PDA

View Full Version : Do your pictures mirror, your mirror

Rachael Leigh
05-21-2019, 05:50 PM
Ok I know strange title but let me explain, I often can put myself together do my best makeup job
fix my own hair or a wig check the mirror and I’m like oh yeah I’m confidant I will pass, well mostly.
So I’m like oh I have to get a picture and then when I look it’s like where did that cute lady go?
I’m so manly I can’t go out like this (I usually do though) so what is it that can change from the reality
of the mirror to the image of the picture?
I’m not honesty sure I’m sure lighting plays a role or just maybe the profile or many other things but
for those who have this kind of thinking don’t be afraid to be you despite what the picture or the mirror
says. If you want to go out go out. Be appropriate and blend especially if your going solo
Blessings Rachael

Macey
05-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Omg, I so know what you mean! And sometimes the opposite as well, I look in the mirror and say 'well … as good as it's gonna get today, I guess', then the photo comes out great for some reason. I wonder how much is lighting, angle, personal mood, context, etc. yadda yadda yadda.

Tracii G
05-21-2019, 05:58 PM
When you look in the mirror you are seeing a reverse 2 dimensional image of yourself.
When I look in the mirror I see a tranny that needs to lose a lot of weight LOLOL
Lighting and angle have a lot to do with it.
I agree with the just go out and be yourself.

mykell
05-21-2019, 06:07 PM
my avatar is a good example of what you just described, no forms :D chest hair hanging out :o total blooper but yet there it is, something magical happened.....:battingeyelashes:

MarinaTwelve200
05-21-2019, 06:20 PM
I never COULD get 'a handle" on how I looked in the mirror---so I have always taken PHOTOS instead.

Micki_Finn
05-21-2019, 06:26 PM
Yeah, cameras tend to lie a bit. The most common problem I see are selfies. Most cameras are actually made to be used at a slightly longer focal distance than your arm provides. Tracii also touched on the other issue. A photo of yourself is actually a flipped image of how you normally see yourself in a mirror, so everything looks a little... off.

Lighting and angles make a difference too.

docrobbysherry
05-21-2019, 07:38 PM
I see the same Sherry in my mirrors as my pics. Of course, I'm a bit nearsited!:brolleyes:

The difference is, I can edit my pics. NOT my mirror!:D

Veronica4me
05-21-2019, 08:49 PM
You're braver than I could ever be to go out, Rachael. Good for you for venturing on ahead. I prefer seeing myself in photos to the mirror, as I can take shots from different angles and different lighting. The mirror only shows me the front. Still, Veronica remains in her closet, no matter how the photos turn out.

Patience
05-22-2019, 01:07 AM
what is it that can change from the reality
of the mirror to the image of the picture?

1) Mirrors tend to be stationary, while cameras tend to be mobile,
2) Taking out the size factor, all mirrors are interchangeable. That is, they all reflect things with the same degree of accuracy. Picture quality in cameras varies between models; from variations in product quality to design (plastic lenses vs. glass lenses, etc.)
3) Mirrors only have one (normal) focal length, while many cameras can be adjusted to wideangle, telephoto, and sometimes even macro modes.
4) Talking about focal length, mirrors have practically infinite depth of field, meaning that everything reflected in a mirror is in focus. Cameras allow the user to adjust the focus to better highlight the subject and blur the background.
5) Mirrors represent all colors with 100% accuracy (or damn near). Cameras can't do that.
6) Mirror images can only be seen when one’s looking at the mirror. Cameras can be mounted on tripods and similar devices, enabling the user to photograph themselves from various angles.
7) Mirrors depend on ambient light to show their subject; Some cameras can compensate for the lack of lighting with built in flashes, which affect image quality and vary in quality.
8) Mirrors are low tech objects, while cameras can be very high-tech.
9) Mirrors are basically useless underwater. Underwater cameras are a popular consumer item.
10) You'll never see Sean Penn punching a guy holding a mirror (no mirror wielding paparazzi)
11) Breaking a camera doesn’t get you seven years of bad luck.

...or was the question rhetorical?

