescribed hormones by a Doctor/therapist, whilst others in similar circumstances don't?

The reason I ask this is because i've read of members who state they are on hormones for 2 years under medical supervision with no ultimate plan to transisition. After they've finished, they hope to have breast growth, fat re-distribution, softer skin, finer hair, etc..., but that's it.

Ok, I can see the reasons, but why are these peiople able to get treatment when others who appear to be in similar circumstances can't? I for example would take female hormones for the rest of my life even if I couldn't afford SRS (not that I plan to at this point in time). Yes, the most obvious attribute would be having breasts as a male, but otherwise the external physical effects of hormones are more subtle. Of course the biggest changes would be internal. Decreased sexual desires, sterility, in addition to the reasons listed in the previous paragraph. I'm told the most difficult aspect to deal with whilst on hormone treatment is the emotional side effects.

Anyways, the point i'm making is, if I go into a therapist and discuss the option of hormones, why is it that unless i'm committed to complete transition, the general medical opinion is to not issue hormones. Why is it if the Brain is transgendered, the body can't receive the hormone treatment to reflect the person's preferred gender status?

I know some people say 'ok it'd be great to be on hormones for a while to see what it's like' - i'm not talking about them, but those who'd be committed long term to medically supervised hormone treatment who may not ever transition (for whatever reason).

And me? I have yet to venture down the path of seeking hormone treatment, but this post is part of my research and i'm looking for constructive comments on my views. I don't want to get this wrong!

DonnaT
03-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Well Clare, I reckon it depends on one's therapist/doctor, as they do have a practise and licence to protect.

Hormones can cause health problems and they may worry about being sued.

Maria D
03-24-2006, 01:43 PM
The concensus on not issuing hormones straight away comes from the HB standards of care, which are 'guidelines' for the treatment of TG people. Professionals are expected to follow them, but are not actually bound by them.
They recommend that at least 3 months of therapy occur before hormones are prescribed, unless the patient is self-medicating in which case they can be prescribed immediately, at the professional's discression.

That's the 'party line', but at the end of the day, when you sit down in front of a professional, he is an individual and will make a decision that will differ from that made by other professionals, in exactly the same way all people have differing opinions.
That simply means that, rather than being treated by an impartial robot, as everyone should be, treatment will vary.

As to effects, they are fairly subtle, yes. I just 'look' more feminine now without being able to put a finger on 'how', but emotionally I'm fine. No big ups or downs at all, just a general happiness I put down to transition being right for me, rather than drugs. Before transition I can honestly say my emotions weren't affected by drugs at all. Of course, it's hard (impossible?) to seperate the effects on emotions of hormones with the effects on emotions of the effects of 'seeing the changes caused by hormones', if that makes sense.
Mind you, when I think about it, 'male' puberty didn't affect my moods much (other than the upset of being male), so perhaps that's an indication? Just a thought.

As to fat shifting, my hips are now vast but my belly hasn't shrunk much: 30 inch waist, I feel fat, but hopefully in time it'll budge.

Take care :)

Julie Avery
03-24-2006, 02:39 PM
30 inch waist, I feel fat:)

Heavens to Murgatroyd, the last time I had a 30 inch waist was....well....I'm not tellin' ;)