I take pics of myself, look in the mirror, and take pics of myself looking at mirrors. I'm always pretty. :daydreaming:

alwayshave
05-22-2019, 05:58 AM
Rachael, Sometimes love my look in the mirror, always hate my pictures. So I know exactly what you speak of.

sara66
05-22-2019, 06:25 AM
The best thing about taking pictures is you can delete them. I am fine with most pics, but I tend to work on lighting. mirrors are more accurate. trust the mirror.
Sara

Eemz
05-22-2019, 06:39 AM
I think one of the photographers here (maybe Teresa?) said in the past that phone cameras have a focal length that is a jack-of-all-trades compromise for the mix of distances they're expected to capture, but is too short (or long? either way, wrong) for closeup shots like a selfie. The subject is in focus but a sort of "fish eye" effect happens, like the image has been stretched over the surface of a large sphere. At least that's how I explain the giant nose/nostrils in most of my photos to myself :)

Connie D50
05-22-2019, 06:46 AM
I know what you mean I see something completely different in the mirror then in a picture, and the picture is at lease 15 pound heavier. The bad thing is the 15 lbs are in both male and female pictures.

CarlaWestin
05-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Pictures, the mirror and passing are three different things. When I'm doing makeup, the close view in the mirror looks like drunk landscapers on the surface of the moon. I've had some images come out super realistic, totally by accident. Those are the gems I'm mining for. And then there's passing. Something that I've come to the conclusion is a rare event. In all of my videos and even with totally transitioned friends there's that marker that genetic males are just bigger than females.

Your mileage may vary.

Majella St Gerard
05-22-2019, 08:09 AM
Walking around town and seeing how people dress, I wonder if they have any mirrors in their house to begin with.
I trust the mirror, the camera is just for documentation and to get a rear view.

abbiedrake
05-22-2019, 08:50 AM
I think one of the photographers here (maybe Teresa?) said in the past that phone cameras have a focal length that is a jack-of-all-trades compromise for the mix of distances they're expected to capture, but is too short (or long? either way, wrong) for closeup shots like a selfie. The subject is in focus but a sort of "fish eye" effect happens, like the image has been stretched over the surface of a large sphere. At least that's how I explain the giant nose/nostrils in most of my photos to myself :)

I think my camera has the same 'defect', Eemz!!
Like a barrage balloon that's had a normal-sized face fired onto it by RPG.
😬

Robertacd
05-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Oh, I am sure that I don't look as good as I feel. But you know what? It's not usually my makeup or that I look like a MIAD. I can't smile if I know someone is taking my picture, or if I am trying to look sexy, or whatever. I usually end up looking stupid, but I love candid photos of myself.

Rachael Leigh
05-22-2019, 10:46 AM
So most recently what I find most difficult for me is I’m using my natural hair more often when I’m out so yes that’s a big step but then when I see pictures it just doesn’t look right but I feel confidant with that mirrored look. I’ve really started a more social transition now so being the real me with my own hair has become important to me

Teresa
05-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Rachel,
It depends what you take the pictures with , most smartphone cameras use a very wide angle lens ( that's why you can include so much in a selfie ) the problem is wide angle makes facial features look distorted , that is the nose and chin , the two features most males need to play down .

OK try an experiment , either set a normal cmaera with a zoom lens up on a tripod or good support or ask someone to take your picture but try using the longest lens setting ( opposite of the wide angle ) now notice the differnece in your facial features or if you've taken a full length how much better your proportions look .

As you know I was a professional photographer for thirty years and never took a portrait on a wide angle lens , long lenses flatter people .

Eemz,
I've just read your reply thanks for remembering . Micki says the camera does lie , well I would say a professional learns how to flatter , of course lighting does help .

Stephanie47
05-22-2019, 11:18 AM
My experience with picture taking is my eye see what the mind wants to see. However, a photo does show the real me. Many photos are group shots of me and the women in my life who are of average height. I tower over them. I tower over most males. I haven't lost too much height (72 inches). My weight is fine for my height and bone structure. The photos bring me back to the reality that blending en femme is not viable. Yep, there's a man in a dress.

Robertacd
05-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Tresa's post made me remember something. Last week I was at a TG conference and they take Yearbook photos.

The lady taking the photos was a real professional. She made sure everyone looked their best. One of the things I had never expected was when we were posing. We were sitting, and she had us lean forward slightly and look up at the camera. The whole time she was saying "I know it seems silly, but I have been doing this a long time, and it makes everyone look better.".

You know what? She was right, that was probably one of the most flattering pictures of myself I have ever seen.

Rachael Leigh
05-22-2019, 12:43 PM
This was a professional picture taken on my cruise and so yes Teresa done properly it can look great
I think this is my best picture taken with my natural hair and look

BLUE ORCHID
05-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Hi Rachel :daydreaming:, Your Mirror & Camera can be your best friend or your worst enemy. >Orchid ..o:daydreaming:o..

Devi SM
05-22-2019, 01:23 PM
I think that the beauty is in the eyes of who sees it.
I use the mirror just to check myself, everything is in place and nothing wrong of forgotten.
Pics are just to show others what we like of ourselves, but let's be honest, after tons of pics we select just the good ones (I remember I could do 200 pics before select one) Are the other pics not real? They are but we don't like them. So probably that's the way people could see us, in the way we don't like but they won't say anything. Just my wife makes honest comments to help me.
I was used, as many here to cover the dark shadow of the shaved beard and moustache but that's no real. I'm a trasgender and the reality people needs to see is a trasgender woman not a very well produced man in women's dress.
I'm working on get electrolysis done. After that, some day I will do some FFS, for the meantime, this is me and pictures and mirrors lie, I'm a beautiful trasgender woman...lol

Devi

Michaelasfun
05-22-2019, 01:32 PM
304338Yes!lol

Eemz
05-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Walking around town and seeing how people dress, I wonder if they have any mirrors in their house to begin with.

Ain't that the truth :)

Sallee
05-22-2019, 01:44 PM
what I find interesting is some photos on the same day I look great in and others I couldn't pass at night to a blind person. I can be in the same outfit and inthe same place, different pose. I think it may be in how you feel and your confidence level.
Oh Well keep it fun and enjoy most people don't care and don't notice

Amelie
05-22-2019, 03:34 PM
I don't have that problem, I have no mirrors, I'm a Vampire.

Roberta said something useful about camera angle. Type "Emo Girl" in google search and take a look at the images of these girls. Most have pics taken with the camera above their head. I use that technique when taking pics.

Tracii G
05-22-2019, 04:04 PM
Thats the old selfie stick pose Amelie.

Robertacd
05-22-2019, 04:51 PM
In general putting the camera above eye level makes your eyes look bigger and brighter and that makes everyone look better

Tahoegurl
05-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Rachael, such a great discussion. Some days I think I am on point t when I look in the mirror and when I take the picture I wonder what the heck happened. I do agree that it also has to do with how I feel about myself at that moment. It is easier to be good with my presentation when I am at peace on the inside. Thanks for post. Cheers.

MarinaTwelve200
05-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Try THIS OTHER TRICK----Instead of The Mirror OR a Photograph Do a VIDEO instead---I find it VERY HARD to snap a pic of myself and make it look good. But I can do a video and find FRAMES that make GREAT PHOTOS---I finally get to see what my "female self" is supposed to look like. ;) Snip the frame and use THAT as your photo (s). Of course a good HD computer cam works best. You get lighting, poses and angles you never may have thought of

BrendaPDX
05-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Being from the old film days, what I really love is being able to take so may pictures and then be choosy, I try not to delete them because they can be so amusing. Some poses I used to try or moods to set are now so embarrassing/OMG over the top! But every so often you find one or two good ones. I use a Fuji water proof camera because it has an interval timer and zoom lens, and it works in Oregon weather especially when it's raining:)

Teresa
05-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Amelia/Roberta,
The correct position to take a close up portrait is at eye level , the eyes tell the story . For a full length the correct position is waist level , that evens up most people's body shape . I don't want to get too technical but all my photographs were taken on a Bronica SQAi with a 150mm lens which is a square film format with a lens twice the normal focal length . I always used a surdy tripod with a long cable release so I could concentrate on the person.

Another good tip is when taking pictures is change sides , we do have a good side , the face isn't symetrical , one side is wider than the other , that can sometimes explain why some pictures look better than others .

Angie G
05-23-2019, 12:04 PM
When I look in the mirror I LOOK GOOD. My camera tells me a different story. :hugs:
Angie

Meghan4now
05-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Rachel,

After considering this debate several times over the years, and generally disliking a lot of photos, I've come to the conclusion that:

A- Both are true. When you look in the mirror what you see is correct, and you adjust the best you can. But it is an instance in time, with certain lighting and angles. But because you have the most control, field of depth, change in angle, you tend to see the best. Photos are also absolutely true as well, but being an even narrower slice of time and being stagnant, show the effects of lighting and angles more. Yes that IS what you look like under those circumstances. But as has been mentioned the photo can produce effects that make you look thinner, fatter, lighter or darker. I remember taking a photo of my catch as a teenager. I held the fish away from my body, and they appeared bigger, but so did my fingers!

B - In either case, if you've done your best, and you're happy and are enjoying the experience either alone or out with friends,neither really matters. Even super models don't look like supermodels in real life.

SaraLin
05-24-2019, 04:45 AM
One thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned...
When you look in the mirror, what you see is REVERSED (mirror image, get it?:heehee:) - but camera pictures aren't.
That's probably part of why they don't look right - unless you take a picture of yourself in a mirror instead of a 'selfie' (I don't know why, but I hate that term...)

Tracii G
05-24-2019, 06:33 AM
I mentioned that in post #3 SaraLin.

luuv2dress
05-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Omg YES!! Going through that now taking pictures. I’m steadily looking for better light because it has to be the camera 😆

Leslie Mary S
05-24-2019, 11:09 AM
I use a tripod and a 10 second delay when I use my phone. I just bought a new tripod (like I need another one, already have 4) that will allow me to mount a second camera OR a cell Phone. My cell has zoom and I place the camera about 6 feet away and zoom to show were I will be in the photo.
A nice thing about a camera photo is that I can change the backgrounds.

This is an example of changing backgrounds.

When doing art, I sometimes look at my artwork through a mirror, It makes unseen flaws visible.

SaraLin
05-25-2019, 04:16 AM
I mentioned that in post #3 SaraLin.

oops! Sorry. Somehow, I missed it. (retreating red-faced)

Kenita
05-25-2019, 07:56 PM
I had a chance to spend some time with my dead father in the funeral parlor. They did a good job and he looked great. Much better than in the hospital or recent times. I took a photo to remember him looking good. The picture was of a gruesome dead body. Looked horrible. The funeral director says it happens all the time.

In-person people’s minds add a lot that the camera does not. The human eye and brain are really incredible. They have capabilities beyond any current camera. (Higher dynamic range, ability to focus attention, seeing depth.)

In a mirror, we see ourselves as interpreted by our brain. Whether that helps us see our fantasy image of ourselves or our self doubts and flaws depends on many factors including our mood.

Rachael Leigh
05-25-2019, 09:41 PM
I had a chance to spend some time with my dead father in the funeral parlor. They did a good job and he looked great. Much better than in the hospital or recent times. I took a photo to remember him looking good. The picture was of a gruesome dead body. Looked horrible. The funeral director says it happens all the time.

In-person people’s minds add a lot that the camera does not. The human eye and brain are really incredible. They have capabilities beyond any current camera. (Higher dynamic range, ability to focus attention, seeing depth.)

In a mirror, we see ourselves as interpreted by our brain. Whether that helps us see our fantasy image of ourselves or our self doubts and flaws depends on many factors including our mood.

This is a really great explanation, thanks

Beverley Sims
05-28-2019, 12:50 AM
I sometimes wonder what I have done wrong as the look is not there, other times a quick dab of makeup and casuals and I really do rock.

At least I think so. :-)

Photographs are a good way to check yourself out.

ReneeTD
05-31-2019, 12:40 AM
Static pictures vs. the mirror where you can see dynamic motion. I don't spend much time looking in the mirror, but I have taken somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 pictures. Only around 70 of those make my "best of" list. With such a poor ratio I have to assume that the mirror is a liar.

Lydianne
06-01-2019, 12:28 AM
The reversal by the mirror alone doesn't explain the picture of the mirror image versus the mirror image of the picture :thinking:. They are both reversed. Otherwise, we could fix all pics simply by mirroring them ( and we wouldn't be talking so much about this :straightface: ).

I think there is a more influential contribution from how the brain 'averages out' the frames sent to it live ( as Renee suggested ), while the camera only captures one single frame. Note that the brains of other people looking at you will be doing the same thing . . .

- Lydianne.

Palaina Nocturnus
06-01-2019, 01:55 AM
Thankfully I'm able to live life how my pictures look, for the most part. My girlfriend asked that I not fully dress up like in a dress around her 11 year old daughter. I agreed since we only have her every other week. I usually only wear makeup on special occasions

- - - Updated - - -

I do wear capris and short shorts around her daughter, sometimes she will wear the same outfit I'm wearing so I look at her mom like come on! Lol she knows and doesn't care even if she is young. Her friend had lesbian parents.

Lydianne
06-01-2019, 03:42 AM
"Thankfully", indeed! Smart agreement on your part. Gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em!

If the presence of her eleven-year-old every other week is your only restriction, then your holy grail is half full. Cheers! :ms:..

The limits some others here have reported are much tighter.

That said, though, acceptance from an eleven year old is extremely cool! :thumbsup:. However, you probably wouldn't want to risk exposing her to the hazards of non-acceptance of you by others until she's old enough to handle it. We tell each other all the time here to stay safe.

- Lydianne.